Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

OH! Oh, oh, oh. I forgot that I made potato soup. Well, I made a cross between french onion soup and potato soup. Like a creamy french onion with potatoes in it. I love french onion soup, I just don't love the bread they stick in it. No soggy things. So I carmellized my onions like you do for french onion then just made it like potato soup and put cheese on it. It's very good! and I made meatloaf. Meatloaf to me is just a conduit to get meatloaf sammiches. Spectacular!

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I feel like meatloaf is one of the culinary world's unappreciated treasures. Cold meatloaf sandwiches on toasted rye bread with ketchup? YES!!  

As a foreigner, apart from the ‘bat out of hell dude’ I’ve heard meatloaf mentioned a gazillion times, what exactly is meatloaf?

Pretty much ground beef mixed with breadcrumbs and other spices mixed together, shaped into a loaf and then baked. Pretty much a giant hamburger. It's usually served hot with brown gravy and mashed potatoes. It's considered a classic American comfort food, but it's got a bit of a "low-brow" reputation. 

• Love 1

We do like a dis-assembled shepherds pie, mashed potatoes separately with possibly peas although we don't like peas nearly as much as brits do. And the meat as a big lump.  Slap some gravy over everything. But yes the sandwich is the thing of beauty. I need better bread my bread caint handle my meat! THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID.

I did a combo of pork and beef ( I know shepherds pie suppsed to be lamb)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Pretty much ground beef mixed with breadcrumbs and other spices mixed together, shaped into a loaf and then baked. Pretty much a giant hamburger. It's usually served hot with brown gravy and mashed potatoes. It's considered a classic American comfort food, but it's got a bit of a "low-brow" reputation. 

Thanks, I’m desperately trying to think of an equivalent in the UK, without much success. I’m sure there is one though 🤔

A big hunk of ground meat, with herbs and spices and formed Into a shape? The nearest I can think of, although hardly English, is a Doner kebab, but with beef, which if good, I’m a sucker for.

It sounds delicious, I’ll have to download a few recipes, and to hell with ‘low brow’ 🖕

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1

I'm surprised they don't have something similar meatloaf in pubs. You can get Shepard's pie in Irish bars here, I'm a big fan. I'd like to try some of the UK savory pies, like steak and kidney pie. There's nothing really similar here. 

I  think early americans just unilaterally defied all things done the "british" way when they got here. They quit eating meat things in pie form. We said "fuck you I'm driving on the other side" and besides dumping the tea in the Boston harbor we also said "fuck you, we like it cold!" You like your food bland, we are gonna throw so much spice and crap in there it'll give us high blood pressure! You boil it, we fry it. We can't call our dessert "pudding" and we have cookies, not "biscuits". Our biscuits are fluffy doughy things we put gravy on. We even turned our fanny around to the back side!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'm surprised they don't have something similar meatloaf in pubs. You can get Shepard's pie in Irish bars here, I'm a big fan. I'd like to try some of the UK savory pies, like steak and kidney pie. There's nothing really similar here. 

I’ve never liked Shepherd’s or cottage pie, not that they’re really pies, not having any pastry around them. We do make some lovely pies and pasties, steak and kidney being my favourite, followed by a good Cornish pasty. Most traditional English Fayre  leaves me cold I’m afraid, I’m much more into food from the more exotic areas of the world 🌶️

• Love 1
On 2/24/2020 at 1:24 PM, Superclam said:

I'll check out the first couple of episodes. 

They appear to be showing the early days of the outbreak, which we all hoped ‘Fear’ would have spent more time on, but yeah, I’ll give them a fair chance.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1

This has been a very expensive week for me. Aside from buying a house or a car I haven't spent this much money in forever. First my taxes, I got eaten alive having to do my sister's and mine, I moved money around this year and hoo boy, it hurts. Next year goes back to normal. And because I cursed myself by bitching about my evil sister getting stuff for free, of course, my refrigerator died. RIP. Rassin, frassin *#!S&*?@#!!  I went to get ice and no ice. Saw a thawed chicken breast in a bag, poked a shrimp and sure enough, everything up top was thawed. Opened the fridge side and it's still cool so I moved the thawed stuff, cooked the shrimp. Put stuff in an ice chest and went to scroll new fridges online. It was over 10 years old but I'm going backwards, I bought the cheapest thing that would fit and this here dead one was my "cadillac" fridge from way back, never before did I have ice and water in the door. Only had ice makers in apartments. This one made me a delicious lazy "frappe" I would make a toffee espresso drink and put my crushed ice in it. No blender. You were such a good boy, you'll be missed. Pour a warm one out for my homie

Back to ice cube trays.

I purchased a little mini fridge to keep a few things cold til Friday. I feel like I'm in college but we didn't have cool ones. Mine is a dry erase board, I can leave myself notes. ha!

Now I have a dilema, I changed the lock on my front door about 6 months ago, something was loose. I didn't change the back door, I do not know where my old keys are. I didn't throw them out, der, I'm not THAT stupid. I thought I put them on the table or in the drawer nearest to the back door. It's gonna mighty difficult for them to bring in the new fridge if I can't get my back door unlocked. clearly I am the brightest bulb. If I go buy a lock like I did the front door can I unscrew it and get my ding dang door open?

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

"Pasties" have a whole different meaning over on this side of the pond.

I’ve said it before, but thank heavens for the differences between nations 😋

Regarding Year Of The Rabbit, that passed me by completely, I’d never even heard of it. I’ve just watched the first two episodes and must thank you for giving me the heads up, I’m not surprised you didn’t really get it, it was certainly on the weird side, but none the less hilarious in places. Sarcasm plays a great part in our humour, meant in a friendly way for the most part, which is often hard for people to get their head around. I think the shows Frasier and Veep are the closest I’ve seen from over there to getting it pretty much perfect.

There was a lot of ‘Cockney / London’ slang in the dialogue which must be pretty unintelligible to not only those outside of the UK, but for those in the UK who live outside of London. It was definitely a brave effort to set the show in the period it was, yet I think it worked really well, I can’t believe I’ve never seen it before 😪

• Love 1

Now I want to see Year of the Rabbit. There was a time when I watched nothing but UK crime dramas.

I watched the Dispatches From Elsewhere last night after TWD, not sure about it.

Got my back door unlocked (sounds dirty) fridge delivered, remembered the recipe for ice, then left my ice on the counter. Got my eyes dilated...what else? Hectic weekend which I don't enjoy, I like to nap.

My stupid sister is on a roll, she posted on facebook that my sister died of HPV and complications of pneumonia. COPD FFS, I just want to strangle her.

I got the year of the rabbit! i like that guy. He’s on “what we do in the shadows”. 
And I made the most fantastical coconut shrimp with coconut rice. Current new favorite. Wheeee

38 minutes ago, nachomama said:

I got the year of the rabbit! i like that guy. He’s on “what we do in the shadows”. 

I love What We Do In the Shadows! Both the show and the movie! I should check out Year of the Rabbit. 

• Useful 1

You were saying before about your eating lifestyle, that you limit yourself to one cup of pasta or rice.   I assume that is a cooked measurement and not a before cooking measurement.  I also assume that measurement is prior to adding any sauce to the pasta.

Am I correct?

You are indeed. I actually weigh out 167 grams of pasta, because a cup is vague depending on the shape. If that makes me sound a bit obsessive? Guilty! 

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Superclam said:

I love What We Do In the Shadows! Both the show and the movie! 

I have never heard of it.

The movie is by Taika Waititi and Jermaine Clement and is about a group of vampires from New Zealand done in mockumentary style. It makes fun of various vampire tropes. 

The show is in the same universe and style, but set in Staten Island. 

Both have ridiculous scenarios like vampires dividing up house chores. 

• Useful 1

They also have an "emotional" vampire where they suck happiness out of you, like he's just a nerd who talks useless facts and then pokes holes in whatever stuff you're enthused about. and they had 2, one was a sad sack who always had a horrible story to make everyone feel sad. If you had a balloon she had a cousin who was killed in a tragic balloon accident. Or a drop of water made her cat die. And the 2 vampires competed to see who could suck the life out of everyone at the office. They keep talking about going out and killing people but then they'll debate the greenhouse effect or how pollution is ruining the environment.

I really do love Taika Waititi and want to see JoJo Rabbit even though subject matter is bizarre at best. I really do gravitate to some weird stuff.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, nachomama said:

And I made the most fantastical coconut shrimp with coconut rice. Current new favorite. Wheeee

Recipe please?!?

• Love 1

It is not the fried coconut shrimp. basically stir fry some shrimp with whatever veg you like. And put in a little amaretto, yes I thought it was weird too. but amaretto. for the rice you cook with coconut milk, (there is a soup stock coconut milk that would work well) a little extra coconut flavor if you like and heavy cream at the end to make it saucy. A tiny dollop of sweetened condensed milk which I happened to have a can of "coconut" sweetened condensed milk. Yes it's a sweet sauce but with the savory shrimp. It were tasty.

3 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Nashville? Just read about the tornadoes. Not sure you really are IN Nashville but if you are I hope you're okay!

Yeah, a cousin posted on FB about her son. His mattress was sucked out his window and the roof of his house was torn off! 😳

That's so scary. My mom grew up in Iowa and they had a tornado once and they didn't think they had any damage until they got upstairs and 1 single solitary shaft(?) stalk whatever you call it, wheat was in a window pane. The window was NOT broken or cracked but it now had a blade of wheat through it. Blows hard enough to force a plant through glass and yet didn't bust the window or bring the house down. So freaky

13 hours ago, Superclam said:

This cousin is in the Germantown area (I don't know Nashville at all) and got hit very hard, apparently. 

Yup - Germantown got nailed.

They’ve expanded the track from the earlier reports - what the NWS apparently originally thought were 3-4 separate tornadoes were actually the same one, varying in strength as it passed over different terrains:

• Originally touched down at/around John C. Tune Airport (in the northwest part of Nashville) as an EF-2.
  • Skipped and came down again in Germantown (NNE part of Nashville), continuing as an EF-2.
  • Drove straight through Germantown to the Cumberland River, skipped again over the River - gathering force in the process - and came down again  in East Nashville as an EF-3.
  • Plowed straight east through the East Nashville, Donelson, and Hermitage neighborhoods - at which point it left Nashville/Davidson County and entered Wilson County - and continued through the adjoining city (Mount Juliet) as an EF-3.
  • The next town after Mt. Juliet was Lebanon.  The NWS says by that time it had downgraded slightly (from an EF-3 to a strong EF-2), but you couldn’t tell it by what it did to my friend’s neighborhood - his house took significant damage but was left standing; the house across the street from him, though, was (to use his word) “erased” - scrubbed down to the slab.
  • After Lebanon it continued running through two more counties without stopping.  No report on what Fujita scale strength grade it was at that point, but why there’s no report should give you a clue: the damage is so extensive and severe the local emergency services (a) have only been able to do search&recovery on about 40% of the damaged structures in those counties, and (b) have deemed the area still too dangerous to allow the NWS folks in to gauge the extent of the damage.

A couple of final factoids to provide some perspective on this SOB:

1. This fucker was a FAST mover/shaker.  It covered something like 50 miles in 45 minutes - which, for the math-impaired, translates to something in the neighborhood of 67 miles / 107 kilometers per hour.
  2. Donelson Christian Academy (DCA) was a Nashville school which got TOTALLY nuked; people were finding twister-carried debris from the school (papers with the DCA letterhead) in Cookeville - 70 miles away.

So - how was your evening?

7 hours ago, Nashville said:

This fucker was a FAST mover/shaker.  It covered something like 50 miles in 45 minutes - which, for the math-impaired, translates to something in the neighborhood of 67 miles / 107 kilometers per hour.

OMG. I cannot imagine the terror of seeing that thing coming at you. So sorry for all those poor people who didn't make it. 😧

6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

What scale do you have? 

I assume it is digital.  

How accurate is it?

I have been looking for one for years, but never bought one because I wanted one that was accurate and was going to last.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to find one where there weren't a significant number of purchasers complaining about them.

It says "Kitchen Gurus." It looks like a piece of glass with a digital scale. I don't know how accurate it is. It keeps my portions in check, so that's all I need. It goes a long time without a battery change. 

• Useful 1

FYI - the area NWS was slow in surveying because local emergency managers had initially deemed it too dangerous to let them in?  They finally made it in, and that tornado ended up clocking out as an EF-4.

8B18DAFF-E292-4F1F-8623-2493E9A23955.jpeg.ec181d778e93d5d645d37c588278476f.jpeg

7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Are most of those homes built on slabs or do they have finished cellars?

They’re generally older homes - a mix of cellars and crawlspaces.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I follow somebody in tennessee on twitter and he's been posting photos, holy schnikeys. And there was some photo on facebook of a lone house that was completely untouched and literally everything around it was flattened. Aerial shot and it's just flat, flat, flat, trees and everything, just down, and then poof, house. like it was brand new construction on land that had been cleared. except the opposite.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, nachomama said:

I follow somebody in tennessee on twitter and he's been posting photos, holy schnikeys. And there was some photo on facebook of a lone house that was completely untouched and literally everything around it was flattened. Aerial shot and it's just flat, flat, flat, trees and everything, just down, and then poof, house. like it was brand new construction on land that had been cleared. except the opposite.

Yep.  I have a friend who rents a house in East, a couple of blocks from Five Points. He was one of the first I contacted (at about 1:30-2:00am); his house was untouched*, but two blocks away he described it as “looks like a war zone with downed utility poles and collapsed buildings”.

* His property is still not totally out of jeopardy, though; part of a neighbor’s carport roof is up in the top of one of his trees, about 25 feet up.  His response was typical: “Who am I supposed to call for THIS shit?  Metro, or a tree guy?”

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I have been watching a lot of Hogan's Heroes episodes lately.  It is one of my favorite series.   That said, there must have been quite a few ball bearing plants in WWII.   It seems like they spent more time taking them out than anything else. 

Schweinfurt was the main ball bearing target for the USAAF, the oilfields of Ploesti Romania, and city of Kassel in Germany were particularly costly for the US. It makes me weep to this day to think of the poor kids who died over foreign lands, both US and UK and it’s dominions. Bomber command lost over 55500 ‘men’, the US about 26000 (as far as I remember) such a tragic waste of the best people of all nations 😥

• Useful 1

This is sort of a tangent shift but speaking of WWII I watched "A Good Liar" the other night. I liked it but it was nowhere near about what I thought it was about. I thought it was a serious version of "Dirty, Rotten, Scoundrels" where they are con artist conning con artists but as a drama. Completely different and had a little WWII spin that was nifty. If you need an activity I recommend.

• Useful 1

Coronavirus talk, including how we're surviving our so far NOT zombie plague, can now be found here.  If you want to talk about how it's affecting you or just keeping your toilet paper hoard safe from dickish scavengers, please discuss it there instead of in this thread.

• Love 1

Got to record most of this current season of "Homeland"  with a free Showtime preview this weekend, couple movies I think so I'll have some stuff to watch but I just saw a preview for something I want to see badly. "Run" which has Merritt Weaver and Domhall Gleeson. I will watch pretty much anything either of them is in and it's coming to HBO I think June or July and now I have a sad because I can't have it now and don't have HBO. I wish Starz would take the hint and do a preview so I could catch up with this season of Outlander.

Also watched the beginning of the Karate Kid this weekend. They relocated from New Jersey for his mom's job but she was a waitress. After he checks out the dojo and comes back to visit his mom she says "they want to train me as a manager, 2 nights a week and the benefits, you can't beat the benefits I COULD NEVER GET THAT WORKING WITH COMPUTERS" and I just laughed and laughed. Ralph Macchio was so tiny! and I remembered when we used to watch it endlessly and I was always obsessed with one of the bad guy's buddies. He was a terrible background actor, at the end of the movie when they're all "sweep the leg" his eyes are bugging out of his head. He always made me laugh at the time.

Edited by nachomama
  • Useful 1

I missed the premiere but there's a new sitcom "Council of Dads" that films here, I believe it's based on one of the writers family who was from here. I have no idea if it's good or not but it films near me a lot. There's a park behind my house and I get flyers notifying me all the time that they're filming there. I'll try to catch a repeat. Sarah Wayne Callies is the "mom"  (Rick's late wife, Judith's mom)

6 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

You lucky Canadians, it’s just been on the news that harry hewitt and what’s her name have moved to California, Hollywood apparently, how apt.🙄

I believe it's Los Angeles and still very apt. I tried to shed a tear over their departure from my fair land but failed.

cbrBrb7_400x400.jpg

• LOL 1

Free Starz preview this weekend so I watched a couple movies. Who has seen "Once upon a time in Hollywood"? that and Uncut Gems recently pissed me off. Yes, much bigger things in the world to worry about but seriously annoyed by both movies. (they are good, so I'm not NOT recommending them, I learned long ago that my take away from films is vastly different than most other people)