Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

Just personally, I find Lauren's accent the most "dramatic" or overdone if you will. Andrew Lincoln's was pretty bad too. Morgan's was much more subtle, IMO. I'm neither British nor a southerner, so I may not be the best judge. I am from NYC, and whenever I hear an overdone NY accent I cringe a little. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Superclam said:

Just personally, I find Lauren's accent the most "dramatic" or overdone if you will. Andrew Lincoln's was pretty bad too. Morgan's was much more subtle, IMO. I'm neither British nor a southerner, so I may not be the best judge. I am from NYC, and whenever I hear an overdone NY accent I cringe a little. 

Lol, I had to delete the post because I’ve had enough warnings about saying the wrong thing in the wrong place 😱
how many distinct accents would you say there were in NYC? 

Edited by OoohMaggie
3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

how many distinct accents would you say there were in NYC? 

Tough to say. Linguists say there is only one, but that is not my experience at all. It differs more from national origin than from geographical location. For example, a girl with Dominican parents is going to sound a lot different than an older person of Jewish heritage. 

More importantly, we all say "cawfee." 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, Superclam said:

Brits (and Aussies, for that matter) doing Southern accents is usually entertaining in a (probably) unintentional manner.  I came to the conclusion several years ago that a LOT of the speech dialect coaches in England must be using old Slim Whitman recordings as their base material - which is really funny when you consider the true Southern dialects are closer in everything except inflection to the Queen’s English than any other American dialect.  😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

which is really funny when you consider the true Southern dialects are closer in everything except inflection to the Queen’s English than any other American dialect.

Southern accents are actually just corruptions - in the historical sense, not the derogatory -  of British accents. If you go to Newfoundland, you'll hear Irish inflections and speech patterns.

Not sure if anyone else finds this interesting (I was fascinated) but here a dialect coach comments on accents used in movies/TV. He does stress that speaking with a foreign accent is very, very hard. This vid includes him critiquing Andrew Lincoln's Kentucky accent.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

This vid includes him critiquing Andrew Lincoln's Kentucky accent.

Looks like I’ll have to cut Lincoln some slack, damn, Michael Caine was supposed to be a Texan? Damn, bunch the back of your tongue, flatten the front and stick the tip up, if I could do that I wouldn’t be single!

Thank heavens for Dick Van Dyke.

• LOL 3

My dad used to point out all the soap opera actors that used to appear on random episodes of Gunsmoke and Bonanza.

For everybody not feeling it this holiday season I'd like to paint a picture of just how special I am in my own little world. (sarcasm, in case you couldn't tell) I went to a christmas party this weekend. My friend got exceedingly drunk and I had to drive him home. This is ok, he was hilarious, I am always, always a go-to for a ride home because I will never let anyone get behind the wheel that shouldn't. So he's the level of drunk where I've seen him try to jump on his own counter top in the kitchen, miss, and nearly crack his skull on the corner or the floor. and he's mentioned he might need to throw up a couple of time so I'm not just leaving him. So we end up talking til about 3 am, he's an idiot and it's mostly quite hilarious. He tells me he loves me and he hates me and "I'll fuck you if you want" because that's just EXACTLY the level of romance a girl wants. I laughed at him and proceeded to sleep on a cold couch with no blanket. Then the next day we are supposed to go to dinner since both of us celebrate December birthdays that get lost because of the holidays. First I'm informed where I'm going because he wants eggplant parmesan then it's not open on Sunday so we have to pick a new spot and them I'm told another friend is joining us and because she has food peculiarities I basically have to pick something SHE will eat. Her perculiarities are thus...no vegetables. she'll only eat corn and green beans in the veg family. No salads, she doesn't eat potatoes because her grandma once made mashed potatoes that were both potatoes and turnips mashed together. So I tease her she's held a grudge against the wrong vegetable for 30 years. No rice. Nothing ethnic. Like she doesn't eat mexican or chinese. We once went a taco place where she was reduced to ordering the "child's" quesadilla which was about 3" and she paid extra to get chicken on it and it came with a juicebox. Last year  for the birthday dinner and I ended up getting to choose from the list of "buy 1 get 1 burgers" for the wednesday specials. I didn't expect anyone to pay for my birthday dinner that I chose based on someone else's eating habits and they didn't. I went home feeling warm and toasty inside.

Next up, I get to go eat christmas dinner with uber nerds. As in a real life Sheldon Cooper type where he literally is a rocket scientist and he does the math for the tech in the guidance systems and his fiancee who is also a math professor. I was going to say no but it's come down the pipeline that she thinks I don't like her. I don't NOT like her I just aint got a damn thing to say to her. I made a joke once about avocado's law (avogadro) and she didn't get it and just corrected me. another friend had invited me (late) so I was already spoken for and I understand why her invitation came late, she's got a baby niece that's been in and out of the hospital and they weren't sure if they wouldn't have to make a mad dash to the hospital so their plans were up in the air but now I'm eating nerd turkey.

In case any of you were jealous of just how lovely my life is on the first christmas I have with no living relatives that give a shit if I'm alive or dead. New Year's will be spectacular as well. but that's another story.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

@Nashville

Titans win and they make the playoffs.  I hope they can beat Houston on the road.   

Our away record with Houston isn’t great (3/7).  Since the Texans have already clinched AFC South and a playoff berth, though, seems like it would be a smart move to rest up at least some of their top talent and not risk them getting hurt in a regular season game which has no effect on their playoff aspirations - so our odds may be a little better than usual.

The Titans have a lot of injuries to deal with.

There SHOULD have been no fucking way on earth that shoulder-to-helmet hit on a defenseless player (Kalif) was not flagged and/or penalized in any way, but I guess the line ref was too busy deepthroating Drew Brees to, yaknow, do his fucking job.  🤬🤬🤬

If you have Starz, a really interesting series to watch is the Dublin Murders.  I have only watched the first five episodes.  I think there are eight total.  I hope the series continues beyond the initial run.

Echo echo.  Very Broadchurch-ish, if that means anything to folks.

• Love 1

I definitely want to watch Dublin murders. It’ll happen eventually. I’m going now to see the Wars among the Stars. With the big dog and robuts, you know the progrum that keeps going for 40 years. Afterwards we go to restrunt with momanem. I’m speaking southern for you. Thankfully we can put away our umba-rella cuz it stopped raining and the crik is not overflowing.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Now I woulda been really happy if I went to the movies with the muppets! As it were we went to dinner after and not only did I pick up the tab for my own birthday dinner she pulled the "get the waiters to sing happy birthday" thing. I know I seem to complain about evvvvverything but seriously this truly pissed me off. Only because I'm in public and it makes it worse if I make a scene but seriously I wanted to walk out. I know they are doing their jobs, I know they don't enjoy it either much less christmas eve. There is a reason I do not tell anyone my birthday and everyone broke all the rules this year.

1 hour ago, nachomama said:

Now I woulda been really happy if I went to the movies with the muppets! As it were we went to dinner after and not only did I pick up the tab for my own birthday dinner she pulled the "get the waiters to sing happy birthday" thing. I know I seem to complain about evvvvverything but seriously this truly pissed me off. Only because I'm in public and it makes it worse if I make a scene but seriously I wanted to walk out. I know they are doing their jobs, I know they don't enjoy it either much less christmas eve. There is a reason I do not tell anyone my birthday and everyone broke all the rules this year.

Well then, I guess saying "Happy Birthday!!!" is inappropriate. 

I'm at work and all the managers and half the people are out. It's sweet!! I aint getting a thing done! 

Saying happy birthday is fine. Just don't tell me "hey lets go to dinner for your birthday" and pull innocent victims into it. They already hate us because they have to be at work, much less a holiday. Don't bring me no gold, frankinsense or muhr. who the fuck even knows what muhr is? Oh and yes gold is all right. bring plenty of that.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The hard part is to remember to shut the water off and to drain as much water out of the tank as possible.  I always keep a spare toilet fill valve in the house so I don't have to run out and buy a new one. 

yes, that's the part I didn't do. I was laying down on my bathroom floor, upside down like I'm fixing a car and had to re-adjust my screw job leveling the who-cha-watchee and I done drained it all over my floor, plus I broke off my wingy things on knobby thing, cuz that was cheap plastic and it was turning too tight so with my hulk strength I just snapped off the grabber parts. These are technical terms, I don't expect you to know them since you're not a professional like myself.

This holiday nonsense if messing with my brain. 3-4 times today I had to remind myself it's not Monday. I told the UPS guy the wrong thing cuz if todays monday and we're half a day on New year's even I told him tomorrow is half day. I called somebody because the note said "call monday after 1" and I'm explaining to my boss that the message says they are gone to lunch from 12-1 but I called at 1:15 and she said "but it's not Monday" I need help. brain is broke

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

It looks like at a minimum I am going to have to replace the toilet tank fill valve.  I am not happy about that.  Everything seems to be made out of what looks to be cheap plastic.   I have replaced it before, but it is a pain in the neck to get to.  The toilet is slow to fill which also leads me to believe that there must be a crack in the toilet tank fill valve  somewhere, which probably means that sound from the toilet tank must be trapped air.

Yes.  I had to replace a fill valve and was surprised to see how cheap the dang thing looked, made of plastic.  

• Love 1

Superclam, Good for you. I'm doing nothing but stalling this afternoon, I don't have the paper I need to print and I'm not starting any other projects til after New years. So I'm just looking busy but I do have to work next Monday. Rude. So I'll be all messed up next week too.

• Love 2

For some reason the left side of the teefs are killing me. I don't know if I cracked a tooth, you'd think I would remember something like that. I pray I don't have an abscess...my dental don't kick in til febroo-airy. I'm gonna start swishing like a mofo to hopefully get it fixed without a dentist.

Yeah, home owning is expensive. I do everything myself if I possibly can to save money. I painted this whole house myself and chortled with glee to think I'd saved at least 8K that way. I learned, via YT, how to change ceiling fixtures and how to tile a backsplash.  I learned how to remove a vanity, install new faucets and take up floor tiles. Not only I save a $$$$$ bundle, but I truly felt a sense of satisfaction at doing all this myself, none of which I'd ever done before. Thanks, YouTube.

• Love 3
On 12/25/2019 at 2:36 PM, icemiser69 said:

As a kid, I think I used to have that song on an old Goofy Greats, K-tel LP.  Please tell me that I am not the only one that remembers K-tel.

You are not alone.

My toilet tank has been having this high-pitched whistle lately.  No I am not drunk, thanks for askin'.   I think the doohickey on the inside that sits right next to the thingamajig must have a crack in it.  No butt jokes please.   I know that has a crack in it.   The crack I think is allowing some air in there, and for some reason it whistles.  When I turn the bathroom water faucet on and off the whistling in the toilet tank stops.  Again, I am not drunk.

Probably just sediment or mineral deposits clogging up part of the water course through the tank valve.  Parts of the valve will vibrate when the pressure in the water line forces water through them, especially if the water flow is restricted by post-manufacture-introduced foreign matter - and if the pressure-generated vibration is sufficient to establish reinforcement of an audible harmonic frequency, you’ll hear it.  When you turn the water faucet on/off, you’re varying the pressure in the water line; not much, but enough to break reinforcement of  the harmonic range pressure vibration.

Today’s valves are so cheaply built that pieces will break if you try disassembling them, so they’re not worth the trouble - just replace the valve with another El Cheapo, and go on with life.  😄

Edited by Nashville
Missed an ‘if’ in there
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Nashville said:

especially if the water flow is restricted by post-manufacture-introduced foreign matter - and the pressure-generated vibration is sufficient to establish reinforcement of an audible harmonic frequency, you’ll hear it.  When you turn the water faucet on/off, you’re varying the pressure in the water line; not much, but enough to break reinforcement of  the harmonic range pressure vibration.

You sound like Eugene! 😮

• LOL 3

I was thinking Eugene was here too. 

I too took a class on tiling...I have crooked tile. There is just something lost between my brain and execution. It’s like playing pool, I know where to hit the cue, how high and how low/hard and the angles, but damned if my elbow can’t follow through. This could be the result of being born left handed and someone forcing me to be right handed or I could just be a complete klutz. 

So none of my fixer upper projects have turned out well but let’s not forget I’m also really really lazy. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, nachomama said:

I too took a class on tiling...I have crooked tile.

I only took the YT class. I have to say of all the jobs I've done in this house the hardest one, physically, was putting up a travertine backsplash in the kitchen. Of course I chose a tile that required a wet saw - which I'd never even seen before in person -  to cut the tiles, and then leaning over the counters to put up the tile and grout it nearly did my back in. There's a bit of lippage on a couple of tiles, but overall it looks damned good. 😁

Ladies, you can do it! Sorry for the show-off pic.

IMG_3265SM.jpg

• Love 4
11 hours ago, nachomama said:

I was thinking Eugene was here too. 

Not trying to be hypercritical here - but if you think understanding some of the ways a toilet tank fill valve might fuck up qualifies as Eugene-like levels of (pseudo-)intellect, then I might respectfully suggest you’re setting that particular bar WAY too low....  😄

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Hush Eugene, go make some bullets. 

Marvelous backsplash! *round of applause*

i did do better than the dudes who laid my kitchen floor. I used the appropriate amount of “butter” on my tiles. In the class at Home Depot they showed the “teeth” on the comb thingy that bigger tiles get more butter. The tiny bathroom tiles would get the 1/8” triangular grooves and my tiles which were 12” for the floor get the 1/4 or heavier square grooves. The kitchen guy did the 1/8 and some of my tiles have cracked. There are no cracks in the foyer where I put mine down. They might be kinda crooked but those fuckers are going to withstand the zombie apocalypse. 

• LOL 2
10 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

There's a bit of lippage on a couple of tiles, but overall it looks damned good. 😁

Good job, YT is indeed a goldmine, I’ve used it for repairing my way over complicated BMW, replacing the motor on a Dyson and tiling, wallpapering, even a ceiling which I wouldn’t have had a clue how to do.

I do like those ‘get the customer out of the shit’ shows, where a pro corrects bad diy or bodged trade work, we used to get one here from your neck of the woods, Holmes on homes I think it was called, the guy did love his spray foam!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, nachomama said:

Hush Eugene, go make some bullets. 

Marvelous backsplash! *round of applause*

i did do better than the dudes who laid my kitchen floor. I used the appropriate amount of “butter” on my tiles. In the class at Home Depot they showed the “teeth” on the comb thingy that bigger tiles get more butter. The tiny bathroom tiles would get the 1/8” triangular grooves and my tiles which were 12” for the floor get the 1/4 or heavier square grooves. The kitchen guy did the 1/8 and some of my tiles have cracked. There are no cracks in the foyer where I put mine down. They might be kinda crooked but those fuckers are going to withstand the zombie apocalypse. 

I've never had the nerve to tackle floor tiles. I did try in my powder room, after I ripped out the old tiles but I got in a little over my head on that one project - those heavy 18" tiles did me in -  had to admit defeat and called my brother to finish it.

Good for you!!!👍 Tiling floors is  much harder than tiling walls since they have to be perfectly level.

3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

used to get one here from your neck of the woods, Holmes on homes I think it was called

I've seen his show a few times. It's no exaggeration. When we were having our home built, we had to go check every day to catch sloppy, lazy work, missing insulation, uneven floors, etc.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The toilet was working fine and then all of a sudden recently it was filling more slowly.  I am sure Nashville is right.  Some sentiment must have gotten into the unit somewhere and slowed things down.   Probably why it makes that high pitched whistle sound as well.

Has your municipality been working on water lines in your area recently?  I got a lot of my experience replacing tank valves because (a) the water mains in my area break with depressing regularity and (b) every time they fixed a break, some mud and gravel and such would get into the line.  Eventually I learned when the water came back in it was smarter - and cheaper - to run the bathtub faucet until the mud was flushed out of the line and the water ran clear.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Congratulations Nashville.  The Titans make it into the playoffs.   But wait, there's more, they get to travel to New England and take on the Patriots.

Yep!  Jan. 4 (Saturday) at 7:15pm CST kickoff.

I hope the Titans can stop the run.  I think the Patriots will be running the ball a lot.

I will only suggest that doing such could be one of the bigger mistakes they could make in the postseason.

I do like their chances against the Patriots.  As long as the Titans don't let the pressure get to them, and they don't turn the ball over, they should win. 

So long as these players stay healthy, I wouldn’t bet against the Titans under any circumstances:

1. Ryan Tannehill
  2. Derrick Henry
  3. Logan Ryan
  4. A. J. Brown
  5. Corey Davis
  6. Kevin Byard (#GoBLUE!!!)
  7. Brett Kern

There are many other significant strength players, of course, but IMHO these guys are the keys to the kingdom.

• Useful 1

I will root for the Titans.

2019 is determined to go out as just as big an asshole as its been all year. Friend of mine just called and he's got to drive to North Carolina to pick up his sister's family, they just totalled their car on their way down from NYC. Yes, everybody is ok and that's a blessing, his sister did go to hospital to get checked and she's got a bruised up leg but she doesn't have brain damage and the babies' car seats did their jobs, they're all fine.

Just has not been a good year and not that this fucks up my plans but my year was already a mess and I just wanted it to wind down with a whimper and not a bang. Everybody and their brother now has some emergency they MUST get done before New Years....tomorrow? yeah you idiot don't call me needing 20 signs that you need tomorrow. Or you stupid daughter's wedding invitations that she printed herself on a letter press but now doesn't have the ability to cut....and since it was her first time printing...they're all out of register...but you're a friend of the boss? ok, great I'll get right on that. Sorting your invitations that YOU  printed wrong and YOU had no ability to cut out even if they did register and your damn wedding is not until March-April, yes, yes that absolutely has to be at the top of my priority list.

Edited by nachomama
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 12/28/2019 at 12:36 PM, icemiser69 said:

Same thing with me.  I was born left handed, and teachers tried to force me to write right handed because my penmanship sucked..  I don't know why being left handed would be such a problem.     I throw left handed and bat right handed.   I was taught to bat right handed and have no power hitting ability as a result.

But yeah, a bunch of people tried to convert me to be right handed and it really didn't go well at all.

An interesting article about lefties.

As a kid I was ambidextrous, could write with either my right or left hand.  The teachers wanted me to be right handed and would smack my left hand with a ruler whenever I'd write with it.  Now, I was never an unruly kid, but I resented having to conform and be right handed.  So at around eight years old I made the decision to only write with my left hand.  Thankfully, the teachers gave up.  So I write with my left hand, but anything requiring strength I do mainly with my right hand.  

Back in the good old days, they used to think if you were left handed the devil was gonna get you and they tried to convert as many as possible. It was done to my dad but he absolutely insisted it was not his doing that anybody smacked me but I had an older-ish kindergarten teacher and I sure got smacked if I was coloring with my left. but I was fairly ambidextrous til about 5-6th grade. I do certain things left handed but I'm mostly right handed these days.

• Love 2