Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

This week gonna be hell, as if my life isn't hell as it is. Every day this week I have a training class for a new job. So I'll leave for work about 7 and I'll get home after 11 pm every night through Friday. I do have to leave regular job about an hour early to get there.

Tuesday I have a hearing with the board of assessors appealing my taxes. For the last 5 years they keep raising the value of my house by about $15,000 to $20,000 which is great if I could sell it for that much...but I can't. I have done nothing to my house except a new roof in the last 5 years. That was because my insurance threatened to drop me because my roof was probably 40 years old. It didn't leak but they felt it looked sad. But I also have a 40 year old kitchen, they don't care about that. I also just had my big plumbing issue so I'm going in saying this is unfair, if I haven't done anything construction wise to improve the value of my home, I know it's going up with the neighborhood but they can't arbitrarily decide it's worth $30k more when no one has actually come to look since 2017. It needs paint, it needs windows. I have a huge crack in my living room ceiling (I don't think it's foundation, I HOPE!, I think it's from roofers stomping around when they did the roof) They have it listed as 3 bedrooms and I only have 2, hopefully I at least earn a "freeze" for 3 years where they can't hike my taxes. This years increase was for schools, I have no kids, aint gonna have no kids and I've paid school taxes for 30 years.

I will be very tired by Friday.

I think I was successful in both the first day of training and the tax appeal.

The Board of Assessors rolled back my value to last years assessment and froze me for three years. Meaning the amount they tax me on can't change for 3 years but that doesn't mean my taxes don't go up because the millage rate fluctuates. But it's fluctuating around a lower number which is good. Now in 3 years do they hit me with a $50,000 value hike? better not. They had my house listed as 3 bedrooms, I only have 2. My house at best is a starter home, no family is moving in with 5 kids. Yes, my neighborhood is going up in value and I want my house to do so also just not outpace me. With the roof, painting, the recent plumbing issues, I can't just maintain it much less improve it. 40 year old kitchen, kitchens are what sell houses. The only person whose gonna step in and buy my house is a flipper. They'll offer me $125,000 for it, put $25,000 in for a kitchen and bath remodel then sell it for $200,000. I can't afford to do what they could do in a short time. I desperately need paint. but you know I'll need an air conditioner soon or hot water heater or more plumbing. My house was built in 1928 its quaint but holy crap falling into a sinkhole.

day 2 of training awaits!

• Love 3

I saw my friend from my old job at the new job training (there's like 5 of us that migrated) So I was excited, cuz I has a fren! She's giving the scoop.

So I did a bad thing this morning. My boss is in the middle of printing a huge mailer which means everything he prints has to print in order and all the sections have to stay together but it also means I have to wait hours and hours and hours to be able to print anything. So I had 2 tiny little things to print so I scooted them in before he got here. I had scooped 1 out before he got here but then some rando came to the door and he left his flyers for his presentation in his garage in florida and could I please, please, please print him 100 flyers? I got working on that and meanwhile my boss started his thing. Then he noticed my thing in the middle of his thing. I do this alllll the time, I swoop in and get my little stuff done quick, quick like a bunny, because waiting on him is forever and as you know my time is limited this week. I have to print a football program today that is dedicated to my boss' dad who just passed away so I mean my time is tight! So now I get a lecture that I've messed up his count (technically, if he just didn't pull my thing out and let his 2 things fall together then we wouldn't have this problem) if he literally lifted his top one out, that's a whole section, give mine to me and boom underneath is his other section. But he pulled mine straight out and let his peanut butter and jelly mix. I know it's still my fault for trying to squeeze in there but he also never announced "I'm here and I'm gonna start my mailing up again" I feel like Scooby Doo, "I woulda gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those darn flyers!"

In other news the city finally came out and plumbed me! I've been waiting a month for them to replace the old galvanized pipes out at the water main and I seen digging!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Iron pills are horrible. 

Yes, they're disgusting. I can't imagine what you're going through but chronic illness and pain really wear a person down, physically and mentally. I don't know much about ulcers. Too bad there isn't some better help for this condition.

• Love 2

@icemiser69 - I can't begin to imagine what you've endured all these years.  It must be so frustrating.

I hesitate to even mention this (because I hate helpful "advice" from strangers who know nothing about me or my issue), but here goes, just in case:   My Mum couldn't tolerate iron - at all.  After reading all the positive reviews on HSN, I got her Andrew Lessman's Iron Plus to try (only I ordered directly from his ProCapsLab website).  She tolerated it very well,  with fewer stomach problems and less constipation.  The dosage is probably too low for you, but I figured it was worth a mention, since almost all those reviews were 5 star, and mentioned it being easy on the stomach.

When I was a kid, my Mum got the notion that I was anemic.  Her solution was to give me eggnog with port to "build up my blood".  I didn't complain; it was delish, and made me feel better!  She also let me start her car, light her cigarettes, and play in the park alone.  Yet I survived (without ever getting sick from raw eggs).

Yeah, the good old days.  :~)

• Useful 1
48 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

IFC is now running "The Karate Kid"  multiple times over the next couple of days.  I have to DVR it, never saw it.  I haven't seen many other popular movies.

Movies I would like to see, but haven't in a long time.

The Last American Virgin

My Bodyguard

I love "Karate Kid." 80s classic. 

Is it "My Bodyguard" from the early 80s, or "The Bodyguard" with Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston? 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

IFC is now running "The Karate Kid"  multiple times over the next couple of days.  I have to DVR it, never saw it.  I haven't seen many other popular movies.

Movies I would like to see, but haven't in a long time.

The Last American Virgin

My Bodyguard

3 hours ago, Superclam said:

I've never actually seen the Costner/Houston movie. I love the Matt Dillon/Chris Makepeace movie. According to the internets, Chris Makepeace's last role was in 2001. 

I THINK I HAVE IT ON DVD! love it, loooooooove eeeeeeeet so much. I think I bought a copy for my sister. I did once look up Chris Makepeace and saw that he hadn't done anything but of course Adam Baldwin as the bodyguard. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE JAYNE JAYNE JAYNE (Firefly)  and Matt Dillon was the "bully" who then had to go hire his own bodyguards to beat up Linderman (baldwin).

I am sorry to hear about the iron issues, my sister was on iron before she passed but I have no advice.

I await the verdict on krackel vs crunch

Another 80's disappeareded actor was Ilan Mitchell-Smither from "Weird Science", he didn't do too much and I looked him up, he's a professor and did a cameo on the Goldbergs as a science teacher I believe

Edited by nachomama
  • Love 1

I have irrational hate for Kevin Costner. I just don't like him.

I also irrationally disliked John Denver, for some reason I was convinced he had very bad B.O. I know he was a hippie but I'm sure he bathed. But from a deep recess in my mind, before the age of 4, I swear every time I saw him on tv I could smell him.

1 hour ago, Superclam said:

I'm the one person in the world who liked "Waterworld." I thought it got a bad rap. 

You're not the only one. I adore that movie! The performance of Dennis Hopper alone made it worth it. It just got a bad rap because hating Costner was "in" at the time for the Hollywood sheeples.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

I don't have strong opinions about John Denver.

His voice was heavenly. It's preferable to listen to him without watching him since he bore an unfortunate resemblance to an adult "Cousin Oliver" from The Brady Bunch.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, nachomama said:

I know he was a hippie but I'm sure he bathed.

John Denver was no hippie.  Ever.  And, just for your edification, hippies bathed.

I like Kevin Costner in movie roles.  Always have, always will.  BFD.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, walnutqueen said:

I like Kevin Costner in movie roles. 

"Dances with Wolves" is one of my all-time favorite movies. Visually, it was so stunning you could take any frame and blow it up to make a gorgeous picture.

"Mr. Brooks"? A weird, creepy, funny, amazing movie. Costner and John Hurt combination was mesmerizing.

Even Dane Cook, who I normally find highly irritating, was perfect in his role. The only detractor was the Demi Moore story, which, IMO, took away from the rest of the movie. Still more than worth watching.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

"Dances with Wolves" is one of my all-time favorite movies. Visually, it was so stunning you could take any frame and blow it up to make a gorgeous picture.

Mine, too. I just have to ff thru a couple of scenes involving beloved animal deaths (quelle surprise!).  I make up for it by pausing on Wind In His Hair's specfuckingtacular glossy mane.  Oh my.

Speaking of the much aligned Mr. Costner, Bull Durham was also somewhat of a delight.

45 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Mine, too. I just have to ff thru a couple of scenes involving beloved animal deaths (quelle surprise!).

I've rewatched this movies several times, but I always stop before the ugly end. 😭 Two Socks.

1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

pausing on Wind In His Hair's specfuckingtacular glossy mane.

His own hair, too. Specfuckingtacular indeed.

You might also enjoy "Last of the Dogmen." I certainly did!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, nachomama said:

I await the verdict on krackel vs crunch

Ok, here goes:

Keeping in mind I apparently don't have a very discerning palete, the two are pretty similar, taste-wise. The Krackel had a creamier texture, while the Crunch was a bit chalkier and seemed to have a higher rice-to-chocolate ratio.  If I was forced to make a choice? I'd pick Krackel. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

His own hair, too. Specfuckingtacular indeed.

I know, right!?!  Totally Unfair Wolves that he came into my life too late to do anything about it.  Because my silky soft baby fine blonde tresses and his specfuckingtacular shiny long mane would have made beautiful music together (we'd be too busy running our fingers through each other's hair to make beautiful babies together, dontcha know!).

• LOL 1
On 11/7/2019 at 7:16 PM, walnutqueen said:

John Denver was no hippie.  Ever. 

That's for sure.

On 11/7/2019 at 7:16 PM, walnutqueen said:

I like Kevin Costner in movie roles.  Always have, always will.  BFD.

The first time I saw him was in "No Way Out" which was a really, really good movie. Gene Hackman was it in too, and I will watch anything with him. I cannot express how much I love him.

• Love 2

Didn’t mean to rankle anyone. I did say my reaction to Kevin and John Denver were irrational. I cannot explain where it comes from. Actually I can explain John Denver. The few times my mom ever had to have us “watched” as in babysitters, it was a neighbor. One day it was Mrs O’dell. And they were known for b.o. I remember being in a wood paneled  room and it being rather stinky and John Denver was on tv. My guess is that’s where it comes from. Mr. o’dells name was “Digger” in my mind I picture him like pigpen from the peanuts cartoon, smudged face and a cloud of dust following him. 

I also have irrational annoyance with Nicolas cage but one of my favorite movies is “raising Arizona” I’m a conundrum wrapped in an enigma. 

Survived training week, graduated to taking phone calls and tried not to panic. I shall seek out some krackel, I like my ratio to be more chocolate than crispies. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Nashville said:

One of my favorite Tom Berenger films.

Mine too! It's funny how on paper the plot of the movie sounds ridiculous, but it is SO not when you watch it. I got utterly absorbed in it. And Tom Berenger at his hunkiest? Bonus!😍

If anyone else wants to see this, just make sure you get the version with no narration. Listening to Wilfrid Brimley will make you want to puncture your ear drums even when he's not talking about die-beetus.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Another Tom Berenger must-see: “Rustler’s Rhapsody”.  One of the most unexpected movies in the history of moviedom.  😄 

Rustler's Rhapsody is a parody of westerns and it is very much in the style of Airplane

Sounds like something I might like. Thanks. Along those lines, I also love "Fatal Instinct" with Armand Assante, in a kind of parody of fim noir which seamlessly incorporates clips from old-time gangster movies. Very funny.

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I do wonder if "Indiana Jones" movies would have been just as successful with Tom Selleck playing the role of Indiana.

I think it would have been. While I hated "Magnum" he truly found his niche in other films like "Quigley Down Under", "The Shadow Riders" and others of that genre. He was made for Westerns.

Edited by AngelaHunter
Because I can't spell after my 2 glasses of wine
  • Love 3

I liked Tom selleck In the western mini series he did with sam Elliott, the sacketts. Although that was mostly that I liked sam Elliott. 

Some people are my ride or die, like Sam Elliott. I’d see pretty much anything with him in it. The entire cast of freaks n geeks. I’d see virtually anything they do. Ok mostly just bill Haverchuck and sam weir. Lindsay weir. 

There are more. Adam Baldwin and the cast of firefly. Cast of chuck. Love them and I support them in all endeavors. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, nachomama said:

Some people are my ride or die, like Sam Elliott. I’d see pretty much anything with him in it.

Yes. In "Tombstone" (another of my fave movies) he's way too old to be Virgil Earp, but it didn't matter, cuz he's Sam Elliot!

• Love 2

So, back in the 80's my office was located on the grounds of Sea Life Park, just down the street from "Robin's mansion" on Oahu, Hawaii, with full view of the moke off those mansion grounds.  I was too busy working and communing with the sea life during my breaks (hint - playing with the dolphins and drinking 5 cent coke out of cool little bottles) to bother with the likes of Mr. Selleck and his TeeVee show.

I am more aural than visual, so the voice of a Sam Elliot or Viggo Mortensen is always going to appeal to me more than some rando with a hot bod (and Viggo has both).  My loins may be atrophied, but my mind has not forgotten ...

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, nachomama said:

Psst I wanted to kill Bradley cooper in the “Star Is born “ movie too, just have sam Elliott play both parts. Hell he can play lady Gaga too. 

Sam Elliot is doing just fine staying in his lane.  He was born to star in "Westerns", and missed the greatest opportunity ever by not doing voice-overs for everything in my life!

I actually liked Cooper and the Gags in that movie ... [/small voice].

• Love 1
21 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Seven of Nine (Jeri Ryan) is probably the only person (man or woman) that could where that skin tight costume and look good.

I think "Deep Space Nine" is a vastly underrated series.

Couldn’t agree more, they did try the ‘skinsuit’ on the Vulcan in ST Enterprise, but after Ryan? Nah.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Sam Elliot is doing just fine staying in his lane.  He was born to star in "Westerns", and missed the greatest opportunity ever by not doing voice-overs for everything in my life!

I actually liked Cooper and the Gags in that movie ... [/small voice].

Oh I wasn't saying they didn't do a good job, I liked it very much but Bradley doing a voice to sound like Sam Elliott I was like "just let Sam do both!" You do not know the eternal hatred I have for "Roadhouse". I was traumatized as a kid, YOU DO NOT KILL SAM ELLIOTT

• LOL 2
33 minutes ago, nachomama said:

Oh I wasn't saying they didn't do a good job, I liked it very much but Bradley doing a voice to sound like Sam Elliott I was like "just let Sam do both!" You do not know the eternal hatred I have for "Roadhouse". I was traumatized as a kid, YOU DO NOT KILL SAM ELLIOTT

Bradley's voice doesn't even register on the Sam Elliot scale.

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

He said he spent half his career on a horse and the other half on a motorcycle and we're glad he did!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, AngelaHunter said:

He said he spent half his career on a horse and the other half on a motorcycle and we're glad he did!

Sadly, without me, underneath, side-saddle or straddling ... !!!  :~)

AH, you need to stop feeding the old lady hosebeast!

• LOL 3

I  gave up on Cher after she broke up with Sam Elliott in "Mask" Nope, I'm out. One does not let Sam Elliott get away.

When he used to do the "Steak! It's what for dinner" or beef or whatever it was...I used to repeat "Sam! that's whats for dinner"

Oh! I tried the Popeye's chicken sandwich, found a short line, the spicy is better than the regular. I can't say exactly what is different other than the pickles are "young", I don't know if that's right or not. Basically they still look like cucumbers, they're pale but they are pickles. I enjoy pickles.

Edited by nachomama
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, nachomama said:

When he used to do the "Steak! It's what for dinner" or beef or whatever it was...I used to repeat "Sam! that's whats for dinner"

Sadly, I had to settle for Subway the other night. I mean, I LOVE the steak sandwich and I'll take what I can get. 😏

• Love 1

I just watched a cooking show where she was making biscuit dough and finally someone took rings off and rolled up sleeves. Actually said “taking rings off and rolling up sleeves because this is serious business” it drives me crazy when I see long sleeves during messy cooking. She put sweet potatoes in biscuits which is a criminal offense but her rings didn’t collect oooky crusties. 

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

OKay- this obsession with Popeyes must end - soon!  Same goes for Chic-Fil-A-fucking A.  Not even decent food,  Both the closest take-out places, both to be avoided.

Church’s beats them both, hands down.

FYI: almost got my voice back from Sunday’s game between the Chiefs and the Titans.  Almost.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Church’s beats them both, hands down.

FYI: almost got my voice back from Sunday’s game between the Chiefs and the Titans.  Almost.

Chances are I'd burst into fucking flames going anywhere near anything related to a Church, much less their shitty chicken.

El Pollo Loco for the win.

Not that I have any spare fucks to give about chicken ...

Less than zero fucks to give for sports.

Call me when the Winter Olympics are on, and I will cheer for Norwegian Mens' Curling pants.

• LOL 1
8 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Chances are I'd burst into fucking flames going anywhere near anything related to a Church, much less their shitty chicken.

You’re skipping the best thing about Church’s, though; their leg/thigh combos.  I’m a dark meat man, and Church’s is one of the only chains with dark meat combos which don’t involve half of the combo being chintzy-ass wings.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Nashville said:

You’re skipping the best thing about Church’s, though; their leg/thigh combos.  I’m a dark meat man, and Church’s is one of the only chains with dark meat combos which don’t involve half of the combo being chintzy-ass wings.

I'd leg wrestle you for the thighs ...

How do I NOT make that sound creepy?

If I mention dark meat, I am just digging myself a deeper grave.

• LOL 3