Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

Never watched "Dukes" but I know those kinds of short-shorts are called "Daisy Dukes" to this day. I believe I called them that myself when we were introduced to Rosita.

As for Charlie's Angels: I've always thought Jaclyn Smith was incredibly beautiful, but as insipid as a cup of cold tea.

Farrah Fawcett, however, after she was no longer every boy's pinup fantasy showed herself to be a good actress. I was particularly impressed with her performance as the monstrous Diane Downs who shot her three children because her boyfriend (Ryan O'Neal)didn't want to be a stepfather, in the TV miniseries "Small Sacrifices."

• Love 3
6 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Wow! I had no idea there was so much involved, I wonder what could have distracted my 13 year old self from those finer plot points, 🤔

8FF44973-AE56-4767-BD5D-692CB135961E.jpeg

Message received; comprehension achieved; experiential commonality acknowledged. 😉👍🏻

Truthfully, though: if you were ever curious about the DoH backstory, you should check out the movie upon which the TV show was based - a little B-movie called Moonrunners.  The movie is actually not bad, and it’s a good deal grittier - and realer - than the largely-homogenized TV series.

4 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'm sitting here crying about Neil Peart. 😥

You and me both.  🥺

3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

As for Charlie's Angels: I've always thought Jaclyn Smith was incredibly beautiful, but as insipid as a cup of cold tea.

Echo echo motherfucking echo.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Farrah Fawcett, however, after she was no longer every boy's pinup fantasy showed herself to be a good actress. I was particularly impressed with her performance as the monstrous Diane Downs who shot her three children because her boyfriend (Ryan O'Neal)didn't want to be a stepfather, in the TV miniseries "Small Sacrifices."

I also liked(?*) “The Burning Bed” where she was abused by her husband and eventually killed him. 

Of the movies of the week or mini serieses that left an impression with me as a youngster were “I know my first name is Steven” about a kidnapped boy who was taken at 7 and escaped at 14 and couldn’t quite fit back into real life. 

“Little Gloria happy at last” about the custody battle for Gloria Vanderbilt. 

There was some mini series I can’t recall the name of with the boss guy from “office space” he was a military guy who killed his pregnant wife and 2 daughters and tried to blame it on hippies. He made it look like a Manson family crime. He was initially supported by his in-laws and then his father in law began to suspect and eventually got another trial where he was convicted.

*you can’t really like something that heinous but I mean Farrah did a good job. 

• Love 2

TITAN UP! 

ok so boars nest was the bar. Do boars have nests?? Anyway, where do I get crows nest from? That gotta be a thing from something. (I know boats ships have crows nesesteses)

i know nothing about the pikes. I’m no help. 

9 hours ago, nachomama said:

I also liked(?*) “The Burning Bed” where she was abused by her husband and eventually killed him. 

Oh, yes. That was difficult to watch and pretty shocking at the time. I think that may have been Farrah's first dramatic role after "Angels" and the first viewing of her in a non-glamorous way?

“I know my first name is Steven” about a kidnapped boy who was taken at 7 and escaped at 14 and couldn’t quite fit back into real life. 

Another really disturbing one. TV used to have some truly amazing movies and mini-series based on real events.  "Helter Skelter", "And the Sea Will Tell" just to name a few, and one of the very best, "To Catch a Killer" with Brian Dennehy giving a terrifying performance as John Wayne Gacy.

There was some mini series I can’t recall the name of with the boss guy from “office space” he was a military guy who killed his pregnant wife and 2 daughters and tried to blame it on hippies.

"Fatal Vision."

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If you mean (Jaclyn Smith) lacked emotion as an actress, I agree.

Well, yes. That's what I mean as I'm referring to her no-talent acting only. Not sure what else you think I mean by "insipid"? She got by with many close-ups on her lovely, perfect face.

A friend and I were thinking of remakes of classic movies and what would be the worst casting we could come up with. I believe one of them was "Gone With the Wind" with Jaclyn as Scarlett and Keanu Reeves as Rhett.

So I guess no when is going to tell me what happened to the ten that were piked in the graphic novels.

I tried to find it and all I came up with was that they were killed and who the victims were. Maybe Show/Comic never figured out how to explain the actual capturing of all these people, so decided to skip it. Someone else may be able to dig up more. My Googling skills are dismal, according to my brother.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

It would seem to me that if they were going to have characters kidnapped, they would have an explanation of how it was done.

The only problem with that, is that they would have to explain how experienced, battle hardened people, could have been so easily overcome by a bunch of knuckle draggers, without anyone being able to raise any form of alarm, or managing to fight their way out of the situation. The easy option was taken..................Once again.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I guess in the U.K., being a vegan is now a protected class, whatever that means over there.

It doesn’t mean much  to me, and if Megan can keep one of the royal parasites over there and ‘outa here’ all power to her, you can keep andrew as a 2 for 1 deal 🤮

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 2
15 hours ago, Nashville said:

Truthfully, though: if you were ever curious about the DoH backstory, you should check out the movie upon which the TV show was based - a little B-movie called Moonrunners.  The movie is actually not bad, and it’s a good deal grittier - and realer - than the largely-homogenized TV series.

Thanks, I do love a B-Movie, it’s just tracking down a source now.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Daryl tells them to run after Carol and the goobers run after Carol.   Not one of them thought about their own safety.

Exactly, how many of us would run into a cave so fast that even if the First fool fell down a hole,the following fools wouldn’t have time to realise the danger or be able to stop themselves falling down the same hole? Even ace hunter, field craft guy Daryl didn’t have the smarts to wonder what had happened to everyone, so predictably fell for the same trap,🙄

• Love 1
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Daryl tells them to run after Carol and the goobers run after Carol.

And Daryl tells them to run because goofy Aaron tells them that HIS Whisperer mutt is to be trusted in spite of everything that's happened. How did all these babes in the woods ever survive this long when they believe without question anything anyone tells them? This boneheaded blind faith ends with them all trapped in a cave.

42 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

What? 😲

x 2! 😂

6 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

It doesn’t mean much  to me, and if Megan can keep one of the royal parasites over there and ‘outa here’ all power to her, you can keep andrew as a 2 for 1 deal 

Glad to know I'm not the only one who refers to them as "parasites." So those two lovebirds want to be 'financially independant'? I guess I could make such a declaration if my mother had left me 9 million or so, although I do realize Meghan has probably burned through quite a bit of that. The formal marginal actress does have expensive taste even if she really needs to learn to remove the price tags from her clothes before prancing around in them. Or are they planning to go out and get jobs? As if anyone would hire them.

As for Andrew? My god, I can't even...🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 1/10/2020 at 3:15 PM, icemiser69 said:

How were all ten captured?  We know from the televised episode, that the writers never showed the ten being captured.

It wasn't directly shown, but Alpha went in and separated them from the fair that was going on. I assume she had help from the rest of her crew. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Alpha must of told them that she saw some elves making cookies in a hollow tree.  So those that were at the fair that were later piked must of wondered off to find said tree.  What is a fair without cookies?. 

Not for nothing, those elves make pretty good cookies. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

So those two lovebirds want to be 'financially independant'?

The best bit is, they want to keep the cottage that British taxpayers have already spent nearly $700,000 renovating, with more to come, they want to keep the close protection squad to look out for their sorry arses, that’s a bill over $2 million a year alone, the cheeky f—-ers. 
That buffoon who pretends he’s Harry’s father bungs the ‘brothers’ 2 million a year each.
They seem to like Canada, so your tax dollars will soon be spent on security and such.

Sometimes when I type my comments, I screw it up some how

Tell me about it 😆

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Or are they planning to go out and get jobs? As if anyone would hire them.

And those paragons of virtue, who have taken time and trouble to lecture others on the perils of climate change, continue to jet here and there as the whim takes them, taking reg dwight’s private jet for a holiday........ no problem as they’ve worked so hard recently, especially if the dogs can come too, which I believe they’ve done across the Atlantic recently as well, leaving the kid in one country doesn’t matter cos I can jet back and forth as I please, along with my hairdresser, maids, media representative and not insubstantial security detail, two faced bastards the lot of em............................. Hommmmmmmm, Hommmmmmmm, I’m thinking puppies, flowers and nice pleasant things, must relax, must let the hatred go....................................................................................................

remember the Romanovs mother f—-ers,...................................Doh! 

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
21 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Yeah, I know it was from the Steve McQueen movie.   Still, what the hell do you do with it once you buy it?

Matter of taste, but I personally don't know why anyone wants the things they pay fortunes for, i.e. Marilyn Monroe's dress, or in this case a car that Steve McQueen drove. I love the movies of both and always enjoy seeing them, but I really don't know what one would do with these items. Bragging rights? Status symbols? "Look how much money I have"? Even autographs - what's the big deal? Oh, well, each to his own.

28 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

She used to be in a series on the USA Network called Suits.

I never saw it, but yeah - that show was graced with the appearance of the esteemed Duchess of Sussex. Keep it classy, Meghan, for all those who enjoyed seeing your underpants;

https://imgur.com/gallery/MGR0PJT

• Love 2
5 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

They seem to like Canada, so your tax dollars will soon be spent on security and such.

Yeah. I guess the pensioners will have that extra 00.47 they got added to their monthy pensions retracted. Gotta keep Meghan and the Ginger Cuck safe! I'll gladly contribute.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I am surprised a 68 Mustang would pull in that kind of coin.  Yeah, I know it was from the Steve McQueen movie.   Still, what the hell do you do with it once you buy it?  Do you drive it?  Do you keep it in a garage somewhere?

You keep it in a secure garage and polish it daily with a cloth diaper.  Trust me - once your mate leaves you for dropping that much coin on a car you’ll be too afraid to drive, you’ll have plenty of time to do so.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Actually I think it was the Ravens that tightened up. 🤢   There isn't a choke emoji, so I have to use "barfy" face.

That’s the hook - when we Titan up, they tighten up.  😁

Note: in the Ravens/Titans game, the Vegas spread was for the Titans to lose by 9.  One of my neighbors has a friend living in Vegas who reportedly plonked down $2K on the Titans to win; supposedly, he cleared $200K on the win, so odds on a Titans straight-up win must’ve been going off at 100-to-1.

9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I am still rooting for the Titans to win it all.

That’s what I’m talking about.  😆

• Love 1

Just popping in to see how everyone is doing. I don't remember when I was last here. I wouldn't be surprised if nobody remembers me. 🙂 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, icemiser69 said:

They are going to need to control the clock against KC.  Once KC gets into a rhythm they are tough to stop.

Yeah - but we’ve already done it before once this season.  I was at that game, and it was wondermous.  😉

• Love 1
On 1/10/2020 at 9:34 AM, AngelaHunter said:

I don't have anything bizarre on my phone. My computer, on the other hand... Well, I mean it's not bizarre to me. Or maybe it is, if I look at it objectively.  I can just picture anyone looking through it after my demise. "What the fuckity fuckin' FUCK....????" they will mutter in distress and astonishment.

I swear that as I lay dying, I will find the strength to utter my final words: "Destroy...my...hardrives." And then, just like in the movies and having said my piece, I will gracefully expire.

I don't think I have anything embarrassing on my phone, either, except for the fact that I somehow have 208 browser windows open on said phone. I need to go through them all, email myself any recipes that are included, take any notes on whatever else is there, and get it back down to just one window. 

I haven't written in a diary in years, but I used to write "morning pages" and make lists of goals. I once destroyed all of my journals, by tearing them up, and shredding things. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
55 minutes ago, Anela said:

Just popping in to see how everyone is doing. I don't remember when I was last here. I wouldn't be surprised if nobody remembers me. 🙂 

I remember you. Yes, indeedy.😉

32 minutes ago, Anela said:

I don't think I have anything embarrassing on my phone, either,

I wish I could say that. I recently upgraded to Win10 (I know!) with a new desktop and gave my brother my laptop to install it there too. Here I was, madly deleting stuff before I gave it to him and remained in a state of agitation until I got it back. The only gripe he had was for how much time he spent deleting about 900 "Pup" thingys and trojans I had on it. How was I to know?

• Love 3
13 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Still, what the hell do you do with it once you buy it?  Do you drive it?  Do you keep it in a garage somewhere?

It wasn’t even restored, it was rough and covered in dents, apparently it was the family’s every day drive for a decade or more.

I have to admit I would have paid that for it, big boy’s toys and all that, it’s definitely on the frozen side of cool to have that in your garage,if you’ve got a hundred million doing nothing and I’m sure it’ll hold that value and probably  increase. 

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 2

My classic car sad story:

In 1969, my Opa bought his first new car - a '69 Pontiac Firebird, overhead cam, straight 6.  It finally wound up with my Mum, who let her son drive and trash it, and she sold it.  Years later, the new owner sold it back to me.  Everything was still original, so I put in a new t*****, rebuilt the engine, and was ready to refurbish the interior when some rando in a pickup missed the corner, plowed through my driveway, and T-boned it into a tree - a total loss.  And there went my dream of almost 45 years.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

,if you’ve got a hundred million doing nothing and I’m sure it’ll hold that value and probably  increase. 

Maybe, but after the passing of the generation that remembers Steve McQueen, I highly doubt it. There's a generation now that can't recognize  a picture of Winston Churchill.  Who? Is he an "influencer", a YT star, or in a comic book franchise movie? No? Forget it then.

4 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

And there went my dream of almost 45 years.

Sympathies.☹️

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I've only see Joker. I want to see Jojo Rabbit and Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

My top 5 movies in 2019 (roughly in release order):

1. The Dead Don’t Die
  2. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
  3. Joker
  4. The Good Liar
  5. Knives Out
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Maybe, but after the passing of the generation that remembers Steve McQueen, I highly doubt it.

I disagree, some things remain iconic forever and a day, that car is a thing that can be used and enjoyed, whether it’s the car, movie or actor that attracts the interest.

Take this piece of crap below, if you had a kid that brought that home from art class one day and was as pleased as punch, you’d say “well done it looks great, we’ll put it on the fridge door” secretly planning exactly when you could put it in the bin, yet some knob paid $106 million for it ten years ago, there’s always someone! 🙄

E8DCE6AA-927C-44E3-B3A7-48244242DE2A.jpeg

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, nachomama said:

I haven't seen too many of the Oscar nominated films, I may go see 1917 tomorrow. If I don't get ditched.

I’ve just downloaded ‘The Irishman’ on Netflix can you believe, i just hope I can stay awake long enough 😴

• LOL 2

I may go see 1917 tomorrow

That looks good. I watched "Dunkirk" not too long ago. I was really looking forward to it and was severely disappointed.

If I don't get ditched.

And I thought I was a pessimist. 😄

• Love 1

I am definitely a pessimist but I'm also re-evaluating my standing. I think I have too many people that think I'm expendable.

I wanna see JoJo Rabbit too. I've never been a hyooooge Martin Scor-seese fan, long and boring so I don't much care about the Irishman.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Why would you remotely give a shit what other people think?

That's the only aspect I enjoy about getting older. I no longer give a rat's fluffy ass what anyone thinks of me, as I did when I was young. My go-to thought is, "Fuck'em!" It's so freeing. 😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Yeah but I'm an introvert and I hate people I thought I cultivated the ones I wanted. I have no relatives left and don't even know where you go to start new friends. Technically work, I suppose, 1 job has 5 people total and they're all family. Other job is a bunch of kids. Church? could be but they'd prolly have an issue with my bad words. I don't "sport" so joining tennis, golf, softball league is out. Knitting group? book club?

I do think it's something I gotta work out with myself, since my sister died, she was my last relative. And even if she wasn't a daily part of my life, absolute zero is kinda like a black hole. I thought I was really good at grief because holy crap have I had a lot of practice at it, people just be dying like crazy over here. I'm not sure how to deal with zero.

4 minutes ago, nachomama said:

Yeah but I'm an introvert and I hate people I thought I cultivated the ones I wanted. I have no relatives left and don't even know where you go to start new friends.

Got a hobby or anything in particular you can recall really liking, either currently or in the past?  If so, you might want to take a look at Meetup.com and see if there are any groups going in your area of people with similar likes/hobbies.  Meetup has groups for close to everything; at different times over the past few years I’ve been in photography groups, hiking groups, scuba diving groups, movie groups, etc.

• Love 3

Meetup is where I got these ones. And there aren't too many diverse groups in my area. But yes I'm exploring if there's another I want to join but seriously I really, really, really hate mingling. I am so not that person that strolls up and introduces myself. I started going to a trivia night and I would go to the end of the table and just sit there. Which I do know is counter productive but you have no idea how petrified I am in groups of people. Takes like 6 months for me to thaw out.

3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Take this piece of crap below, if you had a kid that brought that home from art class one day and was as pleased as punch, you’d say “well done it looks great, we’ll put it on the fridge door” secretly planning exactly when you could put it in the bin, yet some knob paid $106 million for it ten years ago, there’s always someone! 🙄

There is always someone, but to me the Emperor is always naked.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

That looks good. I watched "Dunkirk" not too long ago. I was really looking forward to it and was severely disappointed

😱

I thought that was an amazing film, I did do what I don’t normally do and saw it on a massive screen with the proper cinema sound effects, it’s surprising what a difference that can make. I saw it on DVD recently and couldn’t really hear the clock ticking in the background, that had such an effect on ramping up the tension in the cinema.

I really want to like 1917, i just hope it doesn’t look like someone’s dug a trench in a field and is pretending it’s a battlefield, like so many ‘cheap’ WW1 movies do, he’s a good director so I may take the cinema route, knowing the action will drown out the ‘rustling  swines’ sat all around, bah humbug 😖

12 hours ago, nachomama said:

do think it's something I gotta work out with myself

I hate crowds and big loud groups of people, since moving up country 15 years ago I haven’t made any friends, my Cousins  and Aunt live nearby but I only see them once a week and holidays etc. I can’t mingle, or just walk up to people and start chatting away and it takes me an age to relax in peoples company so I know exactly where you are.

Some people are perfectly happy on their own, I’ve had a few girlfriends but they peter out 6 months to a year, I think I’ve accepted the fact that I am one of life’s loners, I probably should make an effort to find ‘some people’ to meet up with regularly, whether as friends or a club or such like. If your not unhappy with where you are it’s not worth stressing over, but small changes, one at a time will soon build up until you are where you want to be.

• Love 2