Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Generic question.

Suppose, someone you know went to a party.   You ask that person, "How was the party?"   Their response was, "."

I think that answer is strange.   With the word "seemed" in there, I get the impression that something happened at the party that was unpleasant.  Otherwise I would have expected that person to say that "Everyone at the party had a good time."

Thoughts?  Am I reading too much into that person's answer?

Echo the earlier responses, and in addition - I also tend to similarly qualify such statements, simply because I can only speak from my own personal frame of reference.  From me, the same statement would most accurately translate as “I can’t speak for anybody else, of course, but *I* had a good time.”

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I think the response might also vary depending on if you ask a man or woman. I know if my husband went to a wedding without me and I asked him later how it went, he would definitely say, "It was okay." If I then asked him to describe the bride's dress, he'd say, "I dunno. White?" 😄

These answers would be different, more detailed, if a woman were replying.

• LOL 1
15 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Suppose, someone you know went to a party.   You ask that person, "How was the party?"   Their response was, "Everyone seemed to have a good time."

Echoing what’s already been said, in the UK it’s a perfectly common response, concentrating on the ‘seemed’ as a negative is probably beating oneself up unnecessarily. However, there is quite often somebody at a party who really doesn’t want to be there, usually me, and if I can’t hide in one of the kids rooms playing their XBox, I may well be that person who caused the ‘seemed to’ comment, but generally speaking it’s perfectly normal 

Is it just my device where the text’s displaying strangely?

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Is it just my device where the text’s displaying strangely?

In the last week or so the site frequently takes it upon itself to unilaterally change my default font size from Large (my preferred) to Medium - is that the sort of thing you’re talking about?

• Love 2

Perhaps the party goer who said "every seemed to have a good time" didn't themselves have such a great time but everyone else thought it was a hoot? I don't have good times at parties but that's just me cuz I hate people you know.

I did very well on my drive, solid 24 hours driving and only had trouble from Birmingham to atlanta to Macon. Atlanta was an absolute mess, no direction was moving. Should have been home by 5 ish and got home at 10. And I drove in the snow and ice in albuquerque! I kept telling my friend "I don't have mud at home" I know why people out there have big trucks and SUV's they really need them. Oh dear lord did I return a dirty rental car! Mud all over the outside and tried not to track too much inside. I wore sandals hahhahah had to buy socks to keep my feet warm.

Is it odd to say I had a nice thanksgiving visit to prison? Haven't seen my niece in the flesh in about 20 years. You have to sit on opposite sides and you get 1 hug. No touching and I could buy her food but couldn't hand it to her, had to give to bailiff to then inspect and give to her. She really does wear an orange jumpsuit. She seems very peppy for prison. I was taking my sister's ashes back home and obviously couldn't have them with me, they go through the car. so my niece asks "where's my mom?" and I'm all "not with me" and of course we're idiots and think that's so hilarious. She warned me before "take my mom out of the trunk before you come". We are some dark, twisted individuals.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Yes, my typing box looked as Superclam said - like a greeting card message, with the first 3 or words centered by themselves. Fine now.

3 hours ago, Superclam said:

Here in the U.S. of A. we say "knock wood" for whatever reason, and you have to knock on the table or your head. No idea why. 

Well, I just had to look that up. I love finding out the origins of expressions we use when we mostly have no idea where they came from. I just found out where "freelance" originated. This one seems to be much more recent than most but is a little uncertain:

In his book “The Lore of the Playground,” British folklorist Steve Roud traces the practice to a 19th century children’s game called “Tiggy Touchwood,” a type of tag in which players were immune from being caught whenever they touched a piece of wood such as a door or a tree. “Given that the game was concerned with ‘protection,’ and was well known to adults as well as children, it is almost certainly the origin of our modern superstitious practice of saying, ‘Touch wood,’ he argues.

• Love 3

I read somewhere that “ring around the Rosie” was about scarlet fever or some disease that killed thousands and we made a children’s game out of it. 

I feel like college was worth it now I’m watching the very first episode of Monty python and there’s a sketch where he’s a reporter and all the “racers” are painters/artists and I knew all the names! I’ve literally never used my art history degree for anything besides jeopardy questions and now Monty python. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, nachomama said:

I read somewhere that “ring around the Rosie” was about scarlet fever or some disease that killed thousands and we made a children’s game out of it. 

Some say, others disagree that It’s associated with Bubonic Plague (The Black Death), which decimated the UK and Europe in the 14th Century, and again in the 17th, it supposedly originally crossed over from Asia, tens of millions of people died.

Edited by OoohMaggie
20 hours ago, Superclam said:

Here in the U.S. of A. we say "knock wood" for whatever reason, and you have to knock on the table or your head. No idea why. 

It’s a Celtic thing Irish immigrants brought over to the New World - an acknowledgement of the spirits which live in the wood.

• Useful 1

13/13 but quite a few were just educated guesses, e.g. - "apparition" fit the time period.

Haven't been able to watch MeTV for a few weeks. The huge antenna on Mt. Mansfield caught on fire and considering the conditions up there this time of year I expected no repair until spring. But those intrepid techs set off on the mountain climbing expedition and got it done PDQ.

I got it back just in time to catch 24-year-old Robert Redford on Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

• Love 2

13/13 although the ‘gravy’ comment I didn’t remember at all,  Blackadder’s Christmas Carol obviously being the best rendition 😆

Apparently i’m Barney, not my first choice, but if it comes with Barney’s benefits.........

9CE6512E-4E85-42E4-86F2-A4EF34B4635A.jpeg

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
4 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Apparently i’m Barney, not my first choice, but if it comes with Barney’s benefits.........

9CE6512E-4E85-42E4-86F2-A4EF34B4635A.jpeg

I’ll say - she could reduce me to Rubble any time she wants.  😉

Edited by Nashville
Reduction edit
  • LOL 2

I woman I worked with told me how she met her husband. They were at some party and later he told her, "I knew as soon as I saw you I would marry you because you looked just like Betty Rubble."

I went to their wedding and they've been happily married ever since. One of the best "How we met" stories I ever heard. 😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

So is it being rather too honest to admit, that I wouldn’t mind whether left or right hand Betty showed up? After coming clean about the attraction of Family Guy’s Lois, I wonder if I should be seeking counselling, and whatever you do, don’t mention Jessica Rabbit 🐰

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

and whatever you do, don’t mention Jessica Rabbit 🐰

Bob Hoskins made that movie, just by playing it so straight. Your mention of Jessica made me think of this scene I found hilarious. Bonus Betty Boop:

"He's got a "thing" for rabbits, eh?"

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

@Nashville

Your Titans look pretty good. 

Oh hell YEAH they do.  😁

Hope they sweep both Houston games. 

You and me both.

New Orleans will be much more difficult, but at least it is a home game. 

Yup!  Good time to be a season ticket holder.  😉

Been listening to some sports talk radio this morning - do you agree with the notion the Patriots dynasty is finally dead?  Me, I’m almost afraid to hope.  😄

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Nashville said:

Been listening to some sports talk radio this morning - do you agree with the notion the Patriots dynasty is finally dead?  Me, I’m almost afraid to hope.  😄

It's not dead until they drop a house on it, see the witch's legs shrivel up and get a coroner's report afterwards.
Personally, I don't dare to hope until they lose a first round playoff game and miss the playoffs the next season (and even then I'm keeping my fingers crossed until Bellicheck retires.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Bob Hoskins made that movie, just by playing it so straight. Your mention of Jessica made me think of this scene I found hilarious. Bonus Betty Boop:

Bob, one of our best and most missed, the fact that there was never a sequel to The Long Good Friday, is surely one of the biggest cinematic crimes of all time, unforgivable 🔫

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, rab01 said:

It's not dead until they drop a house on it, see the witch's legs shrivel up and get a coroner's report afterwards.
Personally, I don't dare to hope until they lose a first round playoff game and miss the playoffs the next season (and even then I'm keeping my fingers crossed until Bellicheck retires.)

Is it just me, or is Belichick developing an increasing resemblance to actress Anne Ramsay (of “The Goonies” and “Throw Momma From the Train” fame)?

IMG_0765.jpg.37f140b5d668ff0c0ce9a0220916c217.jpgIMG_0767.jpg.43d02d0611c10a66b0af86118c6446bd.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Those two actresses were actually from two of the movies.  i just thought you would have posted their pictures for that reason alone.

Janie K would be pretty high up on my list as well....

31F085F8-FBD3-4C40-AB7D-ADB942B540FF.jpeg.fc6491ab13950fa9c65cdfab4f0404d0.jpeg

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

Bob, one of our best and most missed, the fact that there was never a sequel to The Long Good Friday, is surely one of the biggest cinematic crimes of all time, unforgivable 🔫

In comedies or dramas he was never less than great. I caught a movie some time ago while flipping channels. I'd never heard of it, but it's called "Felicia's Journey." I won't say more in case anyone wishes to see it, but Bob Hoskins made it absolutely riveting. HIghly recommend.

1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

Surprised in what way?

I have a feeling that Rosie is not exactly your cuppa! 😄

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 12/10/2019 at 3:17 PM, Nashville said:

Are you kidding?  Did you see Rosie in Exit to Eden?  😆

Oh! Shit, I thought someone had hacked  my photo album..........don’t do that to me 😱

Edited by OoohMaggie
“Gained access to”is so English, hacked is so much better
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Dana Delany was awesome in that movie.

They all were.  One of my favorite quotes in the movie was a Rico Suavé type trying to romance Rosie, who was having none of it:

Rico Suavé: How can I fulfill your fantasy? 

Rosie: Go paint my house!

😂

• LOL 3
On 12/9/2019 at 8:36 PM, AngelaHunter said:

I'd never heard of it, but it's called "Felicia's Journey." I won't say more in case anyone wishes to see it, but Bob Hoskins made it absolutely riveting. HIghly recommend.

It passed me by as well, was it a straight to DVD? It looks good and I’ll be watching as soon as I can find a source.

3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

It passed me by as well, was it a straight to DVD? It looks good and I’ll be watching as soon as I can find a source.

I think it was in theaters but don't really know. It's  a British film that came in 1999, had no explosions, CGI or comic book heros, so didn't have a huge audience I assume.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

What is that ‘police badge’ looking thing strategically placed?

A police badge  😂.   In the story line context, Rosie’s character was a cop going undercover* in a rated-X (well, heavy R at least) version of Fantasy Island.

* Take that as you will.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

"Gee your hair smells terrific."

there was a shampoo called "gee your hair smells terrific" and I got it once, and you know what? It did NOT make my hair smell terrific. it was rather bland. Also they're making a horror movie version of Fantasy Island. I don't know how much I like that. they showed Mr. Rourke but not Tattoo.

2 hours ago, nachomama said:

Also they're making a horror movie version of Fantasy Island. I don't know how much I like that.

😮Desperation makes you do weird things. Have they run out of comic books? How far back can they dig and does no one have an original thought? What's next  - "My Mother, the Car: The Motion Picture"?

"Fantasy Island" packed with skimpily dressed millennial babes and waxed, interchangeable guys with abs. 😴 BUT - Michael Rooker is in it! 

Not feeling the new Mr. Roarke:

fantasy-island-michael---richardo.jpg

• Love 1

I like Michael Pena in general just not so sure about Mr. Roarke. and there is no mention of Tattoo at all. it doesn't say what Michael Rooker is playing. It has several people I like, Ryan Hansen and JImmy O Yang. But it has Kim Coates. Lord he works my nerves. (Tig from SoA) I hated every little bit of him in that show. And the show lost me when they killed Opie (aka Beta from TWD)

• Love 1