Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

I think SOA had jumped the shark by the time Kim dickens was on there. I don’t say if it qualifies her as a great actress but I adored Deadwood and that’s where I knew her first. I did love some Joanie. (Hated the Deadwood movie) I have seen some info on briar patch and I’ll check out the first episode. I also got the “Nora from queens” which is awkwafina. I liked that. 

• Useful 1

It's strange the places one finds themselves. After yesterday's talk with prison niece I find myself getting in touch with brother-in-law from a million years ago. My sister was married to this dude when I was like 7, I believe I've only ever had 1 adult conversation with him. This is the one who pushed her off the stairs and broke her wrist. I have only 1 real memory of him, they came over and played dominoes* or cards and I referred to him as "Butchy" (his name is Butch) and I remember my sister yelling at me about that. I don't recall if he was actually there or not. I was an extremely shy kid and most people didn't know I could talk until months or years went by. He is not actually my niece's bio dad but he was good to her and maintained a relationship with her and helped her out financially when he didn't have to. He was an alcoholic and apparently he wants to make amends which means nothing to me. But he also needs help getting paperwork together to visit my niece or even to send her money or get phone calls he's got to be on the visiting list. He's probably mid 60's now and I don't know why he needs help but if he's going to send my niece money then I help. I remember seeing him once when my niece was 18-20 ish so I was 24 ish. He was excited about a hat he "invented" he was going to patent it and everything. I guess it would look a bit like a newsboy cap with a glove on it. It was specifically for wearing to baseball games so that if a fly ball or home run or whatever ball got hit into the stands you could grab your hat and catch the ball without stinging your hands. Yes...that was the invention. I can't imagine how much use a person could get out of this hat or that he would become a millionaire but that was his thing and I remember him being super excited about it.

*Was "Dominoes" a thing? My parents didn't really have "activities" they used to go bowling but that ended and they used to go to neighbors' houses and play dominoes. I don't fully grasp the concept of the game other than you put your 4 dots next to their 4 dots and make a meandering pattern. If you've got a blank one it can go next to anyone.

Edited by nachomama
2 hours ago, nachomama said:

*Was "Dominoes" a thing? My parents didn't really have "activities" they used to go bowling but that ended and they used to go to neighbors' houses and play dominoes. I don't fully grasp the concept of the game other than you put your 4 dots next to their 4 dots and make a meandering pattern. If you've got a blank one it can go next to anyone.

It's very popular in the Dominican and Puerto Rican communities here. 

I had a short convo with Butch, he's going to call me back after work. SO BIZARRE! What he remembers about me was apparently I called his nephew a dipstick upon our last meeting. I guess the nephew was running around acting stupid and Butch liked me when I put him in his place. I remember nothing of that. I wonder if he's got me confused with evil sister? anywho, just another weird trippy walk down memory lane.

Oh, I have a wonderful friend who made me laugh so hard this weekend. She went to the licquor store to grab a bottle of wine and the lights went out. So she goes up to the counter, no one there. THEY FREAKING CLOSED AND LOCKED HER IN!!!!!!!!!!!! She had to call the alarm company and the police to let her out. I said I'm so sorry but that had me snorting with laughter. She said she laughed too but then she was mad cuz she was very hungry while waiting. I said she should have called me and I'd come down and we could touch fingers through the glass. Is she invisible??? How the hell you don't do a sweep before closing?

• LOL 3

Dominoes as a game has been around for centuries, but back around the late ‘80s - early ‘90s there was a major resurgence in its popularity for a few years.  Another popular game around the same time was Rummikub.  I remember the wife and I getting together with other couples and playing both for hours on end; when one got boring we’d switch to the other, and vice versa.

• Love 1

We had rummikub too. That I played, the dominoes all I ever did was swish em around. Between games it was like shuffling cards and my dad let me do it and I liked the clackety clackety sounds. Lord, I was a moron.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, nachomama said:

I watched the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It wasn't bad.

I thought Cockneys v Zombies was a niche offering, yet I doff my hat in reverence to Pride And Prejudice And Zombies, if it’s on Prime or Netflix I promise to give it a go 😱

19 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

We also played Trivial Pursuit when it was a huge hit.  I still remember my friend's father answered some really arcane bible question to win the game.

Oh god yes.  I was in college when Trivial Pursuit came out (and it came out BIG) - so of course it didn’t take us much time at all to come up with a Trivial Pursuit - The Drinking Game version of the rules. 😉 

• Love 2

Trivial pursuit takes so dang long! Maybe we're just stupid? eleventy million years to land on the right pie color and then getting the questions right.

If I'm not at work I don't know what to do with myself. 20 years ago that wouldn't have mattered, you could find someone to do something with spur of the moment. My second job doesn't need me this evening and I don't know what to do. Laundry doesn't seem fun (even though I will do it) Catching up on tv is just me being lazy.

As part of my new initiative where I'm not gonna wait til I'm dead to do things I'm looking at Chris Stapleton concerts. Targeting friend in regions, Charlotte would be awesome, he's with Elle King and I've got a friend up there, unfortunately she'll live in Florida by then. I looked at Orlando and that's not near her either. Atlanta is tasty and she's willing that's got Hank Jr and Sheryl Crow.

I've also hit up anybody I know who likes to travel because I think Australia is going to be cheap and that's my big dream but that's also a biiiiig stretch. I got a friend in Hawaii and if I can swing cheap tickets I got free place to stay. As yet, the yacht trip around the coast of spain, italy and greece is just a wee tad out of my budget.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Care to inebriate elaborate?

1. Wedge question moves (mandatory): if a player gets the question for a category wedge piece wrong, they have to take a shot - get it right, though, and every other player has to take a shot.
  2. All other moves (optional): the moving player can be “challenged” by any other player in the game before the question card for the move is pulled.  Moving player gets the question wrong, they take a shot; get it right, though, and the challenging player takes the shot.
  3. Sooper Dooper Optional corollary to #2: allowing multiple challenges, with # of challenges = # of shots in play.  Decided before the game starts.  Caution, though; if the moving player gets the question right, every challenger has to drink the same # of shots the moving player would’ve if they’d gotten the question wrong - so this’un can get expensive REAL quick.

So who says functional alcoholics can’t be creative? 

Headed to Bridgestone Arena tonight with daughter and her fiancé to see Tool.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, nachomama said:

I think Australia is going to be cheap and that's my big dream but that's also a biiiiig stretch.

It is beautiful, but cheap? Not so much, if you do get there try and squeeze in New Zealand 🇳🇿

13 hours ago, Nashville said:

Headed to Bridgestone Arena tonight with daughter and her fiancé to see Tool.

There are a group of comedians following Tool.

Oh I definitely want to do New Zealand and I don't mean its going to be cheap, just cheap-er. Like perhaps flights may go down as a result of wanting to boost tourism to help funnel the money to help the nature and stuff. I know it's still a big stretch which is why I also know Hawaii for me is the most attainable, or you know tickets to a show here and there. It's just on the radar.

• Love 2

Tired as hell.

voice is gone.

slight headache.

worth it.

Oh I definitely want to do New Zealand and I don't mean its going to be cheap, just cheap-er. 

New Zealand’s been on my bucket list since around ‘89; some good friends who were native kiwis moved back home to Christchurch, and I’d love to meet back up with them.

• Love 1

I have a friend who said he'd got with me to New Zealand but I gotta bungee jump. Gravity aint my friend. I'm lucky each day if I don't fall under normal circumstances. You want me to throw myself off a bridge and hope the rubber band don't snap??! I love amusement park rides, like the dropping I can do...it's the whole bouncy, bouncy and "nature" element I'm not too sure of.  I like metal not rope constraining my bits. I want to see them drop a truck first. We went to Vegas and shot ourselves off the Stratosphere hotel. We got in the elevator afterwards and my friend Marcy jumped because the elevator jerked. I laughed at her because we just shot ourselves into outer space but the elevator scared her.

• LOL 2

I have a friend who said he'd got with me to New Zealand but I gotta bungee jump. Gravity aint my friend. I'm lucky each day if I don't fall under normal circumstances

Clumsy could be my middle name, regarding bungee, it really is all in the mind, I did the worlds highest bridge jump in South Africa and didn’t feel any anxiety stood on the edge of a 650 feet  drop, yet a year previously in Australia, funnily enough, I was 25 feet above the ground on a rock climbing ‘experience’ and was so terrified that I couldn’t move, I had to be lowered by the belay guy, I’ve never had a fear of heights, but still to this day have a fear of falling, it’s amazing what effect the feel of a harness around your body can have on your confidence, even doing a skydive was less stressful than being stuck on the side of a rock at 25Ft, go figure 🤔

I think it's still plant-based, but it's not vegan. Same way putting bacon on a plant-based burger would render the thing non-vegan. I can't imagine many vegans go to BK (or McDonald's) anyway. I've heard that sales are slowing after the original curiosity. I've had some decent veggie burgers in my life, but the one Impossible burger I had was pretty awful. 

Edited by Superclam

I had one and it tasted like meat to me but the moniker “plant based” drives me nuts. I know there’s some kind of distinction between “vegetarian” and “plant based” products. But when I see “plant butter” it just seems odd. “nut butter” is funny but plant butter doesn’t sound good. 

my prison niece has only been in trouble once while in prison...she talked with her butt cheeks like Jim Carrey in “ace Ventura”. Oi vey! My relatives. 
also happy mediocre-bowl. I guess I’m not invited to anyone’s viewing party to eat wings so I’m gonna go try a Mexican place and maybe drink margaritas. I made some snickerdoodle blondies. So there’s that. 

Edited by nachomama
  • LOL 2
58 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't know why they would offer it in the first place if it wasn't going to be made for non-meat eaters.  What is the point? 

If I were a betting man: to get a part of the whole "plant based" market. See also: non-GMO, organic, or gluten-free. Buzz words that have meaning, yet are used to get people to buy products that they think are healthier. 

• Love 1

I just saw a commercial for the “plant based” sausage breakfast sammich thing. and I’m baffled. Again and still the plant based sausage is a why for me but the final line was “topped with a farm fresh egg” which immediately excludes vegetarians. I know there are “ovo-lacto” which eat eggs and dairy. So I have no clue who the plant based are aimed at if they’re putting bacon and eggs on shit. 

They do say Australia has more things that can kill you than anywhere else. Although New Zealand has no natural predators! How is that? I am definitely someone who will die from something stupid like not even a kangaroo kicking me but like a cute puffin or some shit.

oh, hello! Did someone say emotional/stress eating? Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. This is probably my only dead relative that I haven't been stress eating.

I just learned that the social security people don't send out the 1099 I need to file her final taxes, I have to go to the local office and give them death certificate/will/etc. I've got everything to file mine and nothing for hers. Pass me the cookies

13 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Much like people who go on diets.   Unless those individuals who go on diets are able to permanently change their psychological reasons for overeating, chances are their diets will fail and they will go back to their old eating habits

Very true, which is why I avoid fad diets like keto or intermittent fasting. Yes, you will lose weight, but most can't stick with it. I've been on a specific eating plan for the last 4 years and I've lost 50 pounds and kept them off. All from eating real food, just different food than what I was eating before.  

• Love 2

this chick just "uh'ed" me in an email. OH NO SHE DINT! I can envision myself pulling out my earrings and stomping off to open up a can of whoop-ass. She works for a company that does bricks and pavers so they have a sales sheet with all these measurements and she's sending me "corrections" they no longer offer certain sizes or finishes. So everything was crossed out and scribbled over. I did not create their original sales sheet, that's lost to the ages, I just have a pdf which means in order for me to edit this, I open it and it's no longer in "fonts" I can't just backspace and re-type. I either re-type her entire paragraph or change a 3 to a 4 etc. I'm working with pictures of words not really words anymore. So in her email she says "see changes from yesterday" and in this section there were no "changes" ie scribbling. Someone had actually typed that part, thus I didn't see it as a "change" it was just regular looking stuff. So she emailed back "uh, all the sizes were changed" and I wanted to go beat her with a shoe. Pardon my lack of understanding, you twit. You scanned the page, split it into 1/4 sections because it doesn't fit on a regular sheet of paper and drew all over it. So I have to piece together your 4 pieces and decipher your scribbles, I'm so sorry I was confused by your asshattery. Do not "uh" me because I don't have to make your changes. We can say we cannot edit and therefore you must submit all new artwork.

59 minutes ago, nachomama said:

this chick just "uh'ed" me in an email. OH NO SHE DINT! I can envision myself pulling out my earrings and stomping off to open up a can of whoop-ass. She works for a company that does bricks and pavers so they have a sales sheet with all these measurements and she's sending me "corrections" they no longer offer certain sizes or finishes. So everything was crossed out and scribbled over. I did not create their original sales sheet, that's lost to the ages, I just have a pdf which means in order for me to edit this, I open it and it's no longer in "fonts" I can't just backspace and re-type. I either re-type her entire paragraph or change a 3 to a 4 etc. I'm working with pictures of words not really words anymore. So in her email she says "see changes from yesterday" and in this section there were no "changes" ie scribbling. Someone had actually typed that part, thus I didn't see it as a "change" it was just regular looking stuff. So she emailed back "uh, all the sizes were changed" and I wanted to go beat her with a shoe. Pardon my lack of understanding, you twit. You scanned the page, split it into 1/4 sections because it doesn't fit on a regular sheet of paper and drew all over it. So I have to piece together your 4 pieces and decipher your scribbles, I'm so sorry I was confused by your asshattery. Do not "uh" me because I don't have to make your changes. We can say we cannot edit and therefore you must submit all new artwork.

When this place was Television Without Pity, they had a definite rule about not starting posts with "uh." I wish they would do that here. To "uh" someone in a professional setting is remarkably, well, unprofessional. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, nachomama said:

I just learned that the social security people don't send out the 1099 I need to file her final taxes, I have to go to the local office and give them death certificate/will/etc. I've got everything to file mine and nothing for hers. Pass me the cookies

Are you the executor/administrator of her estate probate?

8 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Huh? 🤔

Not “Huh”, “Uh”.  TOTALLY different. 😉 

9 hours ago, Superclam said:

When this place was Television Without Pity, they had a definite rule about not starting posts with "uh." I wish they would do that here. To "uh" someone in a professional setting is remarkably, well, unprofessional. 

Bite your tongue!  THIS place was never TWoP.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

New poster...looking for an active TWD forum, and found this one.  I've recently written a scene in story format using Walking Dead characters. NO, it is not Fan Fiction (no sex at all).  Looking for real fans who can give real critiques.  If this is the wrong place, please accept my apologies in advance.  

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Are you the executor/administrator of her estate probate?

Yep. Probate is essentially done. I’m inches away from getting to sign over the property to my evil sister and never have to speak to her again. She’s going to screw it up but I’m out. Did my duty and she can lose my number. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, nachomama said:

Yep. Probate is essentially done. I’m inches away from getting to sign over the property to my evil sister and never have to speak to her again. She’s going to screw it up but I’m out. Did my duty and she can lose my number. 

I know and feel your pain.

• Love 1

I remember you talking about taking care of your wife's parents or your parents stuff after they passed. It's never fun. My sister just makes it extra drama. I'm sure most of the "locals" thought I was exceptionally harsh and mean ( I am but that's beside the point) to my sister. As "christians" they feel it's their duty to help her and I've been talking to Steve, the guy who took on most of the day to day responsibilities, he's been hauling her to court, to dr appointments. Trying to help her evict these idiots that she invited in. He admitted to me she drove him over the edge. He's done. She made an agreement with them for Feb 3 and said "don't tell Steve" that pissed him off. If she's keeping secrets from him then he doesn't want a part of it. He apologized to the meth heads and brought back their door (they were locking the dog in the bedroom)

I know her too well, I know what she's capable of. They were all in the victim mentality that everybody was taking advantage of her. I said "hold my beer"  but they're only starting to listen.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I hope I am not prying too much, but what path did you take to lose weight?   A lot of people cut down on carbs.

Not prying at all, I always hope I can help someone. I do Weight Watchers because they have meetings in my office and I get a discount through work. It assigns a certain # of points per day, points are based on calories, fiber, protein and saturated fat. Lean proteins and vegetables have zero points, a slice of cheesecake can have a full day's points. I track pretty much everything I eat. 

Personally, I eat a lot of chicken, fish and broccoli. For carbs, I actually take a 1 cup measure and allot myself a cup of rice, pasta, mashed potatoes, etc. I don't eat stuff I don't like, I'm not huge on salads and I can't stand kale, so I don't eat them. Luckily, I don't have a sweet tooth. 

Days like Thanksgiving, etc. I eat whatever I want. I have at least one cheat meal a week, and I'll take off from the program around the holidays and when I go on vacation just to keep myself sane. I've been in the same 5-pound weight range for the last 3 years. 

Since I live in NYC, I walk a lot (I have a fitbit) and I lift light weights 3 times a week. 

Let me know here or through PM if I can be of any help. 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

It has to be a lifestyle change, otherwise going back to old eating habits will result in the weight being put right back on.  That is why I think the psychological component is the most important thing when dieting, and probably in ever other aspect in life as well.

Very true, and everyone has to find the "system" that works for them. There are programs that definitely work, but if you're going to be miserable, it won't last. What I'm doing now works for me because it doesn't feel like I'm sacrificing anything. I could probably lose another 15 pounds and be more shredded, but that would involve a lot more dedication than I can reasonably sustain. 

And yeah, since I've joined, I've seen people stay with it, I've seen people join for a few months and quit, and I've seen people last 2 weeks. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

At one point in time I thought some vegetables did have points, such as root vegetables (potatoes, turnips, sweet potatoes, beats, carrots, etc.)?

Even the tomatoes though technically fruit, I think they must have points as well.

There are now three tiers on WW, one where potatoes, whole wheat pasta and brown rice have zero points. I don't trust myself with those, so I'm not on that tier. Beets & carrots are 0 points, as are tomatoes. All fruits are 0 points, but I was eating a lot of grapes every night and gaining weight, so I stopped that, and started eating blueberries, raspberries and pineapple instead. 

Apparently my 23 year old supervisor at the weekend job has passed out twice and missed work last Saturday. The doctor says his lack of sleeping and the fact that he hasn’t eaten a vegetable in about 16 years is having the effect of no oxygen to his brain. So he got up too fast and no oxygen he crashed down hard. So I bought him snack packs of veggie dippers. And apples with peanut butter or Caramel. Told him lay off the vaping and energy drinks. He was surviving on beef jerky and meal replacement and energy drinks. He’s a full time student and full time job. He was raised by a single mom and by the time he was 8-10 she’d be at work and he would just eat chicken nuggets, pizza and fries or chips. He isn’t fat. He just hasn’t eaten anything nutritive in years. He told me he didn’t know the stuff I brought him existed. He told me the only vegetable he can say he likes is green beans. I told him where to get the best green beans (cooking isn’t an option for him at this point) I do think vaping is one of the factors. No one knows what vaping is going to do in the future. We know smoking can cause cancer but vaping can very well be fucking up his oxygen. Told him I would buy him flinstones vitamins too if he can’t eat better than a 3 year old. 

So, this weekend we drove down to Atlanta Friday for an Eagles concert - which was pretty good.

And it turned out there was a horror convention going on in our hotel (the Sheraton Atlanta) over the weekend - daysofthedead.com - so I got a day pass for that Saturday, which was pretty cool as well.  Lots of meet&greets, vendors, presentations of films running the gamut from ten-minute shorts to full features, etc.  Ran into Richard Dreyfuss a couple of times, and even shared an elevator ride with Linnea Quigley.  😎

Only downer of the weekend was about 1:30am Sunday morning, when I was taking a smoke break from the midnight film showing.  A couple dozen others and I are standing outside smoking when in the open parking structure across the street, a drug deal apparently decided to go south in a very big way - and suddenly WWIII is breaking out, with gangbangers John Wayne-ing it with AKs and semiautomatic pistols about 40-50 feet away from me and the others.  Ended up with one banger dead, two wounded, two others unharmed but arrested, and a bunch of guns and drugs confiscated.  Welcome to Atlanta on a Saturday night, y’all.

Edited by Nashville
EmojiCon

I have a friend who said they had people who came down for that Eagles concert! Although I doubt they stayed for the drug deal.

There was a shooting at the place where I told the kid to go get green beans. We went from zero murders in 2020 to 5 this past weekend. fun times.