Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

Absolute worst book-to-movie adaptation I've ever seen: "9 1/2 Weeks". I read the book long before the movie came out. There is zero connection between the two. The book was harrowing and disturbing in the extreme, with the author (who was relating her actual experiences of being drawn bit by bit into this lifestyle) ending up with a nervous breakdown. The movie. which I was anxious to see, has two gorgeous people, Mickey Rouke (pre-destruction of his face through botched plastic surgery) and Kim Basinger. Hollywood turned this into some sort of overly-stylized, sexy MTV romp. Utter trash.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 1

Has anyone mentioned Stephen King yet?  I've read a bunch of his books and seen a ton of movies based of his books but not necessarily the same ones.  Of those, I'd say "The Dead Zone" is a better movie than book (because of Walken's performance) and that The Shining is a good Stephen King book but it's an amazing movie, even if the two may not be as closely related as King would have liked.  Also, I love The Shawshank Redemption as a movie but it's just a cute short story.  (As King books where the book is better, there are probably too many to count.) 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, rab01 said:

Also, I love The Shawshank Redemption as a movie

I sometimes feel like an odd left shoe, completely on my own in not getting the Shawshank mania, the fact that it frequently appears near the top, if not the top of the best movies ever made polls, whilst the Deer Hunter rarely gets a mention baffles the hell out of me.

• Love 3

It helps that I first watched and enjoyed Shawshank before the overpraise that it's received in the last ten years.  

I'd never have thought to compare Deer Hunter and Shawshank but now that I've fallen down that rabbit hole -- Deer Hunter is by far the better movie.  It's a great movie with great performances by a cast full of that generation's very best actors.  But, it's not a fun movie to rewatch.  To me, Shawshank doesn't belong in the list of top 20 best movies but it is very rewatchable.  While both movies have dark and light moments, Shawshank makes audiences feel good and Deer Hunter makes them sad.  Both movies are doing their jobs in that manipulation but which one makes for a more pleasant weekend afternoon?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rab01 said:

Shawshank makes audiences feel good and Deer Hunter makes them sad.  Both movies are doing their jobs in that manipulation but which one makes for a more pleasant weekend afternoon?

Firstly, each to their own, we like what we like and that’s all that should matter,

In relation to TDH, I’d say not just sad but proud as well, it isn’t a pleasant afternoon movie by any means but what it does it does so damn well. The best scene for me, when the guys come back from the hunting trip, they’re all in the bar and the bar owner starts playing Chopin on the piano, the guys are silent, just watching him playing, you wonder what is going through their minds, what those who are going off to war are thinking and feeling at that moment, it’s so powerful it brings a tear to my eye every time I watch it, it’s just class that is rarely equalled.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1

IMHO comparing Deer Hunter to Shawshank is getting into apples-and-oranges territory.  Deer Hunter is a page out of an entire generation’s diary detailing its loss of innocence, while Shawshank is a story of personal salvation - in effect, a reclamation of innocence.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

That ending was a classic.

The ending of the original PotA was stellar; different than the book, but (IMHO) a better revelation of the core O. Henry twist.  The book itself wasn’t bad per se, but it DID get pretty damn dusty in the middle.

• Love 2

I love that movie, and the whole series. Even the ones that aren't so great. I only read the book once, but it was so far from the movie as to be an entirely different entity. I had a similar experience with Starship Troopers. And "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" vs. Blade Runner. And "The Running Man" as long as I'm on a roll. 

• Love 3

Swear to god - if my Boston Terrorist doesn’t quit trying to fumigate the whole place, I’m fixing to have to hook up my regulator to one of my scuba tanks just to breathe.  If I try lighting a cigarette right now, the house might blow up.

• Love 3
On 1/22/2019 at 1:28 PM, OoohMaggie said:

I sometimes feel like an odd left shoe, completely on my own in not getting the Shawshank mania

You're not alone. I liked it, but no more or less than I've liked many movies.

On 1/22/2019 at 11:24 AM, rab01 said:

The Shining is a good Stephen King book but it's an amazing movie, even if the two may not be as closely related as King would have liked. 

"Lawnmower Man"? A headscratcher to me. The only similarity between (very short)story and movie was the title.

One movie that should never have been made was the adaptation of "The Cider House Rules". The movie could barely touch upon the events of the book - no movie could unless it were at least 5 hours long. I suggest reading the book and skipping the movie.

5 hours ago, Nashville said:

Swear to god - if my Boston Terrorist doesn’t quit trying to fumigate the whole place, I’m fixing to have to hook up my regulator to one of my scuba tanks just to breathe.

I had a dog who, when she felt an explosion coming on, would get up and come sit next to me and let loose, rolling her eyes and I swear she was grinning.

• Love 2
On 1/22/2019 at 4:10 PM, Nashville said:

IMHO comparing Deer Hunter to Shawshank is getting into apples-and-oranges territory.  Deer Hunter is a page out of an entire generation’s diary detailing its loss of innocence, while Shawshank is a story of personal salvation - in effect, a reclamation of innocence.

I agree.  Both are amazing films. 

• Love 1
On 1/22/2019 at 3:27 PM, OoohMaggie said:

Firstly, each to their own, we like what we like and that’s all that should matter,

In relation to TDH, I’d say not just sad but proud as well, it isn’t a pleasant afternoon movie by any means but what it does it does so damn well. The best scene for me, when the guys come back from the hunting trip, they’re all in the bar and the bar owner starts playing Chopin on the piano, the guys are silent, just watching him playing, you wonder what is going through their minds, what those who are going off to war are thinking and feeling at that moment, it’s so powerful it brings a tear to my eye every time I watch it, it’s just class that is rarely equalled.

The first time I saw The Deer Hunter, the final scene where they get together in that same bar and start singing 'God Bless America' moved me to tears.  I think I cried for an hour.  A lot of people saw it as an example of blind patriotism but I saw it a bit differently.  These people had been abused by their country, chewed up and spit out, they'd just come back from burying one of their own.  But they still loved America.  I don't know if I agree with that kind of love (and I know those people probably wouldn't welcome my Black ass in their establishment) but that kind of unconditional love moved me.  It broke my heart that the love those people felt for their country wasn't returned, that it was betrayed.

Shawshank moved me to tears as well. When Morgan Freeman's character said 'I hope', I sobbed out loud like an infant. I'm a sucker for the power of hope AND a twisty ending.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 3

I barely remember the Deer Hunter. My mother had a crush on Christopher Walken. I loved Shawshank. On my birthday this year, we drove to Mansfield, to tour the prison. I'd wanted to do that for years, and we couldn't think of anything else (NE Ohio here, not much to do anywhere, that I know of). It ended up feeling disrespectful to the people who died there, though, and I wondered why I'd chosen to visit on my *birthday*. It was both a nice and incredibly weird day. We ended up going to see A Quiet Place, later on, which was a pretty good movie, but annoying in places, too. 

• Love 2
On 1/26/2019 at 1:49 PM, mightysparrow said:

The first time I saw The Deer Hunter, the final scene where they get together in that same bar and start singing 'God Bless America' moved me to tears.  I think I cried for an hour.  A lot of people saw it as an example of blind patriotism but I saw it a bit differently.  These people had been abused by their country, chewed up and spit out, they'd just come back from burying one of their own.  But they still loved America.  I don't know if I agree with that kind of love (and I know those people probably wouldn't welcome my Black ass in their establishment) but that kind of unconditional love moved me.  It broke my heart that the love those people felt for their country wasn't returned, that it was betrayed.

Shawshank moved me to tears as well. When Morgan Freeman's character said 'I hope', I sobbed out loud like an infant. I'm a sucker for the power of hope AND a twisty ending.

When one of my uncles was buried in 2016, I teared up when they removed the flag from his coffin, folded it, and handed it to my eldest Uncle. I grew up in England, we had poppies to represent our dead from the wars. I've never been one for flags, and I've since been annoyed as hell over the "you aren't a patriot if you don't fly a flag" crap (aside from the political stuff). In our local facebook group, I saw someone post about wanting to call the police because someone had a tattered flag. I wondered why people couldn't mind their own business.

But my point is that I was really moved by the whole ritual, and the handing of that flag to my Uncle. The deceased one had survived being shot down in a helicopter, twice in Vietnam. I have another Uncle who survived, only to end up being at Kent State when they shot the students. He was freaked out. I'm going to have to look up The Deer Hunter, but when I'm out of this mood I'm currently in. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Anela said:

On my birthday this year, we drove to Mansfield, to tour the prison. I'd wanted to do that for years, and we couldn't think of anything else (NE Ohio here, not much to do anywhere, that I know of). It ended up feeling disrespectful to the people who died there, though, and I wondered why I'd chosen to visit on my *birthday*

There’s something alluring about older prisons, I’ve been to several famous ones around the world and have enjoyed visiting every one. I think the thought, that by a simple quirk of fate it could so easily have been me locked up, certainly plays a part in that allure and enjoyment.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Anela said:

I grew up in England, we had poppies to represent our dead from the wars. I've never been one for flags, and I've since been annoyed as hell over the "you aren't a patriot if you don't fly a flag" crap (aside from the political stuff)

Speaking as a Limey in Liverpool, I do admire the way citizens of the  US show pride in their county with the showing of flags and playing of the Star-Spangled at events. I agree that it should be a personal choice with no negativity shown towards those who choose not to. In the UK, if you put up a flagpole on your lawn you would be considered somewhat strange, which is a shame. 

The military and emergency services are also held in much higher regard over there, the citizenry do seem to show pride and gratitude in those who are helping them. As with the flags and anthem, the ‘reserved Brits’ label we have is certainly part of it, but allowing for that, the difference in our attitudes and actions is still great and I much prefer the US way of doing things.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1
On 1/30/2019 at 7:05 AM, OoohMaggie said:

There’s something alluring about older prisons, I’ve been to several famous ones around the world

If you're ever in Tennessee, there are two: Brushy Mountain which is being repurposed (and is a huge facility set sort of up in the mountains near Knoxville.) An official tourist attraction, with some tours.

The other is in Fayetteville TN, and it's the old solid stone jail, complete with heavy bars on the cells.  It's Cahoots Restaurant and the dining rooms are the old cells. 

And a question: is anybody going to watch the Sunday night Walking Dead opposite the Super Bowl and going to share what happens?  It will be on the Premier version of the site.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, enoughcats said:

If you're ever in Tennessee, there are two: Brushy Mountain which is being repurposed (and is a huge facility set sort of up in the mountains near Knoxville.) An official tourist attraction, with some tours.

The other is in Fayetteville TN, and it's the old solid stone jail, complete with heavy bars on the cells.  It's Cahoots Restaurant and the dining rooms are the old cells. 

And a question: is anybody going to watch the Sunday night Walking Dead opposite the Super Bowl and going to share what happens?  It will be on the Premier version of the site.

Also - the State is loath to let anybody on the premises any more for liability concerns (unless of course you’re a movie producer with lots of incentive inducement$), but here’s a pretty nice drone tour of the old Tennessee State Prison.  You may recognize it from movies such as The Last Castle, The Green Mile, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMV0vpCFdfw

• Love 1
23 hours ago, enoughcats said:

It's the same one that's on next week? (Feb. 10th?) 

Anyway, I'm not paying extra for that and the spoilers are already up. 

ETA: Now I see what you mean, but I'm still not paying for it! 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/walking-dead-midseason-premiere-drop-183430724.html

Edited by Superclam
18 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Benny Hodge was in Brushy Mountain.  I found that whole saga fascinating, and I may be a bad person but I liked Sherry Sheets. 

22 hours ago, enoughcats said:

If you're ever in Tennessee, there are two: Brushy Mountain which is being repurposed (and is a huge facility set sort of up in the mountains near Knoxville.)

Thanks, unfortunately my trips to the US are all too infrequent, I did once make it to Memphis a long time ago, I wasn’t into prisons at the time so did the usual Graceland, Beale st,  Sun Studios. If i make it back I’ll give them a go, it looks pretty cool on the drone-cam.

Edited by OoohMaggie
1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

Thanks, unfortunately my trips to the US are all too infrequent, I did once make it to Memphis a long time ago, I wasn’t into prisons at the time so did the usual Graceland, Beale st,  Sun Studios. If i make it back I’ll give them a go, it looks pretty cool on the drone-cam.

When you were in Memphis, did you do the Beale Street Crawl?   I did - ONCE - when I was in college; made it about 3/4 of the way.  ;)

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Nashville said:

When you were in Memphis, did you do the Beale Street Crawl?   I did - ONCE - when I was in college; made it about 3/4 of the way.  ;)

I’m afraid not, I’m just guessing that it involves life threatening quantities of alcohol, as I don’t drink I wouldn’t have made it out of the first bar, not that we were ever told about the challenge.

• Love 2
On 02/02/2019 at 1:10 PM, Mu Shu said:

Benny Hodge was in Brushy Mountain.

Another charming individual,at least over there you know what to do with them, rather than an injection, I think a ride on ‘Old Sparky’, the Green Mile’s Eddy Delacroix style is more fitting.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1
On 1/30/2019 at 6:05 AM, OoohMaggie said:

There’s something alluring about older prisons, I’ve been to several famous ones around the world and have enjoyed visiting every one. I think the thought, that by a simple quirk of fate it could so easily have been me locked up, certainly plays a part in that allure and enjoyment.

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

That would freak me out.

I love old prisons.  Want to get to know yourself?  Go into a solitary confinement cell and let someone else close the door.  Believe me, it works.

• Love 2

Prior to the Stupor Bowl, my brother-in-law and I were clearing a drainage ditch clogged 2-1/2 to 3 feet deep with leaves.  We had a burn permit for the leaves, and I was lighting the pile with one of your ordinary garden-variety Bic lighters when...

...any idea how big of a fireball you can get when a faulty Bic decides to explode in your hand?  

Pretty fucking damn big, as it turns out.

So now I get to spend 2+ weeks healing up a nice second degree burn covering about half the outside of my left forearm - and ‘nice’ really ain’t quite the word for it.  

So how was YOUR weekend?  :P

• Love 2

Do I wanna know what adult nursing relationships are?

Holy Carp, Nashville! You coulda gone up like the Scarecrow in Oz! You're basically made out of kindling. It's a good thing your girlfriend is your right hand. ;)

I'm ready to watch the Whiskey Tango thing.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, nachomama said:

“Got any cookies to go with that?”   ;>

34 minutes ago, nachomama said:

Holy Carp, Nashville! You coulda gone up like the Scarecrow in Oz! You're basically made out of kindling. It's a good thing your girlfriend is your right hand. ;)

Actually, I’m a lefty. ;)    Fun fact, though; Bactine contains both antiseptic AND lidocaine, and can be a very good friend.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Nashville said:

Fun fact, though; Bactine contains both antiseptic AND lidocaine, and can be a very good friend.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. I once burned my hand so badly with a cup of scalding water that my skin came off with my rings. A nurse told me to use "Polysporin for Burns." Amazing stuff. It has an anesthetic in it and stopped the excruciating pain pretty damn quickly.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Nashville said:

I can post up a REALLY gnarly picture or two if anybody's that bored.  :>

Considering we're people who sit and watch eyeballs squeezed out of rotting faces and gobs of guts falling on the ground, go for it.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Nashville said:

Well, I'm 48 hours past now; the last of the initial damage should be done.  

I can post up a REALLY gnarly picture or two if anybody's that bored.  :>

As I also made a joke about ‘BobbyQ’,  something about charred skin as I remember, I hope fate hasn’t got a ‘HaHa’ lined up for me! Not that I believe in any of that 🤞🍀

After removing the tip of my finger with a mandolin slicer, the photo posted on the AMC forum went down well, so yeah let’s have a look.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 2

Ask, and ye shall receive.  Spoilered for the tender-stomached - although assuming any such would be watching TWD does seem to be a bit of a stretch....  ;)

Spoiler

About 24 hours after...

IMG_3330.thumb.JPG.ce5e9b9bc6fb84e40a1e96df0a07e787.JPG

...and about 3 days after...

IMG_3332.thumb.JPG.48d70b21e553917ff1d2612621f2be3f.JPG

Cool, huh?  HEY, NICOTERO - HERE’S A SKIN MODEL FOR YA...!!!  ;>

Edited by Nashville
‘ye’, not ‘he’ - dumbass autocorrect
  • Love 3
On 05/02/2019 at 4:01 AM, Mu Shu said:

So has anyone here heard of Adult Nursing Relationships? 

Yeah, it’s big in Japan I hear, are you broadening your horizons? 😉

On a slightly different tack, we had a documentary here a while back, it featured mothers who are ‘nursing’ their 5,6,7 year olds 🤮

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1

Well, your photos don't bother me at all, Nashville, except for a cringe at how painful that must be. It's pretty big!

On 2/5/2019 at 10:11 AM, nachomama said:

I've seen "Adult babies" so no, I don't want to know. That gives me the heebie-jeebies much worse than Nashville's charred arm.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 2

One summer I burned the back of my calf on the muffler of a motorcycle, it was all melty like the faces at the end of Indiana Jones, took allllll summer to heal. I was running around in shorts with a damn Chachi thing on my leg. I was never all that bright.

Just looked at the pics. That'll be a cool scar! but yikes.

Edited by nachomama
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Well, your photos don't bother me at all, Nashville, except for a cringe at how painful that must be. It's pretty big!

Superficial 2nd degree; maximum pain, but that’s a good thing - means the nerve endings are still alive and kicking, and able to feel.  So long as I keep it clean, dry, and uninfected, it should heal with little or no permanent scarring.  I’ll break down and go to a doctor if it starts hurting extra and/or getting stinky.  :)

• Love 2

Two things I did learn out of the experience, though:

1. Already knew this from the scuba, but this reinforced it a little extra - in moments of extremely high stress, I get superanalytical as fuck.  I’d already assessed the situation, made a conscious decision, and was stop/drop/rolling before my sister and her husband had even realized what had happened.  :)
  2. Fuck me being over 50 - there ain’t a DAMN THANG WRONG with my reflexes.  :>
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

After removing the tip of my finger with a mandolin slicer

Yikes. I saw someone do that on "MasterChef". Now that grosses me out.:(

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

I’ll break down and go to a doctor if it starts hurting extra and/or getting stinky.  :)

Right. Infection is often the more serious concern with burns.

• Love 3