Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

On 12/23/2018 at 6:11 AM, OoohMaggie said:

I’ve never been able to hear the difference to be honest, I always thought you had to have a $50,000 sound system but it’s probably my cheap ears. I used to like the album covers and reading the bumpf, but as for the records all I remember is chasing a line of dust around the disc with one of those black felt things, it would move it around but wouldn’t pick it up.

I remember that brush and I remember a little bottle of fluid that came with ours that you dribbled on the brush so that it picked up the dust -- In other words, it wasn't you it was your equipment.

• Love 2
On 12/23/2018 at 5:11 AM, OoohMaggie said:

as for the records all I remember is chasing a line of dust around the disc with one of those black felt things, it would move it around but wouldn’t pick it up.

I had one of those felt cleaning brushes too, and there was a trick to it; the felt on the pad had a “grain” (all the fibers laying in one direction), and that made a difference.  Sweep with the brush going forward against the felt’s grain, and it would pick up the dust; sweep with the grain, and you’re just moving dust around in a circle.  :)

• Love 3

🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁

I’m beginning to question my belief in Santa, another year gone and still no Lauren shaped parcel under the tree!

just finished the traditional Christmas Day breakfast, last night’s takeaway reheated, mm mm mmmmm, that’ll be worked off with a quick jog, to the pub, then the rest of the day with relatives Zzzzzzzzzzzzz 

have a great day all!

🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 4
59 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I have been searching high and low and still cannot find out the name of this movie that I think was made in the 70s.  Could be one of those old movies of the week type movies.  It would help if I could remember a cast member, but I can't.  I know I have posted this on the messageboards somewhere here before, but I don't think anyone had heard of the movie..

1970s movie plot:

Friends go camping in the woods.

They hear on the radio about a hijacker who jumped out of a plane escaping with cash. 

They stumble on a dude in the woods.  One of the friends shoots the dude, thinking he is the hijacker.

After doing a bit of searching they find the money in his belongings.

They proceed to fight over the money.

One by one the friends turn on each other, killing each other over the money.

Sounds like you’re talking about Deliver Us From Evil - a 1973 made-for-TV movie starring George Kennedy and Jan-Michael Vincent.

Edited by Nashville
Trimwork
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Do you wear an outfit when you go to the games?  Play dress up?  Carry the letter "D"  along with part of a neighbor's fence?

Nothing beyond a team jersey; I’ll let you decide whether or not that constitutes “dress up”.  :>

I know all fanbases seem to have their cast of characters.  I did see the Washington game.

That stadium didn't appear to be all that big. 

Nissan Stadium is pretty much midsize by current NFL standards; about 69K+ seats for football games.   When it was originally built it was one of the smaller NFL stadiums, but the trend over the years for replacement stadiums has been downsized seating capacities. Makes it easier to legitimately claim sell-outs, donchaknow.  ;)

Do the Tennessee Volunteers play in the same stadium?

Nah.  Nissan Stadium and the Titans are in Nashville; the Vols play at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville.  The Volunteers are the school team for UT Knoxville - and yes, the University of Tennessee was UT about 90 years before the University of Texas was even thought of.  ;)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Thank you.  That is it.  How did you find it so quickly?  I was using a search engine and typed in the movie plot.  It gave me all sorts of movies, but not that one.

I half-remembered it, and my Google-Fu did the rest.  ;)

Stubhub  (where the Chargers play) I think has a capacity of less than half of that.

Yeah, Stubhub’s known to be the smallest; at 27K, it’s about 2/3rds the NFL’s current acceptable minimum (40K).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_stadiums

• Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

There must have been some sort of rerun after its first airing in 1973, because it would have been impossible for me to watch it that year.

Hush, child; I originally saw it when it was shown as a made-for-TV ABC Movie of the Week.  ;)

I cringe every time I have to go to urban dictionary just to find out what certain words  (blended or otherwise) mean.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=google-fu

Sorry; I’m a tech, and sometimes it’s unavoidable.  :>

They are just waiting for the Rams new stadium to be built so they can move in with them.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, they didn't have a huge fan base to begin with and they pissed off a bunch of the fans they used to have when they moved.  I seriously doubt that they will have much luck selling PSL's.

Personally, I hope they don’t have ANY luck.  With the sole exception of the current Rams romp in LA, the city has multiple times proven itself incapable of long-term support for any NFL team.  The LA city administration can pitch deals good enough to get teams there, but the fan base doesn’t show up enough to keep a team- and IMHO they certainly haven’t shown the capacity to support TWO teams, nor demonstrated to the NFL they deserve the chance to do so.  Not over more deserving fan bases in cities which don’t have a single team, at least. Spread the love around, NFL!

(Spoken by someone who watched the NFL skip over Nashville multiple times for YEARS, claiming there wasn’t - and would likely never be - enough of an NFL fan base in Nashville to support a franchise.  #TitanUP)

• Love 2

I got a rock for Christmas (channeling charlie brown on halloween) A truck spit a rock at me and now I gotta go get my windshield fixed. Other than that I also got an insta-pot so I'm gonna learn some zen cooking. I have never been to any professional team sport type thing. Never lived in a city that had a team. Trying to think of the largest venue I was every in for concerty type things. Probably Jacksonville.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I guess they flexed the Titans game to Sunday night.  That has to be horrible for those who had plans to go to the game at an earlier time.  It is great for those people who don't go to games.

Depends on (a) whether you’re local or coming in from a ways out of town, (b) your transport options, and/or (c) home restrictions (kids, pets, etc.).

Have you ever had a game that you were going to see all of a sudden flexed?  It would suck.

This will be the second time this year; I’ve been a Titans season ticket holder for several years.  :>

To be fair  (it is the internet so what does fair have to do with it)  the Titans used to be the Houston Oilers.  So Houston did lose their team, much like Baltimore lost theirs to Indianapolis, Cleveland lost theirs to Baltimore, St. Louis lost their team to Phoenix/Arizona,  The LA Rams lost theirs to St. Louis,  St. Louis lost theirs back to LA,  the Raiders just can't seem to stay put.  Cleveland and Houston did get new teams.  I don't think San Diego ever will get another team.  I do wonder how much longer San Diego is going to have Comic-Con.

In truth, much of it depends on how much local support (fans AND municipal) the team has with its home locale.  IIRC most of the city-franchise contracts have boilerplate clauses which state the owner can't move the team unless a season’s average game attendance falls below a certain percentage of available tickets/seats - so as long as the fans buy tickets and show up, they have nothing to worry about.  It’s when the fans stop buying tickets that problems start developing which might result in a move.

14 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I will root for your Titans tonight.  I had been a San Diego Chargers fan for decades.  The choking dogs that they were, so you might want me to root for the Colts instead.

Maybe you shoulda rooted for the Colts.  :/

• Love 1
On 12/21/2018 at 6:24 AM, OoohMaggie said:

I did have a FB account using a false ID, it lasted until they wanted a copy of my driving licence, yeah right! 

I know the old ‘RadioShack’ crowd went to........ Sammy’s group was it?  I was never one of the RS people, we had our own little gang, alas no more. I just can’t bring myself to put any faith in that NSA stooge.

someone musta tried to scam you. You do not have to provide driver license. I even created a totally fake fb using a made up name and a free email address i used strictly for that purpose. I had an old Netzero.net account laying around from the dialup days so I used that email.

Edited by 1 who Knocks-Nuihc
  • Love 1
On 31/12/2018 at 10:29 AM, 1 who Knocks-Nuihc said:

someone musta tried to scam you. You do not have to provide driver license.

It was no scam judging by what others have said with the same problem, my fake I’d was working perfectly until something triggered some doubt as to my real self, when they send peoples info to the Agencies it probably gets sent back with ‘this person doesn’t exist, find out who he is and try again!’  Stamped on it 🕵️‍♂️

6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

They need a quarterback that can stay healthy. 

We were just too beat up; fully 1/4 of our starters are on the IR list, and losing Marcus Mariota on offense AND Jurrell Casey on defense for this game was just too much of a one-two punch on both sides of the line.  That, and we got killed on time of possession.  Didn’t stop me from trashing my vocal cords on defense, though.  :>

Edited by Nashville
Punctuation
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The Rose Bowl parade was interesting when one of the floats broke down.  I think it was the "First Continental Railroad" float

I just watched a bit on UTube, who was the celeb in the Grand Marshall’s car, with the meatheads walking behind? 

• Love 1

I have not yet christened my insta pot. Haven't been home long enough. Now that real life starts back up and good lord is it painful. Work (blah) eating right (blah) I managed to give myself some kind of shin splints or something, my leg hurts but it's not my knee, hip, ankle it's like smack dab in my shins, dunno how I did that, just old I guess.

I got a note in my mail box from a neighbor. Says there's a tree on my side pushing her fence over...except it's a tree growing between the 2 fences. When the previous owners put up the fence they didn't come over to me and say "hey we're putting up this monstrously tall fence and it'll be 2 inches from your piece of crap chain-link fence, we would take out your chain link?" as in I would have kicked in some money at the time and then 1 fence not 2. but they didn't so this thing started growing and my only option was my lil clipper do dads between the links. soon it became too large then I chopped off it's head once it became taller than my fence then it was too big for any of my chopping utensils. So we can poison the tree, stop further growth...she can figure out a chainsaw scenario that will work but I aint putting any money towards tree removal. I could snip the chain link around the tree and then be able to chain saw it. I have no pets that would get loose and the wooden fence is there, once again, I'm not putting forth any money to get rid of my fence now.

I should just sell my house and get away from people.

• Love 3

Chaka Khan.

Thanks for that, now I have that horrible song going through my head.

Sorry, It was a horrible song, but how the hell does she warrant security to a presidential degree?  I think I was being well over generous with the ‘Celeb’ description, is that really the best they could come up with for the procession?

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 2

It does sound like Judge Judy and I could be reading more passive aggressive into the note than is actually there. But it's amazing how much stuff I've killed without trying and I couldn't kill this bloody tree to save my life. There are many bushes in the back that I've trimmed just to keep them kinda neat and boom I've killed it.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 5:29 AM, 1 who Knocks-Nuihc said:

someone musta tried to scam you. You do not have to provide driver license. I even created a totally fake fb using a made up name and a free email address i used strictly for that purpose. I had an old Netzero.net account laying around from the dialup days so I used that email.

True I'm in Sammy's Group in FB..don't use real name..no problems..then again, never gave a reason for questioning from FB either...If I could suggest one thing..make sure your First and Last name are believable...

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, jingles13 said:

True I'm in Sammy's Group in FB..don't use real name..no problems..then again, never gave a reason for questioning from FB either...If I could suggest one thing..make sure your First and Last name are believable...

So... Rhubarb Hufflepuff isn’t really an option?  ;>

• Love 2

That show was in syndication in the not too distant past.  I think at one point MeTV was airing the reruns.

They still air Cannon and Mannix in the overnight hours.  I know detective shows, a totally different thing.

I remember The Banana Splits when they were aired as reruns.  Their theme music kind of gets in your head and stays there.  Not in a bad way.

The original Jonny Quest was pretty cool.  Way before my time, but I watched that in reruns as well.

With the exception of Jonny Quest, I saw all of them on their original airings - so yeah, I’m that old.  :)

• Love 1

I caught an ep of "Mannix" the other night, and I believe someone here commented that it was surprising he could function considering how many times he'd been knocked out.

Over the eight seasons of the series, Mannix was knocked unconscious fifty-five times and shot seventeen times.

He should have had serious brain damage, but TV cops/private eyes were tougher then, I guess.

Interesting: Mike Connors lived to be 91 and was married to the same woman for 67 years. Way to go, Mannix!

• Love 2

That was me.

Thanks. I feel like Rick: "I tried to find your post. I nearly did but... I couldn't."

I don't think they could show Jonny Quest  in this era unedited.  The same is probably true with Bugs Bunny

I'm sure there's a huge list of old shows that could not be aired now for fear of triggering, offending, insulting or making someone or something on the planet "uncomfortable."

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

I'm sure there's a huge list of old shows that could not be aired now for fear of triggering, offending, insulting or making someone or something on the planet "uncomfortable."

Hell, if Mel Brooks tried making “Blazing Saddles” today he’d be lynched before he got three days deep into the shooting schedule.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Hell, if Mel Brooks tried making “Blazing Saddles” today he’d be lynched before he got three days deep into the shooting schedule.

Imagine "Airplane?" These are two of the funniest movies I ever saw in my life, but now? The tears of the angry, offended Tumblr-ing, Twittering, FBing social justice warriors (who never have an original thought but just parrot others) would fill a lake.

• Love 5

It’s good to see shows like Preacher running with the ‘I don’t care if you are offended’ ball,

”I’m sorry I don’t do impressions, my training is in psychiatry,” that courtroom still has me in tears.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

What made my skin crawl was when my mom laughed when Elaine was "blowing" up the automatic pilot. 

And the automatic pilot smoked a ciggie after! Luckily I was old enough not to watch this with my mother. Hilarious scene, as it was when Elaine was recounting a romantic evening with Ted. It was so poetic, in her sweet voice and then she says, "when I sat on your face." I nearly choked with laughter. A modern classic is this movie, with the jokes coming so fast and thick it required several viewings to get them all.

"Short People" was actually a condemnation of those who judge by appearances, IMO.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I believe it was, but even back in the '70s there were some that looked for any reason to get offended.

Oh, yes - probably the same people who didn't "get" that "All in the Family" was not a show championing all sorts of bigotry.

As for "Short People" someone took such offense they recorded very poorly done rebuttal:

• Love 1

I don't think I've every watched all of Airplane and only the bits I have seen when I was much younger, I don't imagine I got any of the jokes. I was thinking last night I need to re-read some books from when I was younger to see if my perspective has changed but I guess I should probably see some movies as well. Don't think I've ever seen Blazing Saddles

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, nachomama said:

Don't think I've ever seen Blazing Saddles

Well, you’re either in for a hell of a treat, or a hell of a shock, but on one thing the world can unite, that the baked bean scene is hilarious!

• Love 4

I was meh on Titanic, with all the true stories they had to invent a stupid one but actual found footage. I watched E.T. for the first time in years and it was still pretty good. I made fun of some of the dated stuff but I still got teary.

10 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Well, you’re either in for a hell of a treat, or a hell of a shock, but on one thing the world can unite, that the baked bean scene is hilarious!

Honestly, the first time I saw that I was in tears. That's the kind of crazy nonsense I love. I wish they would take TWD in this direction and maybe I could enjoy it.

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

There are a lot of very popular movies that I have never seen.  Among them, E.T. and Titanic.

Go to YT and watch the sinking part. It's the only segment worth watching, IMO.

• Love 2

Hey you guys.  I finally got my promotion.  And I took down one more manager before I transferred.  I’m feeling as invincible as Kenny Powers right now.   I didn’t win at baseball, but I won at life.  My lifelong dream of being a claims adjuster has come to fruition. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, nachomama said:

Don't think I've ever seen Blazing Saddles

We’ll have to get together for cocktails one evening, because I can quote you the whole damn movie.

Holy Grail too, for that matter.

And so can both of my kids, because I’ve always felt an education in the classics was important.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

My lifelong dream of being a claims adjuster has come to fruition. 

Congratulations to Mu Shu!  May you happily adjust claims forever more!:)

7 hours ago, Nashville said:

We’ll have to get together for cocktails one evening, because I can quote you the whole damn movie.

That might get you arrested these days.

7 hours ago, Nashville said:

And so can both of my kids, because I’ve always felt an education in the classics was important.

So nice to hear of the young'uns being brought up right.

Speaking of "Airplane", I found this fascinating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-v2BHNBVCs

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Hey you guys.  I finally got my promotion.  And I took down one more manager before I transferred.  I’m feeling as invincible as Kenny Powers right now.   I didn’t win at baseball, but I won at life.  My lifelong dream of being a claims adjuster has come to fruition

Congrats, I hope the promotion doesn’t take you into managerial territory, where you may become the target of unhappy underlings! 🎯🎯😱

• Love 2
18 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Honestly, the first time I saw that I was in tears. That's the kind of crazy nonsense I love. I wish they would take TWD in this direction and maybe I could enjoy it.

That recent cosy campfire scene at the bridge build camp, with everybody chilling and Carol and Zeke snuggling, could have ended so differently with the addition of a few plates of beans! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

That recent cosy campfire scene at the bridge build camp, with everybody chilling and Carol and Zeke snuggling, could have ended so differently with the addition of a few plates of beans! 

Can you picture the awesomeness? Or when Negan was having the meeting with his henchmen? Someone needs to add some farts to that scene.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 1