Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

That recent cosy campfire scene at the bridge build camp, with everybody chilling and Carol and Zeke snuggling, could have ended so differently with the addition of a few plates of beans! 

5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Can you picture the awesomeness? Or when Negan was having the meeting with his henchmen? Someone needs to add some farts to that scene.

Farts make everything better - provided, of course, you’re not in the immediate vicinity....

• Love 1
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

One of the things I used to hear all of the time, is "the book is better than the movie".  Can anyone think of any movies that were better than the books that they were based off of.

“The Godfather”, maybe.

• Love 1
On 1/9/2019 at 10:09 AM, AngelaHunter said:

Congratulations to Mu Shu!  May you happily adjust claims forever more!:)

That might get you arrested these days.

So nice to hear of the young'uns being brought up right.

Speaking of "Airplane", I found this fascinating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-v2BHNBVCs

Thanks!  It’s turned to shit already!  They fired someone and dumped her cases on me.  I’m 2 years old, you have to be at least three to run the Kentucky derby.  

My ass is weighed down like Seabiscuit.  Anyway, I’m using it to get to a better place.  But my boss lied to me, so I’m gunning for her ass.  She’ll be the third one to cross me and lose.  Once I get into Old Testament mode, it’s on.  

Bunch of fuckers.  Wait until they hear about eyebrow licking time. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Can anyone think of any movies that were better than the books that they were based off of.

Not often that happens, but I totally agree with Nashville. I read "The Godfather" when I was very young, thought it outstanding and decided to read it again a few years ago. Not good. At all. That whole long sidestory about the doctor and Sonny's ex-girlfriend - like, WTF? Movie is head and shoulders better.

And then there are movies that have little in common with the book besides the name. Daphne DuMaurier's "The Birds" comes to mind. So different it's impossible to compare them.

11 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

Thanks!  It’s turned to shit already!

Well. That sux. I guess it pays to be mildly incompetent so you don't get burdened with work to the breaking point. :( Sorry to hear that.

• Love 2

Lol.  I knew it was coming, but I thought it would be a couple more months down the line.  It’s a shitty company, and I’ll be out soon.  Anyway, I just went to Publix and saw an angel.  They better fear the wrath!

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Not often that happens, but I totally agree with Nashville. I read "The Godfather" when I was very young, thought it outstanding and decided to read it again a few years ago. Not good. At all. That whole long sidestory about the doctor and Sonny's ex-girlfriend - like, WTF? Movie is head and shoulders better.

And then there are movies that have little in common with the book besides the name. Daphne DuMaurier's "The Birds" comes to mind. So different it's impossible to compare them.

Right? As soon as Nashville commented I thought about that part. I actually like "The Godfather," but that whole segment was ridiculous. 

It could also be argued that "The Wizard of Oz" made a better movie. Certainly very different from the book. 

• Love 1

Agreed, the Godfather is so much better as a movie than a book; the Hollywood portions are so unpleasant to read.

Silence of the Lambs is a good book but I think it's an even better movie.  2001 is a better movie than book but I'm not sure it counts because the book was written simultaneously with the movie.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, rab01 said:

Silence of the Lambs is a good book but I think it's an even better movie.

I read the original book where we meet Hannibal Lecter for the first time. The book is "The Red Dragon" by Thomas Harris. For some reason the movie was called "Manhunter." This movie was very good and very true to the book, although not nearly as creepy. Brian Cox was great as Hannibal as was the always wonderful Dennis Farina as Jack Crawford.  Then came the movie CALLED "Red Dragon", kind of a mix of SOTL and Red Dragon. IMO, Ralph Fiennes was very miscast as Francis Dollarhyde - even with makeup still too good-looking for us to believe he suffered mental anguish caused by his appearance. Tom Noonan in "Manhunter" was very much like the book version.

Shit. I just re-read what I wrote and even I'm confused now.

52 minutes ago, rab01 said:

Agreed, the Godfather is so much better as a movie than a book; the Hollywood portions are so unpleasant to read.

And that portion was so out of left field and disjointed it was as though it came from a different book.

And what about guilty pleasures? I like to watch *some* big, dumb disaster movies - 2012, The Day After Tomorrow, Godzilla (the one with Matthew Broderick only), stuff like that.

• Love 2

Help, I'm trying to identify an actor. I don't know his name or what I've seen him in. He's a smaller guy, like Rick Moranis. He has kind of fishy lips. The scene I remember is of him sliding out in the fetal position all slimed, like he's just been birthed. I don't know if ithis was a movie or some Adult Swim satire, but I can't remember enough to search. I hope some of you tv and movie buffs can help me out.

3 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

Help, I'm trying to identify an actor. I don't know his name or what I've seen him in. He's a smaller guy, like Rick Moranis. He has kind of fishy lips. The scene I remember is of him sliding out in the fetal position all slimed, like he's just been birthed. I don't know if ithis was a movie or some Adult Swim satire, but I can't remember enough to search. I hope some of you tv and movie buffs can help me out.

Either of these? :)

4 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I read the original book where we meet Hannibal Lecter for the first time. The book is "The Red Dragon" by Thomas Harris. For some reason the movie was called "Manhunter."

I looked this up a while back, and it’s kind of interesting.  Manhunter was directed by Michael Mann (of Miami Vice fame) and produced by Dino De Laurentiis.  The year before Manhunter was due to be released, De Laurentiis had released another film he’d produced - and it had flopped ROYALLY.  Only made enough to cover about 3/4 of its production costs, and the rest - about $6M - came out of Dino’s pocket.

The name of that movie?  Year of the Dragon.

I expect you see where this is going. Mann wanted to keep the original book title, but Dino was either (a) superstitious or (b) wanting to distance himself as far as possible from the stinking carcass of the previous year’s debacle.  :)

This movie was very good and very true to the book, although not nearly as creepy. Brian Cox was great as Hannibal as was the always wonderful Dennis Farina as Jack Crawford. 

I agree with you on this’un; IMHO the story’s climatic confrontation was handled MUCH better in Manhunter than in the book.  I enjoyed the book, but its ending always struck me as... truncated.  I always got the impression Harris had a good bit more to the story he wanted to tell, but his publisher was grinding his ass to meet a publication deadline - so Harris slapped together the last half-dozen or so pages, and said fuck it. The movie departed from the book in this respect, but I thought the movie’s take was a vast improvement.

Then came the movie CALLED "Red Dragon", kind of a mix of SOTL and Red Dragon. IMO, Ralph Fiennes was very miscast as Francis Dollarhyde - even with makeup still too good-looking for us to believe he suffered mental anguish caused by his appearance. Tom Noonan in "Manhunter" was very much like the book version.

Shit. I just re-read what I wrote and even I'm confused now.

I gotcha.  I always figured Red Dragon was cranked out to cash in on Anthony Hopkins’s star status - but I much preferred the overall tone of Manhunter, and IMHO Brian Cox’s portrayal of Lector was MUCH creepier than Hopkins’s.

Edited by Nashville
Typo
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Nashville said:

I looked this up a while back, and it’s kind of interesting.  Manhunter was directed by Michael Mann (of Miami Vice fame) and produced by Dino De Laurentiis.  The year before Manhunter was due to be released, De Laurentiis had released another film he’d produced - and it had flopped ROYALLY.  Only made enough to cover about 3/4 of its production costs, and the rest - about $6M - came out of Dino’s pocket.

The name of that movie?  Year of the Dragon.

That is very interesting. Thanks. I understand now, but for readers of Red Dragon, it made it impossible to know the movie was based on the book. I only figured it out as I started watching it (no IMDB back then) - "Hey! This is my book!"

5 hours ago, Nashville said:

I gotcha.  I always figured Red Dragon was cranked out to cash in on Anthony Hopkins’s star status - but I much preferred the overall tone of Manhunter, and IMHO Brian Cox’s portrayal of Lector was MUCH creepier than Hopkins’s.

Agree. When "Red Dragon" came out, I thought we already went there, did that. I too prefer the much lower-key "Manhunter". (Check the very young and almost unrecognizable Stephen Lang!) I brought up this movie because it appeared on my TV the other night and I thought a rewatch was in order. It's been so long since I read the book I can't remember the ending, but in the movie I did appreciate that they didn't do the old, tired, "Killer seems dead but jumps up, gets "killed" again" slasher trope.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Nashville said:

The fact I’ve purely loved “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida” since well before this movie was ever thought of doesn’t hurt, either.  ;>

That was just perfect, wasn't it? Amazing how much the right music can enhance a movie.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

*Steps away from keyboard, trying not to piss off MU SHU*

She got her wagon fixed but good.  I promise, I’m nice.  Until you cross me.  Then people get nailed to trees.  Figuratively, of course.  Maybe.

i have to admit reading the Harlequin presents books with sex, but old fashioned name for penises and vagina.  They always have arrogant Greeks and poor English women.  

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

i have to admit reading the Harlequin presents books with sex, but old fashioned name for penises and vagina.

I read so many Harlequin romances when I was about 18, I think I could have written one myself, since the formula was so strict and unvarying. No sex of any kind in those. Anyway, I need to know what these "old fashioned" names are? I really need a laugh.

On 12/01/2019 at 2:12 AM, AngelaHunter said:

It's on YT! BTW, Joan Allen was great too. Love her.

Perfect casting all round and the best film by far,  but Hoppo and Foster get all the attention, Noonan is the stuff of nightmares and as for the Tiger scene, wow!

493C2CA0-25B2-4E14-A310-FA7137BE5C34.jpeg

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

For sure, yet he managed to be terrifying and tragic at the same time - not just a one-dimensional cartoon character, like some I could name.

Lol, I could so see him swinging a barbed baseball bat, no fake smiles there and he’d scare the shit out of me, going by the half mask, doesn’t he resemble that Beta dude we’re about to see?

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Lol, I could so see him swinging a barbed baseball bat, no fake smiles there and he’d scare the shit out of me, going by the half mask,

Right. THAT would be scary. No endless yapping and no juvenile bragging about the size and state of his genitals. Wee Bobby should watch this, or watch "The Hitcher" with Rutger Hauer, (another movie that scared the daylights out of me at the time)to see that the truly frightening and intimidating doesn't require any of what he thinks it does. Really, I can't imagine being frightened of someone yelling, "My dick is bigger than yours!" To Bob and The Gimp - Less IS often more.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Superclam said:

Because of the shutdown? 

Yup.  I’m an excepted federal employee in a shut-down Agency, which means I still have to show up and work for the promise of a paycheck at some point in the future.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

“Jon Bernthal and Vera Farmiga Join ‘Sopranos’ Prequel Movie”

I know a lot of us, while watching "The Sopranos" during the flashback scenes with Johnny Boy Soprano, Dickie Moltisanti, Olivia and Uncle June, said we would be thrilled to see a series featuring these guys. "The Sopranos" was my all-time favorite show ever, so I'll certainly give it a try. Thanks for the heads up, OoohMaggie!

Nashville, sorry to hear you're working for nothing. Hope your situation gets sorted out soon. :(

• Love 2
12 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

The Sopranos" was my all-time favorite show ever, so I'll certainly give it a try.

I hope it doesn’t turn out to be a case of ‘beware what you wish for’, but as the series creator is co-writing the script we should be in for a treat, and who doesn’t want to see JB in a sharp suit and an Eldorado Biarritz

• Love 1

Usually if I watch a movie before I read the book, I can appreciate both. I didn't read Game of Thrones until after I had already started the show so I can separate the 2 in my mind.

I do enjoy a Vera Farmiga, I truly hope they do it good.

I hope the shutdown ends soon, none of the people who aren't getting paid deserved any of that.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

I hope it doesn’t turn out to be a case of ‘beware what you wish for’,

Absolutely. Prequels/sequels are often poorly-done money grabs but as you say, David Chase is involved and although he may have had a few misses in the original series, his genius was undeniable, IMO.

2 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

who doesn’t want to see JB in a sharp suit and an Eldorado Biarritz

The actors playing JB and Junior (he really looked like Old June) were simply awesome, not forgetting "I'll stick this fork right in your eye!" young Olivia. Normally I find flashbacks to be less than captivating, but this case every time they headed into one, I was all like, "Oh, boy!" and wished they were longer. Of course, he didn't stick long, boring flashbacks randomly in the middle of some action-packed/tense/suspenseful scene either.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

And don't forget the awesome music!

Absolutely, even though you mentioned Johnny Boy eight posts above it still didn’t register, maybe I do have a Bernthal crush and what with Punisher 2.0 just around the corner, it’s going to be a hell of a year, I suppose I should mention Lauren’s Whiskey Cavalier starting after the Oscars, I’m trying to be excited, I really am.........

• Love 1
7 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

maybe I do have a Bernthal crush and what with Punisher 2.0 just around the corner,

I never saw him anywhere but TWD and one YT vid where he guested on a talk show, but I watch very little TV. The only other place I've seen Lauren Cohan ws in a little horror movie called "The Boy" and thought she was quite good in it. No Grumpy Cat face or weird accent!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I never saw him anywhere but TWD and one YT vid where he guested on a talk show, but I watch very little TV. The only other place I've seen Lauren Cohan ws in a little horror movie called "The Boy" and thought she was quite good in it. No Grumpy Cat face or weird accent!

He was in a film called Shot Caller with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, ’Jaimie’ from GOT, I thought it was really good, and yet another incentive to never end up in prison.

She had a Scaredy-cat face, but ‘The Boy’ was pretty decent and I really enjoyed Mile 22, but I do like those kind of films.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

She had a Scaredy-cat face, but ‘The Boy’ was pretty decent

It was a decent horror. It went a bit off the rails at the end, but I enjoyed the rest of it. Never heard of "Shot Caller" or "Mile 22" but might check them out. I'm always looking for good movies and they seem to be few and far between these days.

On 1/15/2019 at 3:37 PM, OoohMaggie said:

Absolutely, even though you mentioned Johnny Boy eight posts above it still didn’t register

That's okay. Not much registers with me anymore! I have to come to this forum usually to find out what happened on the latest TWD ep.

I did make a Sopranos fan vid. Not the greatest, but you may enjoy a bit.

https://vimeo.com/196920035

• Love 1
On 1/13/2019 at 8:43 PM, Nashville said:

Yup.  I’m an excepted federal employee in a shut-down Agency, which means I still have to show up and work for the promise of a paycheck at some point in the future.

That sucks. I've seen posts from others who are affected by this, and the most recent one was a baby has yet to be added to their parent's health insurance, because the people aren't there to file the paperwork?? Something like that. So they've being hit with horrendous hospital bills.

23 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

We watched the movie last year. I expected the ending - the twist. She actually creeped me out a bit, when she was falling for what was happening, believing the doll was really a boy. 

• Love 1
On 1/12/2019 at 5:44 PM, AngelaHunter said:

I read so many Harlequin romances when I was about 18, I think I could have written one myself, since the formula was so strict and unvarying. No sex of any kind in those. Anyway, I need to know what these "old fashioned" names are? I really need a laugh.

Uh, throbbing manhood and honeyed welcome.  Blossoming womanhood.  Secret V.

There is one called Pregnesia.  A pregnant woman with amnesia.  Gotta get my hands on that. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Nashville said:

...said no prospective-father ex-boyfriend, ever.  ;>

Coffee-spewer alert! Ha!

I just thought of another movie I liked much better than I did the book: "The Talented Mr.Ripley." When I found out the author was Patricia Highsmith I sought out the book after seeing the movie and was thrilled to find it available as a free download. I was underwhelmed.

• Love 2