Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, kismet said:

Watched Bridget Jones Baby today on my lazy day off... and well I truly liked it. I was laughing, crying and rooting for Mr. Darcy again. I did not believe that I would like the movie, but picked it up on a whim at the library. Having loved the original books and films, I was hesitant to watch the latest installment after hearing some of the reviews. Then again, this is not a film for film critics. I also think having zero expectations made it better. After the emotional trainwreck of the final book, I did not know if I could go into Bridget's World again only to be heartbroken. I know the main reason myself and other fans stayed away was because the final book had left a different and sour taste in our mouths. The Edge of Reason film adaptation, I think also hurt because it changed some of the story and felt less like Bridget. 

That being said, if I had spent a movie ticket for I might have been disappointed in it. It was a sweet adorable film that I enjoyed, but not sure it was worth $20. Films like this always make better at home films than dropping the crazy money it costs to go to the theaters these days. I really think there are certain genres that should just have promotions like bogo or coupons to get people into the audience. Because if audiences see it for an affordable price, they are more likely to get other people to see it. And sadly, rom-coms (& most comedies for me) fall into that category of NON-event showings, so disposable income does become a factor. There are very few rom-coms that are worth the $20, if I know I can wait a few months and spend half or even less to watch them. But give me bargain or special deal seats and I can be there no worries. I do really think the cost prohibits people.

I also did not think I was going to be a fan of the who's the Daddy plot, but somehow it worked. Both Colin Firth & Patrick Dempsey were charming and viable options. For once, I felt like everything was going to break Bridget's way. It was nice to see her find happiness again, especially considering her life had never gone according to her plan. She is relatable and lovable heroine.

It was written by Helen Fielding & Emma Thompson (I forget the 3rd person) so that I think most definitely helped. Emma Thompson also makes a witty addition as Bridget's OB. It was directed by Sharon Maguire who had done the first movie, so I think that also helped. It felt a little like coming home and authentic to Bridget, which Edge of Reason as much as I enjoyed the film felt a little too movie and not Bridget.

All I can say, is a was immensely charmed by the film and loved just about every minute of it. I highly recommend it for any Bridget fans, people looking for a fun escapist movie and most importantly anyone who was put off by either the final novel or the movie version of Edge of Reason. It made me remember why I loved Bridget in the first place.

I am relieved to read this.  I'd avoided the movie before, sure I wasn't going to like it and yes, that she once again broken up with Darcy is annoying but now I feel like it will be safe to watch the movie rather than dread the day some friend insists on watching it.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, BkWurm1 said:

I am relieved to read this.  I'd avoided the movie before, sure I wasn't going to like it and yes, that she once again broken up with Darcy is annoying but now I feel like it will be safe to watch the movie rather than dread the day some friend insists on watching it.  

Her breaking up with Darcy pre-movie actually made sense. There was a sad montage part that explained it all and felt like the writers put some good rationale behind the break-up.

I'm doing a Dawson Creeks Rewatch since I haven't watched in at least five years. Just finished season 1.

I forgot how melodramatic Joey and Dawson were. Jen was way to good for everyone in season one, Dawson was a passive aggressive slut shaming dick to Jen as a boyfriend, Joey was a passive agressive bitch as a frenemy to Jen. Pacey is still my Bae and reminded me why he was the first character I ever fan girlied over as a preteen. Dawson was also a pretty passive agressive friend to Pacey to. And Dawson Creek is one of the few shows where I didn't hate the adults and their drama. And unpopular opinion: I also didn't hate Abby.

Plus I forgot that they planted the Pacey/Joey thing in season one. Even though I was kind of low key shipping Pacey and Bitchy Beauty Contestant girl.

And side note: Katie Holmes was a terrible terrible singer who butchered Les Miserables!

Its dated as hell now but the Oxford thesarus script writing aside it was a great coming of age show before the OC Gossip Girl One Tree Hill era.

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Jen was way to good for everyone in season one, Dawson was a passive aggressive slut shaming dick to Jen as a boyfriend, Joey was a passive agressive bitch as a frenemy to Jen. 

At the time, I so hoped that Dawson slut shamig Jen would lead to Joey getting pissed at him for it since she had problems with people labeling her and Bessie because of their dad, and her and Jen bonding. Alas. Then again, I also hoped that season 2 would open with Joey and Dawson pulling away from that kiss all, Um, so... Totally awkward, right? So awkward! Let's never speak of it again. You pick a movie and I'll go get pop corn.

Just now, Mellowyellow said:

How is One Tree Hill?

I really like Hilarie Burton on Lethal Weapon so I'm interested.

OTH is far from perfect. The acting in S1 was almost universally bad and Hilarie Burton and James Lafferty were the worst offenders IMO. Even worse than CMM who very rightly earned the nickname Sir Squint-a-lot. There was still something likeable about the show in those early seasons, though. I liked the adults, enjoyed Nathan and Haley's romance, thought the theme of brotherhood over two generations was dealt with fairly interestingly early on, and loved that there was never anything remotely romantic about Lucas and Haley.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, bijoux said:

At the time, I so hoped that Dawson slut shamig Jen would lead to Joey getting pissed at him for it since she had problems with people labeling her and Bessie because of their dad, and her and Jen bonding. Alas. Then again, I also hoped that season 2 would open with Joey and Dawson pulling away from that kiss all, Um, so... Totally awkward, right? So awkward! Let's never speak of it again. You pick a movie and I'll go get pop corn.

Seriously! I was like 9 when Dawson Creek aired- and yes I watched it live (worst parenting ever haha)- so probably most the awfulness of Dawson went over my head but BOY he slut shamed Jen at least once an episode and then they would have some character pay him on the back and tell him what a great guy he is and how he is the better then everyone else. And poor Jen thought that poorly about herself that she just took it. 

I honestly didn't remember it being that bad. 

And yeah seriously Joey was not the nice as pie poor overlooked girl next door even if the show tried to play her off as such. Jen was way nicer and more supportive of Joey then vice versa. 

11 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

How is One Tree Hill?

I really like Hilarie Burton on Lethal Weapon so I'm interested.

That said she's a kick ass reasonable character on LW so maybe I shouldn't try to watch her on a CW show.

One tree hill is not bad. The first like four seasons were awesome but after that some of the plots went in to day time soap crazy levels and similar to Arrow the show would produce 35% amazing episodes 35% okay episodes and 35% WTF am I watching episodes.

But @Mellowyellow for shipping One Tree Hill had some awesome a ones and I think you especially would enjoy Nathan and Haley as they were probably the most fan fiction fluffy couple on television. They have the whole Bad Boy falls for Smart Good Girl trope and you get to see them marry, be a married couple, have and raise babies and they also besides one big breakup most of the drama they go through they stay together as a couple while dealing with it.

...And now I kind of want to do a OTH Rewatch after Dawson's Creek haha. 

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Seriously! I was like 9 when Dawson Creek aired- and yes I watched it live (worst parenting ever haha)- so probably most the awfulness of Dawson went over my head but BOY he slut shamed Jen at least once an episode and then they would have some character pay him on the back and tell him what a great guy he is and how he is the better then everyone else. And poor Jen thought that poorly about herself that she just took it. 

I honestly didn't remember it being that bad. 

And yeah seriously Joey was not the nice as pie poor overlooked girl next door even if the show tried to play her off as such. Jen was way nicer and more supportive of Joey then vice versa. 

I was the exact same age as the characters when it aired and I suppose that it is heartening that I could see the treatment of Jen was wrong at 15 or 16. It goes to show that girls that age are critical thinkers, TV.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Thanks guys!!! I'm going to try out a few eps to see if it appeals to me! I love me a bad boy/smart girl trope!!!!!

Here's a little sneak preview of Nathan and Haley moments if you want to get a spoilery taste of them:

• Love 2

They aren't as good looking as Olicity! I'm so shallow but one of the things that sold me at first on Olicity was how good looking and cute I thought EBR was.

The tutoring scene was adorable though! That definitely appealed to me! I'm going to navigate my Netflix to find season 1.

We're not going to get Olicity babies though are we? With all the big bads and villains. Watching that reel made me realise we did get some really good Olicity stuff! I wish we'd get married Olicity and babies one day though. 

I'm hoping and quietly confident we get married Olicity since Oliver was one of the few married comic book characters. 

I think we will probably get William back before we get Olicity babies though because at least the writers can ship William off when ever they please. But I could see a flash forward scene in the series finale of Oliver with his and Felicitys baby/child maybe. But unfortunately I don't know if we would get them raising babies on the show. 

• Love 1

Two and a half episodes in to Joey and Dawson's relationship and I already want to skip to the next season and the Pacey loves Joey arch

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 2

Guys why are the parents on OTH so young???? Like seriously the mum of the squinty guy looks like she could date him!

47 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I'm hoping and quietly confident we get married Olicity since Oliver was one of the few married comic book characters. 

I think we will probably get William back before we get Olicity babies though because at least the writers can ship William off when ever they please. But I could see a flash forward scene in the series finale of Oliver with his and Felicitys baby/child maybe. But unfortunately I don't know if we would get them raising babies on the show. 

Ugh so you're telling me I need to embrace spawn to get to Olicity? Whyyyyy??? Whyyyyyyy can't he die in Flashpoint??????

Hehe okies then!

Up to 4th ep of OTH. So it seems like there is something going on with Peyton, Weird girl and Lucas. Will that be a love triangle?

I like Haley!!!!! This has promise! 

Is there going to be drama with the adults?

How did the dad land two good looking women, one very successful it seems!? He's a car salesman!!!!!!

Edited by Mellowyellow
adding more comments
54 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Guys why are the parents on OTH so young???? Like seriously the mum of the squinty guy looks like she could date him!

The kids were born when they were all still 18. Dan got Karen (high school girlfriend) and Deb (college girlfriend with well to do parents) pregnant in quick succession.

Who is Weird Girl?

3 minutes ago, bijoux said:

The kids were born when they were all still 18. Dan got Karen (high school girlfriend) and Deb (college girlfriend with well to do parents) pregnant in quick succession.

Who is Weird Girl?

The one that keeps hitting on Lucas and pulling faces.

5 hours ago, LeighAn said:

Here's a little sneak preview of Nathan and Haley moments if you want to get a spoilery taste of them:

4 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

They aren't as good looking as Olicity! I'm so shallow but one of the things that sold me at first on Olicity was how good looking and cute I thought EBR was.

One, Bethany Joy Lenz is a beautiful woman. Two, James Lafferty had some seriously unfortunate haircuts during the show's run. Three, they were so cheesy it's hard to believe. A second wedding or a recommitment ceremony before they finished high school. I couldn't even place it without Michael Trucco playing Deb's brother.

• Love 1

I liked One Tree Hill in the early seasons but basically when they cut the adults out, I stopped caring.  I did like Brooke though.  More than Payton for a long time but I've enjoyed Hillary Burton since she left the show. She was great in her episodes of White Collar. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, bijoux said:

loved that there was never anything remotely romantic about Lucas and Haley.

Are they still good friends throughout the series?

I'm really enjoying the sibling dynamic/friendship between them. 

I like Deb! Deb is sane! Why did Deb marry a douche?

Brooke is still. .......odd. Not hateful just odd!

Do not care for the Peyton angst. 

Love the old coach. Is he going to die? I always worry about the older characters on shows that run for a long time. 

Will Karen get together with the nice big brother?

Edited by Mellowyellow
13 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Are they still good friends throughout the series?

I'm really enjoying the sibling dynamic/friendship between them. 

Brooke is still. .......odd. Not hateful just odd!

Yep they pretty much kept that sibling vibe the whole series which I'm eternally grateful for cause it would have been easy for them to hook Haley and Lucas up just for the sake of hooking every member of the cast up like other shows were doing at the time.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Love the old coach. Is he going to die? I always worry about the older characters on shows that run for a long time. 

Will Karen get together with the nice big brother?

Hey make Deb batshit crazy at one point. I enjoyed it at first but then it becomes utterly lame. She and Karen do stay friends for the most part, though, as far as I can remember.

This is my faulty memory here, and I didn't really follow the show faithfully after the high school years, but I think Whitey makes it.

Karen and Keith do get together, but there is trouble when they do. I don't know how much spoilers you want.

• Love 1

Thanks @bijoux! You can reveal whatever you like! I'm not sensitive to spoilers at all!

I'm the kind of person who knows the entire survivor boot list every season if it's available.

I'm glad karen and Deb remain friends. I like it how the two women are so nice! The husband Dan is such a loser though. 

Edited by Mellowyellow

Keith sleeps with Deb at one point, which I think causes some tension between Karen and Deb. Later on, Keith and Karen do manage to get together, but then he's killed during a school shooting by Dan, taking advantage of the situation, and Karen finds out or reveals that she's pregnant with his child after his death. So, they get together and are happy for a while, but no happy ending.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

I just saw Kong: Skull Island. It was a thoroughly enjoyable, entertaining B-movie. I had a blast. Diverse cast, but could have used more ladies. Stay for a great end tag after the credits. 

I call it the Marvel Alumni movie lol. Loki, Nick Fury and Soon to be Captain Marvel are in the Movie . I really liked it as well. They are setting up a universe like DC, Marvel, and I believe a Monster verse. 

• Love 2

Omg the actors why played Lucas and Brooke got married!!!!!

I don't notice anything super special about the chemistry though. 

I've never found actors who date to have better chemistry than actors who never dated. Didn't see it with Delena either. 

On 3/23/2017 at 4:50 AM, bijoux said:

I was the exact same age as the characters when it aired and I suppose that it is heartening that I could see the treatment of Jen was wrong at 15 or 16. It goes to show that girls that age are critical thinkers, TV.

I think I was around the same age as well. And I agree the treatment of Jen was wrong. Passive-Aggressive is a good way to describe Dawson, because that was how he behaved. I just remember being so annoyed by his behavior that I wondered why people were supposed to root for him. He was just obnoxious & self-centered. I totally understand people falling for the bad or wrong guy. But he wasn't that. He was supposed to be some nice boy, when clearly his behavior and beliefs were completely in contrast to that. Then again, I think some of that was intentional. Because part of DC's charm was that it was ironic and in some ways a satirical look at coming of age.

It's been a long-time since I watched Dawson's Creek. I think part of it, is not wanting to ruin what really was special time. Watching a a generally well written and acted coming of age story, while you are simultaneously coming of the same age is truly special. To go back and officially rewatch it, might take away some of what I loved & hated about the show. In some minuscule way, Dawson's Creek helped shape me, it definitely helped shape who I am as a TV viewer. To go back and watch it might be like one the dilemmas, time travelers face - where if I revisit a pivotal moment in the past, it runs the potential to unravel present/future events. For better or for worse, I have some fond memories of Dawson's that hold up to this day, I don't want those memories tarnished by an official rewatch.

That being said, I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. It might be dated, but overall it was good series. And it's influence and tropes can still be seen in present day TV.

• Love 2

I haven't really rewatched it either and for the same reasons you point out. I got burned when I tried to rewatch The Goonies a few years back. I loved that movie SO much and I just had to change the channel after 10 or 15 minutes because I was ruining my childhood memories.

• Love 1

You know what's weird?

Watching these teen shows when you have your own child. I'm enjoying OTH immensely but half the time I'm telling hubby "Oh little man better not be doing that when he's a teen! I'm going to put a tracker on him!"

I'm still channelling my inner teen and enjoying the drama but the mummy in me freaks out at all the sketchy teenage stuff they get up to as well. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Omg the actors why played Lucas and Brooke got married!!!!!

I don't notice anything super special about the chemistry though. 

I've never found actors who date to have better chemistry than actors who never dated. Didn't see it with Delena either. 

That marriage only lasted a few weeks/months I think. He cheated on her relatively quickly which is just sad. I truly felt bad for Sophia Bush, who seems like a really good person. I follow her on social media and she seems to actually care about things. I'm glad she found a good role on Chicago PD. Now if only I could get myself to watch cop shows.

I always love Hilarie Burton's hair, but I could never see her as an actress when she was on OTH, she was always just the MTV VJ to me, I do think it's kinda interesting/weird that she's married to Jeffrey Dean Morgan (the quintessential dead/dying guy in everything).

The actor who played Dan, had a cameo in the Notebook and I can remember just hating him in those few minutes for everything he did as Dan that had nothing to do with his role on the movie. Unfortunately, I think that actor was so good at being Dan in all of his maniacal & sadistic glory, that it's hard for me to separate him from that for future roles.

I never watched OTH faithfully, but the episodes & seasons I saw I really enjoyed. I think overall the cast was talented. The story was really inviting, but the storylines didn't always hold my attention. I think some of the plots were batshit crazy. I think they suffered from the network moving them around too much. I did enjoy Nathan & Haley's relationship. It was unrealistic and yet totally believable. One of these days I will do an official binge, but I say that about a lot of shows I followed in the periphery (Smallville, Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, etc). There just doesn't seem to be enough time.

@kismet I first saw Hilarie Burton as a straight haired sensible agent on Lethal Weapon so I'm really loving seeing her with the gorgeous crazy curly hair and looking so so young and all angsty.

Haha so Dan is meant to be ghastly! I've been watching it thinking everyone is alright except for awful Dan.

• Love 1

@Mellowyellow her curls are so envious!! Same with Keri Russell's!! I have always wanted curly hair like theirs. Also always really wanted to have green/blue eyes & red hair, too. I seriously wanted to be Annie (well not that haircut:/).

Despite red hair and light eyes being part of my genetic pool, sadly, I was given pretty but basic wavy dark brown hair & dark brown eyes. My baby-sitter/substitute grandma always called them chocolate eyes, but even that didn't make them feel special. Years of hair dyes & perms, though have made me embrace what nature gave me. Keeping up with my dark stubborn roots was just too massive a task for me or my wallet. Now if I go lighter, I think people will think I'm trying to blend in any greys, since that is what a lot of women my age and older are doing. I much rather just be a natural brunette for as long as possible. I'm also hoping for many decades of brown hair, one side of my genetic pool did not go grey until early 80s, and then just a few streaks. My mother greyed early, but she was always a dirty blonde with hazel eyes, so it just worked for her. Hopefully, I lucked out and got the no greys until late in life, since I missed out on the lighter hair & eyes.

I guess I can understand wanting to straighten it, grass is always greener, you want what you don't have, etc. But it always bums me out when people with amazing curly hair do it, especially with permanent chemicals.

Edited by kismet
2 hours ago, bijoux said:

I haven't really rewatched it either and for the same reasons you point out. I got burned when I tried to rewatch The Goonies a few years back. I loved that movie SO much and I just had to change the channel after 10 or 15 minutes because I was ruining my childhood memories.

2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

You know what's weird?

Watching these teen shows when you have your own child. I'm enjoying OTH immensely but half the time I'm telling hubby "Oh little man better not be doing that when he's a teen! I'm going to put a tracker on him!"

I'm still channelling my inner teen and enjoying the drama but the mummy in me freaks out at all the sketchy teenage stuff they get up to as well. 

I was just going to comment that I first rewatched the Goonies WITH my nephews who were of the age and younger of when I first saw the Goonies and their joy and delight just glossed over any of the more clunky stuff you see as an adult.  So if you want to love it again, find a bunch of kids to introduce it to.  It holds up to them.  And if you don't have access to the little buggers, binge Stranger Things.  So many of the same feels but with waay better CGI.  

• Love 1

@kismet at least you have natural waves! I have dead straight hair which I permed for years to get those curls Hilarie Burton had. Some perms worked better than others. I stopped when I got pregnant though as I was worried about the chemicals being bad for bubs and after bubs was born I had "mum hair' for the first two years. Am thinking of heading back to the perm but it's such a hassle to take care of and you kind of have to wear it down (if I am going to spend $500 on a perm I will not tie it up!!!!!), can't brush it etc. I don't know if I have the patience to maintain it these days!

On date night I do whip out the curling wand and give myself bouncing curls for the night!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, kismet said:

I always love Hilarie Burton's hair, but I could never see her as an actress when she was on OTH, she was always just the MTV VJ to me, I do think it's kinda interesting/weird that she's married to Jeffrey Dean Morgan (the quintessential dead/dying guy in everything).

They were introduced by Jensen Ackles (Dean Winchester) and his wife Danneel Harris who was on One Tree Hill with Hilarie. 

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

They were nntroduced by Jensen Ackles f(Dean Winchester) and his wife Danneel Harris who was on One Tree Hill with Hilarie. 

Ahh that makes sense! Thanks for the INfo

• Love 1

Finally, it took till the last game of the Sweet Sixteen, but finally the hero ball buzzer beater went down.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Finally, it took till the last game of the Sweet Sixteen, but finally the hero ball buzzer beater went down.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Who won?

I've been watching Once Upon a Time and, I swear, sometimes there are eerie similarities to Arrow. Or maybe, it's just that they use the same common themes. Latest example...

Spoiler

Last week Hook was planning to propose to Emma but then found out that, back in his evil pirate days, he killed David/Charming's father. So he's all conflicted, but then Emma finds the engagement ring and that more or less compels Hook to propose to her without telling her his dark secret. So they're engaged. Then this week, Emma finds out Hook's secret and she's angry, not because he killed her grandfather but because Hook didn't trust that she would understand and forgive him. So basically, it's not the secret itself that was the problem, but the fact that Hook didn't share the problem with her. She said something about how she agreed to marry him because she thought that they had the kind of relationship where they shared things and worked things out together. (I'm paraphrasing from memory.) She gives him back the ring. Hook decides to go off on a journey with Nemo because he thinks he's irredeemable and wants to try to become a better man. But he changes his mind when he finds out that the Evil Queen was redeemed and got her happy ending, but due to villain shenanigans, Nemo's sub takes off while he's on board, so now Emma thinks that he's abandoned her. In addition, there's the good Regina and bad Evil Queen as two sides to Regina, and how the bad side can be redeemed, and how Regina learns to reconcile both sides into being part of her.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

Errrr is Nemo actually a fish? 

It's Captain Nemo, the literary character from the Jules Verne novels, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island.

• Love 2
Just now, tv echo said:

It's Captain Nemo, the literary character from the Jules Verne novels, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island.

Lol I thought it was the Disney fish!!!! Was pondering how they'd have the fish walking around. 

Sometimes I'm not too bright =p

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Lol I thought it was the Disney fish!!!! Was pondering how they'd have the fish walking around. 

Sometimes I'm not too bright =p

Well they have Jiminy Cricket and Gus Gus walking around so you're allowed to have thought that. 

• Love 3