Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

So I just binged the second season of Voltron: Legendary Defender on Netflix.  Then I spent about a half hour reading up on the differences between the versions.  I know some people here had mentioned Keith/Allura shipping from the original series.  While I didn't see any in the first season, I think there were some hints in that direction in the second season.  And now with (spoilers for the end of the second season) 

Thank you for the heads up!  I think I could be ok with the series going in a different direction shipping wise (since Shiro sounded more like how Keith was in the original series anyway) if they don't follow through with Keith and Allura, but the one thing I'm still holding out hope for that the previous series gave me is Allura as one of the pilots.  The show is moving (it seems) through certain story beats at a much slower pace so I guess I'll keep holding on to hope.   

Edited by BkWurm1

Have you been watching it?  

I'm not sure if they're going to have Allura as a pilot or not.  I know I read that in the original series she piloted the blue lion, but it seems like that would require a bit of a shuffle.  Right now Lance pilots the blue lion, Keith pilots the red lion, and Shiro pilots the black lion.   (Hunk and Pidge pilot the yellow and green lions but I think that's the same as it was in the original.)

Spoiler

With Shiro disappearing, it seems like Keith will probably be taking over the black lion, at least for a while (depending on whether Shiro is gone for good or not).  So someone needs to take over the red lion.  But Allura pilots the castle ship and is the only one that can open the wormholes.  So I don't know how they'd get around that if she was in a lion.  

Everyone wants to sing...

Once Upon a Time Eyes Musical Episode for Spring — Who Will Sing?
By Matt Webb Mitovich / January 22 2017, 12:16 PM PST
http://tvline.com/2017/01/22/once-upon-a-time-musical-episode-season-6-spoilers/

“Be prepared” (as Scar might croon), because such melodic mysteries might be addressed during Season 6. TVLine hears that the fantastical, fairy tale-themed ABC series is currently planning a musical episode, to air sometime this spring. And to that end, some cast members are actively brushing up on their vocal skills.
As for who all would step up to the proverbial mic, “We all sing,” Once lead Jennifer Morrison told E! Online back in 2011 when asked about the possibility of a musical outing. “Josh Dallas, Ginny Goodwin, me…. I don’t know if Robert Carlyle sings; he probably does. I feel like we have a lot of musically inclined people in the cast. We’ll see!” Indeed.

Once, of course, won’t be the only musical lark in town this spring: The CW’s Supergirl/The Flash crossover will find the superfriends battling the Music Meister while breaking out in song, in a two-parter airing March 20-21.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

!!!

THE OFFICIAL TITLE FOR STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII REVEALED
January 23, 2017
http://www.starwars.com/news/the-official-title-for-star-wars-episode-viii-revealed

We have the greatest fans in this or any other galaxy. In appreciation of the fans, we wanted them to be the first to know the title of the next chapter in the Skywalker saga: STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI. 
STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI is scheduled for release December 15, 2017. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

2017 Oscar nominatons were announced this morning (La La Land got 14 noms, tying it with Titanic and All About Eve for the most noms in Oscar history)....

Oscar Nominations: Complete List
Variety Staff   January 24, 2017
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/2017-oscar-nominations-academy-awards-nominees-1201968107/

Best picture:
“Arrival”
“Fences”
“Hacksaw Ridge”
“Hell or High Water”
“Hidden Figures”
“La La Land”
“Lion”
“Manchester by the Sea”
“Moonlight”

Lead actor:
Casey Affleck, “Manchester by the Sea”
Andrew Garfield, “Hacksaw Ridge”
Ryan Gosling, “La La Land,”
Viggo Mortensen, “Captain Fantastic”
Denzel Washington, “Fences”

Lead actress:
Isabelle Huppert, “Elle”
Ruth Negga, “Loving”
Natalie Portman, “Jackie”
Emma Stone, “La La Land”
Meryl Streep, “Florence Foster Jenkins”

Supporting actor:
Mahershala Ali, “Moonlight”
Jeff Bridges, “Hell or High Water”
Lucas Hedges, “Manchester by the Sea”
Dev Patel, “Lion”
Michael Shannon, “Nocturnal Animals”

Supporting actress:
Viola Davis, “Fences”
Naomie Harris, “Moonlight”
Nicole Kidman, “Lion”
Octavia Spencer, “Hidden Figures”
Michelle Williams, “Manchester by the Sea”

Best director:
Damien Chazelle, “La La Land”
Mel Gibson, “Hacksaw Ridge”
Barry Jenkins, “Moonlight”
Kenneth Lonergan, “Manchester by the Sea”
Denis Villeneuve, “Arrival”
(Read more)

Edited by tv echo

This Is Us

Spoiler

Hate the Horse Guy. That entire thing is so cringeworthy. Love triangles are awful. I was not expecting the twist with Kevin. On one hand, I love Sloane but on the other hand, the set up was too ridiculous to be Sloane or Olivia. 'Love of you life' is a bit fast right there. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Chaser said:

This Is Us

Hide contents

Hate the Horse Guy. That entire thing is so cringeworthy. Love triangles are awful. I was not expecting the twist with Kevin. On one hand, I love Sloane but on the other hand, the set up was too ridiculous to be Sloane or Olivia. 'Love of you life' is a bit fast right there. 

Spoiler

Horse Guy is a complete ass. But going by Kate going for Toby, also an ass, and her tendencies for self-sabotage, I think chances are extremely high she'll go for it. She annoyed me at the beginning of her stay in the camp, but she really got to me when she broke down. 

The twist with Kevin was unexpected, but I also felt it made sense for him, because there is a romantic streak to him, much like in Jack, it's just combined with narcissism. And I do find it super adorable that he fell in love with Kate's friend when they were ten or so, and never went off. The divorce must have been when he started making it in Hollywood. And they must have gotten married super young to have been divorced before turning 25. I also really liked how they went back to the idea that Kevin had expressed earlier, that being one of three, he would get lost in the shuffle. Here, again we had Jack being there for Kate and Rebecca being there for Randall. So it actually makes sense that Kevin would branch out seeking attention. Side note: baby Randall is both wise beyond his years and actual funny, not little kid funny. Hee. Loved that. 

William and Randall were the epitome of This is Us in this episode, I think, both extremely touching and funny. Good thing they like Ron Cephas Jones. I was more than a little convinced they'd tie his death to Jack's in the past. Speaking of, I think the time of his death makes the most sense narratively. 

Not really spoilery, but what's up with Kate's job? It seems odd that a personal assisstant would get this much time off. Did she quit or get fired and they cut it like they did Beth's scenes after Toby's heart attack? Yeah, I still haven't let that go.

• Love 1

I actually find I like the Horse Guy with Kate, so far. But I like Toby with Kevin, especially this episode. Which makes me think that maybe its just Toby and Kate I don't like. I also wonder if maybe Kate can be annoying at times - I don't know if that is an intentional character choice, but sometimes I just don't like her attitude.

As for her breakdown, it was emotional. But I think that was more because of how much I don't want to lose Jack. SO it was less about her and more about losing Jack. Although his death is the emotional linchpin of the show, so seeing it through her eyes makes sense; since everything related to his death has come directly from Kate's SL.

I also did not see the Sophie twist coming. And I don't really know how I feel about it. Somehow I don't really enjoy the thought that Kevin stole his sister's best friend to be the love of his life. They could have set that up differently.

I loved Randall & William. Although I'm beginning to feel like Randall's life is a whole different life from the Pearsons. Sometimes, they overlap them. But often it feels like I'm watching two different shows. I keep waiting for them to interconnect. I know a gap occurred between them, so narratively it fits that the SL are distinct and separate. I just wish they were more interwoven. For example,

Spoiler

I wonder if perhaps the driving will be somehow connected to Jack's death. Perhaps, he died in a car accident. Or maybe Jack will become very focused on work and that will contribute to it. Because Randall becoming even more of a workaholic has to stem from somewhere. Also, his desire to delve deeper into work when things become emotionally challenging also comes from somewhere. And out of all of the kids, Randall & Jack to me seemed the most similar.

I will say it frustrates me that now I actively expect Jack to die in front of my eyes at any moment. It's adding a stress to the show that I don't like. For example, I fully expected him to collapse during the Madonna/Vogueing pep talk. It's really making it hard to watch the show. I really hope they resolve how he died before the end of s1. I love the flashbacks, but waiting for him to die is becoming unbearable.

You know, seeing Jack alive in that episode with the kids in high school actually made me relax on that account, because it was confirmed he doesn't die while they are still just little kids. Also, while I'm convinced that it will be pretty much the saddest thing ever when he does die, the structure of the show means they can still have Jack ON the show. They'll jus flash back to an earlier time when he was still alive when they have a story to tell.

I saw the promo for next week.

Spoiler

Wow, they're actually promoting it as a love triangle. Also, that guy becomes even assier apparently.

I am glad that Sophie shows up since it means learning more about her and their marriage. I'm wondering whether it happened shortly after Jack's death, at least partially in reaction to it.

27 minutes ago, bijoux said:

You know, seeing Jack alive in that episode with the kids in high school actually made me relax on that account, because it was confirmed he doesn't die while they are still just little kids. Also, while I'm convinced that it will be pretty much the saddest thing ever when he does die, the structure of the show means they can still have Jack ON the show. They'll jus flash back to an earlier time when he was still alive when they have a story to tell.

I saw the promo for next week.

Reveal hidden contents

Wow, they're actually promoting it as a love triangle. Also, that guy becomes even assier apparently.

I am glad that Sophie shows up since it means learning more about her and their marriage. I'm wondering whether it happened shortly after Jack's death, at least partially in reaction to it.

I completely forgot about that HS SL. Perhaps, because it was from a time when I thought they might not kill Jack. Can't remember if it was before or after Steelers episode. I guess the death is just weighing heavily over me. I know Jack can be on the show, but its just not the same.

I try not get to spoilery on the show. But your hidden contents, just UGH :( Glad about what your glad about. Although, I really wish the origin of Sophie was not so melodramatic. They could have made Sophie just be from childhood, and not about Kate's issues.

3 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Im not even five minutes into Riverdale and I've already decided it's a cross between Gossip Girl Dawson's Creek and Grease. 

Toss in Pretty Little Liars to the description by the end.  

Not sure how many HTGAWM fans there are on this board. Can I definitely say that they made the right choice and killed the right person? And I HATE saying that because I love WES and he was my favorite character on the show. But last night's winter premiere proved that by killing Wes, I am actually invested in this whole mystery of solving who did it and why. It completely took my previous investment in the show and doubled down on it. If they had killed anyone else, I probably would have not have been as invested. Last season, they didn't have as interesting of a mystery to solve, so I found my interest wavering at points. But this season, I demand justice for Wes. It's refreshing to actually hate a TV decision, but agree that it was a strategic move in the right direction for the show. Usually if I hate a decision, it's because it was a wrong move.

However, I'm petrified that by the end of the season, the show will have found itself in a irredeemable rut. Because honestly, I'm not sure I care as much about the other characters as I do Wes. And part of me wonders if this was all intentional to either send the show out on a bang or somehow reinvent it. By killing Wes, they are closing off the original drama/mystery that started the whole show. Once Wes's killer is caught they have the opportunity to bring in a new crew or completely change the show. Redeem Annaliese and start over, perhaps in a new place. As for the others, it's been 3 years, they should have their law degrees by now and frankly they should want to move on since nothing good has happened after being handpicked for HTGAWM's Keating 5.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Toss in Pretty Little Liars to the description by the end.  

It's the kind of show you can't take seriously but I enjoyed it. It felt old school CW/WB. The only thing I Would say is I shallowly enjoyed it as in aethsteically it was enjoyable but I'm not sure that Im really invested in any characters or anything that's happening as yet. 

Does that make sense? Haha

• Love 1

Removed many politics posts. Think of this thread as chocolate and politics as peanut butter. If I see a Reese's cup in here, it will kill the entire thread. 

So please keep this a politics free zone.

• Love 2

Question: I used to skin the TVD forum and people did not seem to like Elena at all. 

So did the people who ship D/E like her? 

Did she have a devoted fanbase of people who LOVED Elena like most of us love Felicity elsewhere?

Very curious about it! Burning question in life and all! 

Oh Amazon Prime, thank you for having all 4 Indiana Jones movies, the Young Indiana Jones, a season of Unsolved Mysteries hosted by Robert Stack, and a few of the Farina seasons (not as good as Stack's, but more cases and some rare ones) on the free for Prime members streaming service.

• Love 2

CW President Mark Pedowitz participated in this Q&A session...

28 TV Chiefs Reveal Their Most-Wanted Stars [Deleted]
Lesley Goldberg   Jan. 27, 2017
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/28-tv-chiefs-reveal-wanted-stars-how-trump-will-influence-shows-968616/item/talent-who-isnt-tv-but-should-be-is-tv-exec-survey-2017-968666

My most Red State program is…
PEDOWITZ Supernatural
And the one [thing about the TV season so far] that has you most fearful?
PEDOWITZ It's hard to get heard when you're pushing close to 500 scripted series. You have to have a lot of patience.
I'm sick of talking about...
PEDOWITZ Nielsen. Just do the job.

For those of you who are still traumatized by Arrow's use of Drummer Boy in 409. I recommend TWW's use of it in their holiday episode s1. Still sad, but far more inspirational. I choose this version of Lil Drummer Boy.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

TWW really was the best fantasy.

I remember how shocked I was when I learned in a psychology class that 1/3 to 1/4 of the homeless men in the U.S. were Viet Nam War vets.  (This was a few years ago, it's a different war now.)  We pay lip service but we don't take enough care of our wounded.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

TWW really was the best fantasy.

I remember how shocked I was when I learned in a psychology class that 1/3 to 1/4 of the homeless men in the U.S. were Viet Nam War vets.  (This was a few years ago, it's a different war now.)  We pay lip service but we don't take enough care of our wounded.

You mean like the shockingly high number of times soldiers with PTSD act out while in the army and thus get dishonorably discharged so they don't qualify for help with their PTSD anymore?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

So, just in case anyone is in need of a dose of cute today, I offer the following:

Zoos Get Into Brutal #CuteAnimalTweetOff Battle, And It’s Exactly What The Internet Needed

This pic reminded me of an amazing movie I once saw, called Two Brothers (watch trailer), about two twin tiger cubs who are separated. One is sold to a circus and turned into a killer, while the other becomes the pampered pet of a governor's son. They grow up and circumstances reunite them in an arena to fight each other. The movie packed more emotion than this entire season of Arrow so far...

cute-zoo-animal-tweet-off-16.jpg

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Haha

I took lessons in Japanese and Italian in high school where the only thing Ive  remembered is how to say "my name is" in Italian and count to five in Japanese.

Then I had to take Beginners French as part of my university course requirements and after I realised everyone in my "beginners" French class already spoke fluent French and I was the only idiot who couldn't speak a word I spent the year mainly reading magazines in the back of class while my tutor wasn't watching I'm ashamed to admit. 

For real, I honestly admire people who are multilingual. 

As a language instructor, I absolutely hate those situations because they not only force a beginners' course to become something else, but they also result in what happened to you. Real beginners, who are actually in the right place feel ashamed, less than and unmotivated, while others feel too confident. 

Who's to say, you may have ended up not having any proclivity for languages, but the fact is, you weren't given a chance to find out.

• Love 6

That class was a joke, but to be partially fair to the university, the students signed up for that class when intermediate and advanced French was also an option. They were probably just looking for an easy pass.

I just remember the first day of class everyone had to introduce themselves and say what they know about the French Language and it was all "Hi I'm Fred I studied French all through High School" "Hi I'm Julie I spent a year in France on student exchange" "Hi my names Mary, my mother and her family are French" "Hi I'm Peter, I've travelled to France four times ..."

So of course by like the third week the class had moved beyond the baby stuff and my tutor insisted that classes be spoken in majority French and I couldn't keep up.

But it's not all woe is me, I made my first university friend through that class cause she also couldn't speak a word so we just shared lollies and magazines in the back of class.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, LeighAn said:

But it's not all woe is me, I made my first university friend through that class cause she also couldn't speak a word so we just shared lollies and magazines in the back of class.

That part is nice. :)

The motivation for those other people being there is crystal clear, but I still think someone (starting with the tutor) should have informed them they were in the wrong class. As you yourself described, it turned into everything except for a beginners' class. But this is a professional gripe of mine, so I'm just gonna let it go.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, bijoux said:

That part is nice. :)

The motivation for those other people being there is crystal clear, but I still think someone (starting with the tutor) should have informed them they were in the wrong class. As you yourself described, it turned into everything except for a beginners' class. But this is a professional gripe of mine, so I'm just gonna let it go.

The fluent ones should not have been the ones getting the attention. The class should have stuck to what it was supposed to be.  The basic unfairness irks me.

• Love 5