Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

(edited)
8 minutes ago, looptab said:

What is it about 5 you guys don't like? Honest question, I'm curious :)

Extra emo teenage angst capslocking protagonist. In the immortal words of my friend T. after she finished the book, "they turned Harry into Dawson."

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, dtissagirl said:

Extra emo teenage angst capslocking protagonist.

Hee. Do I lose points if I say that Harry was probably my least favorite character?

6 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

2 things (for me) Harry being an absolute prat for 90% of the book and Siris dying. 

Yeah, I get it. I hated that too. :/

11 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

2 things (for me) Harry being an absolute prat for 90% of the book and Siris dying. 

The series lost it's magic for me when they killed Sirius, I finished it but never really enjoyed it as much anymore.

(edited)

4 > 1 > 3 > 7 > 6 > 2 > 5

For me it was Emo Harry and Sirius dying. I couldn't stand Harry in that book. It was the one book that I had trouble finishing. 

Edited by Sakura12

It was just... so long and it didn't have to be? I don't mind emo Harry, because Voldermort was back so he did have a pretty good reason, and it was fine after Ginny snapped him out of it (AKA why I love her), but I feel like most of it was filler and not even the fun interesting kind

• Love 2

I'm having problems with this site today.  Every page that has that "Kraft Recipes Maker" ad keeps defaulting to that ad, making it nearly impossible to scroll up or down that page. I've reported it a few times.

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, kismet said:

As for why 6 is so low, perhaps it was the Weasley connection? I feel like 2 & 6 were very Weasley heavy. Whereas 4 & 3, I felt were more about Sirius or at Weasley neutral. So them falling at your bottom might be explained that way. My sister loved Sirius, and never understood why I his novels fell so low in my ranking. IDK, but I never really cared for him as much as other people did. It was sad when he died, but personally I always thought he was a bad influence for HP and he was way too obsessed with James and he confused HP for James way too many times. 

Yeah,  I'm pretty sure that's exactly the difference between our lists.   I'm a huge Sirius fan, I love everything to do with the Marauders in general.  I'm also admittedly a piece of WolfStar shipping trash so I'm more inclined to like anything with Sirius and Remus.

I'm also not a huge fan of Ginny until later in the series and she never became one of my favourite characters.   I love the Weasley's, especially the twins, which is possibly why I have book 5 higher on my lists than most people. 

And since I was an emo teen myself while reading book 5 Harry's problems didn't bother me as much, plus I feel like he had some valid points to some of his anger. 

1 hour ago, dtissagirl said:

I do like that after Harry got over the emo phase of doom, he got a really funny sense of humor in book 6.

Sassy, sarcastic Harry is the best Harry there is. 

I'm interested in knowing what exactly was up with the Deathly Hollows that we all seem to be placing it smack dab in the middle.  Lack of Hogwarts?  Or just a lack of other characters in general? 

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, tv echo said:

I'm having problems with this site today.  Every page that has that "Kraft Recipes Maker" ad keeps defaulting to that ad, making it nearly impossible to scroll up or down that page. I've reported it a few times.

I was having that problem earlier and I used the little flag to report the ad. Try doing that, if you want to. I had to turn my adblocker back on in order to use the site.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 10:48 AM, EmeraldArcher said:

Wow!  That definitely is not the same Harry Potter-themed wedding my son went to!  Theirs was very low key on a shoestring budget, but awesome nonetheless.

I would have loved to go to (or have) the wedding from that article though!  That's amazing. 

The venue looked spendy but apparently the bride and groom made all the Harry Potter decorations themselves.

3 hours ago, tv echo said:

It's driving me nuts today.

2 hours ago, wonderwall said:

Oh noooooo Jon Snow. Noooo

Kit Harington claims sexism against male actors in Hollywood needs to be recognised
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/kit-harington-claims-sexism-against-male-actors-in-hollywood-needs-to-be-recognised-a7056151.html

What he's describing is IMO not so much sexism as being treated as a piece of meat. Not the same thing

28 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Agreed, it's not sexism but, i have no doubt men get objectified as much in Hollywood as women do. 

? I'm not saying they aren't objectified. All actors, male and female are objectified to some degree or another by the camera, the directors, casting people and fans. I mean we all do it here about Amell's abs and Ramsey's guns etc etc.

3 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

? I'm not saying they aren't objectified. All actors, male and female are objectified to some degree or another by the camera, the directors, casting people and fans. I mean we all do it here about Amell's abs and Ramsey's guns etc etc.

I'm agreeing with you 

46 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Agreed, it's not sexism but, i have no doubt men get objectified as much in Hollywood as women do. 

I'd quibble with the "as much" qualifier, but both genders are objectified, certainly.  It is still much easier for "unattractive" male actors to find work (or even headline) than it is for females.  And THAT is where objectification and sexism intersect.

I do think Kit has a bit of a rep for shallow thought and fine abs.  He no doubt faces more objectification than Peter Dinklage, for example.  However, let's count the number of GoT stars who get glam photo shoots.  Practically 100% of the women, and I'm sure less than half the men.  Now count the female T&A on the actual show vs the male.  Each is objectified, and Kit likely bares the brunt of the male share, but there is still imbalance.  You know nothing Jon Snow.

• Love 10

Is this because they won't let him cut his hair? :)

I do think he meant objectification. I do think he's a pretty face, but I also think he is a decent actor. I wonder though if he is not being offered roles besides pretty face roles. Maybe he just needs to get a better agent? Or maybe he needs to play against his natural good looks, like many pretty actors (M&F) do. Find a role that doesn't focus on his looks.

His rep of being a "pretty boy" certainly doesn't help his claim. I watched one of the commentaries and that's all Maisie and others talked about for a few good minutes, I'm not even sure he was in that episode or if so had a smaller role. So either he is a victim of objectification or maybe it's just part of his insecurities that people only want him for his good looks.

• Love 1

Just finished binging s1 of 12 Monkeys... it's really good, totally not what I was expecting. Looking fwd to catching up on s2, now that I got around to s1. Also it seems like it was the hang out for former Nikita stars. Every time, I turned around there was another one, besides the 3 leads all having Nikita connections. Or maybe I'm just getting more familiar with the Toronto acting scene.

Also, another mind-blowing take on time travel. I'm so glad I don't try to think that hard about how time travel works because it would drive me crazy to watch it executed so differently across entertainment platforms. It's best to just sit back and enjoy, otherwise you'd go crazy trying to figure out all the rules.

• Love 3

These two articles go together. Really interesting thoughts on the current massive amount of TV deaths, with quotes from a bunch of killer-happy showrunners in the second piece:

All the TV character deaths of 2015-'16, in one chart*
by Caroline Framke, Javier Zarracina and Sarah Frostenson on June 1, 2016, 9:10 a.m. ET
http://www.vox.com/a/tv-deaths-lgbt-diversity

TV is killing off so many characters that death is losing its punch
Game of Thrones' Ned Stark changed TV — but too many shows took the wrong lessons from his death.
by Todd VanDerWerff on June 1, 2016
http://www.vox.com/2016/6/1/11669730/tv-deaths-character-best

* The only show that killed more recurring/regular characters than Arrow this season was Scream Queens. o_O

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, kismet said:

Just finished binging s1 of 12 Monkeys... it's really good, totally not what I was expecting. Looking fwd to catching up on s2, now that I got around to s1. Also it seems like it was the hang out for former Nikita stars. Every time, I turned around there was another one, besides the 3 leads all having Nikita connections. Or maybe I'm just getting more familiar with the Toronto acting scene.

Also, another mind-blowing take on time travel. I'm so glad I don't try to think that hard about how time travel works because it would drive me crazy to watch it executed so differently across entertainment platforms. It's best to just sit back and enjoy, otherwise you'd go crazy trying to figure out all the rules.

I love 12 Monkeys! And s2 has been great and fast-paced so far, even though 202 felt like a better premiere episode than 201 did imo, so I'm sure you'll like it. If you need any more encouragement, here's a little tease: Cassie and Jennifer road trip. It's one of my favorite episodes of the season.

The show's take on time travel sadly ruins pretty much any other modern story attempt at time travel for me, especially the Flash's. The way that they're able to create a complex take on time travel while still creating deep characters is just amazing to me, and I can never stop gushing about it to my friends.

• Love 4

I think s1 is much better than s2, personally. I just can't connect with anything going on, the show is not grounded anymore. I still care about Cole/Cassie and Deacon has surprisingly grown on me, but other than that... yawn. And it's probably going to be canceled after the season anyway :/

I don't really think their time travel logic is that developed either. Well, better than The Flash, but it's hard to be worse than The Flash. Even LoT doesn't have time remnants, at least.

(edited)

Does the premise of this new NBC show sound familiar? A hand-picked group must travel through time to stop a criminal mastermind...

NBC Orders Drama Series ‘Timeless’ from Eric Kripke and Shawn Ryan
Elizabeth Wagmeister  MAY 13, 2016 | 02:30PM PT
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/timeless-series-order-nbc-eric-kripke-shawn-ryan-matt-lanter-1201774214/

In “Timeless,” a mysterious criminal steals a secret state-of-the-art time machine, intent on destroying America as we know it by changing the past. Our only hope is an unexpected team: a scientist, soldier and history professor who must use the machine’s prototype to travel back in time to critical events. While they must make every effort not to affect the past themselves, they must also stay one step ahead of this dangerous fugitive. NBC’s description of the show reads, “Can this handpicked team uncover the mystery behind it all and end his destruction before it’s too late?”

To be fair, there are no new ideas under the sun - just new or different ways of executing that idea - and the trailer does look intriguing:

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

It seems like time travel is the new thing right now.  I remember a season or so ago there were several different Oz-inspired shows (one of which was Emerald City, which still hasn't made it to air).  Now it's time travel.  There's two other time time travel shows that were picked up this year for midseason but I can't remember what they're called. 

TVLine is running a poll asking which new fall shows people are most interested in.  http://tvline.com/2016/06/02/fall-tv-preview-most-popular-new-shows/

Edited by Starfish35

Yeah, one is a comedy with Adam Pally and Leighton Meester [Making History], and the other is Kevin Williamson's Time After Time -- HG Wells comes to the future to hunt down his BFF Jack the Ripper.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm not sure ANY Oz-inspire show made it to air... Other than Once Upon A Time's Wicked Witch arc, which was pretty horrible.

Time travel is an old trope, in the past years, there have been a few shows about that even before this season, like that dud Terra Nova and then 12 Monkeys.

Edited by FurryFury
12 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Yeah, one is a comedy with Adam Pally and Leighton Meester [Making History], and the other is Kevin Williamson's Time After Time -- HG Wells comes to the future to hunt down his BFF Jack the Ripper.

i cant tell if that HG Wells show will be awesome or horribly bad.

(edited)
17 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Thanks. :)

@FurryFury, Yeah, there were a lot of Oz-inspired projects that season, but you're right - I'm not sure any of them actually made it to air.  

Time travel has been around a long time, but this season every broadcast network other than CBS is going to be airing a time travel show.  Making History is on Fox, Time After Time is ABC, Timeless is NBC, and of course the CW  has LoT.

Edited by Starfish35
clarifying who I was replying to.
Just now, Morrigan2575 said:

i cant tell if that HG Wells show will be awesome or horribly bad.

I'm super skeeved by Kevin Williamson's second show in a row about sexual predators/women-killers.

2 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I'm super skeeved by Kevin Williamson's second show in a row about sexual predators/women-killers.

Oh that's right, he did The Following! I hadn't made the connection.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

This is a really fantastic piece about  the current shitstorm over HydraCap, and the gender divide in fandom:

Why we're terrified of fanfiction
http://www.vox.com/2016/6/2/11531406/why-were-terrified-fanfiction-teen-girls

Some highlights:

So what’s so dangerous about fandom? Because it is considered dangerous. It’s considered so dangerous, in fact, that in the '90s, Scotland Yard developed a secret file on fans of shows like The X-Files and Star Trek to make sure they weren’t planning on pulling a Heaven’s Gate. Scotland Yard took the threat seriously: “What is of concern,” they wrote, “is the devotion certain groups and individuals ascribe to the contents of these programmes. … The problem is that growing numbers are not treating this as entertainment, and finding it impossible to divorce fantasy from reality.”

But surely fewer sci-fi fandoms have begat dangerous cults than, say, sports games have led to dangerous riots? Yet if any police force has a stash of secret files on sports fans, they’re keeping it a very closely guarded secret. No one is writing tittering, vaguely disgusted anthropological examinations of sports fandom.

Of course, sports fandom is masculine. It’s overwhelmingly male-dominated, it’s macho, it’s something we as a culture have decided is “manly.” (This designation erases the many very real women who are into sports, but it remains our cultural image of sports fandom.) Media fandom’s image is, if not feminine, at the very least a hell of a lot less masculine than sports fandom — and that makes it weird. And fanfiction is not only “unmasculine” but actively feminine, designed for women rather than men — and that makes it gross and dangerous.

To some, feminine media has always been considered gross and dangerous, going back as far the novel. In 1864, an anonymous pastor pronounced it the greatest threat in the world to young women:

I have seen a young lady with her table loaded with volumes loaded of fictitious trash, poring day after day and night after night over highly wrought scenes and skillfully portrayed pictures of romance, until her cheeks grew pale, her eyes became wild and reckless, and her mind wandered and was lost — the light of intelligence passed behind a cloud, and her soul was forever benighted. She was insane, incurably insane from reading novels.

The pastor’s moralizing disgust for novel readers is identical to the disgust we see directed today at young women who read and write fanfiction.

To sum up, eww, girls like it!  It must be wrong!!

• Love 6
Just now, BkWurm1 said:

To sum up, eww, girls like it!  It must be wrong!!

Something that we see a lot in the Arrow fandom are people (some men, and yes, some women) saying shippers/Felicity fans are a bunch of "middle aged moms who want to live their fantasies vicariously through Felicity" or "whiny teenage girls on tumbr" or "fangirls"... 

It's a shame to see people thinking that being a woman (of whatever age/shape/color/etc) is an insult... As if being a fangirl or a middle aged mom is the worst thing one can be... smh And not only that, but we're also the source of blame for almost everything, thus the term 'fanservice' and people saying that Arrow was ruined because of the "tumblr fangirls"... 

It's sad. And definitely doesn't only happen in the Arrow fandom :/

• Love 13

Over on that site that shall not be named, I've dared to suggest that there is a sexist slant on some of this stuff and boy howdy did that turn ugly fast.  Denial runs deep.

• Love 2
Just now, BkWurm1 said:

Over on that site that shall not be named, I've dared to suggest that there is a sexist slant on some of this stuff and boy howdy did that turn ugly fast.  Denial runs deep.

It says A LOT that Felicity got most of the hate when she broke up with Oliver with what went down with the kid...

We must protect the white male lead characters at all cost!

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Something that we see a lot in the Arrow fandom are people (some men, and yes, some women) saying shippers/Felicity fans are a bunch of "middle aged moms who want to live their fantasies vicariously through Felicity" or "whiny teenage girls on tumbr" or "fangirls"... 

It's a shame to see people thinking that being a woman (of whatever age/shape/color/etc) is an insult... As if being a fangirl or a middle aged mom is the worst thing one can be... smh And not only that, but we're also the source of blame for almost everything, thus the term 'fanservice' and people saying that Arrow was ruined because of the "tumblr fangirls"... 

It's sad. And definitely doesn't only happen in the Arrow fandom :/

I like that geek culture is coming into its own, but there is a discomfort over "girl geek" culture.  I don't think people realize that girl geek culture has been there all along, but more deeply hidden.  I do think some women have been afraid of harassment and ridicule, but I also wonder if the fact that women were working in transformative works, borrowing copyright and therefore trying to stay under the radar, that made it even more hidden.  I remember reading some fanfiction when Buffy was around where the disclaimers were longer than the fic itself.

I also find their slash fiction freakout adorable.  I sometimes wonder if there is so much slash fic because for so long women were often one dimensional love interests, and so woman would pair up two men, simply because they were fuller characters--Sharon Carter doesn't have the backstory of Bucky.  Alternatively, it could be because it was hot. ;-)

• Love 4
(edited)

Social media is changing fandom the exact same way it's changing real life: social issues, privilege, all of the -isms that for decades ran amok without marginalized folk being able to speak out against them are suddenly given a platform not only to have a voice, but to share experiences with others. And the mostly white mostly male mostly cis-het powerful folk cannot accept it.

It trickles down to entertainment, wherein almost everything produced for mass consumption is made by white het bros, to an audience of white het bros, and is covered by a mostly white het bro media. 

And then it trickles down to fandom. Before social media, fandom used to find its own secluded spaces. It self-governed itself in many different ways, but one of the major things was -- women, queer folk, POC tended to keep their distance from white het bro fandom spaces. Social media erased that divide, and just like in real life, the white het bros don't know how to deal with a sudden surge of *differences*.

And particularly for comic books/superheroes -- the majority of those creators grew up in white bro fandom, sneering at fanfic and female fandom. The majority of journalists covering superheroes and comic books also grew up in white bro fandom. They have always assumed the medium was "theirs", because anyone they considered "other" was secluded before. And now they aren't.

We're probably living some revolutionary shit right now, tbh. There's no going back.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 16
5 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

And particularly for comic books/superheroes -- the majority of those creators grew up in white bro fandom, sneering at fanfic and female fandom. The majority of journalists covering superheroes and comic books also grew up in white bro fandom. They have always assumed the medium was "theirs", because anyone they considered "other" was secluded before. And now they aren't.

We're probably living some revolutionary shit right now, tbh. There's no going back.

Every so often I see a journalist or critic obliquely make reference to slash or fanfic in a positive way, and I want to give them a little high five.  Usually these writers are women. 

I'm not trying to fantalk here, but I do feel like Arrow is where we're seeing one of the first hardcore fangirl versus hardcore fanboy clashes. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

Every so often I see a journalist or critic obliquely make reference to slash or fanfic in a positive way, and I want to give them a little high five.  Usually these writers are women. 

I'm not trying to fantalk here, but I do feel like Arrow is where we're seeing one of the first hardcore fangirl versus hardcore fanboy clashes. 

I agree. I think it's because Felicity represents a victory to female fandom that's pretty unheard of in media that's assumed "masculine".

• Love 14