Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished watching Death at a Funeral (2007) and it is hilarious. It's not highbrow by any means, but it's not stupid either and I laughed straight through it.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I just finished watching Death at a Funeral (2007) and it is hilarious. It's not highbrow by any means, but it's not stupid either and I laughed straight through it.

I loved the 2007 version, the 2010 Chris Rock version was OK but, not as good, IMO.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, bijoux said:

I haven't seen the 2010 one but it seems like the completely same script with a different cast, save for Peter Dinklage. 

I noticed Hollywood does that a lot when they adapt popular British  European or Australian tv shows for example. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, MaisyDaisy said:

Yeah I am currently sweating it out in Queensland.

My child will only holiday in Queensland. All parts of it! But only Queensland!

We are asian so I ask him if he'd like to visit the motherland sometime

"Oh no Mummy, let's just go to Cairns so I can dig on the beach."

Showed him pictures of Hawaii

"Looks just like Hamilton Island, why don't we go to Hamilton Island instead?"

5 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

My child will only holiday in Queensland. All parts of it! But only Queensland!

We are asian so I ask him if he'd like to visit the motherland sometime

"Oh no Mummy, let's just go to Cairns so I can dig on the beach."

Showed him pictures of Hawaii

"Looks just like Hamilton Island, why don't we go to Hamilton Island instead?"

I am at the Noosa end of the Sunshine Coast, and we usually just stay local for holidays, it's so beautiful here and do much to do because it's a tourist destination. 

My daughter has left the state to visit NZ and NSW, but only in summer, so she has no real concept of winter, because we don't really get one here in the sub tropics. It blew her mind when I told her that sometimes rain can be cold in other places, because she has only really known warm rain.

your son has good taste :) although I haven't been to Asia and would love to go.

27 minutes ago, MaisyDaisy said:

I am at the Noosa end of the Sunshine Coast, and we usually just stay local for holidays, it's so beautiful here and do much to do because it's a tourist destination. 

We were there in Jan! We drove from Twin Waters for a day trip because I wanted to eat at Sails Restaurant (omg the food was divine, soooo yummy. I could have wiped out the entire menu) and the preschooler wanted to play on the beach!

The beach was AMAZING. Crystal clear (honestly it impressed me more than Whitehaven). We're definitely coming back next year and staying right at Noosa!

Haha sorry peeps! A bit of Aussie bonding! You should all go to Queensland if you come to Australia!!!!!! 

• Love 2

@MaisyDaisy and @Mellowyellow, it's funny, I've got three Australians that work in my office. One of them, after moving here (and having absolutely no allergies in the homeland) has discovered that he is very allergic to oak tree pollen -- which is very high this time of year because the oak trees are having sex all over the place in the spring. If there is a green film of dust on the car in the morning, he says he wants to claw his eyeballs out and I know I'm in for a day of listening to him hacking and snorting.

• Love 1
On 3/5/2017 at 5:34 AM, Mellowyellow said:

@MaisyDaisy omg I just noticed our icons for this forum are both daisies except yours is real and mine is made of diamonds  (I do love a fancy yellow diamond).

I noticed that awhile back... It really does mess with my head sometimes. It is kinda adorable & ironic since you both start with M's, rhyme and are Aussies. Both icons are lovely.

I did a study abroad in Wollongong, so I tend to pay attention to the Aussies (also you guys post sometimes when I'm on nights d/t the time difference). But I absolutely LOVE your country!! Kudos on be amazing! :)

• Love 1
On 3/5/2017 at 2:24 AM, MaisyDaisy said:

Ok @Mellowyellow, this is what happened re that certain blogger.

i don't know if you have a tumblr? There can sometimes be a real high school mean girls clique in the Olicity fandom there. There are a few blogs that have heaps of followers and I have seen people pushed out and attacked for simply disagreeing with a popular blog.

That particular person we are talking about has been jumping on other peoples meta/posts for a while now, being pretty passive aggressive, saying 'I am not trying to police fandom' then of course straight up policing fandom. She has posted stuff shaming people for being critical of Olicity (the direction/writing of) she made posts about people not being 'real' Olicity fans, the criteria of course being those not toeing the Olicity positivity line. One post likened people angry at the shows direction and questioning if Olicity will happen to being just as bad a LL stans.

Then she called out a particular blogger. That blogger called her out. People had been low down calling her out for a while, but it blew up, and the section of the fandom that had been the target of her ire responded. Unfortunately for her, she pissed of an intellectual part of the fandom. I don't think anyone was as rude as she had been, but they were very articulate.

She had been dishing it out for a while, but when it got returned, she made like she was a victim of a toxic fandom and flounced. All her followers then started posting shaming stuff about how horrible it all was, ignoring of course that she had instigated the whole thing.

I don't have a Tumblr but this sounds so much like somebody on Twitter that I wonder if it's the same person. Username starts with a C, ends with an F?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I don't have a Tumblr but this sounds so much like somebody on Twitter that I wonder if it's the same person. Username starts with a C, ends with an F?

Yes, it's the same person.

4 hours ago, Thundercatmary said:

I remember I got blocked by that JenBuffy chick on twitter cause I made a joke about their stupid wedding train thing. Talk about having a thin skin lol.

I got blocked by her when I said I had no faith the writers would pull off ... something I can't remember now, LOL!

34 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Yes, it's the same person.

So not surprised. 

Anyway, came across this on Twitter and I LOL'd so hard.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I don't get what the KP tweet is supposed to be about.

I think he's implying that SA's wife is pregnant. Some people think he's trolling...

Edited by Morrigan2575

Catching up on Riverdale.....seriously Archie is like a verbatim version of Dawson Leery....I dont care and I dont get why a girl like Veronica would be into him.

Love the pussy cats still and I felt sorry for Josie.

Betty continues to be awesome. But Im already feeling premptive sympathy for Jughead. I feel like hes going to get Tommy Merlyned in the love department eventually- stupid Archie.

I liked the Polly twist Im actually incluned to believe the shady writing of the Cooper parents is a misdirect and that there version might be closer to the truth then Pollys.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, bijoux said:

I think I stumbled on the greatest thing on Tumblr, this person's Family Lore stories. They can very well all be made up, but she is hilarious, and if it's all made up, major kudos on the imagination.

That is hilarious.  And now I want a wolfdog.  I think.  The fishing for deer was even funnier.

• Love 1

The pregnant spouse tweet is unclear and so I don't know how good it is at trolling when taken without any context. Since I cant figure out who is pregnant, who is filming, and why it matters.

If its SA, congrats to them, he seems to want more children. If someone else, congrats to them.

• Love 1

Im 30 minutes into The People vs OJ Simpson and I already want to punch OJ in the face and feeling anger at knowing how this story ends. Female prosecutor is the highlight so far.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I took it as the pap implying Stephen's wife would show up unannounced today because of what's being supposedly filmed (if fandom is to be believed): Olicity sex *shrug*

Well that makes sense.

Spoiler

Sex scenes are part of the gig,

but I can imagine they must be a little awkward for the spouses and that only increases if one is pregnant.

I remember an interview with Galen Gering, the soap actor from Days and Passions, who would tell his wife when she might want to avoid watching an episode cuz there

Spoiler

would be a sex scene in it.

She didn't seem to mind it as part of his job, but she didn't want to watch it, which is reasonable. All things considered, I don't think if put in the spouse's position I would want to be on set for it. Nor would I really want to know just how filming went.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, LeighAn said:

Catching up on Riverdale.....seriously Archie is like a verbatim version of Dawson Leery....I dont care and I dont get why a girl like Veronica would be into him.

Love the pussy cats still and I felt sorry for Josie.

Betty continues to be awesome. But Im already feeling premptive sympathy for Jughead. I feel like hes going to get Tommy Merlyned in the love department eventually- stupid Archie.

I liked the Polly twist Im actually incluned to believe the shady writing of the Cooper parents is a misdirect and that there version might be closer to the truth then Pollys.

I don't think Jug will die at least, lol.  

I don't know about the Coopers.  All of the parents are being written as awful, even Archie's dad isn't completely immune, so I wouldn't be surprised if they really were completely in the wrong, though it also wouldn't surprise me if Polly had a bit of a break down after being locked up instead of getting to run off with with Jason.  I tend to believe that they were going to run off and try to be a family.  I'm sure they were naive on how hard it was going to be though.  

Nah he wont die but hes going to get screwed by the Betty/Archie/Veronica triangle. They wont side step that forever :( Unless Jughead becomes the new Pacey and Pacey/Joey situation.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Nah he wont die but hes going to get screwed by the Betty/Archie/Veronica triangle. They wont side step that forever :( Unless Jughead becomes the new Pacey and Pacey/Joey situation.

They said it in the first episode.  Betty and Archie are "endgame", lol.  

Just now, BkWurm1 said:

Well Im so far ambivalent on Betty/Jughead but I feel like he would probably be a better boyfriend to Betty then woe is me Archie who just does nothing for me right now. Hes so bland. 

Of course this is all depending on if they get another season anyway. 

By the way did the mental home throw you for a loop to-wasnt that a Smallville set?

Ok I was looking at Ken Pursuit's and Canadagraph's tweets because of stuff being discussed in the Spoilers thread.  But off-topic for Arrow, what is this about Lauren German forcing production of Lucifer to move to LA? Would an actress really have the power to do that if she wasn't the lead? (Or even if she was?)

17 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Well Im so far ambivalent on Betty/Jughead but I feel like he would probably be a better boyfriend to Betty then woe is me Archie who just does nothing for me right now. Hes so bland. 

Of course this is all depending on if they get another season anyway. 

By the way did the mental home throw you for a loop to-wasnt that a Smallville set?

I didn't recognize it.  What was it on Smallville.  

20 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Ok I was looking at Ken Pursuit's and Canadagraph's tweets because of stuff being discussed in the Spoilers thread.  But off-topic for Arrow, what is this about Lauren German forcing production of Lucifer to move to LA? Would an actress really have the power to do that if she wasn't the lead? (Or even if she was?)

I don't know about actresses, but I remember hearing back in the day that David Duchovny forced the production of The X-Files to move to LA after season 5.

3 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Granny Goodness school for Girls. It was in season 10 though-I cant remember if you said you watched that season or not?

Oh, ok.  I did watch it eventually but can't say I was paying close attention, lol.

58 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I don't know about the Coopers.  All of the parents are being written as awful,

Yes, but even though Betty's mom is horrible, Madchen Amick is thoroughly entertaining, so bring on the awfulness.

• Love 2

My one criticism of TPvOJ was that they were a little too Kardashian crazy, eps in the earlier episodes. Although it did fade out in later episodes, thank goodness. The spelling lesson was perhaps the worst waste of time.

I mean Rob Sr was an important part, played nicely by Schwimmer - but I really didn't need to see that much of the kids.

5 minutes ago, Thundercatmary said:

There is an ESPN series on OJ that goes all the way back to his high school years and follows all the way to his current conviction.  It's very good and I highly recommend it.

Is it different than the documentary they aired as part of their 30 on 30 series? I believe it was a 6 parter. That documentary just one an Oscar and it was amazing!! Highly recommend it.

I appreciate that the mini series is demostrating how it was probably the people involved in the case and their egoes on both sides that was to blame for the verdict as much as it was the racial card.

@Thundercatmary I watched that doco it was great. Although I got so angry in parts of it. 

42 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I don't know about actresses, but I remember hearing back in the day that David Duchovny forced the production of The X-Files to move to LA after season 5.

He totally did, but he had the star power to do so back then. The Lauren German thing sounds weird because I would not guess she had that kind of power.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LeighAn said:

I'm hoping Jughead does become the Pacey and we get another Pacey/Joey situation with him and Betty. Archie doesn't deserve Betty. Totally calling that the fuckboy will get jealous and get "feelings" after seeing her all coupley with Jughead. 

1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

Hoping that changes. Like they are endgame if the show only lasts this season. If Archie and Betty do hook up I hope it's without Betty cheating on Jughead if they become a couple with Archie. 

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

He totally did, but he had the star power to do so back then. The Lauren German thing sounds weird because I would not guess she had that kind of power.

That's what I was thinking (but said very poorly).  I really wouldn't have thought Lauren German would have the power to make that kind of demand.  It's not like she's a super well known name, or even the star of the show. 

16 hours ago, kariyaki said:

@MaisyDaisy and @Mellowyellow, it's funny, I've got three Australians that work in my office. One of them, after moving here (and having absolutely no allergies in the homeland) has discovered that he is very allergic to oak tree pollen -- which is very high this time of year because the oak trees are having sex all over the place in the spring. If there is a green film of dust on the car in the morning, he says he wants to claw his eyeballs out and I know I'm in for a day of listening to him hacking and snorting.

The same thing happened to me when I lived in America. I was living in the DC area, and had never ever experienced even mild hay fever before in my life, but for about 4 weeks, something that was flowering destroyed me. I was in shock how horrible it was.

Then I went on holiday in Maine and after eating copious amount of seafood my whole life, I discovered I am allergic to Lobster :( I was gutted, after my throat stopped swelling and I was no longer on the verge of passing out, I will be forever bummed out that I just can't eat all the Lobster.

4 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Is she now public enemy number 1, then, what with that being one less Vancouver based show for them to scout?