Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never shipped much really, but I was always a Willow/Xander shipper, up until the whole pesky lesbian thing put a stop that.

John and Aeryn will forever be my ship.

And I just marathoned the whole of The 100 in the last week, and JFC that's a body count, and also, Clexa 4EVA11!!11Elventyone!!

And bee tee dubs do you say The Hundred or The One Hundred? 

• Love 1

It is pronounced The Hundred, but like Carrie Ann my brain slips me up constantly to saying the one hundred. But at this point is basically like the fifteen.

Edited by Delphi

John and Aeryn were one of my fave couples.  Ben Browder and Claudia Black had insane chemistry.  

I shipped Klaus and Caroline...still do, actually.  I always got the impression that Joseph Morgan would have loved to see it happen, but Candice King seemed against it.  I might have continued watching The Originals if Candice King had moved over to that show, but instead we got Leah Pipes.  No thanks!   

I originally shipped Stiles and Lydia, but after years of nothing but small teases, I kind of lost interest and moved on to Lydia/Parrish.  Of course, now it looks like we might(?) get back to Stiles/Lydia, but I'm not sure I care anymore?

My Hundred ships didn't work out too well for me... 

• Love 1

Thanks for the Claudia Black reminder! 

I can't believe I forgot how hard I shipped Daniel Jackson and Vala Mal Doran over on Stargate SG1. There were multiple fan fics written and years after the show was canceled at a time I was totally broke I still scraped up $50 bucks for the continued audio adventures of Daniel and Vala through Big Finish productions.  Priorities!!!

I also for a time was obsessed with Sydney and Vaughn on Alias.  I still loved the characters on the show to the end but the behind the scenes crap kind of ruined them for me in the final season. 

If I go back to my first forever pairing on TV, that would be Laura Holt and Remington Steele on (you guessed it) Remington Steel.  I've enjoyed my life long "appreciation" of Pierce Brosnan.  I couldn't have been even eight when I first started obsessing. 

I have a loooong history with shipping.  I just didn't know anyone else also did until my early twenties, lol.  Fan fiction blew my mind. 

I'm curious, when did the rest of you find out about fan fiction? What was your reaction?

I feel like now it's kind of a shared known thing (like the sky is blue) but I know before I first stumbled on it I thought I was the only one that was imagining "fix its" to TV shows or the missing scenes I really wanted to see. (Let alone continued adventures after it went off the air)  I remember I was house sitting and they had INTERNET!!!  and so I searched Remington Steel and stumbled on not just pretty, pretty pictures but whole sites devoted to telling new stories!!  (I did not get much sleep that week) I told everyone I knew about this astonishing thing and no one I knew had ever heard of it either.  (Even thought FanFic.net probably already existed)  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

So, broke down and bought a new Acer Chromebook. I FRIGGING LOVE THIS THING. I mean my old one mostly still works and I dropped it on tile several times AND dumped water on it. This new one cost $180 and after signing in, almost everything transferred over...passwords, favorite sites, etc. Plus Chrome starts up in like five seconds.

LOVE IT!

• Love 3

So, broke down and bought a new Acer Chromebook. I FRIGGING LOVE THIS THING. I mean my old one mostly still works and I dropped it on tile several times AND dumped water on it. This new one cost $180 and after signing in, almost everything transferred over...passwords, favorite sites, etc. Plus Chrome starts up in like five seconds.

LOVE IT!

Nice! I have a Kindle Fire that I love. :)

Thanks for the Claudia Black reminder!

I can't believe I forgot how hard I shipped Daniel Jackson and Vala Mal Doran over on Stargate SG1. There were multiple fan fics written and years after the show was canceled at a time I was totally broke I still scraped up $50 bucks for the continued audio adventures of Daniel and Vala through Big Finish productions. Priorities!!!

I also for a time was obsessed with Sydney and Vaughn on Alias. I still loved the characters on the show to the end but the behind the scenes crap kind of ruined them for me in the final season.

If I go back to my first forever pairing on TV, that would be Laura Holt and Remington Steele on (you guessed it) Remington Steel. I've enjoyed my life long "appreciation" of Pierce Brosnan. I couldn't have been even eight when I first started obsessing.

I have a loooong history with shipping. I just didn't know anyone else also did until my early twenties, lol. Fan fiction blew my mind.

I'm curious, when did the rest of you find out about fan fiction? What was your reaction?

I feel like now it's kind of a shared known thing (like the sky is blue) but I know before I first stumbled on it I thought I was the only one that was imagining "fix its" to TV shows or the missing scenes I really wanted to see. (Let alone continued adventures after it went off the air) I remember I was house sitting and they had INTERNET!!! and so I searched Remington Steel and stumbled on not just pretty, pretty pictures but whole sites devoted to telling new stories!! (I did not get much sleep that week) I told everyone I knew about this astonishing thing and no one I knew had ever heard of it either. (Even thought FanFic.net probably already existed)

I started reading fanfic when I was watching The X-Files in the 90's. This was before FFN A03 etc, wild times! ;)

Edited by Thundercatmary
  • Love 1

LOVE IT!

Can you load any other browser on to it? Or is just like locked out from that?

OMG that zombie joke is the meanest thing I have ever seen. That poor girl.  And also funny

Edited by catrox14
I'm curious, when did the rest of you find out about fan fiction? What was your reaction?

I feel like now it's kind of a shared known thing (like the sky is blue) but I know before I first stumbled on it I thought I was the only one that was imagining "fix its" to TV shows or the missing scenes I really wanted to see. (Let alone continued adventures after it went off the air) I remember I was house sitting and they had INTERNET!!! and so I searched Remington Steel and stumbled on not just pretty, pretty pictures but whole sites devoted to telling new stories!! (I did not get much sleep that week) I told everyone I knew about this astonishing thing and no one I knew had ever heard of it either. (Even thought FanFic.net probably already existed)

I got into fanfiction when Buffy was on. So I'd say around 1999/2000. I was looking for a place to discuss tv shows and stumbled across Mighty Big TV which later became TWOP. I was introduced to fanfiction through them. I also thought it was great to find out that other people imagined tv shows/movies continuing in their heads and that I wasn't crazy. Lol. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

Speaking of Buffy..watching Jeopardy tonight and they had a category about Movies turned into TV Shows. Would you believe Buffy was NOT one of the clues/answers?

I was kind of surprised, thought for sure it would be.

Instead they had Limitless, Minority Report, Friday Night Lights, an Animal House TV Show and Bates Motel

I get that Buffy is (comparatively) old but come on Delta House over Buffy?!

• Love 1

I started reading fanfic when I was watching The X-Files in the 90's. This was before FFN A03 etc, wild times! ;)

Me too! The crazy early days of the Internet, with newsgroups, and fanfic scattered all over because every show had their own archive. And some 'ships had their own collections.

• Love 1

I first checked out fanfic when I heard about Wincest on that episode of Supernatural. Nope.

What would be your worst series finale? I gotta say Sleepy Hollow has topped Battlestar Galactica for my first place winner. Third would be Farscape since I just loved John & Aeryn. I could not believe how that ended. So very cruel. Of course they made up for it with the mini series but at the time no one knew we would ever see the show again. As far as I knew it was over and I was devastated.

I don't know how to do the spoiler thing so someone else might have to share the dirty double crossing ending from Farscape.

Favorite would probably be Angel. Especially when he says he wants to slay the dragon. I got all choked up! I don't know why. I dread Supernatural ending. I love those boys. I'm gonna cry like a big ass baby.

Edited by Sasha

I first got into fanfic somewhere around 2000. Have read off and on in a lot of different fandoms since then. Arrow is probably the first fandom I've been heavily involved in that I'm not reading fanfic for.

Edited by Starfish35

I honestly didn't know there was such a thing as fandom until 2010... I started reading HP fanfics and slowly started to get into fandom. I read HP, Glee (I'm so not proud of this), Thor/Captain America fics before I started reading Arrow fics...

I really do wonder what my next fandom will be... IDK if I'll really be so involved with fandom like I am with Arrow after it ends, which is kind of depressing. 

• Love 1

Anyone watching Orphan Black? Seeing Beth's backstory makes me want to watch season 1 with that knowledge.

Also one more ship I forgot about since I was reminded from the LoT board. H.G. Wells/ Myka from Warehouse 13.

Edited by Sakura12

I always 'ship the same ship, and they're always Mulder and Scully. The too smart for her own good woman, and the stoic fool who's in love with her.

Oh goodness, Mulder was such a dummy. We complain about Oliver being dumb, but I'm pretty sure I'm so patient with him because M&S were my first 'ship and Mulder set the emotional dummy standard so high.

• Love 2

Oh goodness, Mulder was such a dummy. We complain about Oliver being dumb, but I'm pretty sure I'm so patient with him because M&S were my first 'ship and Mulder set the emotional dummy standard so high.

Haha, same. Actually, my list of beloved male characters is 100% fools. Emotionally stunted, hide feelings via sarcasm/snark, and always, ALWAYS dumbasses. Mulder. John Crichton. Jack O'Neill. Josh Lyman. Spike. Pacey Witter. Logan Echolls. Smallville Oliver Queen. Peter Quinn.

I never care for the cool guys, I only like the fools. It's probably why I didn't like Arrow Oliver until Felicity was in the Arrow cave. He was cool before her, and I like him better fool.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 1

I first checked out fanfic when I heard about Wincest on that episode of Supernatural. Nope.

What would be your worst series finale? I gotta say Sleepy Hollow has topped Battlestar Galactica for my first place winner. Third would be Farscape since I just loved John & Aeryn. I could not believe how that ended. So very cruel. Of course they made up for it with the mini series but at the time no one knew we would ever see the show again. As far as I knew it was over and I was devastated.

I don't know how to do the spoiler thing so someone else might have to share the dirty double crossing ending from Farscape.

Favorite would probably be Angel. Especially when he says he wants to slay the dragon. I got all choked up! I don't know why. I dread Supernatural ending. I love those boys. I'm gonna cry like a big ass baby.

I loved the BSG finale..because I ignore the Coda  LOL For me it ended perfectly with Adama sitting on the spot where he was going to build the house with President Airlock Roslin.

"I know a little about farming"- damn you James Callis (BALTAR LOVED HIM) I'm not crying, YOU'RE CRYING.  I'm still pissed that Netflix dumped it . I love that show so damn much.  

Angel is my favorite finale for all time. So totally satisfying.  Loved Six Feet Under.  I loved the LOST finale too.

Dexter was the worst finale until SH pulled their shit. SH broke my heart and ruined their own fucking show. I love Tom MIson but I'm so pissed off. GAH!!! 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

I honestly didn't know there was such a thing as fandom until 2010... I started reading HP fanfics and slowly started to get into fandom. I read HP, Glee (I'm so not proud of this), Thor/Captain America fics before I started reading Arrow fics...

I really do wonder what my next fandom will be... IDK if I'll really be so involved with fandom like I am with Arrow after it ends, which is kind of depressing. 

Arrow, Smallville, and Stargate toward the end.  Those are the only shows I've ever been lured into fandom and really Stargate it was only for fanfic.  After Smallville I couldn't imagine returning, but Arrow has me pretty hard. Because of that, while I again can't imagine another one coming along, I'll never say never.

• Love 1

Arrow, Smallville, and Stargate toward the end.  Those are the only shows I've ever been lured into fandom and really Stargate it was only for fanfic.  After Smallville I couldn't imagine returning, but Arrow has me pretty hard. Because of that, while I again can't imagine another one coming along, I'll never say never.

I guess I don't really know what it exactly means to be in FANDOM. Like I watched LOST loyally and BSG and talked about it on forums but I didn't really seek out all the deets on the actors and didn't seek spoilers. But I started to do that with Torchwood and then Arrow and now with SPN.   I'm SPN's bitch at this point. I watch con videos and all the spoilers and follow SPN shit on Tumblr. I swear to Gods I AM NOT a teenager....I'm old! LOL

• Love 1

I loved the BSG finale..because I ignore the Coda  LOL For me it ended perfectly with Adama sitting on the spot where he was going to build the house with Roslyn. "I know about farming"- I'm not crying, YOU'RE CRYING.  I'm still pissed that Netflix dumped it . I love that show so damn much. 

Angel is my favorite finale for all time. So totally satisfying.-

I can't say I loved the final for Angel since I'm against characters I like all dying but it was great television.  I only watched Angel in the final season and I bawled my eyes out during that episode. 

I'm with you on BSG.  There were aspects of it that were practically perfect and the other parts I just ignore.  There's a ship I found just about perfect.  Adama and Roslin.  I loved Helo and Athena and I was a frustrated Starbuck/Apollo shipper but Adama and Roslin was a thing of beauty.   

I did love Adama and Roslin! It's still one of my all time favorites shows. I completely blocked out Dexter. Catrox14, you are right Dexter should be right up there with Sleepy Hollow. Even if by some miracle they get a S4 it will really be S1 of some shit show. With Abbie gone Sleepy Hollow is over. Abby was the real hero and she didn't need super powers or a mask.

Edited by Sasha

BSG is one of those show which the ending makes me a little rage-y, not HIMYM rage-y, but will go into an unsolicited complaints about it if brought up in conversation (I'll spare you guys). Also I don't think I could watch it again

Dexter and Justified, Mad Men all had ending which I found pretty disappointing too.

Friday Night Lights, Parks & Recreations, The West Wing were all good endings for me (So glad Oliver and Felicity didn't get the Josh/Donna treatment of ship teasing for so long)

Farscape's mini-series. Veronica Mars movie & books make me grateful for fandom, which really helped support getting really good endings when the TV ending were so-so.

• Love 3

I guess I don't really know what it exactly means to be in FANDOM. Like I watched LOST loyally and BSG and talked about it on forums but I didn't really seek out all the deets on the actors and didn't seek spoilers. But I started to do that with Torchwood and then Arrow and now with SPN.   I'm SPN's bitch at this point. I watch con videos and all the spoilers and follow SPN shit on Tumblr. I swear to Gods I AM NOT a teenager....I'm old! LOL

I think to be in fandom probably technically only means to seek out other fans and participate somehow beyond watching it in isolation but yeah, I mean more reading the forums, commenting, knowing all the actor and showrunners's names and bio's, consuming fan works, perhaps creating some of it yourself. Casual viewers don't  IMO do that.  Still, there are different levels of fandom. 

With Flash and Supergirl I post every once and awhile about episodes, maybe read some comments but it's still very casual.  I don't bother seeking out spoilers.  For me the real tipping point is the inability to not be spoiled.  That's when I know I'm in DEEP when I'm stalking actors on Instagram hoping for clues and BTS pics.  Of course there are those that are super active and remain completely unspoiled so that's not a general definition, just my personal one.  Me constantly on the forum and pretty much reading every comment means I am down the rabbit hole. 

• Love 1

BSG is one of those show which the ending makes me a little rage-y, not HIMYM rage-y, but will go into an unsolicited complaints about it if brought up in conversation (I'll spare you guys). Also I don't think I could watch it again

Just out of curiosity is it that coda or just the whole thing in general. You don't have to give specifics LOL

The coda is super annoying, but I could see coming, however the more I thought about it the more frustrating it seemed.

By implying that Mitochondrial Eve was Hera, that means she would only live a short life and one of hardship and suffering. I say that because when they settled on New Caprica they struggled so much and that was with advanced science and technology, so I don't understand why they decided to forego go it all when they settled  on "Earth". Also why have cosmic Beings meddling in their affairs if it is all doomed to be repeated, makes everything futile IMO.

Also I felt very bad for Lee, left all alone.

Edited by Genki
  • Love 1

The first show I got really fannish about was Buffy, finding message Boards, reading analysis, and going to meet ups. I even won an online writing class with David Fury! I loved the first three seasons more than I've ever loved another show, but it really slumped towards the ending, and I've felt like the Arrow folks have set up a Spike situation with Malcolm where he has overstayed his welcome. I was surprised how much I came to love Angel, and if I have a ship in the Buffyverse it might be Angel/Cordelia.

I haven't gotten super-fannish since then, although I shipped Logan/Veronica, Lee/Kara, and John/Aeryn. Oddly enough, the only fandom I read fanfic heavily in was for a show I didn't like very much, Stargate Atlantis, but the fandom was like a perfect storm of every excellent fanfic writer at the time. Arrow is the first fandom to match my Buffy level intensity of fannishness which you all know since I'm HERE.

I'm still pissed off about the BSG finale, although I had started to get annoyed once they made Kara an angel? Who knows what that was.

• Love 1

I'm still pissed off about the BSG finale, although I had started to get annoyed once they made Kara an angel? Who knows what that was.

This is where I started to get really annoyed with BSG. I adored Kara and they just continually messed around with her character. I mean the death was just for shock value, then they had to figure out a way to write themselves out of that corner. I remember way back in the day Ron Moore saying they used to push her character as far as they could and see if the fans would stick with her, or something along those lines. Also didn't like how they treated her and Lee, especially that ending. Anyway's I could go on and on but I won't lol.

Edited by Thundercatmary
  • Love 5

The coda is super annoying, but I could see coming, however the more I thought about it the more frustrating it seemed.

By implying that Mitochondrial Eve was Hera, that means she would only live a short life and one of hardship and suffering. I say that because when they settled on New Caprica they struggled so much and that was with advanced science and technology, so I don't understand why they decided to forego go it all when they settled  on "Earth". Also why have cosmic Beings meddling in their affairs if it is all doomed to be repeated, makes everything futile IMO.

Also I felt very bad for Lee, left all alone.

Yeah, lol, that all falls under things I ignore. 

• Love 2

I only sorta shipped Kara/Lee and part of it was because they made them so awful to their other partners that I ended up liking their SOs more, and liking them less, if that makes sense. #JusticeForAndersAndDualla basically. My biggest BSG ships were Helo/Athena and Roslin/Adama, and Callie/Airlock. ;)

• Love 3

I'm surprised and kinda annoyed so many people like Klaus/Caroline because I basically dropped the show because of them. God I hated Klaus the whiny pony artist, and I also hated Klaus the Villain Sue nobody could kill. And then they went and destroyed Caroline's character just for him. Of course, there were other reasons I stopped watching - the writing became pure shit after two seasons and Williamson leaving. I still remember Katherine fondly, though, she was a real BAMF. I love female characters like that.

BSG was the worst series finale for me, ever. It managed to make me truly hate the show and Ron Moore. I don't think I was ever as distraught as after that. I'd prefer they ended after s2, because after that, the magic was gone. (And really, making my ship behave like complete morons is far from the only issue I have with the BSG writing).

• Love 2

So I've never really got into fanfic. I guess I heard of it in the 1999 or so when I was on this buffy AOL email group but I never really enjoyed most of it except for a few. Instead I really got wrapped up in roleplaying in chatrooms which I got really invested in depending on the fandom.

And I honestly haven't been blown away by any series finales that I've seen. I think most of them were just okay. The exception might be Veronica Mars which I thought worked nicely. Or maybe Birds of Prey which managed to wrap up all the stories and bring the show some actual closure. Other than that my response is usually a 'meh'

What about books? I am desperate for some new authors. None of that 50 Shades of Grey nonsense! My sister-in-law eats that up and we just cannot be friends. It's a deal breaker for me. But not the usual suspects instead maybe someone you enjoy that might not be mainstream or well known.

I love just about everything Charlie Huston has written. I think he is considered pulp noir and/or horror. The Joe Pitt or Hank Thompson series are pretty damn good. Another one of my favorites is Christopher Moore. His earlier stuff is so off the wall crazy. Blood Sucking Fiends and Practical Demonkeeping were really terrific. I used to love Laurel K Hamilton but she did an Anne Rice and her stuff went totally off the rails. Or zombies. I love me some zombies but World War Z the book not the movie. A good apocalypse is always welcome!

Try Christopher Brookmyer. He's got quite the back catalogue, but Dead Girl Walking is kind of a reboot for his main character.

Thanks! Just requested three from my library with plenty more for later.

Just finished s5 of Games of Thrones and I have to admit that I'm not sure what is inspiring me to turn into s6. Between the not so looking good fates of Jon Snow, Daenrys and the oncoming onslaught living people by dead people it just doesn't seem that there is much to turn into. Also does anyone know what happened to Margaery? She's in the cell, but is she dead?

I was so pumped to binge GoT, but found myself just not as invested as I once was once it got underway.... perhaps its because too many of the characters I used to love are dead. At least I still have Tyrion.

Nah, Margaery's not dead. And Jon Snow will likely be back at some point, although who knows in what shape. (That's speculation, I'm not following spoilers).

I'm not that much into the show, but I've started following the books, like, almost 12 years ago, so at this point I just want to know how my faves (Dany, Arya, Jaime, Bran, Jon) end up (probably dead, but hey). And the show may be the only way to get at least some closure, even if chances are I'll hate it.

• Love 1

Honestly, I sort of relate to comics fanboys in regards to GoT. I've read all the books and honestly, I wasn't that sure I would watch the show, because it's one thing to read about gore and another to watch it in live action. I decided to give it a shot and it felt sort of weird, because something about the characters felt just a smidge off from what I imagined. And then came the (completely minor) scene which turned me off the show for good. It was Littlefinger confiding to a hooker. And oh. My. God. He's the wiliest slimey little shit in the seven kingdoms and you have him confiding to someone he can't trust (not that he trusts anyone) just so you can show some boobs?! When there are ample opportunities for nudity from the source material. I get that they were supposed to get his motivation across somehow, but have him confide in someone with their tongue cut out if you absolutely must. I felt like they completely went against his character with that and peaced out.

That said, the show is impossible to miss and I do know of some things, so I think they've made smart choices in other regards. Like giving Jayne Whatever's storyline to Sansa. That made sense. There was no place for her character on the show and she was basically SansaLite anyhow.

ETA: For the record, I don't go around annoying fans of the show. Not in real life and I certainly don't go out of my way to find them online. I sometimes comment on some developments with my friends who watch, but I see the show as their thing and the books as mine. They're like cousins, there are differences and similarities and that's fine.

Edited by bijoux
  • Love 1