Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Big names used to mean big draws, but that isn't the case anymore. I don't think these names can stay where they are and hope to keep their status. They have to branch out and be more creative. TV projects, Netflix, Hulu, etc..

• Love 1
(edited)

Off the top of my head, some movie stars who did/are doing Television in the past 2-3 years:

• Kevin Spacey
  • Matthew McC--- I don't know how to spell his name lol
  • Robin Williams
  • Martin Freeman
  • Anna Faris
  • Terrence Howard
  • Viola Davis
  • Don Cheadle
  • Kat Dennings (although her show is terrible)
  • Ashton Kutcher
  • Claire Danes
  • Rachel McAdams
  • Woody Harrelson
Edited by wonderwall
(edited)

Yeah, I meant to put movie in quotes but I didn't intend it to be read as ironic. More like highlighting a different category. Like "movie" stars vs "TV" stars when really they should just be Stars period. For so very long actors seemed really caught up in the distinction. Makes sense in the past when just the film quality to record something for television was appalling compared to on screen but I'm enjoying that the stigma of being a "TV" star is going away. Now a project is just a project and they can find both good and bad in either the movies or on TV.

I was just watching something about that. They were crediting Kevin Spacey for starting the trend of Movie Stars going to TV and how there used to be a stigma that TV was less than movies. Basically TV used to be a launching pad to movie stardom and going from Movie Star to TV meant you failed in the movies or towards the end of your career.

Kevin Spacey actually credited the audience. He saidthat TV is where the good scripts, stories are and that's why actors are interested/eager to take on TV roles.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

People are saying that it is one of the Golden Ages of Television. So many of the good characters & stories are to be found in TV and not necessarily movies anymore. I also think that the variety of shooting schedules of TV programming is also helping facilitate the flow from movies to tv and back again. More projects are having limited runs/engagements or are only # amount of episodes, so that helps stars pick a project for quality.

Being stuck in longer TV seasons can really limit an actors availability, but that seems to be less. I'm actually enjoying the way TV is trending away from the traditional Sept to May 22 episodes season. I like having the multiple seasons & shows that only have 13 or so episodes. It helps produce variety and keeps fresher stories on the air.

• Love 1

I was just watching something about that. They were crediting Kevin Spacey for starting the trend of Movie Stars going to TV

His turn hasn't hurt but Glen Close, Sigourney Weaver, Kira Sedgewick, Holly Hunter, Steve Buscemi, and Kevin Costner were already there before House of Card took off.

I wonder if the binge shows on Netflix have easier schedules to work around than something like Arrow. The hours the cast deals with can be crazy.  

• Love 4

So I was thinking about what it is that so bugged me about Stitchers.  I still think the lead actress is not great but really, the show isn't super terrible for what it is as long as you completely overlook everything they told you about the lead actress an her characterization in the first episode.  It was the constant contradiction of who we were told she was in comparison of how she actually reacts and behaves that was driving me insane.   It's still kind of crap television but now that I've gotten over expecting the lead following the rules they set up for her character in the pilot, I can enjoy it for it's more campy charms.  Half the draw is a character that pretty much has no reason to officially be a part of anything but she's kind of the only one with any charisma, lol, so she is always around, ready to toss in a quip or save the day, hey, whatever they need.  

At least there is only one more episode before the explosive summer finale.

• Love 1

Since it has come up again in a couple of areas, we want to remind you of this post from your prior mods, in the Notes from the Mods: Read Before Posting topic.  (Relevant portion quoted below).  It is still in effect, and will always in effect.

Talk about the show, not how great or not great fans' opinions of the show or various ships are. Period. End of thought. Stop harping on various fan groups. It's not on topic, it isn't relevant to the show. It's alienating other posters, it's rude.

Re: the movie stars going to tv discussion. I just binge watched the entirety of how to get away with murder for Viola Davis. ..or the gay stuff...can't remember. That show was so on point the entire way through and Viola killed every scene she was in. I'm actually currently more excited to see it next season more than any other show.

• Love 1

I really liked the structure of how they unfolded their season on How Do Get Away with Murder. It kept the level on tension high the whole season. I'm very curious if they can sustain another season like that.

I think they may be able to do it for another season but after that who knows?...

Veronica Mars first season was so epic because of the mystery of who killed Lilly and I feel like that is something you can only get once or twice because honestly these kids can't go around killing someone every season. I'm interested in seeing how it evolves though.

• Love 1

Upgraded my PC to a Windows 10. Took a lot longer than I expected, but went smoothly.

Downgraded it back to Windows 7 an hour later.

Horrible resolution and a strange horizontal stretch that no amount of tinkering could change. It was like looking at an old regular sized tv show stretched to fit the widescreen mode. I could make everything bigger or smaller but the stretch thing would not go away.

And "free" upgrade sounded so good. :(

• Love 2

And my dad was asking me about this yesterday.  I dissuaded him from it then, and just made him chuckle with your comments, only sealing his decision.  For him, keeping computer systems simple keeps me sane!  

• Love 1

I wait awhile before upgrading to a new OS, I wait for the all the kinks to be fixed after all the other people that get it complain about it. 

That's why I'm still using Windows 7.

• Love 1

I updated yesterday from Windows 8 and I'm about a thousand times happier with Windows 10 than 8. I liked 7, which I had on my old laptop, but 8 was horrible. The only issue I had is that I had to reset my touchpad settings, but otherwise, everything transferred properly. It's so much more functional and logically organized than 8. I'm sure I'll run into bugs too, but getting rid of that stupid, pointless homescreen thing is worth any other headaches.

• Love 1
(edited)

Not sure how I feel about this (almost sounds like a joke)...

The CW Is Developing a "Gritty" Adaptation of Little Women & We Are Both Excited and Scared
by LAUREN PIESTER Wed., Jul. 29, 2015 5:23 PM PDT
http://www.eonline.com/news/681499/the-cw-is-developing-a-gritty-adaptation-of-little-women-we-are-both-excited-and-scared

E! News has confirmed that the CW has a script in development that is described as a "hyper-stylized, gritty adaptation" of Louisa May Alcott's literary classic, Little Women.
The script, written by Alexis Jolly, follows "disparate half-sisters Jo, Meg, Beth, and Amy" as they "band together in order to survive the dystopic streets of Philadelphia and unravel a conspiracy that stretches far beyond anything they have ever imagined—all while trying not to kill each other in the process."
Even the executive producer is kind of a head-scratcher, since most people will know him better by the name of Tony DiNozzo from NCIS, aka Michael Weatherly.
Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Constance Zimmer from Unreal just landed a recurring role on Agents of SHIELD, playing an adversary of Coulson. 

I'm excited, I've been a fan of CZ since the forgotten show "Good Morning, Miami".

Edited by Sakura12

Constance Zimmer from Unreal just landed a recurring role on Agents of SHIELD, playing an adversary of Coulson. 

I'm excited, I've been a fan of CZ since the forgotten show "Good Morning, Miami".

Yay! This should help me cope with the wait between seasons of Unreal. Now Shiri Appleby just needs to snag a role on a show I watch and I'll be happy! 

I wait awhile before upgrading to a new OS, I wait for the all the kinks to be fixed after all the other people that get it complain about it. 

That's why I'm still using Windows 7.

Yeah, that's my plan now.  If it's a Window's 10 bug, then they'll come up with a patch soon enough.  If it's the monitor, then that company will put out an update to the software that interacts with Window's 10.  I'm optimistic for now. 

I admit, I'm not looking forward to the radical change since I don't think it really is the most efficient layout for a PC that gets used in a fairly traditional manner.  Windows 10 is optimized for touchscreens, but I was willing to put up with that to stay current, but not if looking at my screen made me sick to my stomach.  It was frustrating because there is this random nature shot that serves as filler to show up on the screen while switching between users and that image was at the perfect ratio but nothing else. 

(edited)

I updated yesterday from Windows 8 and I'm about a thousand times happier with Windows 10 than 8. I liked 7, which I had on my old laptop, but 8 was horrible. The only issue I had is that I had to reset my touchpad settings, but otherwise, everything transferred properly. It's so much more functional and logically organized than 8. I'm sure I'll run into bugs too, but getting rid of that stupid, pointless homescreen thing is worth any other headaches.

Yeah, I got the impression that 8 was closer to 10 than 7. (Hey, what happened to Window's 9?) When I was Googling my issues, I ran into some posts that mirrored my issues but they were from Windows 8 users.   Maybe I should pay more attention to them. 

Not sure how I feel about this (almost sounds like a joke)...

The CW Is Developing a "Gritty" Adaptation of Little Women & We Are Both Excited and Scared

by LAUREN PIESTER Wed., Jul. 29, 2015 5:23 PM PDT

http://www.eonline.com/news/681499/the-cw-is-developing-a-gritty-adaptation-of-little-women-we-are-both-excited-and-scared

The premise isn't bad, but why try to pretend it related to Little Women? 

Edited by BkWurm1
(edited)

It seems to be a trend.  There's also that new movie Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (based on a book) that turns the Bennet sisters into deadly martial arts fighters facing a zombie apocalypse.  

Yes, if you're going to change the characters and story of a classic beloved novel so drastically, why not just come up with an original premise and brand new characters?  Possible answer: it's easier to adapt someone else's work, and to attract fans of the original work.

As for a 'gritty' Little Women show, maybe the CW is thinking, 'Supernatural can't go on forever. How about we go with sisters this time - who love each other but have a lot of conflicts? And make them badass fighters - maybe in revealing clothes? Add in a dystopic setting with all sorts of bad guys or bad things out there. It'll be a combination of Supernatural and Charmed. Bingo! we'll attract both the female and male demos.'

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

There's also that new movie Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (based on a book) that turns the Bennet sisters into deadly martial arts fighters facing a zombie apocalypse.

I read the book and it was surprisingly faithful to all the characters. I couldn't believe how seamlessly the zombies and them all being highly trained martial arts fighter was included and I've never before or since been tempted to read a zombie related story but I would recommend this one. The movie though, could still go horribly, horribly wrong.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

My sister who has a degree in English and tends to be a literary purist (almost pseudo snob) absolutely loved the novel and recommended it to me. So to me, that means that it has to probably be better than good. I however, have avoided it. I love Austen, but HATE zombies, so its quite the conundrum for me. If I really don't like Zombies at all, is it worth it to give it a try? Can I look beyond the fact that there are zombies? Maybe that they are just nameless things that need to be defeated. Or do they remind me constantly that there are zombies?

• Love 1

In the book they go the "poor souls changed from a disease" route so at least there was that. Plus I'd say there is more Austen in the book than Zombies. The zombies are definitely there but they Bennetts go about life as normal, just with a few interruptions lol.

• Love 1

So i'm sorta catching up on Daredevil, aaand.. am I the only one who sees more romantic chemistry between Karen and Foggy? I know she's supposed to be Matt's love interest but.. I can't shake it.

No, I saw it too. It seemed weird to me, especially with Foggy's flirting, which I found surprisingly adorable. Matt and Claire had far more chemistry, in my opinion. On the whole, though, I really loved the show and just binge-watched it…again.

• Love 2

Actual for me I struggled through Daredevil and still have not finished/started the last episode. 

I dislike Fisk and the portrayal of him immensely. Like Karen the best, and I empathise with Matt but the whole show doesn't really connect with me, unlike most of the Marvel Universe.

I still have four episodes of Daredevil left and have basically no interest in finishing the season, even if I like the cast and think it's a well done show. It just does nothing for me. I don't know why but my mind starts to wander immediately when I turn the show on to watch, and a fifty minute episode takes me considerably longer to watch, and I don't have that problem with that many shows, even when I'm rewatching. Can't wait for Jessica Jones though. I think Daredevil is better than both superhero shows on the CW, but the dumb fun of Flash and my investment in Arrow's characters keep me watching those, even when I'd argue that Daredevil is better written, acted, produced, etc.

• Love 3

Yeah, Daredevil is one of those things I keep meaning to around to, but...have not done yet. (I have to admit, I've actually been watching Justice League cartoons on Netflix). I watched the first two episodes, but....it just did not hook me. I still mean to watch it. At this point, though, it's feeling more like an obligation than something I'm looking forward to.

(I have to admit, I've actually been watching Justice League cartoons on Netflix).

Hey, nothing to be ashamed of.  A great series.  The DC cartoon movies are usually pretty good too. 

• Love 1

I'm a huge fan of comic cartoons. Some of my favorites:

Batman: The Animated Series (KEVIN CONROY IS THE BEST BATMAN)

Batman Beyond (Totally Underrated)

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (Not a kid's movie. Dark, mature, creepy)

Batman: Under the Red Hood (Would love a live action with Jensen Ackles)

The Justice League/JLU (Some of the best characterization Ever. Some of the best moments Ever. Some of the best episodes Ever)

Superman the Animated Series (not as good as Batman, but still enjoyable)

Young Justice (So much potential) 

Gargoyles (Is it possible to crush on a voice? Keith David is right up there with Kevin Conroy. Also, that intro still gives me chills)

• Love 2

I'll have to try some of those out. I don't think Netflix has a huge selection, but they do have Justice League/JLU, although I've not sure the whole series is there. And they have one season of Young Justice. It looks like Amazon Prime has some of the Batman and Superman cartoons though, so I might check that out once I finish what's on Netflix.

It's been a little interesting watching Justice League without having the history. For example, their Flash is waaayyyy different than GG's Barry Allen. I suspected it was at least partially because this Flash was Wally West, not Barry, but I had to go to Wikipedia to confirm it, because so far Wally's name has never been said on the show. Things like that. But it's still fun. I'm enjoying it. Especially with Hawkgirl and now Vandal Savage. I know this is a different Hawkgirl than the one that will be on LOT, but it's still interesting getting some background.

This is a great Hunger Games-Game of Thrones mashup...

The Hunger Game of Thrones: Jon Snow Must Die (Trailer)
Katniss Everdeen faces off against President Snow...Jon Snow.
Published on Jul 25, 2015, by David Elmaleh

Watched Ant-Man today, it was really enjoyable. It's a highly entertaining action flick with heart. I thought the action sequences were really well done, I liked how they used the whole shrinking/enlarging aspects of the suit in the fights.

• Love 2

And they have one season of Young Justice.

You can absolutely watch season one of Young Justice as a stand alone series.  I highly recommend it.  HIGHLY. 

I really enjoyed the second season too but it comes after a time jump and a lot of things change from the first season.  I really wanted/needed another season.  The reason why it wasn't renewed eats at me.   

Grrr. 

It is interesting. A lot less cheesy than I thought it would be (I've never watched any comics-based cartoons before).

It's my source of appreciation for Black Canary.  (Well, that and Young Justice)

• Love 2

I still have four episodes of Daredevil left and have basically no interest in finishing the season, even if I like the cast and think it's a well done show. It just does nothing for me. I don't know why but my mind starts to wander immediately when I turn the show on to watch, and a fifty minute episode takes me considerably longer to watch, and I don't have that problem with that many shows, even when I'm rewatching.

I like that Daredevil is more "grounded", in the way that Arrow was until they introduced superpowers. But I had the same problem. I skipped to the finale and read recaps instead for the in-between episodes.

It was promising, but a bit slow and had a problem of general focus and balance imo. I think the show was carefully thought out, which is good...but maybe too much, and for me it came off as a bit "calculated", lacking the little spark that truly engages me as a viewer. I think that's why the characters didn't grab me although I liked Matt, Foggy and Karen...so I'll check at least S2x01 and see if it works better for me.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1