Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Once Upon A Time In The West

WendyCR72

Remember Castle's IBPWOC (impromtu bachelor party whole on case) that he threw for Ryan in season 4? All I can think of is that this is Castle's IHWOC (impromptu honeymoon while on case). I'm a little sad he didn't call it that.

I think it does the show good to break the mold once in awhile. Having Castle and Beckett go undercover was a great idea. I was wary of a western themed episode in the beginning, but I think it turned out really well. I loved it, cliches and all.

I really loved that Ryan and Espo gave Castle and Beckett crap about not being invited to their wedding. I liked the subtle dig from Gates, too. I get it. I'd be annoyed if my good friends eloped, too, even if I understood they they did it like that. But as much as I liked Ryan and Espo's attitude, but I liked Gates's reality check in the end.

His and her six-shooters was fun. I liked that Castle thought they were novel, but part of me thinks Beckett appreciated it.

If the rest of the season feels like this one in terms of Castle and Beckett being married, I'd be happy.

• Love 1

Yeehaw!  Enjoyed it.

Mr Beckett and Mrs Castle need to get out more often. Can they keep this fun, flirty honeymoon vibe going on through till Christmas as least I wonder? 

Didn't pay attention to the case that much.

This episode was fun, good Castle and Beckett interaction, the team were all involved even if it was only a blink and you'll miss it moment from Martha and Alexis but they made it count, all the cast looked like they had huge fun making this one and it showed. I didn't care for the reason explaining why they were sent there (whatever), it got them out of the gloomy precinct for a change of scenery and a chance to act like newlyweds.

Gates IS THE VOICE OF REASON.  Thank God I couldn't take any more of Espo (especially) and Ryan being pissed off, especially since the worst of it was directed mostly at Castle (as usual). I get why they were upset over the lack of an invite but I'm glad that Gates gave them a slap down in the end. 

Next week it's the Espo episode thanks but no thanks. It looks really uninteresting to me. I don't like Espo.

Edited by verdana

Favourite bit? I loved the moment between them around the camp fire prior to that bloody cockblocking snake when they toast each other, kiss and she leans on his shoulder. He's looking smitten, she's grinning as Kate's slowly coming around to the idea that may be this dude ranch honeymoon isn't quite such a bad deal after all and it's what you make things with they one you love. It was brief but incredibly sweet. That's the kind of looks I want to see more of when they're together, especially from Castle, that he loves her and can't quite believe that she's finally his after all they've been through. Too often in the past he's seemed distant and not in the moment and it makes such a difference when he is.

Hot Damn Beckett!  Wow. Luke blew the weekly clothing budget on Kate this week, she got a smoking hot black number as a cowgirl with that amazing corset showing off her teeny tiny waist then there was the pretty low cut dress (good to see they remembered her scar) whilst Nathan as usual got the leftovers....a hat, waistcoat and a chance to wear some more plaid.

Stana was on great eye rolling form this week over some of Castle's theories and she had to be, good to see nothing has change on that front.

So she used up all her vacation days huh?  Bummer.  But I can't believe that Ryan and Espo gave her some of theirs. I thought Americans got about a week a year if that? There's no way I'd be giving my holiday to any one and I get four weeks I don't care how much like family they were. Jesus.

Edited by verdana

Of course "Espo" and "Ryan" (heh) doing a runner is the perfect excuse for Beckett to get changed into that hot black corset number.

So there's just an open mine entrance there ready for any one to walk in there?

You knew there would be a body in that box.

Your wedding gift to your cop wife is a matching pair of six shooters. Mr Beckett I approve.

Love the references to them being married. I love it when you get to see them showing easy affection for each other and write it in such a way that Nathan and Stana can play up their natural chemistry with bantery exchanges and teasing.

Tamala must have squealed with excitement having something to do this week other than say lividity and her reaction to them getting married was a great, albeit rather short, I loved the slap in the chest towards Castle as she hugs Kate.

Glad to hear they want to make up to the team with a wedding reception but I can guarantee we'll never see it.

The ending was cute, I wonder how much practice she got in lassoing him? I do hope Kate gets a bit more action than that later on the romance front though!  They do have an extra four days...

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I loved this episode. Two episodes in a row that I have no complaints and the episodes held my interest from beginning to end. A lot of funny moments; I imagine both Nathan and Stana had fun filming this episode.

I was surprised that Ryan was just as cranky as Espo was about missing the wedding. He is usually the voice of reason. I'm interested in Espo's episode next week. I'm not bothered by him like others are, and I've thought his past episodes have been better than Ryan's.

But I can't believe that Ryan and Espo gave her some of theirs. I thought Americans got about a week a year if that?

It varies from job to job and also how long you have been at your place of employment. I would think with a government job that is also union, police officers get more than a week a year.

I don't think Luke really blew the budget on Beckett this week - chances are none of that was designer. ;) But it looked damn good on her, so whatever.

I thought all the Castle/Beckett interaction was nice and not forced but yeah, that moment by the campfire was really great. Not overly sappy, no one chose to play it funny, and it really worked. It was sweet and it felt real. I also liked the end, though.

I thought Americans got about a week a year if that?

Depends on the job/company. It also depends on if it's paid/not paid/sick time/vacation days/personal days. There's really no standard.

My pharmacist gets something like 3 weeks(and he's a hunter, so he doesn't save it). I'd bet NYPD gets a decent amount (by US standards, not the rest of the world standards), especially if they have any sort of seniority. Two days each ... while somewhat of a lot, might not hurt too much depending. I thought it was a sweet gesture. Very brotherly. But I'm not sure if it's something they could really do. Maybe ... but then they're going to get into overtime or whatever debates. It might be a sweet gesture and work in the show, but I'm not so sure of the real world.

"I can see who wears the ten gallon hat in your house" - yeah don't I know it.  Did any one think that the face Castle made when she called him "Mr Beckett" was a way of signalling that may be the name issue is going to come up again sometime as some minor bickering issue?  I can't decide.

The naked cowboy as an optional extra in their room was funny. 

Hey what? When Beckett said to Mr Grady "we're both a bit knackered" that seems such an English slang word to use, do Americans say that kind of thing normally? It kind of leapt out at me.

I wish the Creaseys and TPW could get rid of Amann and Marlowe and become joint showrunners based on this season to date.

• Love 1

For reference - NYPD get 27 paid vacation days (per year) after five years.

Hey what? When Beckett said to Mr Grady "we're both a bit knackered" that seems such an English slang word to use, do Americans say that kind of thing normally? It kind of leapt out at me.

It's not a normal turn of phrase, definitely. But you might hear it in old westerns, so I though that was just them staying in the character of the ranch.

• Love 1
When Beckett said to Mr Grady "we're both a bit knackered" that seems such an English slang word to use, do Americans say that kind of thing normally? It kind of leapt out at me

It's not common but I think it is more of a southern phrase than something you would hear in other parts of the country, like NYC or Chicago. I don't think it would be out of place on a dude ranch.

Or what McManda said.

Edited by moodyblue
  • Love 1

Enjoyed their joint excitement when they surprised everyone in the loft with their news "we're married!!" with the raised hands. Watching Kate's delight I immediately recalled when they go back to that guy's flat and Castle's teasing her saying lets pretend we're married and she says she doesn't want to and he says "scared you'll like it?" and she says if we're married I want a divorce! I love that moment of banter between them yet look at her now so cute. She couldn't be happier.

Susan may not have had long to shine but she's comedy gold, her rubbing it in about wonderful the wedding was in front of them and Alexis quickly pulling her away was great.

Thanks moodyblue and for the information on holidays McManda

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

This was a very cute episode.  I like having little moments of cute interaction built in throughout the episode, rather than stuffing it all in the beginning/end.

I thought Ryan and Espo were being kinda jerky about the whole wedding thing.  Yes, I can see them being upset and even giving Caskett some grief, but at least throw in a congratulations like Lanie did.  I loved Gates telling them off at the end.

From like the second they got to the dude ranch I was yelling at my TV that she was trying to find buried treasure.  I mean, what else could it be?  But then I thought we were going to find out Whitney only thought she was looking for treasure but it was just a stunt for guests a la City Slickers 2. 

I loved when Beckett accused Castle of just wanting to go after the gold, and he was all "of course I do!"  I also loved Castle's face when Kate called him Mr. Beckett.

So there's just an open mine entrance there ready for any one to walk in there?

It was open because the dead girl had blown it up before she got killed.

Glad to hear they want to make up to the team with a wedding reception but I can guarantee we'll never see it.

I really don't care about seeing a reception, tbh.  I saw the vows and that's all I wanted.

• Love 3

I liked all the little western touches, like the title page for Castle (not sure if that's what it's called) with the pen splattering ink/blood, but this time it was a western scene.  And the one cutaway scene where the page (?) burned like on Bonanza.  Really cute.

• Love 3

I definitely enjoyed this episode more than last week's. It was hokey at times, but Castle & Beckett as newlyweds were super adorable and they seemed to enjoy the Western "honeymoon" more than they expected. Of the seven episodes so far, I'd say this is my favorite. And with TPW writing it, that doesn't shock me. ;) 

Honestly, I don't really need to see Beckett's engagement ring, especially because now it's been replaced by a wedding band. I think the wedding band is better - less flashy, better suited to her job. The only time I really cared about the ring was when she was playing with it. If they brought it out for special occasions, that'd be fine, but for everyday the wedding band in the way to go, I think.

I thought all the Castle/Beckett interaction was nice and not forced but yeah, that moment by the campfire was really great. Not overly sappy, no one chose to play it funny, and it really worked. It was sweet and it felt real. I also liked the end, though.

Yeah that's what I liked about it, they let them have the moment and didn't mess it up by going for the easy laugh which is something they have had a tendency to do during so called romantic or quieter moments.  

Guess the clothing budget can't have been stretched that much on reflection but Beckett certainly had the best of it. Loved her hat too. 

The only slightly down side to this episode was that once again they played up goofy bumbling Castle, a case of more (non) Butch Cassidy in this case. Like when he can't get through the doors of the saloon properly and almost falls in or goes and fumbles with the gun at the end (at least he was shown as brave enough to have a face off) and Beckett has to save the day.  I find they often make him physically clumsy now for cheap laughs. And I thought Castle was good with a gun? It goes from him being useless to great depending on the writer.

I know they tend to play this other side up especially when they're doing fun and fluff outings like this one so I can't say it was a surprise or it ruined the episode or anything but he has other facets to his character which whilst I'm sure Kate knows about them it would be nice if the audience got to see those other sides of him which were there in S1/2 more often. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

So I know everyone was focused on the bodice and waistline of that last dress, but can I just say whoa on the thigh slit. Holy crap, that's gotta rival the dress Angelina Jolie wore to the Oscars the year everyone made fun of her leg.

• Love 3

I'm guessing, if the engagement ring was real, it was rented. And now that Beckett has the wedding ring, why pay for two? So poof goes the engagement ring.

I don't mind if the engagement ring has gone as long as they keep both their wedding rings on from now on and don't have them appear and disappear during the course of an episode or from week to week that kind of lack of continuity frustrates me. 

It was open because the dead girl had blown it up before she got killed.

Ah. And there's the proof I wasn't following this case that hard. 

Edited by verdana
.Two days each ... while somewhat of a lot, might not hurt too much depending. I thought it was a sweet gesture. Very brotherly. But I'm not sure if it's something they could really do. Maybe ... but then they're going to get into overtime or whatever debates.

It's probably not something they can do officially, but they somehow work it out with Gates.  I thought Gates was just going to tell her to take a couple days and she'd pretend it never happened.  Where I work we're officially not allowed to carry over vacation days to the next year, but most managers will work out a way to do it with employees.

So the mention the loft as "our place," do we think that's the only mention we'll get from them on the living situation?

My pharmacist gets something like 3 weeks(and he's a hunter, so he doesn't save it). I'd bet NYPD gets a decent amount (by US standards, not the rest of the world standards), especially if they have any sort of seniority. Two days each ... while somewhat of a lot, might not hurt too much depending. I thought it was a sweet gesture. Very brotherly. But I'm not sure if it's something they could really do. Maybe ... but then they're going to get into overtime or whatever debates. It might be a sweet gesture and work in the show, but I'm not so sure of the real world.

The various places I've worked have had established policies for donating leave.  It's more typically done for things like a coworker who is out of leave having a death in the family, but it seemed entirely believable to me.

So I know everyone was focused on the bodice and waistline of that last dress, but can I just say whoa on the thigh slit. Holy crap, that's gotta rival the dress Angelina Jolie wore to the Oscars the year everyone made fun of her leg.

I hadn't even noticed, wow.

Edited by FlickerToAFlame

I hadn't even noticed, wow.

It seems completely impractical for the old West, but I'm betting Castle enjoyed it immensely. Honestly I'm a little disappointed we didn't get his commentary on that last outfit.

I didn't care for the reason explaining why they were sent there (whatever), it got them out of the gloomy precinct for a change of scenery and a chance to act like newlyweds.

Ikr? It's nice to have a well lit ep. Even the box was lit better than usual cause you could see the dark teal perforated tiles on the wall.

Such a cute and fun ep. Aww that Beckett referred to the loft as our place and Castle's reaction. There's really no point her having her apartment.

I so wanted to hear the Ryan/Espo song that they wrote for them but you know the reception party is gonna go the way of the Johanna Beckett scholarship fund party aka never heard or seen from again. LOL that Gates was the voice of reason and 1st to reference Castle as Beckett's husband. Kinda surprise that Ryan was that butthurt, but then Castle was one of his groomsmen. I was hoping he would've come around half way thru the ep. I did loled at Castle tossing his wallet over to Ryan to make up for the rented tux.

Thank you show for not having Tyler Hilton referencing himself in the 3rd person. He was way more enjoyable here that what I saw on One Tree Hill.

I wish the Creaseys and TPW could get rid of Amann and Marlowe and become joint showrunners based on this season to date.

Yeah we would get fun eps without the whatever mythology they're trying at.

And I thought Castle was good with a gun? It goes from him being useless to great depending on the writer.

Yeah since he got to play with a similar gun in Vampire Weekend for his Mal outfit. So maybe it's was just nerves this time since he actually had to face a criminal and not fooling around in his office.

Edited by turnitwayup

Yeah we would get fun eps without the whatever mythology they're trying at.

The episodes are so much better when they're not going for high drama and trying desperately to find hidden mysterious layers to Castle with this mythology business, they need to leave it alone but I know they're not going to sadly.  

Such a cute and fun ep. Aww that Beckett referred to the loft as our place and Castle's reaction. There's really no point her having her apartment

I thought about this when he says that line. Now they're married of course they need to get shot of her apartment or at least talk openly about it because if they don't I'm going to assume it's only being kept so they can have some relationship blip later on in the season and she has somewhere to go. 

Edited by verdana

Nathan Fillion seemed to be loving playing cowboy. That wasn't just an act, right?

The ending sequence font somehow reminded me of Brisco County Jr. Actually, the whole episode had that flavor--which was a good thing.

Agree the black cowgirl outfit was stunning. If I ever again have to dress up in a costume, that's what I'll do.

• Love 1

Also loved the black cowboy outfit. The white dress at the end screamed "flat chested!" I didn't think it was the least bit flattering on Stana. It actually looks better in the Instagram photos where shooting from above "enhances" things.

I liked the episode, including the case -- although I guessed at the start that either the head honcho or the cop were the culprit.

Loads of affectionate banter, clever lines.

I'm with RyEsp and crew. To have a wedding without them was a travesty and we all know it.

Hopefully the show will carry on in this manner for the rest of its run.

Edited by TVWithPity

The ending sequence font somehow reminded me of Brisco County Jr. Actually, the whole episode had that flavor--which was a good thing.

The flame through the map that happened in the middle of the ep was probably a homage to the Bonanza credits. Brisco was fun little show and it would've been hilarious if Bruce was able to guest star in this ep.

• Love 1

So today I got to see three excellent episodes.

First, SpaceTV was showing Always Buy Retail, which had Meredith, sexyCastle, and both Alexis and Martha with character building moments as well as CleverCastle and Knowing a Guy and.... well, anyway.

The last week's episode On Demand, which was as good as I remembered, and the green screen not quite as horrifying. It was fun spotting all the callbacks.

And then tonight's episode. I especially liked the Bonanza reference in one of the title cards and that the Indian elder was both proud of his heritage and had a sense of humour about it.

The gunslinging was a little re-conned. As mentioned, Castle has been shown to be a good shot and even to be able to do the fancy gunplay thing (although maybe Nathan was doubled for the actual stunt). We could handwave it as real life as opposed to cosplay but...

• Love 1
Luke Reichle @RedCarpetLuke  ·  1h 1 hour ago

#Castle magnificent muse @Stana_Katic BTS at #Paramount ranch. About 100 degrees that day.

https://twitter.com/RedCarpetLuke/status/534599010204385281

The flame through the map that happened in the middle of the ep was probably a homage to the Bonanza credits. Brisco was fun little show and it would've been hilarious if Bruce was able to guest star in this ep.

Ah thank you! I was trying to remember where the hell I had seen that before. 

Luke Reichle @RedCarpetLuke  ·  2 hrs 2 hours ago

I tried to work in as much #BlazingSaddles as humanly possible.

Some lovely black and white shots here of Caskett during this episode.  I love the way she's looking at him in the third pic down and the way he's gazing at her during that lovely camp fire moment.  Hair looks pretty from the back on the last shot. Nice relaxed cute interaction there of the kind they need to do much more of from now on. I love it when Nathan is obviously enthused and having a good time because boy does it make a difference. 

These set of gifs show off that Jolie style side split on her dress and the small scar can also clearly be seen. 

Edited by verdana

The gunslinging was a little re-conned. As mentioned, Castle has been shown to be a good shot and even to be able to do the fancy gunplay thing (although maybe Nathan was doubled for the actual stunt). We could handwave it as real life as opposed to cosplay.

This and Ryan and Espo taking their tux rental money out of Castle's wallet.

Other than that great episode. Really enjoyed it.

All yiddy in the hospital hallway: we did it. We are married. Our place. - all yiddy and smiles over here as well.

The scene at the fire so cute and smitten. Keep em coming please. Banter, touching, kissing.

Whatever they changed or whatever has changed in general from last season to this on set, the writer's room - wherever, please keep it locked in the closet.

• Love 1

It got to me a bit when they took the cash out of his wallet and then Ryan throwing it back it hits him on his forehead, I didn't care to see that and I know it was meant to be funny. They're always taking things off him and he has to pay them back for things they do for him which is why the close friendship they're meant to have doesn't feel that genuine at times. 

• Love 1

As for Caskett themselves, the campfire scene was heading in a very nice direction before being cut short by the rattlesnake — but for once can we have a brazen, bedroom-eyed Beckett not turn Rick into a flustered, fumbling-whatever-he-has-in-his-hands schoolboy? (Wasn’t this guy a smooth playa back in the day?)

I've had time to read Matt's review at TV line and he brought this up and I completely agree with him. Castle used to be suave and he was clearly more than comfortable around women of all kinds but the writers seem to have completely forgotten about this too. It gets irritating seeing him lost for words and flapping around every time he gets faced with a hot women. I realise they're on honeymoon and yeah Beckett looked mighty fine but just for once it might be nice if Castle could maintain his composure and use some of his old wit and charm and not lose it and behave like some gauche kid.

It's the same problem I have with his sudden (mis)handling skills with a gun, he's proved many times before that he can more than take care of himself in various dangerous situations but the writers appear to enjoy using Castle's now frequent bumbling ineptitude and ability to get in to trouble at the drop of a hat as a punchline to service the plot for cheap laughs and it's not respecting the character.  

I know Nathan has good comedic skills and it must be so tempting to keep falling back on them when having to write something more layered and subtle would take the greater effort but I wish they would steer away from Castle and his buffoonery as a way of getting a quick joke in at the character's expense.   

Edited by verdana
  • Love 4

I realise they're on honeymoon and yeah Beckett looked mighty fine but just for once it might be nice if Castle could maintain his composure and use some of his old wit and charm and not lose it and behave like some gauche kid.

Maybe he's just that in love with Beckett, she still turns him into a mess.

• Love 4

I know Nathan has good comedic skills and it must be so tempting to keep falling back on them when having to write something more layered and subtle would take the greater effort but I wish they would steer away from Castle and his buffoonery as a way of getting a quick joke in at the character's expense.   

ITA. Where is the guy once voted the 9th(or was it 7th?) hottest bachelor in NY whose  book launches were glitzy “Tony Stark” style events with plenty of champagne and girls wanting autographs in private places. Now he is kind of Laurel (from Laurel & Hardy) and his book launch is basically a joke meme.

The buffoon act for cheap laughs is nowhere near as fun to watch as Nathan's witty humor of the early seasons IMO.

Edited by Trek
  • Love 2

I LOVED this episode. Romantic, fun, funny, and ole school Castle. 

That opening scene [Castle, Beckett, Ryan, Espo, Lanie, Martha, and Alexis] was HILARIOUS! 

(In Sync)

Espo: "You missed your chance"

Ryan: "No. Song. For. You."

I spit my juice out laughing! 

Maybe he's just that in love with Beckett, she still turns him into a mess.

My thoughts exactly.

regarding Castle's fumbling during the shootout/fast drawer I think that we have seen him shoot accurately "for real", but only do the "fast drawer gun twirl" bits "as play" not "life or death":.

Regarding the dress in the last scene: I missed the slit-thanks for the picture and was  glad that they remembered the scar. Did anyone else think about "possible wardrobe malfunction" as Beckett dipped pulled and twisted??

Edited by MDL
  • Love 1

I have my fingers crossed that they took one of those old-timey western photos in the sepia tone everyone does at a dude ranch, and will use it for their Christmas card! (poor Alexis and Martha will have to make their own)

• Love 1