Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: You Can't Handle the Truth

• Start Topic

Sam and Dean investigate a series of suicides and discover the victims were being told brutal truths that drove them crazy. They find out someone is invoking the Goddess of Truth, Veritas, forcing people to be cruelly honest against their will and Dean is the next victim. Dean is forced to tell Sam the truth about how he feels about his return from Hell.

There are some things I like here, but a whole lot more that I don't. Mostly it's just really slow and rather boring. However, the opening was kinda of old-school Supernatural and I'm fond of Dean and Bobby's exchanges here--especially Bobby outing himself as a milk-drinking-and-pedicure-getting guy. Dean's whole "no, no, no" at the end is priceless, IMO. Veritas was an interesting idea, just not sure they found the right angle on the idea. But mostly, I take great pleasure in Dean beating the snot out of Sam at the end--the dude had it coming, IMO. Otherwise, meh.

• Love 3

I really like this episode more than I remembered during th survival game. In fact I should have given it more love.

I love the actress playing Varitas. She was brilliant.

I was really glad that Dean finally learned the truth about Sam or at least his suspicions were confirmed that boy ain't right. And yes I thought Sam deserved that beat down for letting Dean be turned into a vampire.

• Love 1

I have very mixed feelings on this one.  I love the idea but the opportunity feels wasted.

there are some really good moments but I also don't remember it that well.  Like so many this season it has a great beginning idea but the finish product just doesn't work.

I like this episode a lot. It felt like season 2 SPN in parts and watching Sam pretend to be Sam, or taking cues from Deans behavior and adopting it for himself, was fascinating. He makes all the faces and says the words he thinks he should, but it's mimicry at best. He's not all there.

Ha, I feel like I'm trying to describe what Ronald was saying in Nightshifter about the shifter being like a Juan-doll, lol. You all know what I mean right?!

I'm glad too that the cat is out of the bag, so to speak, regarding Sam. And he so deserved that beat down.

• Love 5

Ah Sam finally admits he's not right, though I did find it interesting that Dean thought Sam was just acting like him, which he was, as mimicry, so he would appear to be more 'normal.'

Interesting premise.  Dean was doing pretty well with hearing the truth there.  Bobby's relevations were hilarious.

• Love 1

That dentist scene was horrifying. I like that Bobby ranks "Satan is my co-pilot" as worse than it just being Sam. I never get tired of Jensen's acting and I love watching his worry over Sam build over these last few episodes with only Bobby to talk to. Castiel poured more liquor for Dean. Why do I love that so much? "You were gone for two seconds. Where did you look?" "Everywhere." Some of the truth reveals are just really funny. "How come half the time you clean a mess you end up dirty?" Good question, Bobby. Good question. I like Lisa's truths. Protective of Ben, still cares about Dean, calling out Dean's unhealthy lifestyle and relationship with Sam while still being glad Sam's okay, and knowing when to get out of Dodge. Good decision there, Lisa. Dean's "I ain't a father. I'm a killer" makes me want to hug him more than it should. Yeah, Sam deserved it. The only time Winchesters beat the crap out of one another without me feeling bad about it. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, bettername2come said:

That dentist scene was horrifying. I like that Bobby ranks "Satan is my co-pilot" as worse than it just being Sam. I never get tired of Jensen's acting and I love watching his worry over Sam build over these last few episodes with only Bobby to talk to. Castiel poured more liquor for Dean. Why do I love that so much? "You were gone for two seconds. Where did you look?" "Everywhere." Some of the truth reveals are just really funny. "How come half the time you clean a mess you end up dirty?" Good question, Bobby. Good question. I like Lisa's truths. Protective of Ben, still cares about Dean, calling out Dean's unhealthy lifestyle and relationship with Sam while still being glad Sam's okay, and knowing when to get out of Dodge. Good decision there, Lisa. Dean's "I ain't a father. I'm a killer" makes me want to hug him more than it should. Yeah, Sam deserved it. The only time Winchesters beat the crap out of one another without me feeling bad about it. 

You hit all of the reasons why I enjoy this episode! I especially liked the convo with Lisa: "you shoved my kid Dean; let's talk about it now." I know it was the truth spell at work that made her so candid but it was refreshing because it's such a true reaction to the thought of her kid being endangered regardless of how she feels about her boyfriend.

• Love 2

I did NOT remember the opening with Jane.  Damn.  That was incredibly sad.  I mean, I understand how the 'truth' at the moment can come out harsh, but that's all Jane was hearing.  And it happened at a Biggersons.  

Okay, I have a dentist appointment next week.  Now I don't want to go.  

"Maybe it's just Sam."  Really, Bobby?  That's the best you got?

Oh Sam - you look WAY too happy to tell Dean about the dentist.  

Dean - EXCELLENT job of fibbing with the "I'm going to do a little research" line. Wow.  For Sam to say he'd have murdered the guy that the dentist killed too (considering Sam's state and all) I think that's saying a lot.  And very interesting that Sam would even say that, tbh.

Wait - how was there blood spatter on the head rest when that's where the guy's head was?  Hey, I've seen CSI.  You can't fool me.  

Ha!  Gabriel shout out, with Gabriel's Horn of Truth.  I didn't catch that first tiem through.  

Having Closed Captioning on is really interesting sometimes.  For example, the TV says [bottle thuds] when Cas is talking to Dean and yet I don't hear a bottle thud.  Cas is totally convincing that he doesn't know what's wrong with Sam, I think.  I bought it first time at least.

Sometimes I wish it were just as easy as saying "I'd just like the freaking truth" to actually get the truth, come what may.  I like Dean's reaction to finding out people were telling him the truth.  I mean, who would you call and what would you ask them?  Something to think about....

I don't know exactly what to think about that conversation with Lisa.  I realize it was a Plot point.  I really liked Lisa and I think she was good for Dean.  I really hate (hated even the first time) to see her go.  

Wow.  I like cats.  Have had a cat since I was 9 or 10.   Buried a couple in my time.  Never kept their skulls in box under my bed though.  I am so seriously disturbed by that.  

Oh wow - Sam is a seriously good liar right now.  Ooh, Sam in shirt sleeves.  I can almost forgive for the creepy Sam lying.  ;)  I wonder if that was Portia in the background.  lol.  Okay, I'm probably sick, but for completeness's sake, I want to know where Sam got the dog's blood.  

Best scene of this episode, imo, was Dean confronting Sam after Veritas was dead.  Based on Sam's face, Dean's hand should have been broken.  

Spoiler

So, in other words, having  a soul is required in order to be forced to tell the truth.

• Love 2
On 15/08/2017 at 8:56 PM, Runswithscissors said:

Having Closed Captioning on is really interesting sometimes.  For example, the TV says [bottle thuds] when Cas is talking to Dean and yet I don't hear a bottle thud.  Cas is totally convincing that he doesn't know what's wrong with Sam, I think.  I bought it first time at least.

this happens all the time with netflix. someone supposedly says a line and we go back to hear it and we don't. someone yells in the background and we don't hear that either. i don't know what's the problem lol

-----------

oh thank GOD. i thought we would have to suffer the whole season trying to find out what was wrong with sam and having to look at him lie to dean the whole time as well. dangit if i didn't almost push all my negative feelings aside with him using his Appeal voice. so who is sam exactly tho? also i don't care that dean kicked sam's behind since it's not really him and honestly real sam would have greatly appreciated that anyway. he wouldn't have minded that at all, i feel.

EDIT - RANT; FORGOT TO ADD THIS: wtf is lisa talking about dean would never be happy with sam (and i'm assuming she meant vice versa)????? this is purely my opinion, but while dean shows a lot of care for lisa and her son, he doesn't love them THAT much. he's only known them a year FPS. so where does she get off implying he would be happier/better with her?

secondly, wtf is she talking about sam and dean's relationship being unhealthy? who tf is she to say what is healthy and what is not for a sibling relationship? and then she has the gall to compare them with herself and her sister. "We're close but I wouldn't bring her back from the dead!" well that's YOUR PROBLEM SISTER. it's sometimes as a running gag in the show, but how some characters in the series show their distaste for how close the brothers are now itches my skin, thanks to lisa being horribly judgemental. why don't you people leave them be. they're not hurting anyone, they're not trying to make siblings be just like them, so what is making these people say such things? 

as for me, i WOULD being either of my sisters back from the dead. BECAUSE THEY ARE MY LOVED ONES. why WOULDN'T i try to bring them back in my life? if ben died and lisa had a chance to bring him back, would anyone be thinking anything about that? give me a freaking break. lisa can go choke on her words of what she said. she had no right saying those things.

Edited by Iju

At this point am sick of the what is wrong with Sam stuff, so I am happy to see it come to a head. I really liked Veritas (the actress and the concept). Also agree that the Bobby thing was great. My phone is messing up so I will leave it at that, but I really liked this one.

(edited)

Christ, as if I wasn't afraid of the dentist already (and Corbin Bernsen's The Dentist horror movies definitely didn't help).

I get that Dean's upset about Sam, but giving Cas a hard time wasn't going to help, especially after the latter had already told the former in a previous episode that he didn't know what's going on. First calling Bobby selfish, now this. Sheesh.

That said, Castiel would make Batman envious of his stealth hi-bye.

Damn, that Sammy almost got me fooled. Goddammit, he had me when he supposedly told the "truth" to Dean, and I ate it up and teared up a little when he said he had Dean's back, but I had a suspicion something was still off and he wasn't saying the whole truth, especially if he's not human.

On 11/18/2014 at 9:30 PM, DittyDotDot said:

But mostly, I take great pleasure in Dean beating the snot out of Sam at the end--the dude had it coming, IMO.

I read from Reddit that quite a handful of people hated Sam (partly because Jensen Ackles is more popular than Jared Padalecki), with the reasons given being he's a self-entitled whiny little brat with victim complex, not to mention how most of Dean's suffering was because of Sam. And boy, this episode sure doesn't do Sam any favors. Seriously, I rooted for him in early season 1 because he provided a nice balance to Dean's seemingly more pragmatic counterpart, only that it turned out that Dean was the more compassionate one down the seasons while Sam's the more emotionally messed up one who gave into aggressive urges often throughout the first five seasons. And when he's not being insufferable, Dean's just a far more interesting protagonist. I feel for Jared, but that's just how it is.

Still, I'm glad we're upping the stakes in season 6; from demons to angels to freaking goddesses. Yeah, I'd say demons are the least of the Winchesters' problems. To be fair, I believe the Winchesters have faced gods before, especially in season 5. Though to be fair, they were nerfed down at the time, so. And Loki is just Gabriel, so that didn't count.

4/5 for the episode for an excellent MotW. It's suitably disturbing especially with such a heavy subject like suicide.

Next episode promo: 

Spoiler

"Sam is soulless."

What the fuck, CW? Oh wait, I already knew.

Edited by MagnusHex
  • Like 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, MagnusHex said:

I get that Dean's upset about Sam, but giving Cas a hard time wasn't going to help, especially after the latter had already told the former in a previous episode that he didn't know what's going on.

This will make sense later.

3 hours ago, MagnusHex said:

I read from Reddit that quite a handful of people hated Sam (partly because Jensen Ackles is more popular than Jared Padalecki), with the reasons given being he's a self-entitled whiny little brat with victim complex, not to mention how most of Dean's suffering was because of Sam. And boy, this episode sure doesn't do Sam any favors. Seriously, I rooted for him in early season 1 because he provided a nice balance to Dean's seemingly more pragmatic counterpart, only that it turned out that Dean was the more compassionate one down the seasons while Sam's the more emotionally messed up one who gave into aggressive urges often throughout the first five seasons. And when he's not being insufferable, Dean's just a far more interesting protagonist. I feel for Jared, but that's just how it is.

Co-sign this. I've always felt that Dean was a more relatable character.

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, MagnusHex said:

Christ, as if I wasn't afraid of the dentist already (and Corbin Bernsen's The Dentist horror movies definitely didn't help).

LOL. I have never been able to watch that scene - even on the original showing, so I don't even know the details of what happened. And that's the way I want to keep it!!!!

• LOL 1