Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Exposure

To say that I'm tired of Mara at this point is somewhat redundant. Because I was already tired of her but now I'm really tired of her.

Other than that, this was quite an enjoyable episode. It has the feel of the writers treading water on the overall plot but I did like the Vince and Dave stuff because I feel their story is long overdue.

The overall Trouble was interesting and I enjoyed Audrey. The show has really missed the character.

Okay, so whoever called the photographer as the Troubled person wins the forum for the week. I'd figured out that the cancer guy was the killer, though. He didn't want Nathan to find a way to end the Trouble.

Boy, did they give Duke a woobierific backstory, or what? I wonder what Mara's interest in hearing about his mother was -- just getting under his skin, getting information she can use against him, or is it somehow relevant to something?

Dave's channeling the Chief was rather impressive, but why is he carrying around Garland's badge? I thought Nathan had it.

Nathan's back to being the Damsel in Distress and Audrey's back in "I must save Nathan!" mode. Ah, feels like old times. But I liked how she used her lack of immunity this time.

It seems like the "triangle" has shifted somewhat (at least the way Mara tells it). Instead of it being both Nathan and Duke in love with Audrey, we've got both Audrey and Duke loving Nathan.

Congrats to TabbyClaw for figuring out the troubled person and the murderous cancer ghost.  

As to the episode.  Meh.  

I had the feeling Duke was lying about his mother.  The story was way too much of a Lifetime Movie.  Too perfectly tragic and so unrealistic.  I'd love it if he had been lying.  

Nathan.  Meh.  Audrey.  *sigh*  I realize I have missed Audrey but ER is so struggling with the dual roles.  She can't even be good at Audrey anymore.  

ETA:  Fixing my duel typo to dual.  But I think we are supposed to see it as duel.  I see it as boring.

Edited by BlackberryJam

I realize I have missed Audrey but ER is so struggling with the duel roles.  She can't even be good at Audrey anymore

I agree. She's hardly a Tatiana Maslany.

I forgot to mention - Dara or Muke or whatever terrible shipper name we're supposed to come up with. I mean, really? If that's where they're going, that's some serious character assassination.

If Duke was telling the truth about the last time he saw his mother, I can see why he needed to be "very very drunk" to recount that tale.  <shudder>  Poor Duke.

They didn't need Mara for this one.  I was shouting 'print the damn picture' by the time they decided to ask for her help.  That one seemed obvious to me. Not everyone she took pictures of vanished, and they didn't disappear as soon as she clicked the shutter. She said when Audrey and DS dude (Seth?) came in that she only printed her favorites and there on the fridge were all the 'vanished' people. Audrey is usually a little quicker on the uptake than that. 

That's two in a row with no Dwight and no Gloria. :(  I miss them. 

• Love 1

When that nurse had Vince locked up in the med supply office & was going to call the doctor/police & Vince was sitting in the chair & just staring at her I thought he was going to unlease his trouble on her, whatever that trouble may be & I got very excited. So disappointed when he didn't. I did like Dave's rescue. I really missed Dwight & Gloria in this ep and was glad to see Vince and Dave at least. So sick of Mara. I wish Duke would throw her overboard already.

Yeah, Emily Rose is no Tatiana Maslany.

Well done, Tabbyclaw!

I loved Daves rescue, especially when he scoffed, loudly, at the idea that Vince would claim to be a journalist, of all things!

Regarding the TOTW, though, it bugged me that they talked about him killing "those people". He killed the second one defending Nathan, And I felt that he was set up as a patsy by the writers for the first one, killing that guy to set up the cliffhanger. I wonder if that other guy really would have died in his car wreck, or if the wreck was caused when he vanished from behind the wheel and his memory was unclear so he bought the obvious explanation.

I enjoyed seeing the ghost hunter again, and thought it was hilarious that his partner left when he got rich from effectively inventing Candy Crush.

• Love 1

I liked that.

So, the big question is how/why did Duke do the whole Mara/Audrey split thing. I think perhaps he wants her around for the same reason as he was chummy once with the Rev-answers about his family history.

• Love 1

I forgot to mention - Dara or Muke or whatever terrible shipper name we're supposed to come up with. I mean, really? If that's where they're going, that's some serious character assassination.

I hear you! It really felt like we were being primed for Nathan and Audrey going out on a double date with Duke and Mara at some point.

As a Southerner I was annoyed at the nurse for saying that people from a podunk town in Maine might consider Raleigh a home to incompetent hillbillies.  It's the capital of North Carolina, part of the prestigious Research Triangle and miles from the mountains. California writers may think that but a local would at least have more probable putdowns in her repertoire.

I wondered about that.  It struck me that maybe the scene was initially supposed to be in some small local hospital towards the Outer Banks, and then they stuck in the Raleigh establishing shot.  As I said last week,  if you're going from Maine to the Outer Banks, Raleigh doesn't help much regardless of whether you're driving or flying.

Did Duke mention his brother at all in the story about his mother? Trick or treaters arrived and I forgot to rewind.

I enjoyed seeing Seth again and would probably watch a spin-off of Dark Side Investigations--we hunt what haunts you--if one was made. I really disliked that actor on Joan of Arcadia but like him here.

Wade was Duke's brother from a different mother, so he wasn't mentioned.  Does Duke have any full brothers?

Also, and so so petty, ER's hair is suffering from the treatments.  In that shot with Nathan at the end, when they are hugging and we see her from behind, damn, that stuff looks fried.

I did enjoy the Dave and Vince B-Story but I am missing Dwight.  

So, when does Mara get a bathroom break?  

Did Duke mention his brother at all in the story about his mother? Trick or treaters arrived and I forgot to rewind.

No he didn't. They have/had different mothers and didn't grow up together.

So, the big question is how/why did Duke do the whole Mara/Audrey split thing. I think perhaps he wants her around for the same reason as he was chummy once with the Rev-answers about his family history.

I think that whole split (the method) was a random idea by the writers which they are struggling to explain.

I do think there has always been a connection between Mara (Audrey as we knew her initially) and the Crockers. I think they may be related in some way.

I've always wanted to know more about Duke's mother, but the way it was done was so weak.There was absolutely no hint at all of Duke having any issues with his mother until this episode (5 seasons in), no subtle remarks to Nathan or Audrey. Found it difficult to connect with and the sad story about how horrible his mother was is a bit cliche, I've heard a similar story on so many tv shows. It does sort of explain his marriage to Evi though, because from the phone call after Evi's death she seemed to be a similar character to Duke's mother. 

I always wondered why the Rev didn't try to foster or take in a young Duke, surely he would have been easier to manipulate to his cause. Plus Vince was supposedly friends with Simon Crocker and also activated his trouble and then killed him, didn't the old guy feel guilty enough to try and help an 8 year old Duke. Am actually seeing a contrast in the way 8 year old Nathan seems to have been rescued from an abusive home (by Lucy? Garland, Vince and Dave) and 8 year old Duke was left to his own devices.

Is Mara really going to be chained up for most of the season?

Edited by BlueJay81
  • Love 3

I want Laura Mennell's job. Getting paid and first credited all for three whole minutes of screen time.

This episode was ehm, not so intense as last week. I think they couldn't divide the time equally between Nathan and the Darkside Seeker and Nathan lost.

Yes well I guess someone would point out the similarity between the absent Darkside Seeker and the bad guy who looks exactly like him.

I liked Seth, don't necessarily need him every episode but he did a fantastic job in keeping this episode engaging.

Mara deserved a treat in this episode because I didn't want to throttle her. I'd let her take a shower, because damn.

Next week: Quarantine, Chris Brody and teddy bears. aka when the writers got their hands on the good pot.

Ah, poor Duke. He's the Bonnie Bennett of this universe, always being the one to help out while getting nothing in return. If the show goes down the road of giving him his very own "Audrey" I don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy Haven again. Sure Audrey and Nathan are mega boring, and sure Balfour has incredible chemistry with Emily Rose, but come on. (The writers should've learned how to write around this issue long ago, but they couldn't resist Colorado, now stuff is really out there.)

But if Nathan/Audrey is written in stone then let it be, just let it be. It sure as wind won't make the relationship any more interesting, but at least they'll save Duke, a great character, the indignity of having to be conflicted about an Audrey look-alike. Or are we supposed to think he's made a legitimate connection with Mara? She sure seems to drawn to him, unless she's going for the long con. And to be honest I'm actually enjoying Mara a lot more now than we have sort of Audrey back (and I do mean sort of Audrey because something is off, so very off), but watching Duke's tired and melancholic self trying to answer Mara's question about why he keeps her around was painful. Oh Duke (aka writers), don't. Please don't. That said, their "session" was the most interesting part of the episode to me.

Ah, why did Jennifer have to go? I understand the actress decided to leave, but it was nice knowing someone in this Haven world cared for Duke in that way.

Oh and couldn't the ghostbuster dude be a woman for a change? Must every sci fi show have the exact same character? Boy. In fact, one of the reasons I need Mara to stay is because she's a female characters left, even if she's also played by ER.

• Love 3

Yes well I guess someone would point out the similarity between the absent Darkside Seeker and the bad guy who looks exactly like him.

Yes, Danny and Christopher Masterson do have a strong family resemblance. I wonder if any other sibling actors have appeared on Haven.

Regarding the TOTW, though, it bugged me that they talked about him killing "those people". He killed the second one defending Nathan, And I felt that he was set up as a patsy by the writers for the first one, killing that guy to set up the cliffhanger.

Since the knife was his, and we didn't see the initial struggle, I don't think he was defending Nathan. Isn't he the one who pointed Nathan toward the bearded guy in the first place? He killed the first one as a threat, because he did not want the trouble to be fixed. I'm not sure the writers creating a motivation for his character is the same as making him a patsy.

I liked this episode more than most of the season so far, and probably last season too.

...Boy, did they give Duke a woobierific backstory, or what? I wonder what Mara's interest in hearing about his mother was -- just getting under his skin, getting information she can use against him, or is it somehow relevant to something?

Is there chance that Mara is an ancestor of Duke's?

I'm just glad they didn't have Duke get so drunk that he let Mara escape, which seemed like the logical conclusion.

....I had the feeling Duke was lying about his mother. The story was way too much of a Lifetime Movie. Too perfectly tragic and so unrealistic. I'd love it if he had been lying....

Agreed.

...But I liked how she [Audrey] used her lack of immunity this time.

Yes. Too bad they didn't just use that for a whole season instead of all these other seemingly red herrings of the supernatural (William and Mara and whoever and whatnot).

...It seems like the "triangle" has shifted somewhat (at least the way Mara tells it). Instead of it being both Nathan and Duke in love with Audrey, we've got both Audrey and Duke loving Nathan.

So I'm not the only one who saw that. Maybe they're just having fun with an idea that's not going anywhere? Edited by shapeshifter
So I'm not the only one who saw that. Maybe they're just having fun with an idea that's not going anywhere?

I don't think it's going anywhere or means anything romantically. That's just Mara being a jerk with a bit of schoolyard homophobia ("Ooh, you care what happens to him! You're gay and in love! He's your boyfriend!"), and Duke is way too cool and sure of himself to rise to that bait. But at the same time, I think that Mara realizes that Nathan is the biggest weakness of both Audrey and Duke since both of them will do just about anything to save him, and that's something she can exploit. There is also some possibility of conflict between Audrey and Duke over what's best for Nathan, and I'm not sure how much Duke now trusts Audrey, even in her new separated form. Basically, the way to undermine any united front presented by our trio is to mess with Nathan. Then the other two will get distracted in trying to rush to his rescue, and they may not agree about what's best to do on his behalf. She's done other stuff to try to stir things up, like spilling the beans about Colorado, but when that didn't work to put Nathan and Duke at odds, she switched tactics.

I'm wondering if she's trying to set Duke up as a kind of William 2.0 -- she's been trying to separate him from the others with these tactics and then was wanting to learn about his past. She's certainly up to something.

*buffs nails*

I have to hand it to whoever titled this episode. Exposure of secrets, exposure of photographs, and depending on what's going on with Dave's wound and the CDC, possibly exposure to a pathogen.

I sighed a little at seeing Seth again in the previews, but he made a great addition here. He had just the right amount of nerdy enthusiasm and tendency to ramble. One episode per season of him is probably the perfect amount.

Man, they are just doing everything they can to break Duke down this season. He's sounding more bitter and cynical with each passing episode, and I don't blame him. I just really want him to come out of all of this psychologically intact and relatively content. I am aware of how tall an order this is. As for the stuff about his mother, eh. It's believable, but it's not terribly interesting. Not that my theories were the height of genius (although I was kind of attached to the one about her coming from a Troubled family and only finding out later that Simon took care of that for her), but I was hoping for something more immediately relevant to the plot. And now I have to do some major rewriting on a couple fanfics.

My Australian is currently theorizing that Duke's 'mutant' Trouble is working out exactly the way Mara intended, and now he's a loaded gun. She was just expecting it to be easier to aim him where she wanted to. I'm not sure about that, but it sent me down a mental rabbit hole and got me wondering if William and Mara created the Crocker curse or if it was created in response to them, to clean up their messes. It would add another layer to Mara being so gleeful about mutating it when she reactivated Duke, turning her enemies' weapon against them.

ETA:

That's just Mara being a jerk with a bit of schoolyard homophobia ("Ooh, you care what happens to him! You're gay and in love! He's your boyfriend!"), and Duke is way too cool and sure of himself to rise to that bait.

I have to admit that I'm sort of loving this. I always get a kick out of antagonist characters responding to being physically powerless against the heroes by getting obnoxious and needling them in the most petty ways they can find.

Edited by Tabbyclaw

My perspective on this season is kinda screwed up. I'm really forgiving of a lot of things because I don't know how much longer the show will last. Its not the best show on tv but its my favorite. I'm kinda wondering like other people, if Audrey is intentionally being played a little different or if Emily is trying to get her groove back. Audrey seems so fragile and like she could blow away with the wind any second. It would make sense given everything Audrey has been through and the whole came from a trouble.

I find Mara interesting and even her interest in Duke entertaining, but I need the character to do something. Or maybe its a good thing that I'm dying to know what her plans are. I don't like the idea of Duke getting an Audrey consolation prize on principle, but I do enjoy the characters together. I don't know how I feel about Duke's back story. I guess I care about it more in how it might relate to his relationship with Nathan when they were growing up. And even now. I'm just really worried about Duke right now with the grieving and holding Mara prisoner

Nathan probably should be a little subtle when using his detective skills. He always reveals stuff unknowingly to killers. Nathan, the killer is right there. Nathan trust no one.

Just had a Haven mini-marathon and watched the last three episodes... could Nathan feel while he was a ghost? I didn't hear him say so, but he kept touching his face repeatedly during his conversation with killer ghost while they were looking at the Guard guy's shadow, and then when they were all blasted back to reality, he squeezed Audrey's hand before confirming that they were back, almost like he was checking that he couldn't feel her anymore. (I realize it could have just been Nathan comforting Audrey, but it was still weird.)

I haven't watched Supernatural in ages, but I was getting a total Sam-and-Dean-as-old-men vibe when Dave sprang Vince. Cute!

And Lara Jean Chorostecki (who seemed to be listed as LaUra in the opening credits, did anyone else see that or was I imagining things?) was so amazingly un-Freddie-like that it was freaky. And now I so want Lucas Bryant or Eric Balfour to be on Hannibal...

This show used to be my favorite.  I loved the first three seasons.  Last season was ...okay.  I enjoyed some of it, but the overall story arc suffered.  Once Lexie/Audrey came out of the Barn, everything seemed to go to hell.  There is not one Lexie or Audrey episode from last season that I would want to watch again.  I have watched Sins of the Fathers several times and there were a few others from the first three seasons.  Now...meh.

Season 4 went off the rails and now season 5 is somehow both annoying and boring.  I do not care at this point.  Sure, I'm going to watch until the end.  I'm still invested in knowing the ending.

I hope it picks up, but I don't have a lot of faith.

They seem to have sucked the mystery right out of the show. Seasons 1 through 3 had that air of mystery, you really wanted to know what was going on. Now you just want it to be over. Maybe the Mara/Audrey split should have happened in season 4 when she came out of the barn. We still don't know what Mara is, is she a succubus demon, a witch? The whole Audrey Parker split, is that permanent? Why is Audrey Parker so important to Haven?

And they still refuse to reveal anything about Nathan Wuornos.

There just doesn't seem to be that connection to earlier seasons, Duke's mother came out of nowhere, we're on episode 8 and nothing truly important has been revealed.

As annoying as I found Vince and Dave's secretiveness, it is what made them interesting and intriguing. I guess I don't like knowing that there are things they don't know. It's made them boring. Mara is also boring and ineffectual.

• Love 3

They seem to have sucked the mystery right out of the show. Seasons 1 through 3 had that air of mystery, you really wanted to know what was going on. Now you just want it to be over. Maybe the Mara/Audrey split should have happened in season 4 when she came out of the barn. We still don't know what Mara is, is she a succubus demon, a witch? The whole Audrey Parker split, is that permanent? Why is Audrey Parker so important to Haven?

And they still refuse to reveal anything about Nathan Wuornos.

There just doesn't seem to be that connection to earlier seasons, Duke's mother came out of nowhere, we're on episode 8 and nothing truly important has been revealed.

As annoying as I found Vince and Dave's secretiveness, it is what made them interesting and intriguing. I guess I don't like knowing that there are things they don't know. It's made them boring. Mara is also boring and ineffectual.

Exactly.  There is no excitement of discovery.  What is there to speculate on?  I mean, how many hours did I spend speculating on the Crocker boxes?  How long did I spend thinking about Nathan's years before he lost feeling again?  How many scenarios did I run about the day of the Colorado Kid's murder?  How much Barn speculation did I throw out?

Now it's all..Meh.  At this point, I don't even think they are going to address all of these interesting bits from the first three seasons. We are going to see Mara escape, Duke have to choose between turning Mara in and Nathan/Audrey.  Duke will choose Mara because he believes by doing that he can trick her into stopping the Troubles or revealing something or he's just giving her enough rope to hang herself.  Nathan will be certain Duke has returned to his old ways.  Audrey will try to have Faith in Duke.  Gloria will toss out one liners.  Dwight will save the day, and the Guard will put up roadblocks.  It will all end in some flash of light where we get images of the Audreys through the years, maybe a little flashbacky.  When it's over, we will at first not know if she's Audrey or Mara but it will be a newer, stronger Audrey with more knowledge than before or a total blank slate.  If Duke has survived the flashes of light and Mara trying to kill him bits, we will get a scene of him packing up the Cape Rouge and leaving Haven forever.  Vince and Dave will continue bickering.  Nathan will be able to feel and he and Audrey will strap on their guns, acknowledging that they are excited about investigating a regular burglary.  Dwight will have died.  The End.

*yawn*

• Love 2