Type keyword(s) to search

Castle By The Numbers: The Ratings Thread!

verdana

It looks like network TV was low all across the board, probably because of Valentine's. If Castle is back to 1.0/1.1 tonight we'll know it was a fluke. Although it's up against The Grammys, and even I'm going to DVR Castle (as someone who tries to watch it live if at all possible) because it's the easier one to watch after the fact.

It looks like network TV was low all across the board, probably because of Valentine's. If Castle is back to 1.0/1.1 tonight we'll know it was a fluke. Although it's up against The Grammys, and even I'm going to DVR Castle (as someone who tries to watch it live if at all possible) because it's the easier one to watch after the fact.

I don't know if the Grammy's will pull from Castle or draw from other sources.  We'll definitely record the Grammy's and fast forward through everything except some of the music.  For Castle, I predict a .9-1.0 rating.

If you're watching live for the sake of ratings, unless you have a Nielsen box, it doesn't matter if you watch Castle live or delayed.  If you're watching live so you won't get spoiled on the internet, that's another matter.

It seems more likely not a fluke, but putting a first run Castle episode (0.8/4.09) on Sunday night might just accelerate the drop in viewership given that Castle reruns on Sundays past don't perform well at all. Madam Secretary broadcasting on the same night (1.2/9.99) didn't help either for comparison purposes. The ongoing flashbacks to banter, fun times is not the answer to keeping people watching any longer. The fake separation continues to discredit the Caskett love story because the attempts to keep it secret have become really juvenile (e.g. nose rub). IMO.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 2

The bright side about the very special Castle Sunday's abysmal performance is that the ratings have no place to go but up tonight! Um, I hope.

Edited by TWP

TV Grim Reaper

‏@TVGrimReaper TV Grim Reaper Retweeted TVLine.com

100% of reapers say it's irrelevant

TVLine.com ‏@TVLine

55% say last night's #Castle was best of 2016's opening stretch http://tvline.com/2016/02/15/castle-season-8-recap-rick-meets-stepmother-rita/

TV Grim Reaper ‏@TVGrimReaper  3 hrs3 hours ago

#Castle ratings (0.9) tick up from Sun, but unless syndication $ can save it it's dead.

I'm not ready to declare this the last season just yet.  Monday's Castle beat every show ABC ran last night except Fresh Off the Boat.  If it's making money in syndication, I wouldn't put it past ABC to do what CBS did with H50 and ship it off to Friday's to keep them cranking out the episodes.  Not saying it's the right decision, but IMO if it's making money they'll try and keep it around in some form.

I wouldn't go by TVGrimReaper.  He's stuck on "Nielsen's are the only thing that matter", ignoring the fact that in this DVR / Hulu / On Demand age, live ratings are going to matter less and less to advertisers. That's why every show has hashtags -- getting a live Twitter following is the only way to get folks to watch live.   So if a show doesn't have a large Twitter presence, it doesn't matter that much what the Nielsen families watch.

As of now, Twitter is gaining ground, but live viewing is still what advertisers look at. So it is not as obsolete as some want to think. Add in ABC has a new president, and everything is up in the air. Whatever plans Paul Lee had no longer apply.

Time will tell where Ms. Dungey's priorities lie.

• Love 2

The reason live viewership counts more is that nobody watches the commercials on their DVR. And advertising revenue is the goal of television. Money talks.Nothing old-fashioned about that - it's a perennial concept.

• Love 5

And because of the current storyline, I wonder if syndication is taking a hit. I know absolutely there are episodes I won't watch, and Hollanders Woods is the current series finale for me. I think it's entirely possible this horrendous season will not do as well as others once it's in the syndication rotation.

Monday Overnights: Four Series Conclude for the Season (or Series)

ABC, meanwhile, scored a solid 6.1/ 9 in the household overnights for “The Bachelor” from 8-10 p.m., which increased by 22 percent from last week (where it competed with “The Grammy Awards” on CBS). “The Bachelor” should be more than enough to lift ABC to victory for the night in adults 18-49 (and the other key young adult demographics). But a 3.8/ 7 for older-skewing lead-out “Castle” (#2) at 10 p.m. is another reason why this should be its final season.

How can people not be watching Crazy ex-Girlfriend? Rachel Bloom is a treasure! And a strong supporting cast with pretty good backstories.

And the adorable Gina Rodrigues on Jane the Virgin?

These shows are so funny and smart and unexpected. Pfft. I'm off to stream Income Property just to calm down.

• Love 1

I don't usually read about ratings of any show, except for Castle.  But I noticed the other day that The Talking Dead (the show after The Walking Dead where they just talk about the episode) actually scored a 2.2.  A show where they just talk about an episode of television!  I know TWD gets massive ratings, but still...when you see how most network shows struggle to get anything near that.   I also noticed that the most recent Elementary got 1.1 and it's only in its 4th season and on CBS, so maybe comparatively speaking, Castle isn't doing so badly as an 8th season procedural on ABC.  I think there's just going to be a continual downward trend in ratings because fewer and fewer people, especially those in the demo, will watch TV live anymore.

Early ratings for 8x14

Blindspot                1.8/6.74M

NCIS LA®             1.0/6.20M

Castle                      1.1/5.68M

So Castle's demo holds steady and the live audience creeps up a bit from last week but as it was only up against a repeat of NCIS LA you might have thought it would have picked up more, when in fact more people still chose to watch NCIS LA.

Considering it was a Beckett-less episode, if they can hold a 1.1, I think ABC will be happy with that.

Other than Shonda's shows, ABC dramas are falling so fast in the demo Castle's pretty much in line with the rest of them at this point.

(edited)

Considering it was a Beckett-less episode, if they can hold a 1.1, I think ABC will be happy with that.

Other than Shonda's shows, ABC dramas are falling so fast in the demo Castle's pretty much in line with the rest of them at this point.

Well due to ABC's clever promo a lot of people might not have realised it was going to be a Beckettless episode, and in addition I think the carrot of clearing up Castle's disappearance (again) might have tempted some people, who might otherwise given it a miss, to tune in.

Edited by westwingfan
  • Love 1

Maybe, I just think the people who started out watching this year are in it until the end.  They've had a bad story-line, limited Caskett scenes, a long mid-season break, new characters, Stana Katic has taken time off, and the ratings have been steady.

I think most people have already stopped watching the show, so there is not that much lower to go. I do think there'd be a visible drop if they do a season without Stana and can't do misleading promos. Maybe not enough to stop ABC from trying it though.

I think most people have already stopped watching the show, so there is not that much lower to go. I do think there'd be a visible drop if they do a season without Stana and can't do misleading promos. Maybe not enough to stop ABC from trying it though.

They'd probably forget to inform the promo guy so that he kept including clips of her, like the guy who does the press releases and has gone back to describing Beckett as a detective. LOL

The thing is, the ratings have held steady since the beginning of the year.  Most people who started watching this year haven't stopped watching, with or without Stana.   At this point, they are at about the level of most ABC dramas with slightly more viewers.  I just think the show has taken on a life of it's own and it's doing enough to get a Season 9.  I hope Stana signs on, but if she doesn't I think the numbers + syndication will give them a season 9 if the rest of the cast wants to continue.

• Love 1

The thing is, the ratings have held steady since the beginning of the year.  Most people who started watching this year haven't stopped watching, with or without Stana.   At this point, they are at about the level of most ABC dramas with slightly more viewers.  I just think the show has taken on a life of it's own and it's doing enough to get a Season 9.  I hope Stana signs on, but if she doesn't I think the numbers + syndication will give them a season 9 if the rest of the cast wants to continue.

I meant I think they'll be a decline for S9 if it happens without Stana. ABC may decide the ratings will still be good enough for them, and that's their right. But I do think having a whole season without her will have a different impact than her not appearing in an isolated episode that most people didn't have a warning about.

I was agreeing with you that they probably won't change much for the rest of this season.

The thing is, the ratings have held steady since the beginning of the year. Most people who started watching this year haven't stopped watching, with or without Stana. At this point, they are at about the level of most ABC dramas with slightly more viewers. I just think the show has taken on a life of it's own and it's doing enough to get a Season 9. I hope Stana signs on, but if she doesn't I think the numbers + syndication will give them a season 9 if the rest of the cast wants to continue

I'm somebody who started the season watching and fully intended to see the series through to the end. I skipped Cool Boys and haven't watched the last four episodes. They're on my DVR and maybe I'll get to them, but I probably won't. I think the ratings are going to stay steady for the rest of the season. I think the viewers that are left are going to stick with the show until the very end, and the 1.1 rating is what it's going to be here on out.

I also think they are already making enough money in syndication that they don't need another season. It may no longer be cost effective to do another season if the ratings are not there in there.

Castle, once again, beat everything on Tuesday but Fresh Off the Boat.

My opinion - it will have a Season 9 and Stana Katic messed up by not being in every episode.  It will hurt her negotiating position.

If ABC decides that SK is not the draw and if she wants to pursue her film career, she could be signed on as a guest, only appearing in a few episodes a year.

I watch for the silly plots (liked the very silly Lanie storyline), banter, and NF, so that wouldn't bother me. Actually killing off the main character's wife would make the comedy hard to take.

My opinion - it will have a Season 9 and Stana Katic messed up by not being in every episode.  It will hurt her negotiating position.

How did she mess up and why would it hurt her negotiating position? I really don't know what would lead to such a case. If she wants to be in Season 9 (if there is a Season 9), I would assume everybody to be quite happy. Same for Nathan.

On another note, maybe Castle picks up a few more viewers (and translating to demo) when DWTS is back as a lead-in... Wasn't that always the case?

IMO - she hurt herself because the ratings didn't suffer when she was gone.  She left a door open and others jumped in to fill it.  Just my opinion - she shouldn't have missed a show completely to go on vacation (she has all summer to do that).   She should have at least made a small appearance.  Just my thoughts..

The ratings did drop for the Slaughter episode in the fall (which was publicized as being Beckett-less), just not for this latest one. I don't think you can really use ratings for a one-off episode as a measure for something like this though. If people didn't know she wasn't on they'd still watch and get counted. You need more than one episode to see patterns in ratings.

But we don't actually know it was her choice to skip the whole episode. Her contract was for every episode but also gave her a certain amount of time off (supposedly). It may have been the writers decision to skip a whole episode rather than give her reduced screen time in two episodes. No one here has seen the contract or is in the writers room.

On another note, maybe Castle picks up a few more viewers (and translating to demo) when DWTS is back as a lead-in... Wasn't that always the case?

It used to, but in the past couple of years it didn't make a difference.

• Love 1
(edited)

I doubt it was Stana Katic's call to make, to appear in the episode or not. I mean it could be, but from years of watching TV I gathered that it's not a simple matter — many people doing many jobs, many schedules being coordinated and adjusted. If she went off it means she got the all clear from TPTB, not vice versa.

As for ratings, it's one thing to not have Beckett in an episode, it's quite another to not have Beckett in the show at all. While I long have stopped shipping Caskett (around season 3 when I also stopped empathizing with the character of Beckett), I realize that for many people it's the main draw. Even outside of shipping, the impact of removing one of two main characters is too huge for any show — chemistry is a subtle thing, not only romantic chemistry but overall dynamic between characters. Especially with Castle which is decidedly NOT an ensemble show.

Edited by Gant
  • Love 3

As far as I know she got married and filmed two movies in the summer. She fullfilled her contract for 7 years. As a strong believer in freedom of contract negotiations I think it is everybody's right to persue what is best for him/her.

And she did appear in nearly every episode. I don't think the ratings prove anything as they have been down from the beginning. And as I said before, if you build your show arround two characters for so many years, people will probably watch because of them. Unless you have other elements compensating for it. Or change the formula.

• Love 2

The ratings have been steady - all the ABC shows are coming down to their level. :)

IMO - she's not big enough to miss a show.   No-one knows her outside of Castle - you can't miss shows at that level of fame.

Anyway, I'm done arguing,  JMO- she made a big mistake.

As far as I know she got married and filmed two movies in the summer. She fullfilled her contract for 7 years. As a strong believer in freedom of contract negotiations I think it is everybody's right to persue what is best for him/her.

And she did appear in nearly every episode. I don't think the ratings prove anything as they have been down from the beginning. And as I said before, if you build your show arround two characters for so many years, people will probably watch because of them. Unless you have other elements compensating for it. Or change the formula.

Isn't that the gamble TPTB could be taking by trying to carry on with only one lead. The assumption is that Nathan would be the one willing to soldier on alone, and there probably would be even less point to try to carry on with just Stana. The initial exodus occured before the season started so those that hung on are likely to stick it out for the rest of the season because, apart from the two episodes,  Castle and Beckett have featured in the rest, even if their shared scenes have drastically reduced. However, if ABC has to announce that S9 will only include Castle, assuming Beckett doesn't turn out to be the blind item so people would already know, isn't it likely that a large number of the current 5.5M who are currently still watching live would finally give up, either because they are Stana fans or see the Castle/Beckett relationship as the biggest draw. Someone pointed out that Nathan has a large number of fans, but if they are not already watching how many would flock to a show they have previously shown no interest in simply because Stana has left. 11M were still watching at the end of S5 and now we're down to around 5.5M so TPTB haven't got much to play with if they get it wrong.

• Love 3
You can't miss shows at that level of fame.

You can if that's what TPTB wants, and there's nothing to suggest that it wasn't the case here. I guess Tamala Jones is much lower on the food chain, and yet she constantly misses shows :) She might even take a vacation or two during her no-lividity periods (sounds like something zombie related but bear with me). In other words, my conclusions about TV shows always proceed from the assumption that everything begins and ends with the showrunners, unless there's a valid information that it doesn't.

• Love 1

You can if that's what TPTB wants, and there's nothing to suggest that it wasn't the case here. I guess Tamala Jones is much lower on the food chain, and yet she constantly misses shows :) She might even take a vacation or two during her no-lividity periods (sounds like something zombie related but bear with me). In other words, my conclusions about TV shows always proceed from the assumption that everything begins and ends with the showrunners, unless there's a valid information that it doesn't.

Even Dara Creasey agrees. LOL

Dara Creasey ‏@DaraCreasey Mar 5

This is good for fans of any show to see. 

Mo Ryan @moryan

#The100 fans, it's not accurate to say @OKBJGM killed off [x]. EVERY major plot point in ANY episode of TV = chosen & approved by showrunner

And is it a coincidence that the two solo episodes penned by Hawley this season have been the two that have not included Beckett, you could almost think he has an aversion for writing about her now, but I guess we'll never know for sure what instigated her being left out. I can't think it was to test the waters for a Beckettless show, because a couple of seperate episodes was hardly likely to provide viable feedback from the ratings alone.

"The whole is greater than the sum of its parts"

Does anything describe Castle better??

This episode demonstrated that better than any others have.

To be considering a show without Beckett is ridiculous - numbers be damned.

• Love 1

IMO - she hurt herself because the ratings didn't suffer when she was gone.  She left a door open and others jumped in to fill it.  Just my opinion - she shouldn't have missed a show completely to go on vacation (she has all summer to do that).   She should have at least made a small appearance.  Just my thoughts..

Due to ABC's deviousness promos for both episodes included a clip of Beckett, so most people wouldn't have realised that she wouldn't actually be appearing, in fact I'm not sure anyone knew for sure until the episodes aired. And of course Winter told TV Line on Sept 28 that "In every single episode, they do end up working together. They end up building theory together.", and that interview was published while they were in the middle of filming Cool Boys, so more deviousness?

• Love 2

Isn't that the gamble TPTB could be taking by trying to carry on with only one lead. 

I don’t see the nothing out of the ordinary here. It’s a business decision, there is always a bit of a gamble with new or modified products. If TPTB think it’s worth a try, why not?! It doesn’t hurt me as I have no obligation to watch it if it doesn’t entertain me in some way.

However, if ABC has to announce that S9 will only include Castle, assuming Beckett doesn't turn out to be the blind item so people would already know, isn't it likely that a large number of the current 5.5M who are currently still watching live would finally give up, either because they are Stana fans or see the Castle/Beckett relationship as the biggest draw. Someone pointed out that Nathan has a large number of fans, but if they are not already watching how many would flock to a show they have previously shown no interest in simply because Stana has left.

In theory, there are many ways how a show could go on with one lead character. I don’t think the audience is made of Nathan fans, Stana fans and Caskett fans who would abruptly change the channel when one of their favourites isn’t on screen anymore. They, of course, may come to the conclusion that the show’s new chemistry and content isn’t to their liking anymore and drop it. Like so many did before. I would give it a try both ways, Beckett- or Castle-less because I would be curious how the story continues, and I like the actors.

I feel the same way - I'd watch the show if either lead left just because I don't see why 200 people have to lose their jobs and benefits if one person wants to leave.  I'd give it a try either way. but I hope they both come back.

I feel the same way - I'd watch the show if either lead left just because I don't see why 200 people have to lose their jobs and benefits if one person wants to leave.  I'd give it a try either way. but I hope they both come back.

I get your sentiment and admire it, but the crew of any given TV series losing jobs does go with the territory in the line of work they are in. Eventually, it will be reality regardless.

• Love 6

I understand your sentiment but I'm not a charity, a show is meant to be entertaining, and if the entertainment doesn't outweigh the negatives it won't hold my interest and I'll try and find something that does. As I see it the onus on keeping the crew employed is primarily down to the showrunner to come up with a popular premise and supports that with quality writing and directing performed by good actors. If a show hooks me on a specific premise and I look forward to seeing certain actors it's not my fault if I move on when the show cannot deliver those things anymore.

Edited by westwingfan
  • Love 6

I get your sentiment and admire it, but the crew of any given TV series losing jobs does go with the territory in the line of work they are in. Eventually, it will be reality regardless.

Also, any show being renewed means that some other pilot doesn't get picked up as a series and a whole bunch of other people don't have a job. It's the nature of the business.

• Love 4