Type keyword(s) to search

Castle By The Numbers: The Ratings Thread!

verdana

Yeah, but it's different from 200 people losing their jobs and 200 people gaining.  Because of 1 person,  It's kinda different.

It's 200 people losing their jobs either way. It's just that some of those people have had the job longer than others. 

I mean, I get your point and I agree that it sucks for people to lose their job. And it must suck to be an actor and have to think about stuff like that when making their own career decisions. But it's what they all signed up for.

Honestly, I just want Castle/Beckett to have a happy ending. I really don't care about whatever else goes on behind the scenes. I know it's all about money, but there's also something to be said for going out on top and not ruining a story because you want to squeeze a few extra dollars out of something.   

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 3

Castle is produced by ABC and by Beacon Pictures.

Does the crew work for the show or are they assigned to the show?

If a show is cancelled, do the crew members continue to be employees of the production company?

Or are they freelance, like the actors?

Count me in as one of the ones who would start watching if they did a Fillion only spin off.  I have nothing against Katic at all, but this is not the show I fell in love with.  I know things have to change and grow, but these characters are unrecognizeable.  I started watching for Fillion and grew to really like Katic, especially they way she was shown to have insecurities but plenty of authority, while he had confidence/bravado and none of the authority.  Badass Beckett and Castle the Clown just doesn't jive with me.  The show used to be fun, and I think it would be again without Katic, not due to her but because she wouldn't be there for them to write her so much drama.  

As to how she disappears?  He's a writer.  There is no reason the last eight seasons couldn't have been a series of his books, and he becomes bored with Nikki Heat much like he did with Derek Storm.  It's a total cop-out, but it would eliminate the need for a death/divorce or a major separation, and there would be no need for a period of grieving, so the spin-off/S9 could be launched lightheartedly.  

Last night's episode was a 1.1 (there was a DWTS over-run - - it might adjust down)..  This should probably go under un-popular opinions, but I don't think it matters if Stana stays with the show or not. 

Thanks, steady as she goes, Castle will get a S9, the time for them to drop would have been when they came back after the Christmas hiatus that's usually when the show posts the lowest numbers of the season. 

Yep, if it was the end of line, the growly ABC announcer would be warning us about the last few episodes of Castle, so as to wring the last few advertising dollars out of an 8 year show. They would not miss that opportunity.

Season 9, here we come!

Edited by TWP

Unfortunately, they renewed the show when only Fillion was on board, with a plan of how to go ahead without Katic if she didn't sign on. I suspect he had a great deal more to do with Castle the clown than she did with pretty much anything. If it does come back with just him, I suspect they'll just move on to having his mother, daughter and hot female partner emasculate him more often.

Edited by Julia

Per the commenter at TV By The Numbers who posts adjustments (and has yet to be wrong) before finals are out, the episode dropped a tenth in finals. So, if right, the usual 1.1. At least it's steady and seems to be the show's floor, so to speak.

(edited)

The Cubs opener aired in Chicago last night rather than Castle (and I'm going to assume did much, much bigger numbers than usual for Castle), so I think that's why it looked up until it went back to steady.

Edited by pennben

Werent they all kind of saying so long last year at this time? Pretty silent on the tweet front. Do they know they are coming back?

Some sites of questionable reputation are claiming S9 is already a fait accompli. More curious is the fact that the database site used for episode names and details already has a link for S9.

Could all be jumping the gun - or, yeah, ABC soldiers on with another season.

(edited)

Some sites of questionable reputation are claiming S9 is already a fait accompli. More curious is the fact that the database site used for episode names and details already has a link for S9.

Could all be jumping the gun - or, yeah, ABC soldiers on with another season.

IF not jumping the gun, i wonder why no announcement. Do you think either way they'll wait until last minute to announce like last year? Edited by CastleSeason8

IF not jumping the gun, i wonder why no announcement. Do you think either way they'll wait until last minute to announce like last year?

The May upfronts for the Big 4 broadcast networks are always considered a big event. It would not shock me at all if ABC holds off until then to announce the show's fate.

Given the slew of early renewals by ABC, maybe they are holding off on an announcement for Castle for the upfronts, to be a big stage to announce "the farewell season Castle".

I'd love them to do that, state upfront season 9 is the last and at least attempt to go out on a good note and gear their storytelling accordingly (Caskett baby etc), I doubt they'll do that though, instead they'll keep flogging the dead horse.

• Love 1
(edited)

From Spec/Media Thread:

There was a big drop before season 8, but after the fall hiatus break this season, the live numbers initially dropped nearly 40% viewers from the season 7 fall finale. At that point, the live audience numbers were at a level where first run episodes reached lower numbers than more recent repeat episodes broadcast within the last year. That is stunning and not steady.

I thought we were talking about viewers retention this season. Your example just states that episode 10 (airing out of order) retained about 60 percent of the season’s opener.

To come to a more sound conclusion I would suggest to look at all numbers this season has to offer. If I go with the season’s opener as a reference point (although sometimes I think it’s better to flatten the first three episodes as a reference point because episode 1 is oftentimes the most viewed), I do get an averaging 88.3% viewers retention thus far and an averaging 91.2% demo retention. If I’m nice and eliminate episode 10 as a discordant value, I do get 90.3%/ 93.1%.

I used Demo and Viewers from this site. Their calculations regarding demo and viewers change seem a bit strange to me this season. Either it’s faulty or they are using a new formula.

There are certainly other formulas and other reference points to calculate retention. This is just a very easy way to do it. And of course I have no way to verify which viewers are new ones, old ones or just happened to watch one episode, so retention might be a bit misleading.

Edited by Sonik Tooth

I'm not sure how. When an established show is hemorrhaging half of the lead it's had for all those seasons, I can't imagine what direction they expect it to go in. It's not as if it's a mystery to anyone where to find it or what they'll find when they get there.

I wonder how much the decision is going to be dependent on both Nathan and Stana agreeing to return in some capacity....if it's hemorraging like it is with both leads this season I can't imagine how ugly it could get if they renew with just one....

• Love 1

But ABC is in a world of hurt. The Catch is performing even lower at 1.0, and other dramas aren't doing much better. So, low or not, I can see ABC renewing regardless of whether both leads return (I still say both are) as the show is an established brand and more episodes means more syndication money.

And money is what makes the TV world turn.

Ratings are so consistent with both Castle (1.1 for weeks) and Nashville (0.9 for weeks), that I'm starting to think Neilsen is just making them up.

But with the low ratings, I think that even Nashville is coming back.  ABC just doesn't have much available as replacements.

Ratings are so consistent with both Castle (1.1 for weeks) and Nashville (0.9 for weeks), that I'm starting to think Neilsen is just making them up.

But with the low ratings, I think that even Nashville is coming back.  ABC just doesn't have much available as replacements.

At the very least ABC should be giving the DWTS lead-in to a new show. It serves no purpose for Castle to have it.

At the very least ABC should be giving the DWTS lead-in to a new show. It serves no purpose for Castle to have it.

I am rather surprised ABC has never moved the show's time slot. I do agree that - at this point - the slot would maybe be better served with a new show. Makes me wonder if the new president of the network will keep status quo or if Castle gets shuffled to another night.

I am rather surprised ABC has never moved the show's time slot. I do agree that - at this point - the slot would maybe be better served with a new show. Makes me wonder if the new president of the network will keep status quo or if Castle gets shuffled to another night.

The best way to kill a show is move its timeslot. They clearly wanted Castle to stay around for awhile.

Edited by TWP

Castle is barely surviving in the slot after a show with ABC's highest viewership and fifth highest numbers in the target demographic. Castle's numbers have dropped by a third while DWTS held on to almost 90%. I can't imagine the network would pay for another season, especially one from the team that came up with this season's brilliant breakup plan, and then take a chance on viewers following it anywhere.

The timeslot shuffle unfortunately is almost always interpreted by viewers as "this show is terminal"  I don't think it is a solution to Castle's ratings struggles right now.

It's not about saving Castle, it's about giving another new show the chance to survive.

I really don't think Castle has any benefit to a good lead-in anymore, the audience is part of the furniture now

• Love 1

I think airing The Catch in Castle's timeslot that one week was probably a test of whether me shows could do better in that slot. But it was kind of a dumb test because it was a repeat.

Castle is on its last legs and it really doesn't make sense to waste a lead in like DWTS on a show this old. ABC needs a new hit. Also since Castle has been steady even when it aired after the Bachelor,why not see if they can move it and keep the 1.1 rating on Tuesday, where they haven't hit a number that high all season.

Ratings actually dropped to a 1.0/3 last night, compared to the 1.1 they've been getting all season.

Probably not enough to get ABC to cancel it though. A reduced fee for the show means lower ratings are tolerable.

Ratings actually dropped to a 1.0/3 last night, compared to the 1.1 they've been getting all season.

Probably not enough to get ABC to cancel it though. A reduced fee for the show means lower ratings are tolerable.

My guess is that the social media/internet user fan probably isn't a huge slice of the 6~ million audience, the casual fan probably won't realize until Beckett is dead and/or completely gone next season if there is one.

My guess is the total viewers drops to 4-4.5 million 2-3 episodes into next season.

Stana and Tamala can't be getting paid that much.  They were both pretty much unkowns when the show started. Either there is more cost-cutting going on or that was a big fat lie.

Castle is on its last legs and it really doesn't make sense to waste a lead in like DWTS on a show this old. ABC needs a new hit. Also since Castle has been steady even when it aired after the Bachelor,why not see if they can move it and keep the 1.1 rating on Tuesday, where they haven't hit a number that high all season.

This.

it will probably get moved to another night, Friday maybe, and then if the show fails, that will be blamed.

Final ratings for 8x20 1.0/6.03M

Six episodes have aired since the return of DWTS, the first three 8x15, 8x16, and 8x17 averaged 1.1/6.43M, the latest three 8x18, 8x19, and 8x20 averaged 1.0/6.02M, so maybe some of those who said they wouldn't watch the rest of the season are being reflected in these figures. 8x21 will probably continue at this lower level, but 8x22 could go either way as more might not want to watch Beckett's final moments on the show, while others are drawn by morbid curiosity. The half hour split for the finale could be interesting.

11 minutes ago, westwingfan said:

Final ratings for 8x20 1.0/6.03M

Six episodes have aired since the return of DWTS, the first three 8x15, 8x16, and 8x17 averaged 1.1/6.43M, the latest three 8x18, 8x19, and 8x20 averaged 1.0/6.02M, so maybe some of those who said they wouldn't watch the rest of the season are being reflected in these figures. 8x21 will probably continue at this lower level, but 8x22 could go either way as more might not want to watch Beckett's final moments on the show, while others are drawn by morbid curiosity. The half hour split for the finale could be interesting.

If ABC wanted to, I think that they could actually get a clear read from those ratings. They went in about a million lower than S7, I think, they declined over the course of the first half of the season, the episodes without Beckett were among the lowest ratings of the season, then, starting with 8x15 - the official reuniting - the ratings climbed again and then slid again after the announcement that Katic was leaving. While that slide may not be significant, I find that it's a clear enough downhill trend especially if I see all that is out there on the internet with it and pair that with the fact that many have said they will enjoy Beckett's last episodes and not come back for S9. But that's just me and I guess everyone sees what they want to see and if ABC wants to see "steady ratings" and ignore all the rest then that's what they're going to do.

2 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

They went in about a million lower than S7, I think, they declined over the course of the first half of the season, the episodes without Beckett were among the lowest ratings of the season, then, starting with 8x15 - the official reuniting - the ratings climbed again and then slid again after the announcement that Katic was leaving.

I doubt offliners still even know about Katic. And the show already did hit 1.0 once before. So I don't think it had to do with the announcement. ALL old shows fall. Age takes a toll.

But I do agree that ABC will do what it wants/needs to.

Castle 1.1 rating, 6.89m or so viewers (not that the latter matters for renewal).  Maybe the cancel contingent is helping the ratings....or more probably, we're just seeing the usual rolling blip where TV shows get or give a tenth.  NCIS-LA wasn't on, replaced by a POI episode and that may have had an effect.

Yayyy Castle.  Given ABC's track record, they'd be stupid not to renew.

Early ratings for 8x21, bounced back from the dip seen by the last three following the news, very nearly season high audience, most people still hanging on for Stana's final episodes, perhaps.

Castle                                    1.1/6.86M

Blindspot                               1.4/5.77M

POI                                         1.0/5.68M

3 minutes ago, TWP said:

Castle 1.1 rating, 6.89m or so viewers (not that the latter matters for renewal).  Maybe the cancel contingent is helping the ratings....or more probably, we're just seeing the usual rolling blip where TV shows get or give a tenth.  NCIS-LA wasn't on, replaced by a POI episode and that may have had an effect.

Yayyy Castle.  Given ABC's track record, they'd be stupid not to renew.

POI down a couple of demo points and 2M on NCIS LA so you could be right that Castle benefitted a little. Is trying to make sense of the ratings an art or a science LOL

6 minutes ago, westwingfan said:

Early ratings for 8x21, bounced back from the dip seen by the last three following the news, very nearly season high audience, most people still hanging on for Stana's final episodes, perhaps.

POI down a couple of demo points and 2M on NCIS LA so you could be right that Castle benefitted a little. Is trying to make sense of the ratings an art or a science LOL

Makes up for the apparently huge internet contingent that said they'll never watch again.

Very little science applies to why the ratings have their minor dips. It's probably a margin of error difference.

I, for one, am thrilled that they're doing no worse. 

1 minute ago, TWP said:

Makes up for the apparently huge internet contingent that said they'll never watch again.

Very little science applies to why the ratings have their minor dips. It's probably a margin of error difference.

I, for one, am thrilled that they're doing no worse. 

I don't really see the current ratings as any indication as to what a season 9 might attract. Maybe ABC have been reading tea leaves. LOL

• Love 1

Except all of the efforts to boycott Castle hasn't worked.  There's a difference between the super-fans who post online and the general public who like the show, watch it, and forget about it until next week.

2 hours ago, westwingfan said:

I don't really see the current ratings as any indication as to what a season 9 might attract. Maybe ABC have been reading tea leaves. LOL

Or doing focus groups, maybe.