Type keyword(s) to search

Castle By The Numbers: The Ratings Thread!

verdana

For comparison, the National Championship game scored a record 18.5 rating in the overnights, so that's likely a giant reason why things were down across the board.

But yeah, it does seem to be that the general trend of ratings is down. High 1s is fine now, whereas even two years ago that would have been a death sentence. I wouldn't be too worried, especially if Castle's ratings stabilize in the mid/high 1s.

I'm sure that the CFP game did affect those ratings, but I also noticed that a repeat of NCIS: LA, one of Castle's competition on Monday nights, did a 1.2 (why they switched it with Scorpion's timeslot befuddles me unless they're trying out the timeslot for a show doing well for them). Interesting that a repeat can do almost as well as a new episode on a competing network. But then again, I've felt for awhile that NCIS: LA may gain some ground on Castle over the course of this year. It already appeared to be late last year before the winter hiatus began. 

NCIS:LA beat Castle in their last head-to-head [winter finales] and NCIS:LA winter premiere [1/5/15 ] pulled in a 2.0 and nearly 12 million viewers.  I think they have gained ground on Castle. NCIS:LA is a better show, in my opinion. It doesn't solely rely on it's ship to keep viewers ... their supporting characters a fully realized and flushed out ... they do humor well + action and their case of the weeks are compelling and interesting.

Final was 1.6/7.43 (NCIS: LA was 1.7/10.35). Second in demo and tied with Better Call Saul (which may not matter because it's on cable, but it's interesting that it pulled the same demo numbers).

I watched the first episode of BCS Sunday night live and, while it's no Breaking Bad, it's still a great show in my opinion. Still need to watch last night's on the DVR. 

Hmm, I wonder if people are just back after the holidays/football craziness, or if they were just really interested in the return of 3XK. Either way it's nice to see it back to "normal".

I didn't watch Breaking Bad and don't intend to watch Better Call Saul and I know it doesn't matter because both were/are cable shows, but I'm kind of curious on how Better Call Saul's ratings compare to Breaking Bad's.

Looks good to ABC, I imagine.

And if you read the comments on that article, people are raving about it. That's the first time I've seen that in a long while, so it looks like it resonated. ABC must be happy about that.

Edited by McManda

That will be adjusted down in the finals later today. 

Half hour breakdowns were 1.8 in first half hour and 1.5 in second half hour. Also lost over half million viewers from first hour as well. 

ETA:

Final ratings: 1.6  7.61 million.

Edited by Samantha84

Even adjusted down ABC is probably pretty happy.

I didn't see the half-hours, but how did The Bachelor do? It's got that minute overhang, which is why Castle will adjust down. People tend to tune into the Bachelor now because they're getting down to the end.

The next episode will be interesting because it'll be DWTS's season premiere. No one really stands out as being must-see in the cast this season, but they're trying to draw people back in by "getting back to the basics", so there's a good chance people who have given up on the show already will tune in to see, at least for the first episode.

That's actually a pretty decent retention rate. And I know everyone will be saying that it doesn't matter, Castle should be able to stand on its own, yada yada, but this season of DWTS is shaping up to be pretty mediocre, so there's probably not going to be any help there. I imagine those ratings are going to go down over the course of the season.

The Night Shift looks to be pretty DOA. We'll see what happens when NCIS: Whatever Edition isn't a rerun.

For the first time (or at least as long as I have been checking weekly, which has been quite a while!) Castle has officially cracked the Top 25 in syndication ratings. Its weekend edition, but still. It joins the perennials i.e. Law & Order: SVU, Law & Order: CI, and Blue Bloods, amongst the crime-oriented shows. (Comedies also seem to do well here on the regular, especially Big Bang Theory. Surprise, surprise.)

I guess procedurals bring in the money.

L+7 Ratings: ABC Has 5 of the Week's Top 10 Biggest Broadcast Gainers in Adults 18-49 at TVBTN

Despite a number of its programs being in repeats during the week, ABC still had the most Top 10 playback gainers of any broadcast network among Adults 18-49: Scandal (+1.6 rating points) – #3, Grey’s Anatomy (+1.4) – #4, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (+1.2) – #5, Castle (+1.1) – #6 and Once Upon A Time (+1.0) – #9.

I agree with KaveDweller. The Blacklist and all the Shonda shows have declined in ratings this year. Although Castle's 18-49 rating is not so great it's still one of ABC most watched shows by total number of viewers.

Retweeted 9 times

The Cancel Bear ‏@TheCancelBear  18m18 minutes ago

For those keeping score at home, #Castle ratings (1.3 A18-49) tied the series low, and #NCISLA ratings (1.4) held at the series low

And from TV Guide's 50 top shows 2014-15 (not just 18-49):  Castle is ranked at 25, with a live+7days dvr rating of 12.4

Which is quite respectable. But, and I know it's unfair and sucks, the 18-49 rating seems to be all the networks care about and it is that that they look to to see what they consider "successful". Not saying Castle is in any danger, obviously. But ageism in ratings is alive and well.

ETA: Luckily for Castle, the 18-49 rating overall per the TV By The Numbers link above is 22. Not bad, considering its age!