Type keyword(s) to search

The Media: No Dipping In The Kool-Aid!

I'm not exactly sure if this constitutes media, per se, but there is a forum I frequently lurk on called "prison talk" where all aspects of prison life are discussed.  This is such a fascinating topic.

Here's the main forum list: http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php

My favorites are:

1. The wedding forum - replete with photos (in front of backdrops lol) :  http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126

2. Boyfriends/husbands in prison - because it's basically a REAL LIFE version of this show  http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44 

3. The regional forums - mostly because they discuss the different rules at different prisons - like dress codes :  http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32

AND OF COURSE: the casting call for this SHOW:   http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662636

• Love 3

An interesting thing (to me) on that forum was a poll about whether or not you think your partner was guilty, etc.  Most of the women either believe their spouse is innocent or that they got screwed at sentencing. Very few will admit "he got what he deserved".

• Love 1

The website for the original group idea (it seems): http://www.prisonwivesclub.com/ .  LaQuisha is seriously cray describing their "family" life.

Just stumbled across this and became ill: http://starcasm.net/archives/294217. Phillip is in jail for murdering a pregnant woman! If this article is correct I have just gone from thinking LaQuisha is sane and rational to that bitch is crazy and I don't even want to know she exists on TV.  She has the nerve to be pissed at her mother for talking shit about her? Knowing this, it's no wonder!

• Love 1

Thanks for getting me addicted to Prisontalk.com MrsSmartyPants!  Hours of entertainment.  My favorite topic is 'did your man get out and then leave you'.  So depressing how much these ladies revolve their lives around these guys.  They really should take up a cheaper and healthier hobby.

• Love 1

My pleasure Trampolina lol

It's such a FASCINATING look into a world that I would never be a part of.  

The best is to make a name and sign up for the forum so you can see the pictures.   Just make sure you use the same type of naming convention that the other ladies use.

IE: don't use "Trampolina" use "Tramp's Gurl 4 lyfe"   ;)

I think my name on there was like "CdawgsWifey" because my dog's name starts with the letter C.  I forgot it all so I need to re-register because it's killing me not to see the pics.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Oh thanks a LOT!   Most of the threads on that site seem old - but the info still applies, you know?

Now I'm reading about how dudes ask for Playstations and walkmans. 

Honestly?  These women aren't doing too well, themselves.  Most have TIGHT monthly budgets - and they're bitching about having 55% of what they put on their Boo's books going to restitution.  GOOD.  How about we think about the actual VICTIM in this shit !?  

Bae wants Twinkies?  Well, sure!  After he pays the poor little old lady he robbed $2.44 first.   and LOL @ Ramen noodles being $7 in prison. 

• Love 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW! not only do they have playstation, they have MP3 players and Cable channels. I use to send my Husband money every payday,but for the last year 1/2 I havent sent him a dime! And reason being, I wanted to see how real this marriage was,and you know what? His true colors came pouring out! Now I know I was just his hustle for the last six years,But I'm not mad, I get even! KARMA IS A B#^%& !!!!

Poor "Sparky's Wife" - this is what I expect to hear from Anna (on the show) once he gets out. 

• Love 4

I find the forum interesting and sad.  I don't look at the posts and think, "I'm better than them, I'd never allow myself to be in that situation."  Well, I probably wouldn't be in that situation, but a relative could.  Who knows what anybody would and could do?  

I think it would be pretty easy to get caught up in an inmate relationship because it's a way to feel loved and important without being abused. It's just too bad a woman has to go to these lengths to feel that way and a good many of these relationships are going to end very bad for these ladies. But in working with felons, I know how charming they can be and how they could suck in a woman that's not used to being treated well. Both this and 90 day fiance (Dani) show how far a woman will go to be with a man because society makes it seem as though a woman is nothing without a man.

• Love 3

I'm pretty sure I'll NEVER be a part of that world.  I'd never meet a man who's locked down.  I'm already married (11 years - so our conjugal visits would be immediate)

My husband commits a crime that puts him away for years?  Bye.  I'd leave.  Bye.   I'd be Phaedra (RHATL)  - and he KNOWS it.  I wouldn't be putting money on books or taking my kid to visit his dad behind a piece of glass. 

My kid? well, the topic of the show is prison WIVES not prison MOMS ;)

What I WOULDN'T do is pull a Jhemmen-eye, live the life then put everyone ELSE down about it. 

09-02-2013, 09:01 PM 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My man just had a shake down last week because he was over his allocated limit in a few things and the CO's took an extra pair of shoes and stamps etc. I feel really bad because we already spent $400 this month on phone calls and I can't afford to replace allthe stuff they took away from him, only the shoes...  he sounded really down-heartened and some of the other guys in the prison act like if the lady doesn't provide for everything then she isn't being a "good woman" thus making him feel like I don't care enough... Even though his Mom will send him money for these things he prefers ME to send it because it 'means more to him'... I really feel like he doesn't understand the concept of money, he's been inside for a while now. We don't have kids but I still have bills to pay as well as supporting my father... I am a waitress and paying my way thru college... I ride the train instead of buying gas, i don't buy luxuries for myself and i stick to a really tight budget just so that we can talk everyday. Not only that but he's buying stuff for his homeboy with our money because he feels bad for him... I don't know if he understands how much I am struggling. It really gets me sad because we have a beautiful relationship apart from this issue and I would hate for money to come between us... I just feel like I'm drowning.

This is the type of shit I don't get.   "we have a beautiful relationship apart from this issue" ... really !?   You are taking the train and making sacrifices on the outside for some fool on the inside. 

I can totally see Anna being this chick.  Believe it or not I think Jemmen-eye is too selfish for her to be 'taken'   - and that chick with Philip and the little girl - that poor baby.   I can TOTALLY see that chick giving her all to Philip and taking from her daughter or expecting the baby daddy to provide 100% so her money can go to Philip. 

• Love 1

I was just in meeting with one of my clients at his school and I thought I recognized one of the teachers from the show.  I then realized I recognized her from 90 Day Fiance but then it occurred to me that she lives in Ohio.  I'm too obsessed with these shows and I can't seem to separate them from one another...

Edited by Trampolina
  • Love 3

My pleasure Trampolina lol

It's such a FASCINATING look into a world that I would never be a part of.  

The best is to make a name and sign up for the forum so you can see the pictures.   Just make sure you use the same type of naming convention that the other ladies use.

IE: don't use "Trampolina" use "Tramp's Gurl 4 lyfe"   ;)

I think my name on there was like "CdawgsWifey" because my dog's name starts with the letter C.  I forgot it all so I need to re-register because it's killing me not to see the pics.

This reminded me of a very long time ago when I had to fill in as an operator for the phone company. We would handle the collect calls from prisoners. Except I could never say "This is the operator, I have a collect call from Jim, will you accept the charges?" because they all used their street names (a concept I was not familiar with at the time). So instead I would have to say "This is the operator, I have a collect call from T-bone, will you accept the charges?" . I found the whole thing so amusing that I started keeping a list of the names, but it's long gone. I still remember 'T-bone', though.

The funniest call, however, was from a prisoner whose lawyer wouldn't accept the charges. I thought he was probably screwed.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I posted this is the last episode thread, but it probably belongs here too:

I went searching and finally discovered that Kate and Ana both posted (between twitter and instagram) that the show is cancelled. Hard to believe it couldn't make Lifetime's standards.

I blame Jhemini.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I posted this is the last episode thread, but it probably belongs here too:

I went searching and finally discovered that Kate and Ana both posted (between twitter and instagram) that the show is cancelled. Hard to believe it couldn't make Lifetime's standards.

I blame Jhemini.

I blame her too. What a horrid bitch. It does make me sad they're not just gonna do a marathon rest-of-season dump on us though, at some weird hour and random day. I'll keep looking out, just in case.

• Love 1

I'd watch Jhemini and repeatedly say out loud, "is this bitch for real?" Surely, someone must be paying her to say stuff like that!

So cancelled it is. I was bummed when I woke up Wednesday morning and it wasn't on my DVR. And nothing for next week.

People may argue they shouldn't be getting paid for being with criminals and sensationalizing it, but all those housewives shows are worst most of the time. Some people in jail might have better morals and character than some of those housewives (I know, different channels), so I didn't see the big deal about a reality show about prison wives.

Bummed, was just getting into it.

I also don't understand why they don't just go ahead and air the remaining episodes.  What do they have to lose?  It's no worse than True Tori and it's infinitely more fascinating.

I don't get it, either.

They're already out all of the money for filming the show and, if I'm understanding it right, they did have an episode scheduled with a description but then just opted not to show that one or any other episodes.

Recently A&E must have had a real ratings stinker with Love Prison (although I loved it) because, lo and behold, after airing only 3-4 episodes, one Saturday morning there was a marathon of the entire series, including 3-4 first-run episodes.  I guess A&E decided to cut their losses, air it at some obscure time, and then just shelve it.

I think Bravo has done this once or twice.  If I'm not mistaken, that incredibly uninspiring Eat, Drink, Love got shuttled to a late night/early morning time slot, marathoned, and then Bravo cut their losses.  I was a huge Gallery Girls fan (talk about snarkalicious), but, if I recall correctly, Bravo did something similar with this little gem, too.  

But at least Bravo and A&E aired the shit and didn't leave anybody hanging.  

It kind of makes me wonder if something happened behind the scenes and they pulled it rather than deal with it.

I mean, it seems like cable shows are very slow to get the ax, and like mentioned above, often dump their remaining episodes.

Yeah, this might very well be it, because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense otherwise.

I did go back on their Facebook page to when they announced this show and there was a whole lot of anger going on about this one before it even premiered.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152421668029087

Still odd that they'd air a handful of episodes and then just unceremoniously snatch it from their lineup, though.  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 1

Anyone see the episode(couple years old) with Annika and Josh Powell?  This crazy woman dragged her kids all over the state to be close to her man.  Didn't want him taking any prison job because it would "interrupt their family time".  Wanted her kids to be adopted by said murderer and call him "Dad".

And to put the cherry on the ice cream, she talked about their "sexy time" over the phone.  Absolutely disgusting.

I have seen one or two women on this series that didn't seem so nuts, but almost all of them have some excuse for the guy; most of them put money on the boo's books and then talk about having to scrimp and save.

• Love 1

That's a different show (plain ol' Prison Wives), but I know the episode you are talking about. It was on recently and I was pretty disgusted. Every time her husband got moved she'd up and move with her kids to be closer to the prison. The kids called him Daddy and she got all pissy cos he was offered a job so he could make some (minimal) money. I think he ended up turning it down cos she flipped shit. And the phone sex.. UGHHHHH. Yuck. She is exactly the kind of sad sack I think of when I think of a prison wife.

• Love 2

I know the Annika show was a different show altogether, but I have to chime in on it, too. That was really the trademark episode of that series. She was the exact definition of what I would expect of a "prison wife" who met and married someone that was already incarcerated for life. I know this sounds harsh, and I'm not judging her as I’m no model myself, however she's not someone society would consider conventionally-pretty, but her husband, incarceration situation aside, is conventionally-hot (at least, if I just saw a pic of him and didn’t know the situation, I'd think he was hot). In the real world, she probably wouldn't get a guy like that, assuming he was a contributing member of society and not a criminal. However, with him incarcerated, she can have the “hot” guy, which I’m sure makes her feel good, and he’s attracted to her at least some of the time, judging by their phone call, but not have to worry about other women. When she was on the phone with him, and knowing that she was being filmed at that very moment, he was going on about wanting “nookie”, I was mortified. She, however, thought it was cutesy, and was holding the phone out for the cameras and all of America to hear how her hot husband wanted “nookie” with her (and the mental images that conjured up of what “nookie” consisted of for them are nothing too pretty). Never mind that her children were nearby (possibly in the same room, it’s been a while since I’ve seen the episode), and are probably to this day made fun of at school for that. My husband and I are in our 30s, married for 5 years and have a biological child, so I’m fairly sure people know that we’re not virgins, but I’d be humiliated if he spoke to me like that for the world to see, and I’m no prude. Her judgment was a bit unconventional, anyway, because:
1. It might not be a good idea to uproot your children repeatedly to follow your incarcerated husband around the country
2. It might not be the best idea to let a convicted murderer, who’s doing life in prison without the possibility of parole, adopt your children
3. If you’re on a very limited budget in the outside world, and your husband has a chance to take a job and help himself, thus, alleviating some of the burden you feel to provide for him financially, it might be a good idea to support the job, rather than worrying about “family time”
If that dude ever sees the light of non-prison day, he’ll never speak to her again. I actually wouldn’t be at all surprised if he had several women taking care of him. He just reeked of a guy who wanted to be taken care of and paid attention to, and he didn’t care whom it came from. I didn’t get the feeling that he thought Annika was anything special, or that he had any deep fairy-tale Tori & Dean-type love for her. 

Back to this show, I saw a lot of Annika in some of the women on this version of the show. The whole “it sucks that our fairy tale love got interrupted by the silly justice system – he didn’t mean to kill/beat/rob/rape anyone, he told me himself, so I’m sticking by my man” syndrome. Both shows are just fascinating, and I wish both of them would get revived. I know Jhemini was a straight-up snobby bitch, but I kept watching her, trying to figure out how someone with that healthy self-esteem she was sporting, who was actually a very pretty girl, would settle for someone who was incarcerated. I’m sure that until other guys got to know her wretched personality, they’d be all over her, buying her stuff (which I’m sure she’d consider important) and giving her whatever she wanted. I’d much more see her being a trophy wife than a prison wife, and I never could figure out what it was that made her choose that life. Just fascinating all the way around.

• Love 2

In the real world, she probably wouldn't get a guy like that,

Exactly what I thought.  If that guy was on the outside he would never look at her twice.

And it's come out fairly recently I think that yes, he DID have other "supporters".  Typical con scam.

• Love 1

Oh, I love follow-ups, blubld43 - thanks for the info! Not surprised at all. The only surprise is that he allowed himself to be filmed, because other women might see that and realize that he's not the wonderful guy he's convinced him that he is.

• Love 2

I added topics for the last three shows and was looking forward all day to coming home and firing up the DVR. Did they show them? I have nothing on my DVR and it's been acting up lately so I don't know if they moved it again or my DVR crapped out on me.

I had the last 3 epis on my DVR when I got home.  Lifetime played them around lunchtime, I think.

Damn it!! I knew it must be my DVR - it didn't record anything Wednesday or Thursday either. Someone give me a quick rundown! 

Here you go, ExplainItAgain.

Ana's mom came to visit.  Ana didn't pick her up at the airport, have her stay at her digs or tell her that Michael is actually in prison rather than just working there.  She did, however, take her on the Seattle Duck tour.  In all fairness, she did eventually tell her mom the truth and her mom seemed relatively okay with it.  Mainly because Michael doesn't beat Ana.

Carlo (Kate's husband) has horrific taste in cars.  He has a particularly awful green 1995 Caddy something that has been pimped out to the max, with a whopping (and oh so needed) 10 television screens.  And a PlayStation because we all know that you can't possibly drive anywhere without a PS.  Given that the car has been sitting in a garage or storage since Carlo's inCAR(he)ceration, he and Kate decide that it should be sold so the  money can be their nest egg.  Kate finds, however, that there are far more people with automotive taste than without.  She does go to a pawn shop of sorts and replace the wedding ring that she sold pre-show.

LaQuisha finally gets to do the down and dirty with her husband, after getting a mani/pedi, her lashes and her "Suzy Q" done.  Preparation is everything.  She even takes her daughter with her for this weekend or whatever visit, with her 10 year old daughter helpfully saying that she will go outside and play when the sexy time happens.  Ewwww.  She also informs us that she and Phillip want to have a baby (say what now?) and they are not going to use birth control.  Excellent plan given that an episode or two ago she was telling us she could barely pay the rent.  LaQuisha also gets her first tattoo - - one on her breast that has her name, Phillip's name and their wedding date.  Never a good idea.  LaQuisha's ex-husband is totally pining away for her.  According to LaQuisha.  But Terrell needs to realize that she is over him and Jailbird Phillip is her one and only.  I think LaQuisha is nuts because Terrell seems like a nice guy.  And he's a free man, so there's that.  LaQuisha plans a lunch date with her mom, who is pissed that  her daughter married a prisoner, but her mom stands her up.

Jhemini and her mother in law hate each other.  Personally I think Jhemini should hold a grudge against the parent that spelled her name the way it's spelled but that's just me.  She reveals to her MIL and us that she had some type of cyst situation at 24 and therefore may not be able to have children.  They have a quasi-heart to heart on the beach with matching coffees before Jhemini stomps off because she wants to be Michael's #1.  Her friend Bianca goes to jail for a domestic charge (against her own husband) but Jhemini chooses not to bail her out ($5,000!) and lets her sit in jail overnight.  Jhemini also has an appointment with SMG (Seattle Modeling Group) and she already begins to plan her escape from Seattle, envisioning herself getting top modeling jobs in NY and LA.  If that happens, she tells us, Michael is history.  Unfortunately, reality comes to pay a visit when SMG tells Jhemini her 25 year old self is too old to be starting out in their biz.

Ana gets a bachelorette party thrown for her by the gang, complete with a penis cake, rented lodge and stripping bartender after her Michael gets a new sentencing that grants him the possibility of parole.  She begins to contemplate what it will mean if he actually comes home.  She decides that maybe she should be looking for a "real" job and their own place, versus her current roommate situation.  Her mother sends her the wedding dress she chose earlier in the season.  We do get to see a portion of Michael's hearing and Kate accompanies her to it. 

Unfortunately there are no updates as to whether or not Michael has gotten parole, if LaQuisha is knocked up, if Kate managed to sell that Gumby mobile or what time it was that Jhemini dumped Michael.   

They need to give us another season!

• Love 4

I was surprised the other day when I had 1 episode on my DVR. Watched that (it was the yoga retreat). Then, like everyone else, came home yesterday to the final 3. Going to watch this weekend.

Now, if they only did the same for I Wanna Marry Harry, Neighbors With Benefits and 8 Minutes, I'd feel complete.

Oh noes, EIA!  I've had that happen, too, and it's SO annoying.   In fact, I had two season finales this year that wound up in my DVR History section with the helpful notation "Did Not Record."  Umm, yeah, tell me about it. 

So, Psychoticstate, good job, thanks for the recap.  Unlike EIA, I have the three hours recorded, but I guess I won't waste time following these women a little longer along their path and then be left wondering, again.

Sounds like Jhemini won't be a supermodel anytime soon, but I wouldn't put it past her to claw her way onto another reality show.  Let's meet back here then.

Bye!

• Love 1

Sounds like Jhemini won't be a supermodel anytime soon, but I wouldn't put it past her to claw her way onto another reality show.  Let's meet back here then.

Bye!

It's a date!

• Love 1

I did a quick inmate search on the Washington prison system site and there is a Michael D Harris still listed as an inmate at Monroe Corrections Center. I am not sure if that is Anna's Michael, since it's a pretty common name...but the site doesn't give specific info, only a link to the prison's site. So....he's probably been denied parole thus far.

On 7/1/2015 at 7:19 AM, fliptopbox said:

I did a quick inmate search on the Washington prison system site and there is a Michael D Harris still listed as an inmate at Monroe Corrections Center. I am not sure if that is Anna's Michael, since it's a pretty common name...but the site doesn't give specific info, only a link to the prison's site. So....he's probably been denied parole thus far.

He did get released .