Type keyword(s) to search

"The Colbert Report": Week of 10/13/14

10/13 WALTER ISAACSON - Author, “The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution”
10/14 NEIL YOUNG - Author, “Special Deluxe: A Memoir of Life & Cars”
10/15 JUSTIN SIMIEN - Director, “Dear White People”
10/16 BILL DERESIEWICZ - Author, “Excellent Sheep; The Miseducation of The American Elite & The way to a Meaningful Life”

• Love 1

It's 100% dudes on both TCR and TDS next week. It's interesting to me that "@Midnight," which is a panel show featuring comedians -- talk about a traditionally male world -- strives to feature at least one female on every panel, while TDS and TCR -- which can draw from the entire world of actors, newsmakers, authors, activists, etc. -- often go for several days with no women guests.

• Love 1

I don't notice it as much on TDS because it seems like they balance it pretty well and will have weeks, even consecutive weeks, where women outnumber the men. They do a little better with guests of color, too, but I wish both shows would pick up on that. And guests from the LGBT community, especially transgender guests. Stephen had on Janet Mock, I know, but has TDS ever had a transgender guest?

(I've only seen previews for @Midnight during TDS and TCR. Is it any good?)

Loved Death giving him the finger.

Some lines I liked - "Covering the midterm elections is like watching people dry." "All the charts in Colorado now look like a recently lit joint."

Oh, and the video of the chihuahua getting a neck massage was adorable.

That was pretty embarrassing for Michele Obama.  I haven't seen anything else on it.  Is the Right having a field day about it or ignoring it?

I am so going to miss this show.  Sigh.  Only 32 more.

I was waiting for the bride to be to say "I love the Louie Gohmert". I was also waiting for Stephen to introduce the line of Republican douches, and he did not disappoint.

Neil Young and Stephen make a perfect odd couple. Stephen's addition to Neil's song oddly worked.

• Love 3

Google undersizes Stephen by one inch? BASTARDS!!!

Pope Frankie would make wearing adamantium claws look cook, I betcha.

The only personal question Sean Hannity needs to answer is: "Why are you such a lying, treasonous turd?" I love how Stephen just verbally pants Hannity every chance he gets.

Stephen should have, at least, had PK Winsome in his collage of him with African Americans.

• Love 1

That was an interesting story from the NYT journalist. The most interesting part wasn't about the existence of the weapons, but of the experience and treatment of the soldiers. 

I much preferred Stephen's take on Fangate more than Jon's. 

I thought the author of Excellent Sheep had informative things to say, but there was too much talking over each other. Stephen interrupted a lot, and the author did not stop talking. He wanted to get his point out, and I for one wanted to hear him.

• Love 1

Damn, has another week already gone by? This year is winding down way too quickly on this show. I feel a little like Sam watching Frodo's ship sail away.

I much preferred Stephen's take on Fangate more than Jon's.

Same here. It was just the right amount of the absurd without belaboring the joke.

Edited by Fremde Frau
  • Love 2

I thought the author of Excellent Sheep had informative things to say, but there was too much talking over each other. Stephen interrupted a lot, and the author did not stop talking. He wanted to get his point out, and I for one wanted to hear him.

I had a different impression. I thought Stephen made him look foolish without necessarily setting out to do that. In any case, I'm a little skeptical that the problems with the selfishness of the leadership class are because those folks weren't allowed to "find themselves" as undergrads.

• Love 1

So, interesting (and perfectly obvious) that Fox news would only report on "finding WMD" and not on the fact that these were not the WMD we were told about to justify the war post 9/11, but the ones our own country gave to Iraq 20 years earlier.

• Love 1

I thought I was the only one who remembers Ann Richards!

Loved Al Madrigal's work the most.

Not all states allow mailed in votes. Here in MA, I have never had to show ID, but you can only vote absentee (mailed in) if you are going to be out of state on Election Day, or have a disability that prevents you from going to the polls, or a religious reason you are prohibited from being there.