Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: I Believe The Children Are Our Future

• Start Topic

A young boy connected to mysterious deaths and injuries is revealed as important in the Apocalypse.

There's some good silly fun in this episode, but the shift between screwball comedy and over-wrenching drama is just too much for me to stomach in one episode. There's just no balance, IMO, which is common for most Lofflin/Dabb episodes. I always wonder who the "funny" one was of the two.

Anyhoo, the idea of the Antichrist was interesting and I think they put an interesting twist on it. I liked the kid that played Jessie and I generally enjoy seeing Ever Carradine. And Dean's childlike joy throughout the episode is fun. But, I think the Tooth Fairy guy is my most favorite parts of this episode!

• Love 2
But, I think the Tooth Fairy guy is my most favorite parts of this episode!

And I love the little girl's reaction to the thought of the tooth fairy. Supernatural may give us creepy children, but they can also come up with some adorable moppets, and this little girl was one of them.

I also agree that the kid who played Jessie was good and I enjoyed the character. I do agree that the episode did become abruptly heavy, although I did like Sam acknowledging that he had made the wrong choice and he hoped that Jesse could make the right ones and felt he had to give him the chance to do so. Though I was a little disappointed in Castiel that he didn't fess up about his own wrong choices, since that would've been the perfect time for him to do so (as another example for his argument of people making the wrong choices.)

The woman's story was tragic though, but the episode did make me feel for her, so it did do that. I also liked many of the details in the episode, including the giant, scary tooth fairy. Hee.

• Love 1

This episode went dark faster than I expected, which I liked. And Jesse was an interesting concept and the kid did a great job. I know they wrapped him up by acknowledging that he could never be found again because he was that powerful, but I am surprised that there aren't more kids like him around, if that's how they can get made. Also...I kind of hope we see  him again in a penultimate episode of some sort. He's too good of an idea to just drop.

• Love 1

I know they wrapped him up by acknowledging that he could never be found again because he was that powerful, but I am surprised that there aren't more kids like him around, if that's how they can get made.

I know, right? If all you have to do is possess a woman and get her pregnant to make this most powerful weapon, why haven't the demons tried to do it more often? Yeah, they really need to revisit this idea, I think.

• Love 1

Well, it'd be the antichrist, maybe they have tried but the host tends to explode during delivery? Or the demons are not very good at keeping the host alive for long enough, hence the baby dies? The things this show makes me write.....

• Love 3

Well, it'd be the antichrist, maybe they have tried but the host tends to explode during delivery? Or the demons are not very good at keeping the host alive for long enough, hence the baby dies? The things this show makes me write.....

Or slain by an angel.

I thought it interesting that a demon spawn could be more powerful that the demon itself.  And yeah, you'd think there'd be more of them out there.

It would be nice if he comes back to help Sam at some point because Sam had faith in him to do things right.  And that's possible because Dean made up with Sam earlier than he might have otherwise because Dean went back to the future.

• Love 3

I like the concept of the urban legends coming to life. Much better use of the concept than "Hook Man." Nice reminder of the tricksters here. I love Dean's nervousness as he makes sure he's not being watched for "his face froze that way." Dean's hairy palm and "do not use my razor!" At least the Antichrist checks ids. Love Dean convincing him of the joy buzzer not working and testing it on Sam. Nice to see Dean risk Sam's life on a hunch instead of the other way around for once.  Why'd that stupid demon just leave rock salt lying around? I like Castiel pointing out that Sam didn't make the right choices when given them. I like Dean's attempt to convince him they're going to X-Men school, but I like it more when they talk honestly and respectfully to him in the end. 

Jesse the Antichrist would be 19 now. I kind of want to add him to the list of kids who need to come back as adults. He was a good child actor.

• Love 5

I don't think Amber was sitting close enough to the tv.  She had a couple more inches she could have scooted forward.  ;)   (I felt bad for thinking that after she ended up dead.)  

Dean's hairy palm was gross, and then Sam adds "you know you can go blind from that, too!"  Lol.

Sam and Dean first meeting Jesse and their interactions with him were cute.  I really liked Jesse: smart kid.  Figurine Cas was probably funnier than it was supposed to be.   I, too, would like to see Jesse back.  

• Love 2

this episode's atmosphere was pretty low-key which was actually pretty refreshing. now that i think about it this is the first kid sam convinces to go to "the good side", which i think could be a little redeeming on his part since he feels he failed max. jesse's actor was very good, but what i found even more amazing was to find dalila bela from odd squad as the little girl who believed in the tooth fairy. she's a good actor as well, she played anne's friend from anne with an e as well. i hope she gets more play as time goes on. and she's 16 already! wow kids grow fast.

anyway that's leading off.

only 6 episodes in so i guess i can understand, but already the blame the sam game is starting to slightly get on my nerves. when cass said "You didn't" at sam referring to him going dark i probably had the same feeling he did. he knows what he did and has not made a single excuse for it, what more do these people want?

i don't understand the whole hair on the palm thing with dean. in fact at first it terrified me because i thought the town has turned him into half werewolf. and then dean's "What? She was hot" only confused me further so i basically see that scene as a waste of time.

i liked how the demon barging in rudely (as demons are) backfired badly and in the end was cast out of the woman, LOL.

i also liked how they treated jesse as a normal person because dean's patronising was really getting on my nerves. i hate it when people patronise kids and old people, just talk to them normally FPS.

and yes all of you may find me weird but i absolutely adore that police car detail of the siren going past the brothers at the end of the episode. only anime is that derailed most of the time.

oh and i've been thinking this a very long time: can anyone let me know if they are actually driving the car or not? sometimes it looks like they are and sometimes it doesn't.

1 hour ago, Iju said:

when cass said "You didn't" at sam referring to him going dark i probably had the same feeling he did.

I was thinking "Sam's not the only one who made a bad decision there, Cas." Considering Castiel was the one who let Sam out of the panic room, and his admitting that would've actually been a good example for his side of the argument that people can make bad decisions, I was a little disappointed in Castiel there.

1 hour ago, Iju said:

i don't understand the whole hair on the palm thing with dean. in fact at first it terrified me because i thought the town has turned him into half werewolf. and then dean's "What? She was hot" only confused me further so i basically see that scene as a waste of time.

It's one of those things that every once in a while the show manages to slip by the censors... In the same vein as "your face will stick like that" it's a veiled reference to an old wives tale concerning Dean having some alone time with his own hand after being inspired by the pretty nurse... Dean's just lucky it was the hairy palm wives' tale and not the "you'll go blind" one. However poor Sam - hee - because Dean is for sure going to use Sam's razor to take care of that problem.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Iju said:

Just to expand on @AwesomO4000: There's an old cautionary tale adults used to tell boys of a certain age that they'd grow hair on their hands if they touched themselves inappropriately. It's another lie adults told children to scare them so they wouldn't engage in certain activity. I don't think it gets much play these days, but was fairly well known back in the '80s. 

These first few seasons of this show has a sort of time warp quality/timeless quality about it. The music, a lot of the pop cultural references and such are from the mid-'80s--which is the childhood of the show creator, Eric Kripke--but yet it still feels like a show of it's time. It's a really interesting duality to the show that I really like.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Iju said:

oh and i've been thinking this a very long time: can anyone let me know if they are actually driving the car or not? sometimes it looks like they are and sometimes it doesn't.

Forgot to comment on this. Basically, it depends on the scene. They have a couple different cars that are set up differently for different scenarios.

Night time driving scenes are generally shot on their very, very elaborate poor-man's-process stage that's apparently gotten so elaborate over the years that other productions come to look at it to see how it's done. They have a car that comes totally apart to get whatever angle they want, but it is on stage, so they aren't actually driving then.

Sometimes they're being towed with the camera and crew on the vehicle in front of them and, sometimes they are just driving with cameras mounted on the side and front of the car--over the years the crew has gotten really good at rigging the car so they can do more natural driving without needing to be towed and such. They also started mounting cameras into the back seat so they could get those over-the shoulder shots when they're driving in later seasons. 

You'll also notice, in a much later season, they started using drones for some really cool exterior shots too and in those instances they are really driving.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

hello everyone, sorry for the late reply, as i wasn't on the site for a couple of days. i wasn't ignoring anyone!

On 3/31/2018 at 3:32 AM, AwesomO4000 said:

It's one of those things that every once in a while the show manages to slip by the censors... In the same vein as "your face will stick like that" it's a veiled reference to an old wives tale concerning Dean having some alone time with his own hand after being inspired by the pretty nurse... Dean's just lucky it was the hairy palm wives' tale and not the "you'll go blind" one. However poor Sam - hee - because Dean is for sure going to use Sam's razor to take care of that problem.

lol that's rather funny, but what the heck? who told jessie that for him to make it true?!? :o

On 3/31/2018 at 1:56 PM, DittyDotDot said:

Forgot to comment on this. Basically, it depends on the scene. They have a couple different cars that are set up differently for different scenarios.

Night time driving scenes are generally shot on their very, very elaborate poor-man's-process stage that's apparently gotten so elaborate over the years that other productions come to look at it to see how it's done. They have a car that comes totally apart to get whatever angle they want, but it is on stage, so they aren't actually driving then.

Sometimes they're being towed with the camera and crew on the vehicle in front of them and, sometimes they are just driving with cameras mounted on the side and front of the car--over the years the crew has gotten really good at rigging the car so they can do more natural driving without needing to be towed and such. They also started mounting cameras into the back seat so they could get those over-the shoulder shots when they're driving in later seasons. 

You'll also notice, in a much later season, they started using drones for some really cool exterior shots too and in those instances they are really driving.

thanks for this, i really appreciate it!

On 1/6/2015 at 5:35 PM, supposebly said:

Hehe. Maybe the demons are just that bad at body maintenance. They aren't known for their patience and this one didn't exactly engage in non risky behavior with the stabbin' and the murderin'.

On 11/11/2015 at 8:20 PM, lmdreamer said:

I just hope that sam and dean gave the poor birth mother a ride home. Talk about awkward.

Ah man, she would 100% be blamed for a kidnapping if they figure out who she is. 

On 3/31/2018 at 2:32 AM, AwesomO4000 said:

I was thinking "Sam's not the only one who made a bad decision there, Cas." Considering Castiel was the one who let Sam out of the panic room, and his admitting that would've actually been a good example for his side of the argument that people can make bad decisions, I was a little disappointed in Castiel there.

This. It irritated me that Cas, of all people, blamed Sam who might have made better choices if he had been permitted to complete detox. Hey, Cas, you were part of the plan to actually cause the apocalypse, you let Sam out upon orders by people who wanted him to do exactly what he did and you delayed getting his brother to him. His brother who may have gotten through to him. Who actually did get Sam to stop for a minute. So, maybe acknowledge that the choices Sam made were engineered by your boss. Just saying.

Agree with everyone on the tone shift. This almost felt like two different episodes. Both were good, but the shift was abrupt.

The story of his conception and birth was pretty awful. It's one of the things that makes me uncomfortable about Castiel using Jimmy's body for sex, which first came up a few episodes ago. The violation is awful.

Just once, it would be nice to have an adopted kid who isn't demony or murdery. I mean, I get the adoption being relevant to the story. It just frustrates me for my kid. At least this kid was awesome. I am saddened by the spoilers above that he doesn't come back. I really liked the actor and the concept.

Castile's plan was so jacked up. Those poor parents would have woken up to a murdered son thinking they slept through it. He deserved to be action figured to think about what he had done. Lol. 

• Love 1

The actor who played little Jesse, the Antichrist, is all grown up and still acting.  I just saw his name listed in the cast of "Joker 2:  Folie a Deux"