Type keyword(s) to search

Star Wars Rebels - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Other than getting a little bit of background on Sato, something that I've been hoping for, an otherwise forgettable episode. He may have some history with Thrawn. Surprised at no A-wing losses. The fact that only two came with each group could hint that Phoenix Group's losses are starting to mount. Also, all of the Iron Squadron characters were named after Lucasfilm employees. Gooti Terez was named after 'Rebels Recon' host Andi Gutierrez.

• Love 1

Didn't we just have Wedge Antilles joined the crew?  Why not flash a few episodes on him?  Who cares about the snooty kids who were dumb enough to not know their own limitations?

Although my favorite thing in the ep was Sabine educating the kids about Star Destroyers.  "No, that was a Transporter"  "No, that was just a Small Cruiser, Star Destroyer is 6 times that."   Also the payoff at the end when the kids' jaws hit the floor upon seeing a Star Destroyer almost made it worth watching this filler episode.

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 1

Behind on my commenting...!

Imperial Supercommandos: like Ezra, it seems, I've never been a big fan of the Mandos,  but this was a decent episode. I liked Sabine engaging with Fen Rau and trying to make a connection with him due to their shared heritage and I loved that she finally freaking got her jet pack! I definitely think we will see Gar Saxon again later this season, especially if we might eventually be finding out who Sabine's mother is. Liked Sabine and Ezra working together and using their brains (and also their brawn) to get out of the situation.

Iron Squadron: not my favorite episode, though I am trying to remember that this show isn't necessarily aimed at my age group (aka not a teen). I don't care about another care of kids taking on the Empire, I want to see OUR group take on the Empire. Nice getting a little more background on Sato, but again, hardly seemed worth it. I'm glad Ezra obeyed his orders and left Mart, even if they did come back and rescue him later. I did like the end with kids being shocked by an actual Star Destoryer... but I think I would have preferred seeing Ketsu or Wedge again rather than adding these new characters. When Zeb spoke in the preview for next week (at the end of Rebels Recon) it reminded me how little we've seen of him this season!

• Love 1

ANOTHER Hondo episode???  Did we really need one entire episode for Ezra to learn that Hondo was a scum ?  Moreover, I did not get the impression that Ezra learned anything new here.

I am starting to think someone is running out of ideas... :(

I don't mind that they're hitting abandoned ships for supplies, but otherwise, I guess Ezra is growing up and realizing Hondo isn't so great. I don't know if we needed a whole episode for it though. 

• Love 1

I love Hondo so I'm definitely prone to viewing episodes he's in more favorably, but I agree, it seems early in the season to have him back again, unless they are really trying to push the point that Ezra shouldn't trust Hondo (for some payout later on in the season). Ezra was also back to annoying this episode because of his grumpiness/dismay that Zeb was put in charge of the job-- Zeb needs a beer or something for basically not knocking all their heads together. I don't mind them raiding abandoned ships for supplies and weapons because that seems like a logical thing to do as the Rebel Alliance grows. But really, this episode didn't really have anything super outstanding in it... hope next week we get some better!

I know from Rebels Recon the guard droids were based off a SW video game but did they remind anyone else of Cylons?

• Love 1

I don't mind characters like Hondo because it's part of building the universe. Not everyone is rebel or empire. There's plenty of people with different agendas. The Clone Wars did a good job of this too. 

And they made a good point how the empire can just leave the ship because they have so many resources.  There wasn't much else though.

14 hours ago, ganesh said:

I don't mind characters like Hondo because it's part of building the universe. Not everyone is rebel or empire. There's plenty of people with different agendas. The Clone Wars did a good job of this too. 

And they made a good point how the empire can just leave the ship because they have so many resources.  There wasn't much else though.

I do not mind Hondo per se, it was just too soon to have him back.  Especially right after that pointless episode with Sato's nephew.

Also, there are other things they could have explored.  How about bounty hunters?  They were everywhere in Clone Wars and we know they still existed by the time of ESB.

Edited by DarkRaichu

Yeah, I don't know. This episode didn't seem to have a point. I thought the.message would be for Ezra to grow up and see Hondo for what ue really was. That seemed like what they were going for with Kanan/Hera scene. Then the episode just fell flat and ended with a hahah Hondo didn't get his money and he's not really bad.  It just didn't work for me.

Thrawn straight up murdering the dude by making him test the bike was stone cold, even if this was a show for adults. Not for nothing. Thrawn's way better of a bad guy than Vader. 

I know I'm way overthinking, but I was wondering if the Empire kind of pitched these factories as an economic boost to local populations. You don't necessarily need millions of storm troopers as much as having billions of compliant people just happy for steady work and stability. 

Weird that the Star Wars universe has the concept of the phoenix.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
On 12/4/2016 at 11:32 AM, ganesh said:

Thrawn straight up murdering the dude by making him test the bike was stone cold, even if this was a show for adults.

That was the dude that Ezra and Zeb rescued during the season 1 episode "Fighter Flight".

On 12/4/2016 at 11:32 AM, ganesh said:

Weird that the Star Wars universe has the concept of the phoenix.

ESB established that they have the concept of 'Hell', so this wouldn't be the first time something like that happened and the name had to come from somewhere.

It was kind of dumb the amount of equipment that the Resistance was sabotaging. Did they not realize that it would get noticed eventually? While it was nice to see Thrawn actually being proactive, I'm starting to get tired of watching him observe and make vague hints of a greater plan. Also, he totally knows Kallus is an informer. I realize that it was for budget reasons, but I thought it was funny that the Lothal Resistance's major attack on the imperial base consisted of two vehicles and 3 people. Oh, and Ezra finally got a scout helmet. Also, the TIE Defender!

Great episode.  Love Kanan and Ezra.  Finally we are back at Lothal.  This was a nice build up to their confrontations with Thrawn.  I liked how methodical and cruel Thrawn was.  

Finally we got AT-AT pilots with brains.  Lol when they sat to destroy an AT-DP.  Too bad for them they fought against our heroes :P

Glad to see the plan they stole was for TIE Defender (instead of Death Star).  It showed the size of the Empire that they could have more than 1 secret weapon plan simultaneously.  As TIE Fighter player from back in the day, I cannot wait to see TIE Defender in action ;)

Also, IIRC the woman who shot the anti-tank missiles was the wife of the guy who died on test bike.  Both were farmers Ezra and Zeb rescued back in season 1

• Useful 1

I do think they are spinning their wheels at this point.  They seem to be putting pieces into place for the movie but it is odd that Thrawn is all over the place but apparently has no role to play in the cinematic world.  And why is he so fascinated with one cell out of the whole rebellion?  Unless he has some long term plan for Ezra it really just seems like random episodes to me.  Clone Wars was a kids show as well but i rarely had the same sense that they weren't moving an arc forward.

I thought one of the big deals worth this cell is that there are two Jedi, and they're all supposed to be dead. Although it's not like Thrawn can turn them to the dark side. Maybe he thinks they can lead him to other Jedi. I suppose if you're the person to root out Jedi, you'll get a bump in stature within the Empire power structure. 

• Love 1

I actually liked this episode more than the two previous episodes. Yes, still kind of spinning our wheels until Rogue One comes out but at least we saw Thrawn, Kallus, and Pryce again (as well as being back on Lothal and getting Ryder Azadi in on the action). The not-so-secret that Kallus is the new Fulcrum is out and I'm pretty convinced Thrawn already knows it's him. I'm starting to feel like Kallus probably won't make it through the season. I loved the interactions between Kallus/Ezra/Kanan and I hope we get to see more of that as the season progresses. I was highly amused when Ezra just Force-shoved him into the screen/console to "make it look real" and then the arguing between Ezra and Kanan.

Even though I'm not a huge fan of Maul, I'm glad he's back next week because it should give the mid-season break a bang to go out on.

On 12/7/2016 at 5:42 AM, ganesh said:

I thought one of the big deals worth this cell is that there are two Jedi, and they're all supposed to be dead. Although it's not like Thrawn can turn them to the dark side. Maybe he thinks they can lead him to other Jedi. I suppose if you're the person to root out Jedi, you'll get a bump in stature within the Empire power structure. 

You'd think the empire would have Vader on it if it was such a big deal.  I realize that he is probably off watching the plans for the death star being stolen but still.  Unless thrawn is being punished by being so far away I just don't get it.  

On 12/8/2016 at 6:35 PM, call me ishmael said:

You'd think the empire would have Vader on it if it was such a big deal.

Well, yes. At this point in the main movie universe, I think Vader isn't really in any official authority. Tarkin orders him around in ANH even.  Even if Vader is hunting Jedi, Palpatine knows he's probably looking for a strong apprentice anyway. Thrawn probably knows this and, again, if he's the one to root out Jedi in the course of his missions, then he's still probably getting promoted. Thrawn doesn't really need Jedi for anything.

Why is this show in series with Rogue One? Why wouldn't they want to run it in parallel action to the movie? The rebellion has multiple cells. There's no reason to put any on hold over any others. In fact, it's more likely that this group doesn't even know about the Death Star. 

I guess the show confirmed the "twin suns" vision is Tattooine.  Maul is such a weak character. I don't know if TPTBs intend that or think he's so cool because he's a bad guy who isn't really bad or whatever. He bails whenever something tight comes up, and basically whines all the time. I like how Maul calls Ezra his apprentice because Maul couldn't Force Push himself out of a light breeze. 

I was surprised they actually named Kenobi on the show because I don't know how either Kanan or Ezra would know who he is. Nor do I think that the show should have him on. 

I also find Maul ridiculous. Kenobi literally sliced you up and left you for dead. Then, he also did the same to the most powerful Force user literally ever. Give me a break. Maul is that dude who was cool in high school and still hangs around talking about how he could have "gone to California and bought a bar" but works for hourly at Jiffy Lube. 

Besides the fact that we know Kenobi lives, if there's a rematch between him and Maul, it should last 15 seconds, if in fact Maul actually decides to fight and not turn tail for the 50th time. I think Ezra would be an even match at this point. 

I did like Ezra using Force Push while fighting again, and taking Kanan even in a duel. It is kind of sad that the Nightsisters all are gone now. 

• Love 2

OBI WAN!! I'm excited about that at least. Maul I can't stand so I'm really hoping that we get to Tattooine and Kenobi ends him once and for all. I find it a littl creepy and sad how obsessed Maul is with Kenobi

31 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I was surprised they actually named Kenobi on the show because I don't know how either Kanan or Ezra would know who he is. Nor do I think that the show should have him on. 

Well, Kanan knows him because he was an Initiate/Padawan before the Jedi fell and Obi Wan was on the Council at that time. In the novel New Dawn, they actually do recount an interaction between Caleb/Kanan and Obi Wan.  I'm guessing Ezra knows him from the holocron or Kanan's stories (or at least I can handwave that being the case). I'm of two minds about bringing Kenobi on-- first, I'm a big Kenobi fan so I'm thrilled he is, but I do wonder how it's going to work, especially as Rebels gets closer to ANH. I think my biggest thing is that they can't know or see Luke. Luke is supposed to come out of nowhere in ANH so I don't think Maul/Ezra/Kanan can know who he is. 

Even though I'm not a huge Mando fan, I am excited Sabine has the dark saber. Surely that will come into play later in the season with Gar Saxon. 

51 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Maul is such a weak character

I agree. My biggest issue with Maul's revenge plot is that it is a forgone conclusion that it fails. We know what ever happens between the two, Maul does not kill him. It makes the whole thing seem pointless. They should, in my opinion, focus more on his corruption of Ezra. Regarding Kenobi, in addition to Kanan's memory, Ahsoka could have shared stories about him.

18 minutes ago, catray said:

I am excited Sabine has the dark saber. Surely that will come into play later in the season with Gar Saxon. 

I always liked that thing. It was nice to see it again.

Edited by ZoqFotPik
On 12/8/2016 at 7:35 PM, call me ishmael said:

You'd think the empire would have Vader on it if it was such a big deal.

They "put Vader on it" last season and it didn't go so well.  Figure the Emperor decided to go with "scary smart" instead of simply "scary."

Even if something is a foregone conclusion you can still make it interesting. The problem with Maul is that he can't fight worth anything and he's a coward. In the context of the show there's no way Maul just goes up to him and take him on. Any fight between the two lasting more than 4 seconds is a joke. 

Ezra really has to be the one to kill Maul, really. We've already seen him give into anger. 

7 hours ago, johntfs said:

They "put Vader on it" last season and it didn't go so well.  Figure the Emperor decided to go with "scary smart" instead of simply "scary."

I'm not sure I would call Vader dumb!  And I'm not sure how badly it went.  As far as Vader and the Emperor know Vader got rid of Ahsoka and clearly tossed the kids around pretty badly.  

I thought this was a move forward after the last few episodes.  Clearly they are running the timeline pretty close to ANH now and it will be interesting to see.  What I liked was the ambiguity of "where it began it will end" since the planet with two suns is both the beginning of Vader and the end of Palpatine through Luke.  It raises the question of whether they ultimately will run this alongside the story line of the main movies.  That might explain where Thrawn was during all that time and why Vader and the Emperor were busy with bigger fish to fry--like Luke.

• Love 1

Vader isn't dumb, but he's consumed with hate and rage, and Palpatine has to assume Vader is looking for his own apprentices. Thrawn is cold, calculating, and basically DGAF about apprentices. 

I think they should run the show alongside the "main" storyline. There's still munitions, supplies to get, and sabotage to do. It would paint a bigger picture of the rebellion. I mean, all we really have seen is three major battles, essentially. 

Getting the plans for the TIE defender is extremely important, and I'd love to see this cell be more of a military intel unit. Which would mean more infiltrating the empire, etc. Maybe they got a hold of some intel that told the rebellion the extent of the empire's forces at Yavin, for example. 

On 12/4/2016 at 1:32 PM, ganesh said:

Thrawn straight up murdering the dude by making him test the bike was stone cold, even if this was a show for adults. Not for nothing. Thrawn's way better of a bad guy than Vader. 

I also liked the way that it was appropriate, poetic justice instead of ridiculously evil overkill.  Thrawn didn't put the guy's wife in the speeder or have his whole village murdered.  He limited the execution to the guy who did the sabotage and used it to deliver an object lesson to the rest of the workers.  I do wonder how many Imperials are looking at Thrawn and thinking "Aren't you a little overqualified to be doing quality control testing.  How badly did you piss off Palpatine to get this shit detail?"

• Love 1
17 hours ago, ganesh said:

Kanan has a holocrom message from Kenobi in S1. IIRC they used Ezra being drawn to the holocrom to indicate his Force Sensitivity. I assumed that Kana at least knew of Kenobi, if he didn't know him directly.

I really enjoyed this episode. I liked how Ezra used Force Push to get the spirits out of Sabine.

I haven't gotten to the Maul episodes in Clone Wars so forgive my ignorance. Are these Night Sisters the same Force Witches in The Courtship of Princess Leia (EU Novel)?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, call me ishmael said:

I'm not sure I would call Vader dumb!  And I'm not sure how badly it went.  As far as Vader and the Emperor know Vader got rid of Ahsoka and clearly tossed the kids around pretty badly.  

I'm not calling Vader dumb.  He's just not "scary smart" because he doesn't have to be.  He's the invincible, irresistible iron fist of the Emperor.  When Palpatine wants something smashed, he sends Vader.  Vader doesn't really bother to outwit his foes.  He destroys them through main force.  The problem is that fists can be avoided.  If Vader enters a system, the Rebels can flee somewhere else.  Powerful as he is, Vader can't be more than one place at a time.  Thrawn understands the problem of conventional forces dealing with an insurgency.  His likely idea is to bait the Rebels into committing most if not all their forces to some attack so that he can trap and destroy them.  The fact that he almost certainly knows that Kallus is Fulcrum will likely play to that plan.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Kanan has a holocrom message from Kenobi in S1. IIRC they used Ezra being drawn to the holocrom to indicate his Force Sensitivity. I assumed that Kana at least knew of Kenobi, if he didn't know him directly.

I really enjoyed this episode. I liked how Ezra used Force Push to get the spirits out of Sabine.

I haven't gotten to the Maul episodes in Clone Wars so forgive my ignorance. Are these Night Sisters the same Force Witches in The Courtship of Princess Leia (EU Novel)?

Yes, Ezra also watched that holocrom so he knew what Kenobi looked like.  Also, by now Rex must have told Ezra enough EW stories to help him recognize Kenobi.

I like the Force Push too and how Ezra was using his brain to get out of the sticky situation

I never liked the idea of Mandalorian lightsaber in CW but somehow I like that Sabine has it now

Really enjoyed "Ghosts of Geonosis". Forest Whitaker plays this version of Saw differently than in Rogue One but I chalk it up to whatever happened that took away his legs and made him depend on a oxygen machine hadn't happened. He's still very fanatical though and willing to use methods that are definitely too The hologram of Steela was nice.

Amazing but they managed to make a cute Geonosian. Still ugly but I felt so bad for poor Klik-Klak.

Kanan levitating the bridge was awesome.

Sabine: "Stupid sand. It gets everywhere!" Ha.

Whoa, a black, female Imperial captain! I hope we see her again.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

Maul is like the Negan of the the Star Wars universe. I can't stand him.

E10: As much as I can't stand him, I used to like all the Nightsisters stories on TCW. And Maul was sufficiently pissy. "Don't touch anything!" "Drink. It. All." I've always liked when they do non-Jedi/Sith stuff though.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Maul is like the Negan of the the Star Wars universe. I can't stand him.

Maul is one of those characters that is more love by the writers than by the fans. I saw the use of Maul ended a long time ago with Clone Wars. They had a perfect way to complete that arc. Yet, they brought him back here in Rebels and now it's just dragging. I hope this possible concentration with Obi Wan they have teased at is the final time we see him. 

• Love 1

Oh I think a lot of fans still love Maul and wished he wasn't killed off so quickly at the end of The Phantom Menace. Also his arc along with Ahsoka's wasn't completed because the show was cancelled after Disney bought Lucasfilm. After what he did to Satine I do want Obi-Wan to finally end him once and for all.

The great thing about that is that it took a second to remember he meant Anakin who really could do amazing things.

That's one of the things I loved about the Clone Wars series. In the live action movies when the Jedi would do amazing things like jumps and flips it was done with CG and looked fake but in the show where everything is CG their feats were more "real" and impressive. Like in the Clone Wars movie where they're scaling the cliff and Anakin hops on one battle droid flying those vertical speeder bikes and another and another taking each out and then finally kicking one battle droid off and flying it himself. That was incredible.

I get the point of having a strong force user who isn't Jedi/Sith and more out for him/herself. I also just don't subscribe to one being just either Jedi or Sith, but that's another issue. I just would have preferred they created a new character for that purpose. 

Except for debuting the double saber, Maul was a bitch from day 1. He beat and older, rusty Jedi, and then got his ass beat down by a padawan. THEN on this show he got beat by a blind dude. So whatever. 

19 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Also his arc along with Ahsoka's wasn't completed because the show was cancelled after Disney bought Lucasfilm.

His arc was done when Kenobi beat him like a bitch in TPM. Palpatine knew he sucked because he had Dooku around.