Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Rick Kitchen

Soccer (or Football, if you prefer) in the US

The US Women's national team >>>>>>>>> the US Men's national team, part 713.

They looked terrible last night against Honduras. 

The men are so up and down. They can look great against a top class side like Germany one game, then turn around and suck against a lower ranked side like Honduras the next. And that backline? Yikes. It's a complete difference from the the brick wall that the women currently have.

I'll admit it's hard for me to see one US team kicking ass and then go to a US team that is rather blah.

Not today, apparently.

Eh. They were playing a team that got wrecked by defections. This game doesn't mean anything other than advancement.

Sacramento Republic FC, a USL team, defeated Sunderland 1-0 the other night.  They're playing Newcastle tonight.

And Newcastle won 1-0 on an own goal.

Edited by Rick Kitchen

I mean, technically the Gold Cup is "Soccer in the US" - geographically speaking - and I'm not sure where else to say this, but sweet pete that penalty kick awarded to Mexico last night in the 120th minute was an atrocity. I feel sooooooooo badly for Costa Rica. That is a gut punch way to lose.

• Like 2

I don't think it's quite as bad as scoring an OG in stoppage time in a WC semifinal like England did, but it's a close second.

Congratulations to Jamaica. 

US Men had their chances, but failed to follow through.  Also, a nod to Jamaica's defense and keeper too though, they saved a few as well.

It just seems that you never know what you are going to get with the Men's team (like a box of chocolate).

• Like 1

They always stink against Jamaica. Now they'll have to play off for the Confederations Cup spot.

I'm not blaming the ref, but I've never seen that call before.

Probably not a huge hit. Next year, they'll playoff for the Confederations Cup, so if they make it in, I think it might be a wash. 

Not unexpected, to be honest. She had to have seen the writing on the wall with her playing time taking a sharp downturn in the last few games and Ellis bringing in a lot of new faces for the recent Brazil games, most of whom took full advantage of their opportunity. And with a reduced roster for the Olympics next year (assuming the US qualifies, of course), her chances for selection were slim. Plus she gets to leave on a high note, finally winning the World Cup that had eluded her for so long.

Having said that, it's still sad to see a true legend of the game step aside. Abby carried this team through the lean years following the retirement of the 91ers, when the crowds were scarce and the attention of the sports world rarely fell their way. She came through for them in so many ways, scoring big goals when needed the most, pumping up her teammates when things weren't going well, and so on. While the process of replacing her on the field is going well IMO, replacing her off the field won't be so easy.

ETA: Nice compilation of some of Abby's best moments, courtesy of The Equalizer: http://equalizersoccer.com/2015/10/27/video-abby-wambach-retires-greatest-moments/

Edited by Elsydeon
  • Like 1

I'm glad Abby is going out on her own terms. (Looking at you, LANDON.)

And I'd love to know if Obama really did give Solo the cold shoulder. That would be both awesome and very, very surprising to me.

I figured Abby might stay on for the Olympics, but with a reduced role, obviously. Then again, she retires with the last major victory being the WC win, revenge against Japan, and being a total slaughter of a game. The only other person who got that moment was Elway retiring after back to back superbowls. You have to take it. 

I figured Abby might stay on for the Olympics, but with a reduced role, obviously. Then again, she retires with the last major victory being the WC win, revenge against Japan, and being a total slaughter of a game. The only other person who got that moment was Elway retiring after back to back superbowls. You have to take it. 

He might not be nearly as famous as Elway, but Ray Bourque came to my mind before Elway. That guy waited through 22 seasons before finally winning a Stanley Cup and retired after he did so.

Ellis was able to take Abby to the WC with little problem because of the roster size. With 20 field player spots, a coach can afford to use one for a player who can't play full 90's, but is able to come in late to close out games. She wouldn't have that luxury in Rio with 4 fewer field player spots and only 2 days rest between games. Players who can play up to six 90 minute games in 16 days, or who can play more than one position, are going to get first shots. There's simply no room for an aging forward that can barely run after 10 minutes and is frequently missing shots that she would have easily made 2 years ago.

Christen Press is a bad@ss.  Scored a hat-trick against Trinidad and Tobago, and just scored from way out against China.  Hope she makes the Olympic team.

Edited by SophiaD

I love Abby to death, but this game is dismal.  We're not playing well at all and just muffed a penalty kick.  I would have told the team to concentrate on scoring first and getting Abby the ball second.

Oh, well, the game is meaningless.  But still.

Edited by SophiaD
  • Like 1

So the Olympic roster has been decided, but not released to the public yet. Odds are it will be in a couple days. And this is my official prediction for the 18 and 4 alternates:

GK: Alyssa Naeher, Hope Solo

DEF: Whitney Engen, Julie Johnston, Meghan Klingenberg, Ali Krieger, Kelley O'Hara, Becky Sauerbrunn

MID: Morgan Brian, Tobin Heath, Lindsay Horan, Carli Lloyd, Allie Long, Megan Rapinoe

FW: Crystal Dunn, Alex Morgan, Christen Press, Mallory Pugh

Alternates: Ashlyn Harris, Sam Mewis, Heather O'Reilly, Emily Sonnett

If it were my choice, I'd drop Long and put Mewis in her place in a heartbeat. I have seen Long play many times, and I fail to see anything she brings that the team doesn't already have. Mewis is younger, taller, faster, stronger, and can actually play as a DM, and is much better in that role than Long is.

• Like 1

Major League Soccer's big match - the MLS Cup Final - is this Saturday at 8:00PM Eastern. Toronto FC will host Seattle Sounders FC at BMO Field in Toronto.

The match will be broadcasted on Fox - the first time an MLS match will be shown prime time on a U.S. over the air network - and on TSN, a Canadian cable sports channel. Both will have pre game shows starting at 7:30PM Eastern.

Not that it matters to me personally, because I'm going to be at BMO Field live this Saturday night cheering TFC on to victory in the stands! COME ON YOU REDS!!!!! :D

Really like Lynn Williams for the young, new players.  Also, Jane Campbell reminds me of a young Hope Solo.  That was an incredible save she had in full sun, against South Korea.