Type keyword(s) to search

Soccer (or Football, if you prefer) in the US

Rick Kitchen
  • Start Topic

The US Women's national team >>>>>>>>> the US Men's national team, part 713.

They looked terrible last night against Honduras. 

The men are so up and down. They can look great against a top class side like Germany one game, then turn around and suck against a lower ranked side like Honduras the next. And that backline? Yikes. It's a complete difference from the the brick wall that the women currently have.

I'll admit it's hard for me to see one US team kicking ass and then go to a US team that is rather blah.

I mean, technically the Gold Cup is "Soccer in the US" - geographically speaking - and I'm not sure where else to say this, but sweet pete that penalty kick awarded to Mexico last night in the 120th minute was an atrocity. I feel sooooooooo badly for Costa Rica. That is a gut punch way to lose.

• Love 2

Congratulations to Jamaica. 

US Men had their chances, but failed to follow through.  Also, a nod to Jamaica's defense and keeper too though, they saved a few as well.

It just seems that you never know what you are going to get with the Men's team (like a box of chocolate).

• Love 1

Not unexpected, to be honest. She had to have seen the writing on the wall with her playing time taking a sharp downturn in the last few games and Ellis bringing in a lot of new faces for the recent Brazil games, most of whom took full advantage of their opportunity. And with a reduced roster for the Olympics next year (assuming the US qualifies, of course), her chances for selection were slim. Plus she gets to leave on a high note, finally winning the World Cup that had eluded her for so long.

Having said that, it's still sad to see a true legend of the game step aside. Abby carried this team through the lean years following the retirement of the 91ers, when the crowds were scarce and the attention of the sports world rarely fell their way. She came through for them in so many ways, scoring big goals when needed the most, pumping up her teammates when things weren't going well, and so on. While the process of replacing her on the field is going well IMO, replacing her off the field won't be so easy.

ETA: Nice compilation of some of Abby's best moments, courtesy of The Equalizer: http://equalizersoccer.com/2015/10/27/video-abby-wambach-retires-greatest-moments/

Edited by Elsydeon
  • Love 1

I figured Abby might stay on for the Olympics, but with a reduced role, obviously. Then again, she retires with the last major victory being the WC win, revenge against Japan, and being a total slaughter of a game. The only other person who got that moment was Elway retiring after back to back superbowls. You have to take it. 

I figured Abby might stay on for the Olympics, but with a reduced role, obviously. Then again, she retires with the last major victory being the WC win, revenge against Japan, and being a total slaughter of a game. The only other person who got that moment was Elway retiring after back to back superbowls. You have to take it. 

He might not be nearly as famous as Elway, but Ray Bourque came to my mind before Elway. That guy waited through 22 seasons before finally winning a Stanley Cup and retired after he did so.

Ellis was able to take Abby to the WC with little problem because of the roster size. With 20 field player spots, a coach can afford to use one for a player who can't play full 90's, but is able to come in late to close out games. She wouldn't have that luxury in Rio with 4 fewer field player spots and only 2 days rest between games. Players who can play up to six 90 minute games in 16 days, or who can play more than one position, are going to get first shots. There's simply no room for an aging forward that can barely run after 10 minutes and is frequently missing shots that she would have easily made 2 years ago.

I love Abby to death, but this game is dismal.  We're not playing well at all and just muffed a penalty kick.  I would have told the team to concentrate on scoring first and getting Abby the ball second.

Oh, well, the game is meaningless.  But still.

Edited by SophiaD
  • Love 1

So the Olympic roster has been decided, but not released to the public yet. Odds are it will be in a couple days. And this is my official prediction for the 18 and 4 alternates:

GK: Alyssa Naeher, Hope Solo

DEF: Whitney Engen, Julie Johnston, Meghan Klingenberg, Ali Krieger, Kelley O'Hara, Becky Sauerbrunn

MID: Morgan Brian, Tobin Heath, Lindsay Horan, Carli Lloyd, Allie Long, Megan Rapinoe

FW: Crystal Dunn, Alex Morgan, Christen Press, Mallory Pugh

Alternates: Ashlyn Harris, Sam Mewis, Heather O'Reilly, Emily Sonnett

If it were my choice, I'd drop Long and put Mewis in her place in a heartbeat. I have seen Long play many times, and I fail to see anything she brings that the team doesn't already have. Mewis is younger, taller, faster, stronger, and can actually play as a DM, and is much better in that role than Long is.

• Love 1

Major League Soccer's big match - the MLS Cup Final - is this Saturday at 8:00PM Eastern. Toronto FC will host Seattle Sounders FC at BMO Field in Toronto.

The match will be broadcasted on Fox - the first time an MLS match will be shown prime time on a U.S. over the air network - and on TSN, a Canadian cable sports channel. Both will have pre game shows starting at 7:30PM Eastern.

Not that it matters to me personally, because I'm going to be at BMO Field live this Saturday night cheering TFC on to victory in the stands! COME ON YOU REDS!!!!! :D

Awful, just awful.

NWSL coach Paul Riley has been "fired after allegations of sexual coercion by multiple former players".

Here's the original article linked in the tweet above (paywalled).  A much shorter free article is available here:  Former players accuse North Carolina Courage coach Paul Riley of sexual coercionThe Athletic also has  a non-paywalled blog page with updates and developments on the situation.  The Farrelly allegations date back to 2011 and those involving Shim are from 2015, when she was with the Portland Thorns.  Shim notified the Thorns about Riley in 2015 and met with the team's H.R. director, as well as notified the league commissioner.

And, unfortunately, this is just the latest abuse situation in the league, as aptly summarized in the main article:

Last year, Dell Loy Hansen was pressured into selling Utah Royals FC after reports of racist comments and a sexist culture in the club’s front office. Utah also placed head coach Craig Harrington on administrative leave; sources told The Athletic that Harrington made comments of a sexual nature to staff, which he has disputed. In August, an assistant coach for the Washington Spirit left the club following inappropriate comments made to players at a party. Spirit head coach Richie Burke was put on leave pending an investigation into allegations of verbal and emotional abuse of players; on Tuesday, the NWSL announced that he was terminated for cause. In July, Gotham FC dismissed general manager Alyse LaHue following the results of an investigation related to the league’s new anti-harassment policy. She has denied any wrongdoing.

Additionally, OL Reign coach Farid Benstiti resigned in July after a formal complaint by a player regarding inappropriate comments.

Apparently, Diallo is no longer a suspect, but the wife of a former Barca player, Eric Abidal, and/or persons close to her are now persons of interests in the attack, as the speculation is that Hamraoui and Eric Abidal, who was Barca's Director of Football from June 2018 to August 2020, had an affair.  This speculation is based on the fact that Hamraoui's phone had a sim card which had been registered in Abidal's name.

From a November 16th Marca.com article summarizing developments from Le Monde and L'Equipe articles:

The case regarding the attack on Paris Saint-Germain women's player, Kheira Hamraoui, has taken yet another dramatic twist, with the wife of former Barcelona player Eric Abidal now being investigated.

The incident took place in the car of teammate Aminata Diallo who, after emerging as an initial suspect, is no longer at the centre of police investigations.

Instead, Diallo is assisting in resolving the matter, and has passed on a name directly linked to Hamraoui's recent past in Barcelona, that of Hayet Abidal.

As reported by Le Monde, Eric Abidal is set to be questioned as part of the investigation into the attack on Hamraoui after it emerged that the sim card on Hamraoui's device had actually been registered under his name.

Edited by Just Here

The NWSL is an absolute dumpster fire right now.

‘Nobody cares’: NWSL players say U.S. Soccer failed to act on abuse claims against Red Stars coach

Dames is the fifth male NWSL coach to be accused of misconduct this year, during which a culture of mistreatment exploded into public view and triggered a reckoning throughout the league. Players have criticized the league and team officials for failing to protect and listen to them. The league’s commissioner, Lisa Baird, resigned in the face of revelations that she had dismissed two players’ pleas to reopen an investigation against Paul Riley, a coach who was accused of sexual misconduct.

(edited)

Ugh.

From the University's press release:

It is with great sadness that we report that Katie Meyer, a senior majoring in International Relations and minoring in History, a Resident Assistant, and a team captain and goalkeeper on the Stanford Women’s Soccer Team, has passed away.

Stanford's student newspaper, the Daily has the most in-depth coverage so far: Undergraduate student dies in Stanford residence (March 1st) and Stanford student and soccer goalkeeper Katie Meyer ’22 dies at 22 (March 2nd).

In December 2019, Meyer went viral for her celebration and gestures to the camera during the penalty kick shoot-out of the NCAA championship match against UNC.

Edited by Just Here
added links
(edited)

Hope Solo was arrested on Thursday in Winston-Salem, North Carolina for operating a vehicle while impaired in a Walmart parking lot.  Her 2-year-old twins were inside the vehicle.

Here's the local NBC affiliate's article:

Hope Solo, a retired U.S. soccer goalkeeper and two-time Olympic gold medalist, was arrested on DWI and child abuse charges outside of a Walmart store Thursday in Winston-Salem.

Solo, whose legal name is Hope Amelia Stevens, was arrested in the parking lot of the Walmart on Parkway Village Circle.

Solo is charged with impaired driving, resisting arrest and misdemeanor child abuse.

Police said Solo's two children were in the car at the time of the offense.

Excerpt from the local FOX affiliate's write-up:

Court documents say that a passerby observed Solo “passed out behind wheel for over (sic) hour” with the engine running and two kids in the backseat. Paperwork says that officers could smell alcohol and she refused a sobriety test and blood was drawn.

Here's a law firm's explanatory article on North Carolina's DWI law, which covers a range of impaired offenses, rather than just the common understanding of "driving".

Edit:  The AP now has a polished write-up.  A preliminary court date is set for June 28.

Here are the specific offenses Solo is charged with, per her court date entries on a state judicial website:

Offense Code / Description / Statute

•  3834 Misdemeanor-MISDEMEANOR CHILD ABUSE 14-318.2
  •  5310 Misdemeanor-RESISTING PUBLIC OFFICER 14-223
  • 5405 Traffic-DRIVING WHILE IMPAIRED 20-138.1
  •  9955 Traffic-CIVIL REVOCATION DR LIC (30) 20-16.5

Links to the specific statutes have been added.

Edited by Just Here
formatting, added link and details

After a 16-year absence, the U.S.A. has qualified for the men's tournament at the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris, following a 3-nil victory over host Honduras in the semifinals of the just-concluded CONCACAF U-20 Championship.  In the final, the U-20 USMNT easily defeated the Dominican Republic 6-nil, who had a Cinderella run, qualifying for both the Olympics and also next year's U-20 World Cup.

CONCACAF's YouTube highlights (links because embedding is blocked):  Semifinal vs. Honduras and Final vs. Dominican Republic.

In addition to the U.S.A. and the Dominican Republic, Guatemala (who knocked out Mexico in the quarterfinals) and Honduras also qualified for the U-20 World Cup.

• Like 1

Can someone who understands MLS rules explain this scenario to me?

Columbus-Minnesota game ends in penalty kicks.  Minnesota goalie walks to the line, ref in front of him and backpedaling, to give an unwanted hug to the striker lining up his shot.  How is that not an automatic red card??  Apparently this goalie has played this mind game before.  Why is it allowed?