Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Ka Makuakāne (Family Man)

• Start Topic

Five-0 investigates when the young daughter of a Navy SEAL

currently on a top-secret mission is kidnapped. Meanwhile, with his brother's life on the line, Danny must locate the $18.5 million he owes his captors.

Original Airdate: October 3, 2014

I have actually enjoyed the last two shows.  For me, they have used the new characters in a way that doesn't take away from the core 4.  It reminds me of season 1 which is what turned me into a fan in the first place.  So far I'm enjoying the ride and I hope I continue to enjoy it this season.

I liked the little girl that was kidnapped, I thought she did a nice job.  A nice twist in that I kept thinking it was the father that had done something and then it was the wife instead. 

Also recognized the mom that caused it all from another show I really liked, Eli Stone.  I enjoyed both moms in this one.

• Love 2

Hawaii 5-0 is off to a good start for season 5. I always love it when they switch up the formula and this was one of those episodes. The kidnappers made a mistake! A simple one but a mistake nonetheless! And they weren't five steps ahead of 5-0 like they usually are!

I missed something along the way though. The kidnapper had a brother-in-law who helped him? Why? That's some deep stuff to get into.

Interesting that the only death in this episode was courtesy of trigger-happy 5-0. I am looking forward to the inevitable episode in which they are brought to account for gunning so many people down.

Danny continues to be the heart of the team. His empathy is one of the best things to see and I love how he connects with the people he helps.

I also appreciate that Danny took the intruder from last week and straight up arrested the son of a bitch. However, again... if you shoot this guy in the head he won't have any leverage.

I was kind of hoping that the kidnapping victim's father would arrive home in time to be a part of the plot. Navy SEAL on the warpath! However, I am pretty sure that plot has been done before on this show.

• Love 1

I thought this was a good episode and the season is off to a good start.  When that kid said the kidnapper had the same hair as her dad, and when I saw it was William Mapother, I was pretty sure he was behind it.  He wasn't but when I heard him and his wife did car seats, I could see where the plot was going.  Still, it was well-done.

Also appreciate Danny actually contributing this week.  They've gone out of their way to make Steve "supercop" over the past two seasons, with him correctly predicting everything while Danny grumbles the wrong advice.  This episode makes use of the fact that Danny is actually the experienced cop in the group.

The new characters are being used very well, I agree.  Steve, Danny, and Lou make a good team to be breaking into a house.

Edited by benteen

When that kid said the kidnapper had the same hair as her dad, and when I saw it was William Mapother, I was pretty sure he was behind it.

That's the unfortunate thing about casting semi-well known actors because I said the same thing. I knew it had something to do with him as soon as I saw him which killed a lot of the suspense. Though because it was Mapother, I automatically assumed he was the kidnapper because he just has that creep face...

• Love 1

I, too, assume Mapother was the baddie, because he always seems to be the baddie lol. So it was nice they flipped it up a bit.

The father, ex Boston Celtics guard Jojo White's son was known to me mostly as a villain. Except on The Shield where he was a victim of Shane

I do think it was partially the kidnapper's fault that his daughter died. He should have been paying attention to driving instead of making faces at her in the mirror. That said, it was unconscionable of Caroline Porter to cover up a defect.

I couldn't care less about Danny and the millions he needs to save his brother.

• Love 2

I too thought that William Mapother would be the bad guy.  He's another alumni of Lost to appear on this show.

I have enjoyed both of these shows from the new season.  I think that all the current characters are working well together.

I do think it was partially the kidnapper's fault that his daughter died. He should have been paying attention to driving instead of making faces at her in the mirror. That said, it was unconscionable of Caroline Porter to cover up a defect.

When Steve said she would need a lawyer, I said "Why?"  There's no evidence of a known defect any more and the only two who say there is have ev ery reason to lie.  The fact that there was one possible failure out of the first shipment of 50,000 would be strong evidence against a cover-up.

• Love 1

Yeah.  I agree with those above.  The dad was at fault.  Nothing is 100%.  And 1 out of 50,00 failing is .002 percent failure.  Pay attention to the road you idiot and don't blame others for your stupidity.

Edited by crazyirishlady