Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Revelation

Bellamy awakens alone and abandoned at Arcadia’s outskirts, missing a week of his life. As his memory returns, he has a shocking revelation. Arcadia welcomes one more returned... the powerful matriarch of the Langston family, dead for over three decades. (2-hr)

For a season premiere, I though it kind of sucked.

In the space of 1 week of show time (since last spring's season finale),

• The army has come and gone in a less than a week
  • A secret organization kidnapped Bellamy only and tortured him, but returned (or is that resurrected ?) Jacob back to the Langstons
  • Fred, the chief of police, has become the town drunk -- and no one notices.
  • Fred gets drunk, gets a ride home from Elaine Richards to an old factory, he makes a move on her and then she takes him home (seriously, dude, you're like 30+ years older than she is).  Ick !!
  • Grandma Langston is back, bitches !!
  • Pastor Tom is the one that found Rachel on her 2nd return trip, and she's still pregnant (only further along in the pregnancy by a couple of weeks)
  • All of the Returned (is this the right show, shouldn't they be calling them the Resurrected) that weren't 'claimed' by friends and family were taken away by the Army (I bet they were all killed)
  • J. Martin Bellamy was killed during his escape attempt, and he is now a Returned, and has been given marching orders by the head of this super secret organization (whoever they are).

• Love 2

I thought it was OK.  They needed to rein it in and not have like a thousand resurrected people roaming around.   Apparently we missed the decision to let the returned with family stay with them while the others are hauled off.  Grandma Langston is going to be interesting.  I'll give a few weeks to get off the ground again.

• Love 1

Not a single person in town even brought up the possibility that Martin was a returnee when they first saw him after being missing for a week?

Where is Fred's wife? Why hasn't Elaine's father come back?

Did SooperSeckritOrganization really think they could take Martin down in a crowded bar with an open carry gun?  In Chicago?  Without being detected?

Why does Martin keep having pangs?  Could it be hunger?

When Martin pulled his shirt up were we supposed to see something?  ABC covered it up with their gynormous logo.

• Love 1
I don't trust any woman that gave birth to sociopathic Fred. Besides, she gives me the creeps.

Well she also had Henry so there's that in her favour. I liked that she's been the only one who has literally been willing to slap some sense into Fred, the way she looked at him when she saw him holding the gun just screamed "No son of mine!" to me. She comes across to me as a very dominant personality, perhaps even a little domineering.

She also seems to be pretty damn well adjusted for coming back to life after 32 years which is rather suspicious.

• Love 3

Interesting episode.

Why isn't Bellamy ravenously hungry like the others always seemed to be?  I can understand why no one would immediately think he's a newly dead returnee - Jacob likely told them he was hauled away, which wouldn't indicate he'd be dying.  The doctor seemed to suspect when she asked about breakfast and his "yeah, I had a normal person's meal" response seemed to be satisfactory.

The whole clothing issue bothers me.  Jacob ran around in that red shirt for 90% of last season, yet Grandma apparently discovered a hat and a few outfits before anyone realized she was there.  Bellamy shows up in those wet and muddy clothes - yet he looked perfectly clean during breakfast.

Sheriff Fred was always the town drunk - that's nothing new.

And how on earth does Jacob manage to wander around town in his jammies at all hours of the night without his parents hearing him leave the house??  And how far is he wandering?  Is the cemetery next door? 

• Love 1

Well she also had Henry so there's that in her favour. I liked that she's been the only one who has literally been willing to slap some sense into Fred, the way she looked at him when she saw him holding the gun just screamed "No son of mine!" to me. She comes across to me as a very dominant personality, perhaps even a little domineering.

She also seems to be pretty damn well adjusted for coming back to life after 32 years which is rather suspicious.

I sort of got the vibe that she "knows something" kind of like Caleb did (i.e., his line about there are more on the way) - she was pretty calm about her return and she advised Jacob to keep quiet about his ability to sense other returnees.  However, so far she doesn't seem menacing like Caleb did IMO.

As a whole this episode left me a little off balance.  I was really looking forward to seeing the show again but it felt all different.  A bunch of stuff is supposed to have happened that they didn't let us see and are trying to be coy about.  All the urgency at the end of last season is swept away.  All the stuff that brought the characters I liked together as a team - Bellamy, Jacob, Jacob's parents, Maggie - has kind of been tossed out.  I mean, Jacob was in danger and a mob of Returned had popped up and our gang was trying to deal with all that but NOW when Bellamy gets back to the Langstons, all freaked out about having Jacob taken away at gunpoint, they're all calm and it's been a week and Jacob is at home and there's no immediate emergency anymore.  Obviously there's still a major problem but it has changed and we didn't get to "see" it.

I do see that they had to clear out the mob of Returned somehow BUT to me that makes it more obvious now that it was a cheap ploy to add drama to the season 1 finale.

• Love 2

Lady Stark has returned from the dead

On the wrong show, unfortunately.

I thought they hit a total Reset button for this season. It seemed like the writers sat down and went "OK, the thing we were planning at the end of the first season isn't going to work for a full 22 episodes, let's backtrack a bit." Army, gone. Jacob, home. Town, back to normal. Wow. That's a lot of reset.

• Love 1
The doctor seemed to suspect when she asked about breakfast and his "yeah, I had a normal person's meal" response seemed to be satisfactory.

She might have been suspicious, or we might just have been trained to be suspicious of anything related to food because we've already been shown the ravenousness they've exhibited. He was complaining of chest pain. She might've been trying to figure out if he ate something particularly heartburn inducing, if she were just plain treating him as a regular non-suspicious scenario. I'm not sure if she had any other reasons to suspect at that point? Not that I'd put it past this show to write people with absurd powers of observation.

On the wrong show, unfortunately.

I thought they hit a total Reset button for this season. It seemed like the writers sat down and went "OK, the thing we were planning at the end of the first season isn't going to work for a full 22 episodes, let's backtrack a bit." Army, gone. Jacob, home. Town, back to normal. Wow. That's a lot of reset.

This. If felt real different to me and not in a good way. I am so feeling the "Under The Dome" vibe and I didn't even make it all the way to the end of the first season of that particular piece of trash.

I actually thought all the returned coming back from decades ago could be interesting. Now, I am rapidly losing interest. Evidenced by the fact that i stil lhave not made it all the way through this episode on my DVR, while I couldn't wait to finish viewing "How to Get Away With Murder". I'll try another week or so, but it better speed up. I am already sick of Sheriff Fred.

I actually thought all the returned coming back from decades ago could be interesting. Now, I am rapidly losing interest. Evidenced by the fact that i stil lhave not made it all the way through this episode on my DVR

I thought it was just me, chlban. For some reason, neither the characters nor the plot are holding my interest this season. I don't like the mother at all, and she seems to be a major player this season. I like Bellamy, but I know so little about him and what makes him tick that I don't feel emotionally invested in his journey.

• Love 1

...I like Bellamy, but I know so little about him and what makes him tick that I don't feel emotionally invested in his journey.

And it doesn't help that they more or less retconned him into a returned. Last season he was the viewers' POV. Now he's something else that even he doesn't know what it is.

I don't trust any woman that gave birth to sociopathic Fred. Besides, she gives me the creeps.

I knew when Bellamy woke up that he'd been offed. I wonder if the government knows that he's a double returnee.

I don't think Bellamy is a double returnee.  His family died and he lived. 

Edited by Jordan27
Did they ever say how Gramma Langston died?  She doesn't look very old.

Not specifically -- Henry mentions that Bitchy Grandma got sick and died a year before Jacob drowned, and that they didn't tell her about Barbara's pregnancy with Maggie at the time.

• Love 1

I was pretty sure they said cancer, actually. Maggie was checking her when she first came back and I thought mentioned she was completely cancer free?

Yes. BG said something like she could never remember a time when she was cancer free before. She was relatively young when she died so Cancer makes sense. Unlike most things in this show.