Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E17: Republican National Convention

• Start Topic

I noted the disclaimer that the show was taped yesterday, but wasn't John particularly prescient about what was going to happen today?

No matter who gets nominated, I don't think John will be going for a repeat of his 2016 "deeply flawed" comments about Hillary Clinton where he regularly damned her with faint praise. 

I tried studiously to avoid the entire RNC this week, but then my daughter made me watch Jon Stewart's mockery of it and now I watched John Oliver's mockery of it.  Mockery though it is, they still make me reach for my anti-anxiety medications.

• Like 12
  • Hugs 2

"We're taping this on Saturday and news is moving so fast that who knows where we'll be by the time you actually watch this."

Oh John our sweet summer child..

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 15

John returns with shocking news that shouldn't shock at all . . . apparently, "migrant crime" is bullshit. Did any of the major news outlets reveal what led to the shuffle in New York? And Curtis Silwa . . . what a piece of work he is. He's getting interviewed on Fox News and his Guardian Angels apprehend a Spanish-speaking shoplifter who didn't steal anything at all.

The sad thing? You can probably grab a MAGA, go all A Clockwork Orange on that person, show all of John's exposes ("ex-po-says," in this case) on a loop . . . and they'd still believe what conservatives parrot. I didn't tune into the RNC on Thursday because I didn't want to get aggravated. Turns out it was the circus I figure it would be. I feel bad for the Bulldog that got dragged into it. He's probably a Libertarian.

Man, the show went on hiatus at the wrong time. Then again, since reality is basically fucked these days, any time is the wrong time for a satirical show to take a break.

I never heard of the World Games. That closing ceremony bit with the frog and the ghosts was bizarre. Of course John loved it.

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

You can probably grab a MAGA, go all A Clockwork Orange on that person, show all of John's exposes ("ex-po-says," in this case) on a loop . . . and they'd still believe what conservatives parrot.

Isn't that Jordan Klepper's entire schtick?  Observe them in their natural habitat, violate the Prime Directive by bringing them news from the real world, and watch absolutely nothing change?

5 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I never heard of the World Games. That closing ceremony bit with the frog and the ghosts was bizarre. Of course John loved it.

John is fascinated by really strange things that make me wish, please dog, let the show be over.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I saw clips via Colbert's show this week*. That, along with the clips from Oliver's show tonight, was far more than enough for me. Pour one out for the poor people on all the late night shows who had to sit through the entire thing to find clips to highlight in their respective shows, 'cause YE GODS... I don't know what line about the RNC made me laugh more - Oliver saying it was the worst thing to happen to Wisconsin since Jeffrey Dahmer, or his theory about the woman who said she wanted to see some dicks for her bachelorette party and her friends completely misunderstanding what she meant by that XD. 

*I remember flipping back and forth to see when Colbert's show would start on Thursday night, because it'd been starting so late throughout the week in general, and being like, "Dear god, he's still talking..." when I'd flip back and Trump was giving his speech. 

(Also, attendees wearing bandages. Just when I thought I couldn't roll my eyes any harder. Holy shit.) 

But ugh, yes, all the nasty comments about immigrants and "migrant crimes" (that "Biden migrant crime" clip was...truly...something...). Why am I not even remotely surprised that the whole story about those cops in New York didn't play out even REMOTELY like people were claiming it had. That obnoxious idiot going on TV and being like, "They think they rule the night" and all that...shut up. What a pathetic wannabe "Mr. Tough Guy Badass". 

And yes, the Democrats need to quit walking into the GOP's trap lest they be accused of being soft on crime. Honestly, if we have more debates before the election, I want so badly, so, SO badly, for the Democrats to point out that it's going to be awfully hard for Trump to be tough on crime given he's a convicted felon, and it's going to be awfully hard for the GOP to claim to be the party of law and order when they're out here endorsing and supporting a convicted felon. It's not going to make any difference to that party's supporters, no, but still, I think that point absolutely needs to be made. 'Cause I kept seeing the clips of people at the convention going on about how Mexico is bringing in criminals and rapists and I'm sitting here like, "...remind me who you guys are supporting again?"

Also, Cruz constantly complaining about Mexico is rich, 'cause, uh, Cancun? Yeah. 

Just. Ugh. Yes. It's absolutely maddening how this rhetoric keeps working on voters, and how nobody ever seems to connect the dots about how these rants about migrants conveniently stop right after the election si over. I really hope enough voters show that they're not going to fall for it this time, but...yeah. It's depressing. 

Regarding those games John was talking about at the end, personally, I kind of like the contact juggling game myself. But I do hope he gets to see the game he wants in there :D. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 10
4 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

And yes, the Democrats need to quit walking into the GOP's trap lest they be accused of being soft on crime. Honestly, if we have more debates before the election, I want so badly, so, SO badly, for the Democrats to point out that it's going to be awfully hard for Trump to be tough on crime given he's a convicted felon

They need to point out that the Congress had a done deal, agreed on by both parties and both Houses, to get the border in order.  The orange guy told his minions to squash the deal so he could continue to use it as a wedge issue against Democrats.  That doesn't get brought up often enough.

At the rate the orange felon's going, his personal courts going have his 93 felonies down to cribbing someone's lunchbox in the third grade.

Ted Cruz is an immigrant himself who happens to have an American mother.  TFG is the son of a Scottish immigrant and the grandson of a German immigrant who was a draft dodging brother owner.  They just all want to pull the rug up behind them.

• Like 10

I am so sick of Fox news pushing these faux narratives on migrant crime.  Of course their base is going to buy it hook line and sinker.  And yes Democrats need to stop being Charlie Brown, the Republicans are never gonna let them kick the football.

After this whirlwind of a week we needed to end on the World Games.  Never underestimate the power of a mascot in John's eyes.

A nanosecond of silence for Melania, who was giving the same face I would have during that Kid Rock set.

25 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

saw clips via Colbert's show this week*. That, along with the clips from Oliver's show tonight, was far more than enough for me.

Same here.  Between Colbert and the Daily Show I got more than my fill of the RNC.

• Like 5
(edited)
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I saw clips via Colbert's show this week*. That, along with the clips from Oliver's show tonight, was far more than enough for me. Pour one out for the poor people on all the late night shows who had to sit through the entire thing to find clips to highlight in their respective shows, 'cause YE GODS...

I've only seen clips as well and read articles/blogs/etc about the convention, but yes I've also thought about the journalists and others who watched the whole thing because it was their duty, not their choice. I do have Trump's 90-min speech/rambling bookmarked, so I'll get around to reading that sometime.

(Also, attendees wearing bandages. Just when I thought I couldn't roll my eyes any harder. Holy shit.)

What can one say. Remember some wearing diapers over their pants with a sign that said, "Real men wear diapers"? W. T. F. I wouldn't be surprised if TFG had to get a leg amputated we'd see fans getting one of their own legs cut off.

Honestly, if we have more debates before the election, I want so badly, so, SO badly, for the Democrats to point out that it's going to be awfully hard for Trump to be tough on crime given he's a convicted felon, and it's going to be awfully hard for the GOP to claim to be the party of law and order when they're out here endorsing and supporting a convicted felon. It's not going to make any difference to that party's supporters, no, but still, I think that point absolutely needs to be made. 'Cause I kept seeing the clips of people at the convention going on about how Mexico is bringing in criminals and rapists and I'm sitting here like, "...remind me who you guys are supporting again?"

I'm sure his supporters are saying that since all his trials are politically driven (by Biden), any conviction is invalid. Ergo, TFG is not a felon. Doesn't count. No backsies. Neener neener neener.

9 hours ago, meowmommy said:

They need to point out that the Congress had a done deal, agreed on by both parties and both Houses, to get the border in order.  The orange guy told his minions to squash the deal so he could continue to use it as a wedge issue against Democrats.  That doesn't get brought up often enough.

I get my news from various blogs and online articles, so I don't really know what's on TV news, but I've wondered if this has been pointed out. I've certainly read about the R's not passing the border bill because they would lose a talking point -- There's even a clip of T saying that passing it would be good for the other side -- but has this been on the national news? I doubt Fox viewers know about this.

Pete Buttigieg is fantastic at debunking all their lies. Get his voice out there more.

I'm surprised that John didn't do anything with Matt Gaetz's scary botoxed face at the convention. Maybe that was too scary.

Why was T wearing gloves at that one appearance? I don't know where he was. Maybe outdoors and it was cold? In July?!? 

I appreciated John doing the ending segment on the World Games. I've heard of them but didn't realize they were kind of auditions for the Olympics. Combat juggling was the weirdest one to me. Oh, maybe the blade sport was weirder. Maybe a tie.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Like 8

A lot of the issues covered on the show all seem to me to reflect that we've lost a sense of nuance, and largely the media has grown ridiculously alarmist. When everything is an existential threat, then you're not getting anything done because it's not, and people see that, and just tune it out and go to work or do laundry. (Granted, most is coming from one side.) I kind of don't really blame people because they're being hammered away with false information, but I do kind of blame voters as a whole because we could be electing people who want to fix these problems in good faith and not just go to Congress to get on tv.

The media bears some responsibility to actually say what happened. You see this Times Square incident clearly wasn't what was reported. Are there consequences for that? No. 

Part of it imo is like 5% of voters are choosing the candidates because (in my state) primaries are closed. You're only getting a narrow slice of voters. 

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I've certainly read about the R's not passing the border bill because they would lose a talking point -- There's even a clip of T saying that passing it would be good for the other side -- but has this been on the national news? I doubt Fox viewers know about this.

It was covered at the time, but the talking point reply is that HR2 was passed before that and the Senate didn't take it up. However, the bill itself was never going anywhere because it was way off the chain. Again, nuance. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

has this been on the national news? I doubt Fox viewers know about this.

National news, yes. Faux News, no.

• Like 3

I've seen the World Games before. I think Wide World of Sports used to air them back in the day. Even though there were only three channels, they aired a lot of good stuff. I mean, no one watches boxing or tennis anymore because they aren't broadcast widely. Everything is niche programming. I was surprised the Copa was on Fox Sports. 

The speedskating looked cool.

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

A lot of the issues covered on the show all seem to me to reflect that we've lost a sense of nuance, and largely the media has grown ridiculously alarmist. When everything is an existential threat, then you're not getting anything done because it's not, and people see that, and just tune it out and go to work or do laundry.  

There's also the "dog bites man" issue. TFG has become a "man bites dog" story. His alarming, dangerous, and crazy behavior and speech happens all the time, so it's normal (for him) and therefore not news. Nothing new, nothing to report.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I get my news from various blogs and online articles, so I don't really know what's on TV news, but I've wondered if this has been pointed out.

I get my news primarily from NYT and Washington Post, and they've pointed it out, but for them, it's preaching to the choir.  I would be stunned if Roger Ailes's evil spawn tentacles have ever mentioned that Congress had worked out a bilateral deal but TFG ordered them to shitcan it.

• Like 3

Yeah, I read most of my news. I don't watch the main three networks because I'm just not really interested in listening to people try to fill time in between news stories, and I think the way the media has been covering things in recent years has been very frustrating in a lot of ways...but that's a whole other topic. 

5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

A lot of the issues covered on the show all seem to me to reflect that we've lost a sense of nuance, and largely the media has grown ridiculously alarmist. When everything is an existential threat, then you're not getting anything done because it's not, and people see that, and just tune it out and go to work or do laundry. (Granted, most is coming from one side.) I kind of don't really blame people because they're being hammered away with false information, but I do kind of blame voters as a whole because we could be electing people who want to fix these problems in good faith and not just go to Congress to get on tv.

I REALLY appreciated John calling out this, "We've already resigned ourselves to a second Trump presidency" BS that some out there were saying in recent days. "Fuck that", indeed. All the doomsday, overdramatic hand-wringing was my absolute least favorite aspect of all the hullabaloo around Biden these last few weeks, and I am so beyond tired of people just throwing up their hands and acting like this election is already a done deal. Like I said in another thread a month or so ago, I get that people are beyond exhausted, believe me, I do, I'm exhausted, too. All the chaos and anxiety of these last nine years, I'm honestly surprised my hair hasn't gone completely gray/white yet. And I think a lot of the exhaustion comes from the very thing you mention, with the media going off on these alarmiist rants about this and that and making every single crazy thing Trump says and ooes into some big media spectacle (way to totally not learn from 2016, media). It's even more frustrating because the media likes to act like they're all so shocked by Trump's behavior, but they clearly don't seem to mind that he's still in the news, 'cause hey, the outrage and shock gets them the ratings and the clicks and the views they want. Who cares if people suffer and are stressed out and burned out in the meantime? 

But I am going to be damned if I just give up and decide that this election is all said and done and that's it, we already know who will win and we jsut have to resign ourselves to that. Nope. Sorry. Not happening. And it would be really nice to se more of that fighting spirit from the Democrats and people on the left. If we do lose in November, it won't be because Trump swept the election, it'll be because Democrats can't get their damn act together and will sabotage their own chance at winning. 

7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I've only seen clips as well and read articles/blogs/etc about the convention, but yes I've also thought about the journalists and others who watched the whole thing because it was their duty, not their choice. I do have Trump's 90-min speech/rambling bookmarked, so I'll get around to reading that sometime.

What can one say. Remember some wearing diapers over their pants with a sign that said, "Real men wear diapers"? W. T. F. I wouldn't be surprised if TFG had to get a leg amputated we'd see fans getting one of their own legs cut off.

I'm sure his supporters are saying that since all his trials are politically driven (by Biden), any conviction is invalid. Ergo, TFG is not a felon. Doesn't count. No backsies. Neener neener neener.

Oh, for sure. Like I said, the message won't sink in for his supporters, but I think it's a worthy thing to point out to, say, independent voters. 

I...actually do not remember that whole "Real men wear diapers" thing you speak of - I don't think I'd even heard of it until you mentioned it. But, uh...wow. Okay. That's certainly...something. 

I'll go more into it in the next episode of this show, or whenever John covers all the stuff around Biden dropping out of the race, but it really just kills me that Biden had to back down because of his age, but Trump can profit off his assassination attempt, and is a convicted felon, and everyone's just totally fine with him still being allowed to run. Nobody's hounding the GOP to make him step down and find a new candidate. Nope. Only the Democrats have to get this kind of ridiculous scrutiny. If I wasn't convinced we're living in the Twilight Zone before...

Wise move to read that speech, 'cause no way could I bear to sit and listen to that for an hour and a half. 

Pete Buttigieg is fantastic at debunking all their lies. Get his voice out there more.

Agreed. Maybe just put him in charge of rallying the Democrats in general these next few months. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I REALLY appreciated John calling out this, "We've already resigned ourselves to a second Trump presidency" BS that some out there were saying in recent days. "Fuck that", indeed.

Word. I shouted 'Fuck that!' at the same time as John, and was also delighted to give two birds at the end of the segment. (Would have given three if I had an extra hand lol)

• Like 3
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I...actually do not remember that whole "Real men wear diapers" thing you speak of - I don't think I'd even heard of it until you mentioned it. But, uh...wow. Okay. That's certainly...something. 

Real men wear diapers.

Wise move to read that speech, 'cause no way could I bear to sit and listen to that for an hour and a half.

I didn't realize the page I bookmarked was the NYT. I cancelled my subscription several months ago. I may search for another source for the transcript.

• Useful 2

No habla espanol. Does anyone know what John was saying in one part of that "migrant" segment? 

For me, the scariest part of RNC (other than Matt Gaetz' face) was all the signs that read "MASS DEPORTATION NOW" -- just the thought that someone actually made these official-looking placards for it! 😟

• Like 6
(edited)
27 minutes ago, arachne said:

No habla espanol. Does anyone know what John was saying in one part of that "migrant" segment? 

For me, the scariest part of RNC (other than Matt Gaetz' face) was all the signs that read "MASS DEPORTATION NOW" -- just the thought that someone actually made these official-looking placards for it! 😟

Maybe they just want to round up certain people & put them on a train to somewhere, maybe another country? All perfectly innocent of course & reminiscent of absolutely nothing ever. 

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, arachne said:

I find that Reddit usually has the answer. First the Spanish then the translation:

“Que vas a hacer, Curtis Sliwa? Soy inmigrante y estoy hablando español. Me vas a mandar tus pendejos, hijo de puta? Tu gorra es demasiado estúpida y tu cara también. Eres una mierda y no creo que tu mamá esté orgullosa de ti.”

“What are you going to do, Curtis Sliwa? I am an immigrant and I am speaking Spanish. Are you going to send your idiots (fuckers, goons), son of a bitch? Your hat is very stupid and so is your face. You are a shit and I don’t think your mother is proud of you.”

• Thanks 1
  • LOL 11
18 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I REALLY appreciated John calling out this, "We've already resigned ourselves to a second Trump presidency" BS that some out there were saying in recent days. "Fuck that", indeed. All the doomsday, overdramatic hand-wringing was my absolute least favorite aspect of all the hullabaloo around Biden these last few weeks, and I am so beyond tired of people just throwing up their hands and acting like this election is already a done deal.

I feel like Trump's unhinged speech actually made them wake up and realize that he can be beat.

2 hours ago, arachne said:

The Border Theater is all just that, theater for the rubes.  There is no way they could do a mass deportation.  Even if they were stupid enough to try, it would crash the economy.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Lugal said:

The Border Theater is all just that, theater for the rubes.  There is no way they could do a mass deportation.  Even if they were stupid enough to try, it would crash the economy.

First off, what is a "rube"?

Secondly "they" could do it quite easily, there's even a blueprint for it. I do agree that they probably wouldn't do it for economic reasons though.

• Like 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't realize the page I bookmarked was the NYT. I cancelled my subscription several months ago. I may search for another source for the transcript.

Here's a free gift link to the speech, although I haven't read it in its entirety:
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/19/us/politics/trump-rnc-speech-transcript.html?unlocked_article_code=1.9U0.dZYu.-styGujaDkF9&smid=url-share

15 minutes ago, Shrek said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rube:

1: an awkward unsophisticated person : RUSTIC

2: a naive or inexperienced person

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Bit of a useless word if it can mean 3 different things, you would have to specify which one.

I think in this case (and most cases) all of the definitions are so similar that they fit.🤷🏻‍♀️

I think I recall my mom using the term, but I try to not be so judgemental, probably because I didn't grow up during the Great Depression or in other circumstances where claiming one was of a better class even without the money to back up that claim might buy some degree of respect.

But "rube" is a great word to use when one must express how one feels about those who have drunk the Kool-Aid.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

I read many many years years ago a book titled  The Great Roob Revolution by Roger Price . The only thing I remember it was funny and think my dentist recommended it. Off to see if it made the 15 moves I’ve endured as it’s on Amazon for $179.

• Like 1

Makes me think of Bugs Bunny. "What a rube."

Amazing how hose cartoons stick in my subconscious all these years.

3 hours ago, Shrek said:

Secondly "they" could do it quite easily, there's even a blueprint for it. I do agree that they probably wouldn't do it for economic reasons though.

To answer first question, I would say the easy marks.  The ones buy the political theater around the border that Trump et al have no intention of following through on.

To your second point, yes, they have a blueprint and they've done it before (Operation w******).  But now it would not be so easy.  The costs and logistics alone would be astronomical.  The damage to the economy would be catastrophic.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

*Nods* Oooooooooooooookay, then. 

Learning about the apparent origin of those images was something, too:

It's unclear where this trend originated, but it appears the participants chose to embrace jokes and comments about Trump's smell and purported intestinal distress.

These people could be a whole sociological study in and of themselves, I swear to god. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Shrek said:

Hoo doggy, I feel old!  Guess I’m gonna have to go hang out with the hicks in the sticks. 

• LOL 6
(edited)

My library offers free 72 hour access to the Times.  So every three days or so, I click on my bookmarked link with code and get a new "subscription."

Edited by meowmommy
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, meowmommy said:

My library offers free 72 hour access to the Times.  So every three days or so, I click on my bookmarked link with code and get a new "subscription."

Thanks! Looks like my library does this too.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, Annber03 said:

These people could be a whole sociological study in and of themselves, I swear to god. 

I'm sure there's plenty of social science theses into these topics. 

I don't think throwing around 'rubes' is particularly helpful because I don't necessarily think right leading people don't know better. Rubes is kind of condescending because, like I said before, literally everything is the worst thing happening all the time at once and don't leave your house because you'll die instantly. It's exhausting. We didn't used to have this problem. I don't know how it could be best addressed, but getting back to the real nightly news when I was growing up would help. But I don't think lifelong conservatives are switching their votes. They know what's going on. They're going to hold their nose and vote anyway. Or maybe some will say they are but just write someone else in. 

The problem is we only hear from the 'rubes' because they're the loudest. 

1 hour ago, Palimelon said:

I mean, lets be honest, at the end of the day, both sides have been bought and paid for and do the bidding of corporations/billionaires and other rich donors/hedge fund companies/banks/the military industrial complex/the pharmaceutical industry/housing developers/etc.

I'm not a both sides guy, but there's some cases where it's true, and this doesn't help either because then people just don't vote. 

• Like 4
(edited)

That's why in the long run nothing will ever change, when your primary choices are voting for the lesser of 2 evils in a broken system.

Edited by Palimelon
  • Like 2

I don't necessarily think so. We're not an informed electorate, and that's partially our fault but mostly not. With open primaries seeming to gain traction, more people could be encouraged to get involved earlier in the process. Right now, you've only got singe digits % of people choosing who is running in general elections so they're going for more extremist candidates in general.

More people in the primaries means candidates have to demonstrate broader appeal. Really, just holding candidates accountable for acting in good conscious is good start. 

Same with expanding mail ballots and getting rid of the caucus. 

• Like 3

Except it isn't really the electorate, informed or not, who decides who gets on the ballots and is up for the elections...it's already been decided.

• Like 1