Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

(edited)

First of all. Man I wish Canada would make their swimsuits stand out  more. geeze. anyhoo. this is like my big thing. I get other countries are red and white. but i mean. slap a big ole MAPLE LEAF on your butt or something.

Spoiler

It's Titmus vs Summer. Ledecky is there. Arianne is leading after one lap. she's pulling ahead now. Summer is ahead of Katie. turn 3, Arianne (Susmmer 0.40 behind). it's a very close race now.  200 meters (0.35 behind). This is Summer vs. Arianne under world record record time. Summer is falling. (0.66). Katie  is now challening summer.  This is Arianne's race. (over the WR).  okay here we go. Summer is half a length. Katie is a body length.  holy crap. this is SO CLOSE. this is Arianne's now. Summer is now holding on for Silver. Here we go. this is now for the world record. we're closing to the line. 

Arianne
Summer
Katie

WHAT A RACE!

Edited by Daisy
  • Like 4
(edited)

haha i love this. 
"This isn't a question if Australia is winning. That's obvious. This is a question of Is Australia beating the World Record?"

race breakdown

Spoiler

Australia
China
Sweden 
first 100

America super took over. Sweden has now dropped off. Canada is not doing well. 

America/Sweden fighting. 
China is making this sexy. 

America is like let's go! Simone Manuel is hunting that Australian chicky down. China is holding this down. Canada is 4th Let's go PENNY! LET'S GO. not doing it. China is too far ahead. Australia is like. Watch my wake. Let's go. China is taking over America. We're looking at the world record... Nope. they didn't get. 

Australia 
USA (took over)
China
Canada 4th.

their 2nd leg was their weakest. bummer. 

Edited by Daisy
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Mens 4 by 100

Spoiler

China/USA/GB/CAN 
China/USA/Hungry 
USA/CHN/Hungry
USA/ITALY/CHN 
USA/Italy/CHN 
Dressel is swimming the Victory Lap. 

USA
Australia
Italy!
No world/olympic records.  but what a race!

Edited by Daisy
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, AimingforYoko said:

And Team USA gets the first (of many) golds.

Can we please put medals in spoiler tags so those who are watching the evening broadcasts aren't spoiled? Nothing sucks more than getting spoiled on who wins what!

• Applause 1
Just now, surfgirl said:

Can we please put medals in spoiler tags so those who are watching the evening broadcasts aren't spoiled? Nothing sucks more than getting spoiled on who wins what!

Oh i am so sorry! that's so me! i'll edit my posts. 

• Hugs 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Mens 4 by 100

Reveal spoiler

China/USA/GB/CAN 
China/USA/Hungry 
USA/CHN/Hungry
USA/ITALY/CHN 
USA/Italy/CHN 
Dressel is swimming the Victory Lap. 

USA
Australia
Italy!
No world/olympic records.  but what a race!

Who needs Rowdy Gaines when we have Daisy?  Loved your commentary.  Even though I'm spoiled I'm going back to watch the feed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Who needs Rowdy Gaines when we have Daisy?  Loved your commentary.  Even though I'm spoiled I'm going back to watch the feed.

i'm really sorry. i wasn't thinking and i just got into it. i totally forgot about that little bitty thing like "hey I have no life, but other people do and will watch at night" haha. Ill remember to spoiler tag  for the other events :)

also thanks :)

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Lol no I wasn't criticizing I genuinely enjoyed reading your posts.  I'm aware that these days doing anything online is going to equal spoilers, that's on me.  I can drop eight bucks for one month of Peacock.  The online NBC coverage is already annoying me.  And knowing the results didn't diminish the enjoyment.

Excellent races.  Go USA

• Like 5

I heard earlier today that the pool in Paris is more shallow than usual, so it will be harder to set world and Olympic records. I guess shallower water creates more waves and motion, which makes the athletes swim slower?

• Useful 6
(edited)
41 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

But these events already aired live on NBC.  Or most of them. 

Yeah, I don’t get the spoiler tags. I don’t remember spoiler tags ever being used in the Olympics threads before. They’re live events that have already been aired and IMO should be fair game immediately, same as when threads open on East Coast time with comments that are spoilers for West Coasters. It’s just the nature of time differences. If I am time-shifting something and don’t want to be spoiled, I don’t go in that thread.

Perhaps a mod can weigh in?

Wow, Hunter Armstrong BEASTED that leg!

Edited by Souris
  • Like 10

It's hard to be excited about any swimming medals won by China because you know they're all still doping.

Otherwise, some fantastic races!!

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

I heard earlier today that the pool in Paris is more shallow than usual, so it will be harder to set world and Olympic records. I guess shallower water creates more waves and motion, which makes the athletes swim slower?

yeup that is it in one. 

I’m not a mod, but I’m feeling nosy tonight, so may I reinforce the forum rules (it airs publicly, there are no spoilers). CM-BlueButterfly took the time to diligently set up individual threads so folks could easily avoid spoilers on this site if they haven’t seen an event. On busy days, we can all appreciate that.

And I’d avoid sm on those days!

• Like 3

I'm watching the men's 400 relay and all I can say is this: I hope Rowdy Gaines is wearing an athletic supporter because he sounds like he's going to bust his nuts. 🤯

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
(edited)
11 hours ago, surfgirl said:

I'm watching the men's 400 relay and all I can say is this: I hope Rowdy Gaines is wearing an athletic supporter because he sounds like he's going to bust his nuts. 🤯

I think that is Rowdy's default setting! 😂 It just wouldn't be Olympic swimming without him.

"Here comes Lezak!" is indelibly imprinted on my mind. (I randomly watch that race every few months or so. My favorite Olympics moment ever.)

Edited by Souris
  • Like 8
(edited)

Rowdy is one of my favorites. He is such a fan. It gets me hyped when I hear his excitement. 

Edited by Chaser
  • Like 8

Rowdy used to drive me nuts with the screaming and excitement but I think age has mellowed me a bit. I've actually been enjoying him this time around. Granted, that may change by the end of swimming when I've had to listen to him for days.

@Souris I so agree, that race and Rowdy's reaction is imprinted in my memory.

• Like 2
(edited)

this is a record - but holy crap this is such a race. 
Men's 400 medley. 

This was a Race for a World Record then
For Silver and Bronze. holy moses. and if this pool was a bit deeper i think we'd be seeing faster times. 

Edited by Daisy
  • Like 1
(edited)

Damn, Marchand just ATE THAT RACE UP! How wonderful for him to do that in his home country. Magnificent!

I am sad the depth of the pool is hampering world records. I feel like pool depths should be uniform for that reason.

Edited by Souris
  • Like 8
(edited)

Women's 100m butterfly. 

Here! We! Go!
Walsh and Huske are setting the pace, China is right behind. Maggie McNeil is a closer, here she comes. China is fading. MAGGIE is going. here is china, here is everyone what's going on!

Huske Beats Walsh!
China beats Canada!
we're #5! We're #5! LOL

4 minutes ago, Souris said:

Damn, Marchand just ATE THAT RACE UP! How wonderful for him to do that in his home country. Magnificent!

honestly, it was very magnifique! 

Edited by Daisy
  • Like 3

Wow at Huske out touching Walsh. US goes 1-2!

Huske is so understandably emotional after.

Hate seeing China on the podium with all the doping history.

• Like 3

So thrilled for Huske!  What a phenomenal race!  And what a great show of sportsmanship to invite Walsh to stand with her atop the medal stand!

The 100m breaststroke was WILD!  I was so thrilled for (super hottie) Martinenghi and for the Fink/Peaty tie.

So glad for Marchand (and for Foster).  Doing so spectacularly in front of his home crowd is amazing!

• Like 5

400m IM. Lets Go!

here we go!! first 1 50m. Butterfly. USA is in the Lead. Canada is.... ahead! let's go. Canada, USA Australia 1-2-3.  Canada is under world record time. Backstroke time.  Canada. is swoosh swooshing. USA is half a body length away. now a body length. and we turn!. USA caught up a LOT now it's a race. Canada is pulling away again and....UNDER world record time. Breaststroke time! swoosh! SWOOSH! she's now a body and a half away from USA. swoosh!  Great Britian is chasing America. Canada is now 2 body lengths away. Swoosh. Swoosh. Still Pulling away. 3 Body lengths now.  time Split is....  OVER the world record time. Now its freestyle time. Stroke. Stroke Stroke! This is ALL CANADA NOW. America is 2. America is 3. now this is for the WORLD RECORD TIME. CAN SHE DO IT? (I DON'T KNOW) STROKE. STROKE.  She's driving to the wall! world record... nope!

NORTH AMERICA DOMINANT.
Canada
USA (Grimes)
USA (Weyant)

that was a dominant race by Canada. We're #1!

• Applause 1

While I was thrilled for Huske winning, and I know she was carried away with emotion, I wish she hadn't pulled Walsh up on the podium with her.  She could have hugged Walsh, and that would have been enough.  JMO

I was happy for the French gold medalist celebrating in front of his crowd. 

Moree Swimmin, Swimmin!!

holy crap. that swoosh when all the men jumped into the pool! it's all so close like 1/2 the guys are like super close together LOL! ooh Popvechi has entered the chat! Germany! America! England! Romania! I don't! know!

Romania!
Great Britian!
America! 

WHAT. A! RACE!

(i know i keep saying this but it's soo true. it was drama!)

Great Britain is channelling their inner Canada. They are #4 again

Oohhh. NORTH AMERICAN DOMINANCE (but this time with a bit more Canadian seasoning!) (but this is just the Semi Finals. but you need to do well to be in the final). 

Oh WOW South Africa Wins in 100 Breast Stroke.  but it was an INSANE race. everyone so close and the lead just went so crazy. China dropped off. Ireland won a medal too. congrats ladies!

• Applause 2
7 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Congrats to Ceccon - his first individual meal and it's gold!
my goodness he's hot. 

Dang, he is! Was it Ryan Murphy who got in that weird scandal about faking a mugging or something in Rio?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, satrunrose said:

Dang, he is! Was it Ryan Murphy who got in that weird scandal about faking a mugging or something in Rio?

That was Ryan Lochte.

• Like 1

These Italian swimmers are making my brain get a case of the naughties.

Great 100m breaststroke final.  Congrats South Africa.  Happy for Mona McSharry snagging bronze for Ireland.

• Like 2

I don't see a thread for Olympic commentators, so since it happened during coverage of a swimming event, I'll post this here:

As reported in numerous outlets, including the BBC, after Australia’s women's relay team won a gold medal Saturday, as they stood on the pool deck celebrating and waving to the crowd, former BBC reporter Bob Ballard, doing on-air commentary for Eurosport, chose to instead describe their activity as “You know what women are like, hanging around, doing their make-up”.

Ballard’s co-commentator, British swimming champion Lizzie Simmonds, immediately called his remark “outrageous,” to which he responded by laughing.

Yesterday, Eurosport announced Ballard had been removed from their Olympic coverage team.

Today, he said on Twitter:

The comments I made during the Australian freestyle relay victory ceremony on Saturday have caused some offence. It was never my intention to upset or belittle anyone and, if I did, I apologise. I am a massive advocate of women’s sport.

I shall miss the Eurosport team, dearly and wish them all the best for the rest of the Olympics. No further comment will be issued. Thank you.

P.s. Don’t pile in on

@LizzieSimmonds1

- please! She has nothing to do with this.

Dude, it's not an "if" that you belittled them.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Angry 4
  • Applause 3
On 7/27/2024 at 12:54 PM, crystalball said:

What is all the banging/flapping background noise? Most noticeable before the starts. I’m watching the NBC coverage. 

It's the swimmers hitting the starting blocks.

I'll start this off by saying I REALLY DETEST NBC's COVERAGE OF THE OLYMPICS (or any sports for that matter)! Too much talking & not enough of showing what is actually happening!

I was watching the men's 100 meter backstroke live (this morning) on the Peacock channel on my TV & had the Olympic schedule pulled up on my computer. The website posted the winner BEFORE THE RACE WAS OVER (I saw it out of the corner of my eye)! So the only thing I can think of is they are transmitting the TV feed on a delay?