Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, surfgirl said:

Can we put medals in spoilers for those who can only watch during the evening round rebroadcasts?

I'm not sure that's possible. People are going to talk about medals.

• Like 5

I can only watch highlights on YouTube but I'm already annoyed by coverage.  They're only showing the Chinese and Americans and only one dive by the British team.  I know I'm beating a dead horse but I would like to see the non medalists as well and more than one rotation by the bronze winners.  And diving does not take that long.  It's not a tall order to show five rounds of all eight pairs.

I know China is the gold standard in diving but I think that pair was over scored especially on the fourth dive.  I'm no expert but saw numerous mistakes in their synchronization and overall thought the Americans seemed more in unison.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, kittykat said:

I know China is the gold standard in diving but I think that pair was over scored especially on the fourth dive.  I'm no expert but saw numerous mistakes in their synchronization and overall thought the Americans seemed more in unison.

The Chinese pair were 100% overscored for that fourth dive, especially compared to the same dive by the Americans.  The Chinese divers entered the water with less splash, but that's about all they did better than the Americans on that dive.

• Like 10
9 hours ago, kittykat said:

I can only watch highlights on YouTube but I'm already annoyed by coverage.  They're only showing the Chinese and Americans and only one dive by the British team.  I know I'm beating a dead horse but I would like to see the non medalists as well and more than one rotation by the bronze winners.  And diving does not take that long.  It's not a tall order to show five rounds of all eight pairs.

I agree they were over scored on synchronicity. I think it’s a flaw in the synchronized diving scoring system where the synchro judges tend to give higher marks to the divers with better execution even though they aren’t supposed to judge on execution. 

I also wonder where the judges are in relationship to the divers since viewing angle can make a huge difference. At one point the commentary pointed out a flaw but said the judges wouldn’t be able to see it. 

I like how they show stills of them above the board, halfway down to the pool, and then entry, so we can properly see how synchronized they are at each stage.

• Like 4

So as far as I can tell the mens’ synchronized 3m springboard is supposed to be happening tomorrow but I can’t find it listed to air on tv anywhere. Anyone have any ideas where it might be found on Dish Network? Also, why is NBC making it nearly impossible to watch most of the events? 😠

Because NBC sucks.

Best I can tell, the only way to watch it live is to livestream it beginning at 5 AM Eastern.  You apparently get only 30 minutes of free livestreaming on NBC's site, after which you have to sign in either with a Peacock account, or with your Dish Network account.  Peacock will then have the event available for streaming anytime (which is how I watched the platform finals), but that's it.

Next week, the individual springboard finals are supposed to be airing on E!, if you get that channel.

• Thanks 2
(edited)

Watching the mens’ synchronized 3m springboard finals on Peacock right now.  My observations so far:

*The Chinese divers are wearing so many bandages on their arms, shoulders, legs and feet they look like they are being held together by tape.

*One of the American divers is almost a dead ringer for Tom Daley.

*The cameraperson is clearly channeling their inner Leni Riefenstahl.

Edited by yowsah1
  • Like 1

About the men's synchronized springboard finals:  Goddamn, I was rooting hard for Mexico.

About the diving competitions in general:  Goddamn, I might make more of a splash getting in and out of my bathtub than some of these people do hitting the water.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

About the men's synchronized springboard finals:  Goddamn, I was rooting hard for Mexico.

The crowd going nuts when they grabbed silver was a sight to behold!  :)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, yowsah1 said:

*The Chinese divers are wearing so many bandages on their arms, shoulders, legs and feet they look like they are being held together by tape.

I'm not sure if you know this, but those aren't bandages--it's kinesiology tape.  But it did make me think about whether they're beaten if they lose.

• Mind Blown 1
29 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm not sure if you know this, but those aren't bandages--it's kinesiology tape.  But it did make me think about whether they're beaten if they lose.

I was thinking more along the lines of injuries sustained from excessive training myself...

3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I don't know if we should be joking about authoritarian governments at the Olympics, but as My Dear Old (Dead) Dad always used to say when a Russian or Romanian or East German athlete failed: "Off to the gulag for you!"

• LOL 4
(edited)

I used to enjoy the diving competitions immensely years ago, when there actually was a competition. Sure, the Chinese divers are beautiful to watch. They're perfect every time, like automatons. Also, there are two top Chinese divers in each competition, so there's really only one medal up for grabs. There's no suspense, no excitement any more. 

Sometimes I watch, many times I don't bother. 😞 This particular topic isn't very busy. I suspect others feel similarly.

Edited by ProudMary
Corrected a typo.
  • Like 4

I agree. I watched a few minutes of this and was rooting for the Mexican guy. So I was glad he got bronze. But the Chinese divers were to "perfect".

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I used to enjoy the diving competitions immensely years ago, when there actually was a competition. Sure, the Chinese divers are beautiful to watch. They're perfect every time, like automatons. Also, there are two top Chinese divers in each competition, so there's really only one medal up for grabs. There's no suspense, no excitement any more. 

Sometimes I watch, many times I don't bother. 😞 This particular topic isn't very busy. I suspect others feel similarly.

Oof, I thought it was just me who felt this way. I also loved watching diving but it's boring AF with China dominating. One thing I disagree with though is that I personally don't think they're perfect all the time. I thought Mexico did better dives than China, more beautifully executed IMO. And a few of the dives I saw from China were not perfect, legs were not perfectly aligned etc. So at this point I feel like the judging is just handing China wins even if they don't necessarily deserve them.

• Like 1

I do enjoy the eye candy.  There's just something about male swimmers' and divers' bodies that I really like.  I've always wondered if because they spend a lot of time in the water, they have a tiny layer of fat smoothing out the wiriness of big muscles.  But those little bathing suits perched on those bods is very aesthetically pleasing to me.  I miss that in the swimming competition.

And the suits somehow don't come off when they hit the water at such speed.  It's the very last thing I would choose to wear if I were diving from a high board into water with underwater cameras.

• LOL 3
(edited)

Late to diving; and I'm sure that I'm the hundredth person to note this, but I'm not a fan of these "wedgie" suits for the women. (Not a fan of high-cut legholes(?) in general) I'm sure it's supposed to "elongate the legs", blah blah blah... but that doesn't seem as important here, than as in artistic/synchro swimming.

Edited by Trini
durrr -- dropped word
  • Like 3
On 8/10/2024 at 10:44 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

And the suits somehow don't come off when they hit the water at such speed.

I am told they use spirit gum to glue the suits to appropriate points of the body.  Same with the ladies suits.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2

Why does Tom Daley have different diving partners in every Olympics? I googled but couldn’t find the answer and only watch highlights so if it’s been said during the broadcast I missed it? 

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, yowsah1 said:

I am told they use spirit gum to glue the suits to appropriate points of the body.  Same with the ladies suits.

But why not the synchronized swimmers?  A couple of them had wedgies so severe they looked like thongs. 

Also, actually about diving...I'm noticing that when they're tucked into a little ball, their legs are splayed out like a frog's.  Is this new, or am I just not remembering it from the past?  If it's new, I'm guessing it's something they figured out that would make them spin faster.  It looks fine from the side, but from the front, it looks strange.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But why not the synchronized swimmers?  A couple of them had wedgies so severe they looked like thongs. 

Also, actually about diving...I'm noticing that when they're tucked into a little ball, their legs are splayed out like a frog's.  Is this new, or am I just not remembering it from the past?  If it's new, I'm guessing it's something they figured out that would make them spin faster.  It looks fine from the side, but from the front, it looks strange.

No, that position has been standard in the somersault dive forever. It's not really noticable from the side. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:
On 8/11/2024 at 7:55 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

No, that position has been standard in the somersault dive forever. It's not really noticable from the side. 

Exactly, it's normal, and it's not a deduction.  If divers have their feet flexed in their tucks, though, that is a deduction.

• Like 1