Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

(edited)

I just read that there's a convicted child rapist playing on the Dutch men's volleyball team: Steven van deVelde. And the Dutch are cheering him on (while other spectators are hissing & booing). What the hey???

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Mind Blown 4
5 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just read that there's a convicted child rapist playing on the Dutch men's volleyball team: Steven van deVelde. And the Dutch are cheering him on (while other spectators are hissing & booing). What the hey???

Yeah, there was an article about this on The Guardian website a few weeks ago. Met a 12 year old girl in the UK over Facebook, traveled there, had sex with her. Was caught, convicted in the UK transferred back to the Netherlands. Served around a year or so in prison, was released by the Dutch after rehab and deemed fit to join the team.

• Mind Blown 7
  • Angry 1
  • Fire 1

I've never been able to figure out what the rules on uniforms actually are/were, but because they were wearing tights I watched some of the match between Canada and the U.S.  (I've always refused to watch any volleyball where the women were wearing bikinis, just on principle.  Which is actually pretty easy because I don't really care about volleyball.)

However, what was the deal with the Canadians' tops?  That "flesh" colored piece of fabric was weird. 

spacer.png

(edited)

I'm watching the US women's vs. Australia. I've never watched a match in person but it seems so fun. They have a dj and light show in between sets, it's like a club. 

ETA, I wish my body looked half as strong as these women. 

Edited by emma675
(edited)

It may be the athletes choice what they want to wear. Honestly, two pieces may be easier for some to play in as opposed to full coverage in the heat and sand. 

Edited by Chaser
  • Like 2

Did the rules about uniforms change recently? I was thinking that if you've always competed in a two piece and you're only used to that, maybe switching it up at the Olympics is too big of a gamble? 

1 minute ago, emma675 said:

Did the rules about uniforms change recently? I was thinking that if you've always competed in a two piece and you're only used to that, maybe switching it up at the Olympics is too big of a gamble? 

French team wore bikini tops and shorts. So preference is each team's. 

It's 100-115 degrees on the sand.  I think the women would love to wear bikinis.  This is what they do.  It's beach volleyball.  I don't understand the controversy regarding the women's attire, especially if they have the option of wearing more modest clothing if desired.  Seems like they have that.

What a spectacular setting for beach volleyball.  Obviously no ocean next to Paris, so having it under the Eiffel Tour is amazing.

Love hearing Misty May announcing.

• Like 6
26 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Seems to me if it's all about comfort, the men would want to, too. 

Nah, they should be in mankinis.

• LOL 2
(edited)

Hey, if the men have the option of wearing speedos and choose to do so then they should do it.

As for the women, maybe the athletes know more than the viewers about what works best for them. 

Edited by baldryanr
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, baldryanr said:

Hey, if the men have the option of wearing speedos and choose to do so then they should do it.

As far as I can tell, they don't have that option.  I wonder why. 

Actually, no I don't.

• Like 2
On 7/28/2024 at 10:24 AM, annzeepark914 said:

I was delighted to note they no longer have to wear bikinis.  

I noticed a bunch of posts on my FB feed (the usual total strangers posts that FB seems to think I want to see) anyway a bunch of sad men are bemoaning that some of the women's teams have chosen not to wear bkinis.  One bright bulb said "I didn't wait four years to see pants".  Poor man who clearly has Internet access, apparently the only place he can see scantily clad women is at the summer Olympics.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
35 minutes ago, Dimity said:

I noticed a bunch of posts on my FB feed (the usual total strangers posts that FB seems to think I want to see) anyway a bunch of sad men are bemoaning that some of the women's teams have chosen not to wear bkinis.  One bright bulb said "I didn't wait four years to see pants".  Poor man who clearly has Internet access, apparently the only place he can see scantily clad women is at the summer Olympics.  

Yup. I saw this plus, I also saw new photos of beach volleyball women wearing thong bikinis. What is it with women today? They demand respect, but wear "uniforms" that only focus on their bums (forget the skills needed to successfully play the game). It was pathetic reading articles re: men sooooo frustrated when the women were wearing shorts or pants at earlier games.

6 hours ago, Dimity said:

I noticed a bunch of posts on my FB feed (the usual total strangers posts that FB seems to think I want to see) anyway a bunch of sad men are bemoaning that some of the women's teams have chosen not to wear bkinis. 

That's why not officially requiring women to wear bikinis does not erase the problem; if they're still strongly encouraged to because that's what brings in the viewers which brings in the funding, the choice of what to wear is not being made freely.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I think the microscopic bikinis is a big reason I've always found this sport such a turn off, I think it's ridiculous to expect or encourage the women to wear them.  On top of that, I was just watching and I can't remember the last time I heard such arrogant commentary.  The announcers must have spent a good 10 minutes talking to Misty May Treanor about the time she made a young Italian rival (who was playing in this game) cry during their match.  I mean it was when 2016? 2012?  And Misty wouldn't lay off the snark about it.  Then they read the Greek umpire's name in a comical manner, then spoke almost condescendingly about the Brazilian rivals to the men's team.  Meanwhile mentioning that the American men had just fired their coach in the middle of the games. No criticism of course.

• Mind Blown 3
(edited)

I switched to one of the alternate network's Olympic coverage ... maybe USA.  A woman's beach volleyball game was in progress; and sorry but I don't know which countries were involved. Maybe one was Canada. They were wearing red bikinis.

One of the women in front of the net bent completely over for wee bit.  (probably way less but felt like way more) All you could see was a narrow string down the back of her cr**ck.  Her complete rear end was on display. The camera was shooting from the back;  and it just stayed there. I know that the less cloth you wear in the heat, the more comfortable you are. But playing in the heat and sun...how comfortable could one be with a bathing suit riding up/in like that?

Edited by Kemper
  • Like 3

Well...let's hope those whiney guy viewers returned after their initial mega pout so they could see that player in her thong bikini.

I do recall a protest amongst the players a few years ago re: having to wear bikinis.

• Like 2
On 8/8/2024 at 5:49 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I watched some of the men's beach volleyball and I felt so bad for them, having to contend with the sand and weather in tank tops and baggy shorts.  It's a wonder they could play at all.

Sorry, late to comment;

I mean, if the women have to be 'cheeks out' in bikinis, can the men at least be topless? If the difference wasn't so HUGE between the men and women's outfits (for no real functional reason), it wouldn't be an issue.

• Like 7