Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

(edited)
9 hours ago, Makai said:

I think most find him to be a somewhat boring gymnast that NBC has been overhyping because it fit the “good old boy overcoming the odds” narrative they wanted to put forth.

Loved how NBC blew so much time on his hagiographic pre-taped bio piece the other night, and then he proceeded to bomb in the qualification round.

7 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

He went on a now deleted Twitter rampage a few years ago. He revealed who he was. 

Oh, come on -- you can't just tease me like that!  I need details!

Edited by Demian
Too many spaces. Ugh!
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, NUguy514 said:

Asher Hong's incessant bellowing after a good routine is also really grating. 

Boy howdy.  As I said above, I don't follow this sport, but I'm watching the NBC prime time coverage now, and he acted like he'd nailed the greatest floor routine ever after a performance in which he stepped out, took hops, etc.  It was by no means a failure, but not at all warranting that degree of celebration. 

1 hour ago, Demian said:

Oh, come on -- you can't just tease me like that!  I need details!

Same, because a cursory internet search isn't yielding any results, given all the recent coverage.  But the hints had me side-eyeing my TV when that package about the small-town Georgia guy was followed by one of the announcers saying he's a "product of his upbringing" -- sounds like that's probably true in a bunch of ways I would hate.

(Also, if he's not competing in anything as an individual and only on one apparatus for the team final [if I understood what was said correctly], why the hell does he get a package to begin with?  Because his momma's dead and he later had to rehabilitate after an injury?  That's not exactly a unique story.)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Is Everyone Gone said:

I'm still salty over that "Aliya is a diva" narrative, as there was literally zero evidence Aliya was a diva. It was actually the opposite: she was often cheering loudly for her competitors, even when her teammates sat and sulked. 

Yes, she was always very gracious to her competitors and as you say, especially in contrast to her teammates (I'm looking at YOU, Viktoria Komova, who literally pouted on the 2011 AA podium throughout the ceremony and then after 2015 Worlds hinted that the US, who'd taken Team gold while the Russians didn't even medal, were using steroids. As some brilliant wag Tweeted, "Steroids don't help you stay on the beam, Vika!" (She'd fallen during Team finals (I think).))

It's a shame because the Russian gymnasts whose gymnastics I frequently like the most (Vika, Sveta)--I tend to detest their personalities and their poor sportsmanship.

4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Same, because a cursory internet search isn't yielding any results, given all the recent coverage.

Once his star started rising, a handler did an extensive social media scrubbing.

Yes, the excessive fist-pumping of the US men's team is annoying and rarely warranted. I will say, I'm very happy for them today. But dial back the excessive and premature self-coronations.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Bastet said:

(Also, if he's not competing in anything as an individual and only on one apparatus for the team final [if I understood what was said correctly], why the hell does he get a package to begin with?  Because his momma's dead and he later had to rehabilitate after an injury?  That's not exactly a unique story.)

Brody competed on multiple events in the team final today (all but floor) - he Jordyn Wieber'd it. But no, he qualified for no individual finals (only Nedoroscik qualified for an event final and Richard and Juda qualified for the AA final).

He gets a media package because he's the current National Champ and NBC is in love with him. He's a white boy from the South who used to do rodeo. He also smashed his leg open and had to learn to walk again. (All things I've learned about Brody were against my will during various meets in the last two months). They have to run it tonight because you won't see him again in competition and on Saturday night he shit the bed on multiple events.

I saw Fred Richard also got a media package tonight, which is nice to have him finally recognized as well.

Asher Hong has been a gymternet phenom since he was a tiny junior at the age of 11 or whatever like 8 years ago. People have been dying for him to turn senior, which I'm sure has played into his ego. He does do hard vaults, but falls or takes huge steps a lot of time, so it's not always worth IMO.

I've only been following men's gymnastics closely for a couple of years, mostly due to Ian Gunther's TikTok. That introduced me to Khoi Young and some of the other Stanford gymnasts who want to play (Asher is usually not involved). I went to Nationals last year (where the arena was maybe 1/3 full?) and that's where I saw Fred Richard and promptly fell in love with his air flares on floor and his high bar. I do wish more folx would follow men's gym because it can be really great and if they had more fans, they'd probably get more funding.

• Useful 1
35 minutes ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

Asher Hong has been a gymternet phenom since he was a tiny junior at the age of 11 or whatever like 8 years ago.

I watched a bit on PBS tonight where Apolo Ohno admitted that, once he'd conquered speed skating, he had no idea what to do with the rest of his life.

I wonder about gymnastic's "Clark Kent," but he's already on track to a career.  The other guys on the team, though? I hope they all have Plan Bs.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Demian said:

I wonder about gymnastic's "Clark Kent," but he's already on track to a career.  The other guys on the team, though? I hope they all have Plan Bs.

yeah the one thing i kept hearing about the Canadian Mens team was how they were all university (or in university) and studying kinesiology and all that other stuff. also as gymnasts they can easily open up their own gyms - go into analyst work etc. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Demian said:

I watched a bit on PBS tonight where Apolo Ohno admitted that, once he'd conquered speed skating, he had no idea what to do with the rest of his life.

The structure of USA gymnastics encourages male gymnasts to participate in the collegiate system. Paul and Fred are at Michigan, Asher is at Stanford and Brody graduated from Stanford last year. 

Unfortunately the women’s elite system has traditionally discouraged participation in the collegiate system. That is changing somewhat with recent rule changes but it is still more disruptive for women is the collegiate system than for their male counterparts. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
9 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Yes, she was always very gracious to her competitors and as you say, especially in contrast to her teammates (I'm looking at YOU, Viktoria Komova, who literally pouted on the 2011 AA podium throughout the ceremony and then after 2015 Worlds hinted that the US, who'd taken Team gold while the Russians didn't even medal, were using steroids. As some brilliant wag Tweeted, "Steroids don't help you stay on the beam, Vika!" (She'd fallen during Team finals (I think).))

The thing I really remember about London in 2012 (other than McKayla's vault, of course!) was Vika constantly crying. I wonder if she had some kind of influence on Aliya, because while Aliya was also in tears in London, in Rio she seemed super chill about everything and happy with the team silver.

• Like 2

I  don't get why the producers think they need a "villain" on one of the other teams to craft a compelling narrative.

The Olympic moments I treasure the most are when countries come together to support and help one another, not when the Sainted USA Athlete beats the Evil Doer. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 6

It's not always the Sainted USA beating the Evil Russians or Chinese. Remember in 2008 NBC milked that Shawn/Nastia rivalry for the individual all-around. They just want a good storyline.

• Like 6
12 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

It's not always the Sainted USA beating the Evil Russians or Chinese. Remember in 2008 NBC milked that Shawn/Nastia rivalry for the individual all-around. They just want a good storyline.

But there was that "the Chinese are half-people!" joke that Bela and Marta thought was HILARIOUS so NBC kept repeating it.

• Angry 3

I don’t mind that NBC emphasizes on the US athletes.  After all, their base is US  viewership. But rather than the glossy bios, show the complete  routines of the few non-US top competitors, rather than bits & pieces.

• Like 8

NBC has actually shown a good variety of routines so far. It helps, I think, that there are only three competitors per country per apparatus.

Simone not doing the yurchenko double pike probably shows the US strategy of "just don't fuck this up and we'll win gold."

• Like 2
(edited)

Nice vault from Jade. She looks better today. 

I fell for the Japanese girl that fell on beam. No matter the country I want everyone to perform well

Edited by kittykat
  • Like 5

China also had a pretty big mess up on the uneven bars, I can't believe she saved it and didn't fall.

Simone and Jade both killed at vault, This is the USA's to lose now I think.

• Like 5

Japan kicked someone off the team for smoking and drinking beer. holy moses. That was their highest scoring person too. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
3 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

NBC has actually shown a good variety of routines so far. It helps, I think, that there are only three competitors per country per apparatus.

It also helped that the US started on vault and finished before everyone else. 

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Nice vault from Jade. She looks better today. 

And since her one event left is an EF, she has tons of time to rest and take care of herself. She did her one and done for the TF.

3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Japan kicked someone off the team for smoking and drinking beer. holy moses.

Good God. Shades of Avery Brundage. They need a Simone-type to tell their federation to stop infantilizing them.

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Tara/Michelle. Micheal/Ryan. Rivalries are good for the sport and tv.

Tonya/Nancy. There's a reason the Lillehammer Olympics were the highest-rated in history.

• Like 4
(edited)

Loving the world feed. They showed at least one from every country. Even Canada got remembered.

Edited by kittykat
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
Just now, Minneapple said:

Tonya/Nancy. There's a reason the Lillehammer Olympics were the highest-rated in history.

to be fair, Tonya gave NBC that drama on a silver platter lol

2 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Good God. Shades of Avery Brundage. They need a Simone-type to tell their federation to stop infantilizing them.

it's in their code of conduct.  and it was done during the training camp situation. so i get it. i';m just amazed that they did it. (because usually when its your high scoring person that's the one you go "hey don't do it again, we see nothing." Japan doesn't play though).

• Like 5

The US' biggest competitors (China and Brazil) are falling apart on beam.

Jordan slayed her bars routine.

We were discussing the popularity of women's vs. men's gymnastics. Allll the big stars are out for today's women's final.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Daisy said:

it's in their code of conduct.  and it was done during the training camp situation. so i get it. i';m just amazed that they did it. (because usually when its your high scoring person that's the one you go "hey don't do it again, we see nothing." Japan doesn't play though).

Also, while I agree it's bonkers (and has more than a tinge of misogyny to it), she did technically break the law since the legal smoking age in Japan is 20.

• Useful 5

That balance beam is unforgiving today.  

I'm enjoying watching the Italians.  You can tell they're not as polished form wise as US but they're performing well and I'd like to see them medal 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Also, while I agree it's bonkers (and has more than a tinge of misogyny to it), she did technically break the law since the legal smoking age in Japan is 20.

Sounds like self sabotage 

The Brazillian really busted her eye. I hope she can see out of it tomorrow. Her routine was ok.

The Chinese are shitting the bed. one lady fell off twice on uneven bars I believe which open the door for some one like Italy and Brazil.

I liked commentator Laurie Hernandez a LOT better when she commented LESS.  She has become pretty inane, with some of her comments true head-scratchers (One IIRC about her heart plunging right below her ears) .  Now she is sounding like she is saying whatever comes into her head. 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

She's in France though where the smoking age is probably something like 10 knowing them. 😂

• Like 1
  • LOL 15

16 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

What is really bonkers is that their Olympic committee refused to replace her with an alternate. They are competed with a four person team. 

It was also legal where it happened so she didn’t break the law. She broke their code of conduct and the punishment was too harsh in my opinion. 

• Applause 2
14 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

We were discussing the popularity of women's vs. men's gymnastics. Allll the big stars are out for today's women's final.

That brought tears to my eyes. (To be fair, ever since Simeone landed her vault safely I've been in tears.) It's like the whole world came out to support her. I hope she really knows, deep down, how much she is loved and respected.

6 minutes ago, Arynm said:

The Brazillian really busted her eye. I hope she can see out of it tomorrow. Her routine was ok.

Flavia Saraiva is one of my favorites. I was hoping she'd get a medal these Games.

I am loving the over-the-top blinginess of everyone but especially the Brazilians! Rebeca's eye makeup is absolutely gorgeous.

The live NBC broadcast is surprisingly inclusive! Seeing a lot more of the other countries' gymnasts--Brazil, Italy, China--than I remember in Tokyo, which NBC broadcast was disgraceful. I don't think they showed even one British routine and they won the bronze!

• Like 7

Continued gratitude for the world feed; the Olympics are a lot more annoying when I don't have to watch American TV coverage.

I'm sure they're practiced at tuning out the audience, but it was terrible timing that immediately after the poor Chinese gymnast fell off the beam for the second time, the crowd erupted in applause for someone on another apparatus.

• Like 5
(edited)
6 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I am loving the over-the-top blinginess of everyone but especially the Brazilians! Rebeca's eye makeup is absolutely gorgeous.

The glitter hair of the Romanians is bringing out my inner girly girl.

3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

sure they're practiced at tuning out the audience, but it was terrible timing that immediately after the poor Chinese gymnast fell off the beam for the second time, the crowd erupted in applause for someone on another apparatus.

I noticed that too.  Simone was on bars at the time.  

Surprised China is still holding 3rd.  My guess is high start values.

Edited by kittykat

I have the multiview up on Peacock and I highly recommend. No announcers, just four routines simultaneously. I get why NBC doesn’t want to do this for their main broadcast, though.

I’m cheering for Italy to get on the podium. It’s so nice how they cheer everyone on.

Aw, look how happy Suni is! After reading and hearing about everything she’s gone through, she deserves all the good things.

• Like 10
Just now, Minneapple said:

I have the multiview up on Peacock and I highly recommend. No announcers, just four routines simultaneously. I get why NBC doesn’t want to do this for their main broadcast, though.

I’m watching the same way and it is great. I love that you can easily switch between each individual feed and the multi view. 

• Like 2
(edited)

It's a little chaotic for me.  I'll probably go back to replay by apparatus so I can view what I missed.  The world feed is great.

Beckie Downie crushed it on bars.

Edited by kittykat
(edited)

After what happened with the Chinese men, I could imagine a lot of pressure on the women.

Edited by Chaser
  • Sad 2
(edited)

I really like what I'm seeing from Brazil's Rebeca Andrade.

I just have this on in the background while I work, looking over occasionally, and every time I happen upon her she's impressive.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I really like what I'm seeing from Brazil's Rebeca Andrade.

I just have this on in the background while I work, looking over occasionally, and every time I happen upon her she's impressive.

She's amazing.  Her beam and floor routines were nervy, but she's anchoring her team like the leader she is.

Lord, that balance beam is...slippery today.

• Like 3

The US has a four-point lead going into the last rotation, which is floor exercise. (Just don't fuck it up like China yesterday and Team USA gets the gold.)

There's quite a fight for silver and bronze, though. Italy, Great Britain, China, Canada and Brazil all in contention.

• Like 1

I don't usually watch the gymnastics so I'm having a hard time understanding why the scores shown up in the left corner of my feed keep changing what looks like so drastically.

1 minute ago, Shrek said:

I don't usually watch the gymnastics so I'm having a hard time understanding why the scores shown up in the left corner of my feed keep changing what looks like so drastically.

It's basically a running tally.  For instance, Brazil just jumped into the lead because they've had an extra athlete go on vault, while Italy and USA have only had one athlete go on floor.

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Because the scores are updated with each score.  Scores that seem dramatically lower most likely have not had all their athletes compete yet.  

• Useful 1
(edited)

Italy is messing up on floor.  Damn I hope this doesn't knock them out but it's soooooo close between all these teams for silver.

GB is having a great second half here.

Mr. Kat: man the US is just showing off now.

Edited by kittykat
  • Like 1