Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Call It Macaroni

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

The Season 2 opener finds Voight under scrutiny by Internal Affairs as the Sheldon Jin murder investigation gets underway. Meanwhile, an undercover job goes awry; Burgess meets her new partner; and Lindsay visits her mother.

This thread will open at 11:00 p.m. ET once the episode finishes airing on the east coast.

Thought the season premiere was great. I like that they had resolution for the dead tech (could never remember his name). When his mom came to see Voight I teared up. Loved that he gave dad money to pay off the bookie/loan shark.

I just can't get w/Burgess. When show first started I really liked her character. Now all I keep thinking when she's on screen is will she please shut the fuck up. Immediately. As a matter of fact, her and the boyfriend can go, or get shot, any god damn time. The team will mourn and move on, just like the audience.

Voight really does have 9 lives. Or at least an ace in the hole to save his butt. It's not like he was really ever going anywhere, but still wondered how they were gonna get his ass out of this mess this time.

Nadia was sweet. But keep her to small doses. Laughed out loud at Voight telling her she didn't have to stand-up every time she talked to him.

And wasn't Markie Post a nice surprise. I tweeted "long time no c". I was unspoiled so I had no idea. Haven't seen her since Night Court, and that show she did w/John Ritter & Billy Bob Thornton. We already know what hellish times they were when Lindsey was a teen, so this should be interesting. Mom is obviously looking for forgiveness and redemption. And sure Lindsey will spend season trying not to give it to her.

All in all a good start. Certainly better than the boring Chicago Fire.

• Love 2

just can't get w/Burgess. When show first started I really liked her character. Now all I keep thinking when she's on screen is will she please shut the fuck up. Immediately. As a matter of fact, her and the boyfriend can go, or get shot, any god damn time. The team will mourn and move on, just like the audience.

I feel the same. Her bland naivety is a pain and I find her expectation to make Intelligence so childish. Who cares if she's a better fit, her school girl crush on Ruzek ruined it. I don't think she's been hard done by here.

All in all a good start. Certainly better than the boring Chicago Fire.

I know right? It's such a pity this forum isn't more active.

I guess I am alone in liking Burgess and Ruzek, not necessarily together. I don't hate them together either.

I thought that this was a very good start to the season and glad that Jin's murder is already wrapped up.

I am also glad that the whole IAB thing is over with. For me, that was a drag storyline, even when the female head (not sure of her name) was running it.

• Love 4

I also really liked this episode and think the season started well.

I loved how Voight fucked up the IA bastard. He's shady, and I'm not sure I'd like such a character in real life, but he makes for one that I love to watch on TV  - and I usually prefer good guys. And I loved the Antonio/Voight moment in the end.

I like very much the addition of Nadia (and looking at S1 and CF's track record, I wonder if she'll be paired with conveniently dumped Antonio, or Voight himself).

I have to say I'm meh on Atwater's place in Intelligence (although dressed down by Voight, ouch!) and imo they should start developping his character a bit since he's quite of an empty shell so far. I have nothing particular against the character, then, but I would have preferred they kept Jin, or Sumner instead.

I guess I am alone in liking Burgess and Ruzek, not necessarily together. I don't hate them together either.

Nope, I really like them, too. Moreso since they didn't go the cheating/waffling route; and they were genuine friends before they got involved. It seems that getting together didn't make them lose the fun side of their relationship in order to macerate in angst and drama, which I appreciate.

Burgess seems a little bit too vanilla, but one or two of her reactions last year made me think she could be more of a bitch in sheep's clothing.

They also toned down Ruzek's "Rebel without a cause" side, which suits him. I also love his partnership with Olinsky. And my Olinsky love is still going strong with this episode.

On the other hand, my Jay dislike is still going strong (and I still hope that my favorite, Erin, will never be saddled with him). My favorite relationship (non-romantic) is Voight and Lindsay and I will be more than miffed if Jay tries to get "between" them. He's free to doubt Voight, who is no angel; but for me he had no business pushing Erin to doubt him, or to criticize her trust in him -that isn't blind trust, either. She knows who Voight is, or at least I've been told and showed so during the first season.

• Love 1

I heart Brooke Davis, in all her incarnations. "Email me."

Love the addition of Nadia, altho am wary of potential relapse.

Thought the shootout was well done. Cracked up at Ruzek's "Popcorn! popcorn! POPCORN!!"

Do we (the audience) know Antonio got dumped? i can't remember if i read it here, or saw it on Chicago Fire or if it happened last season. So we know, but the squad doesn't know?

Platt is a pill. I like her on CF with Mouch, but i can only stand so much of her bitchiness. I liked Antonio looking out for the CI. Not sure what to make of the impulsive kiss (i thought that was normal, and in character for this girl) but his rubbing of his lips after was weird.

I love Olinsky as well.

Am I delusional that on Chicago Fire Platt was very plainly pregnant, but last night she looked just the same as ever?  I admit that I pay very little attention to CF, but I swore there was a lot of talk about her pregnancy.  Tell me I'm wrong, and I'll go see about some meds.  

• Love 1

Am I delusional that on Chicago Fire Platt was very plainly pregnant, but last night she looked just the same as ever?  I admit that I pay very little attention to CF, but I swore there was a lot of talk about her pregnancy.  Tell me I'm wrong, and I'll go see about some meds.  

Um, I do not remember this at all. She *was wearing a flowy shirt. However, I admit that I was pissed about Shay, so maybe I wasn't paying attention. But i do not think she is pg. Save some pink pills for me!

• Love 1

It's been a tough, tough week at work, my mind is preoccupied with a scary situation with a student, and I am more than willing to believe that I: 1) dreamed it; 2) hallucinated it; 3) saw it on some other show and got mixed up.  Pretty, pretty pink pills for all. 

• Love 1

I liked Voight in this episode, but that was probably because he wasn't torturing anybody or otherwise violating anyone's rights. When he gets back to that, I'll probably go back to disliking him. Also, the scene with Jin's mother was way too on the nose for me. Couldn't the writers think of a better way to deliver that message than to have her go out of her way to travel to the police station in order to deliver a heart-tugging story? Her son has just died and the first thing she wants to tell his boss is, "He was doing what he wanted and thank you for giving him the opportunity?" The same point could have been made by simply having Voight visit the Jins at their home for some reason and noticing a picture of him which causes the mother to reminisce.

I'm indifferent to Burgess and Ruzek. I disliked Ruzek because he wasn't being honest to his fiance about what he was doing (he couldn't even manage to tell her that he's in the Intelligence unit), so I guess he's better with Burgess who will understand his work. However, I really miss the dynamic between Burgess and Atwater. They had a great brother/sister dynamic going on and brought some levity to the episodes. I hate her new partner. He has a problem with a female partner? Really? And am I supposed to be sympathetic because he fell in love with his previous partner? It's all so retrograde.

Another missed opportunity was when the CI kissed Antonio on the lips. I was waiting for Platt to make a wisecrack and it never came.

• Love 1

I thought that this was a very good start to the season and glad that Jin's murder is already wrapped up.

I am also glad that the whole IAB thing is over with. For me, that was a drag storyline, even when the female head (not sure of her name) was running it.

Jin. That was his name. Thank you. Lol. I was worried that it was gonna drag on forever, along w/Voight's guilt. Hopefully giving that money to the Dad nips that right in the bud. Although w/all the crap Voight has pulled, seen and unseen, I'm sure he has enough angst, and dead bodies in his closet, to keep him in storyline for centuries.

And the constant IAB crap is wearing thin. The audience knows exactly what Voight is, and so do most, if not all of his team. So either end him, or move on. Every week waiting for IAB to pull the trigger bores me to no end. Doesn't matter who is running the investigation. Just fire him, put him back in jail, or let it go.

I heart Brooke Davis, in all her incarnations. "Email me."

Love the addition of Nadia, altho am wary of potential relapse.

Do we (the audience) know Antonio got dumped? i can't remember if i read it here, or saw it on Chicago Fire or if it happened last season. So we know, but the squad doesn't know?

I love Olinsky as well.

There really is something hot about Lindsey. I didn't watch OTH, but my son did, and had the hots for her. Just like Jason Beghe's/Voight's voice (and I think both actors have had probs w/their vocal chords), her raspy-ness only adds to the character.

I worry about Nadia relapsing to. Hoping that we will get a line thrown in about her going to meetings or something. Just don't want to end up w/a drugs missing from lock-up scenario...

I thought the same thing about Antonio. When did we find out he had split w/the wife? Did I miss it/completely forget it?

And Olinsky is the business. Loved the character ever since that ep where we find out he's living n the converted garage to be near the daughter.

• Love 1

I feel the same. Her bland naivety is a pain and I find her expectation to make Intelligence so childish. Who cares if she's a better fit, her school girl crush on Ruzek ruined it. I don't think she's been hard done by here.

She bugs me too. I am starting to wonder if every uniformed officer bugs the desk sergeant as much as Burgess does and spends as much time at her desk. If they all do I wonder how the lady gets any work done? 

Funny to see Abby's boyfried from Ray Dononan--Jim the cop(Brian Geraghty) playing Burgess'  new partner.

I had completely forgot about Antonio's wife leaving him, even missed mentions of it last night (were there any?)  I only had my memory jogged from coming here, but yeah in the finale last season he comes home to an empty house.

Antonio was mentionened on Chicao Fire, Dawson(sis) said he was having a hard time.

Great episode. Much better then the super depressing Chicago Fire (rip Shay).

How long is it supposed to have been since Jin's murder?

Now that Voight's secret about IA is out, I was hoping we'd have gotten a scene between him and Lindsey as she's clearly feeling very betrayed. I also liked the bit with her mother and am looking forward to seeing more on that.

How old is Nadia supposed to be? Last season I thought they referred to her as being a teenager (between 17 and 19) but Lindsay was telling Halstead not to hit on her as if that wouldn't be weird despite her being a kid.

I can't take Kim's ambition for Intelligence seriously anymore. The one thing Voight said was that he didn't want team members dating but now she thinks that she can have a secret relationship with Ruzek and nobody will suss this out? The naivety levels are shocking.

Roman didn't make a huge impression. I don't really care for his ~I fell in love with my partner sob story but at least it shut Burgess up about him being sexist.

Halstead is ok in small doses. I appreciate his need to stay moral but I find him to be way to eager to jump on his high horse at any given opportunity. I can see why Jin sent him the usb stick out of all of them though.

I'm predicting that Atwater goes the Jin route this season. There is just no interest in giving him anything storyline wise.Reply

Edited by Chas411

Lindsey trusted Voight and thought she knew him.  Halstead asked her earlier in the episode (because of the USB drive from Jin) if Voight could be mixed up with IA and she was mad he asked - like it was an absurd idea. Halstead also wondered if Voight could be connected to Jin's death, and she was appalled. So now she feels stupid, angry, betrayed. Halstead said she didn't know everything about the man, and he was right. It will be interesting to see where she goes from here with Voight and Halstead, since trust is such a big issue for her.

How long is it supposed to have been since Jin's murder?

I think it's been six weeks or so. In the scene between Halstead and Platt about the envelope and it going to his old precinct, Halstead mentions that the envelope had been mailed six weeks ago.

Lindsey trusted Voight and thought she knew him.  Halstead asked her earlier in the episode (because of the USB drive from Jin) if Voight could be mixed up with IA and she was mad he asked - like it was an absurd idea. Halstead also wondered if Voight could be connected to Jin's death, 

Speaking of Halstead and the USB drive, if you are giving it to Voight and you don't trust him, why the hell wouldn't you make a copy of the contents before handing it over. I mean you would have had to have put it in a computer to view the contents. And it is not like copying something on a computer is very difficult.

I think Halstead WANTS to believe in Voight, but Voight is so shifty that it's hard to get a handle on him.  Halstead, I think, also wants to respect Lindsey's feelings regarding Voight.  I actually like Halstead's actions because he is the one guy who isn't drinking the Voight kool-aid like everyone else.  He has questions, and he voices them, but he also gives Voight the benefit of the doubt.  Let's be clear, after Halstead watched the USB drive, he gave it to Voight, and Voight was NOT going to do anything about it in order to save his own butt.  That's what pissed off Halstead.  He was basically saying "I gave you the evidence to get Jin's killer, and you're not going to do anything about it?"  That would piss me off too.  Voight only changed his mind after talking with Jin's mother.  Ironically, Halstead shook Voight's hand because he put himself on the line to bring Jin's killer to justice and Lindsey is now pissed.  Bizarre.

• Love 1

Yeah when you put it like Jay does come out as the most grounded one on the force. I would have thought it would have been Antonio out of the bunch but I suppose he's got his own issues.

Considering how betrayed Lindsay feels, I'll be curious to see if her trust is wavered for good after this.