Type keyword(s) to search

AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS: Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders - Anticipation

• Start Topic

News and speculation about the upcoming Netflix series. 

I'm so looking forward to the show - I'm really interested to see how they balance a clear admiration from the organisation with the many problematic elements of it. I think Cheer Season 2 did a good job of this but season 1 was so "Monica is amazing and that's all there is to say" when there were clearly more nuanced stories to tell. 

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely excited for the Netflix run. I am really surprised they even managed to secure it - that is a major, impressive feat!!

But I am also having bittersweet nostalgia for MTT, because right now in Dallas they are gearing up for finals and the start of training camp. It's that time of year when we could feel it building from auditions all the way to announcement of the final team.

• Like 5

When I first heard of the show I was super excited, but after seeing the promo and gossip on Reddit about VK and TK I'm kind of meh.  I am interested in a show about the team.  I am not interested in a reality show about Victoria Kalina.

• Like 16

Dayton's posted a pic on her ig story in an outfit that I'm not sure if its from her 2 auditions or its new one that we've not seen (well I haven't anyway). It looks new outfit meaning she tried out. I hope I'm wrong anyway

• Like 1
(edited)
On 6/16/2024 at 11:41 AM, ExtremeFajitas said:

We're back, y'all!  So fun to see some familiar names posting about the new show.  I've been (mostly lurking) over on Reddit and it's just not the same.

I'm a fan from the CMT show.  Just changed my profile pic and screen name because of the Days Of Our Lives forum here :).  Those folks are my favorite Days couple.

Edited by JarlenaFan2024
added something
  • Like 2
(edited)

I just rewatched the last season of DCC: MTT to refresh my memory about Ava.  I’m excited to see how she has matured over the last few years. 

Edited by TUOwl84
  • Like 3

It is already 20 June in my timezone, but the show will only go live around 1pm my time! (According to Kelcey's IG reminder.) 

I hope the series lived up to our exoectations and shows new sides of the DCC!

• Like 1

Just finished the first episode and already TK is looking a mess. I got such an ick from the little bit of Dance Mom-ing I saw in the first episode. So far, I like that the show has a slightly different vibe and style from MTT, but I also enjoy the familiarity of the old show watching auditions and love seeing familiar faces. I know some of that will change when the episodes go past training camp and into the season and I'm looking forward to that too. 

Spoiler

In the opening moments, when they show glimpses ahead from the season, there is a police officer and mention of pressing charges, so I think we will get to see some of what was discussed in the Reddit thread. I am here for it!

• Like 6

Ari’s cut was so hard to watch since. I thought Charlotte was heartless in her explanation of how to cut her. You could clearly tell Kelli was uncomfortable. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
6 hours ago, DCC-UK said:

I'm watching right now, hoping to binge all 7 episodes today!

I've finished the show and have lots of thoughts! I'll wait until everyone has finished though so I don't spoil anything.

• Like 4
(edited)

First episode thoughts:

Spoiler

1. YAS - they got the rights to use Thunderstruck for music. FINALLY.
2. You cannot take Texas out of most of these ladies.
3. Were they so hard on Victoria so it didn't look like nepotism? I mean, wow. I was crying for VK and usually I am pretty neutral on her.
3. Anna Kate's FEET. Of course, Kelli and her feet would now be bestowed onto Caroline's sister. So glad Netflix kept the tradition going.
4. The judges comments during auditions haven't changed, just as catty and negative as usual. I thought maybe they had evolved a bit from MTT days. No, they have not.
5. THANK YOU KAT for saying it. You make as much as a chick-fil-a worker! Charlotte can spin it however the hell she wants but PAY YOUR CHEERLEADERS. Wanting to be there and perform with your passion for dance and earning decent pay is mutually exclusive!  Oh Charlotte, did you practice that speech in the mirror first?? UGH.
5. Reece and that baby voice. I am an instrument to show JESUS. If this takes off with a wider audience, the internet is going to exploit the hell out of it. 

I loved it. I haven't watched the rest of the episodes yet. I think I loved it though because I am a true fan from the 2 hr special up til now. For a new audience, I wonder how it will take?

Edited by StellaCL
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

I wonder if there's ever been a non-Christian or even atheist DCC. If there hasbeen, I wonder how they cope with the heavy emphasis from teammates on a Christian God.

Reece's voice annoys me, and surprisingly, so does Kelcey's! Separate extremes.

Vk's birthday scene is a little shocking. I wish Kat had elaborated more on Victoria's year away and how happy she was that VK was able to expereince life as a 22 year old! 

• Like 5

Also, I forgot to add...

Episode 1 (that is all I have watched so far) they make it look so impossible to actually make it to training camp.... will that have a negative effect with a wider audience? Will they get less candidates that would be great DCC because it looks so extreme? 
Interesting balance for sure.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, TUOwl84 said:

Ari’s cut was so hard to watch since. I thought Charlotte was heartless in her explanation of how to cut her. You could clearly tell Kelli was uncomfortable. 

I thought that made Kelli look weak. She’s been doing this long enough. She’s cut a lot of people she liked before. 

• Like 3
(edited)

Episode 2 first thoughts:

Spoiler

1. The background music - it's now reverent and churchy when showing the stadium and poppy orchestral when showing training camp. It feels ... odd. I loved the Dolly Parton song at the end though.  

2. I cried watching the vets get cut. I wish they had showed more of the WHYs. Christina, Kali, and Kayla handled it so well. 

3. LOVE Evan Miller! He is the only one that referenced VK taking a year off so far. I wonder if they will talk about this more or gloss over it completely.

4. Reece - where is this going? The door has been opened WIDE for internet fodder. I wasn't a Reece fan when she posted her hunting kill on IG, but always gave her credit for being a great dancer. I am starting to fear for her once the internet gets ahold of her Jesus loving dumbfoundedness. Oh man. This is a ride that no one wants to be on.

5. I wish they showed more of the TCCs and vets. It's weird to me the only TCC being interviewed is Reece, but I guess there is no way to focus on all 44 in training camp. 

I still love they made this show. I am so impressed they pulled it off, to be honest. 

Edited by StellaCL
  • Like 4

Wait hold on. I’m still at work and haven’t exactly bought a Netflix pass (tbh I haven’t used Netflix in years, I’ve had Amazon prime and Disney plus free for years with my mobile network so didn’t feel the need to have Netflix when I have these 2 free of charge with my mobile network). But has Netflix put all the episodes been put on there? Or are they being released on a weekly basis thing? I’ve not had Netflix in years.

I know Disney plus and Amazon prime and Apple TV shows new shows on a weekly basis etc even if it’s filmed all in one go etc

First thoughts episodes 3 and 4:

Spoiler

Well.... told myself I would watch only 1 episode today. Haha, did not happen.

1. The reverence for not tarnishing the star. Oh course that gets worked in! Can't have Charlotte Jones without it. 

2. Not sure why they included Kelly's backstory of her parents getting divorced. Remined me of the MTT days where they were digging for any sort of emotion. Lots of kids have parents that sacrifice and get divorced. It probably could have been cut from the show really.

3. Caroline calling it gatorade - LOL. You know she wanted to say Kool Aid, but couldn't make herself go completely to the cult reference. 

4.  Madeline's story. OOF that was hard. I really like that us fans got to hear her story. I am surprised she didn't retire early, but then again the routine of DCC probably brought her a lot of happiness and comfort. She hasn't been the strongest on the field, but she seems to know her weaknesses.

4. WHY DIDNT THEY TELL ARI she was too short in 2022! I know Kelli pushed for 37 and Judy said 37 was Charly, but I really think Kelli's 37 was Ariana. I think if Charlotte said ok to 38, they may have even taken 38. I am not sure why Brooklyn has gotten a pass, she must have performed great in training camp.

5. Loved the religion overlap with the implied cultish vibes of DCC. TPTB may not love it, but they opened the door wide for that one. 

6. Victoria - so misunderstood. So abused online. I really think she is neurodivergent and I could write a lot about that. But for now, no. I wish she had had the right supports in place from the get go. My heart really breaks for her.

6. Watching all this, how did Kelcey not get VOTY? 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Ok, here we are….not thrilled with some of the “storyline”. ..like sitting on bed talking about mama.  Lol.  Also, seems def more scripted.  Maybe not? 

Edited by Jazzmom
(edited)
2 hours ago, Uk-Eve said:

All 7 are up. I made it through 4, and fell asleep during 5. Going to finish them up today. 

I wish we had dedicated episode threads but not sure we’ll have enough interest. Overall, I’m liking it so far for the most part.

This will probably shock Charlotte, but God probably doesn’t care about the Dallas Cowboys. 

Reese is…interesting. I have so many questions about her and her boyfriend though. She looks so young w/o all her makeup and almost a whole different person when performing. 

Also I felt bad for VK’s b-day party. She didn’t have one other family member or friend to come over?  She also has the tiniest bedroom ever.  I wish she would find her way on her own, maybe away from the Dallas area. While this series is VK (and TK 🙄) heavy, I do think I understand her a little more than previous (especially her 1st) seasons. 

Edited by Tdoc72
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

I am watching Episode 1 and I already have so many thoughts. I am writing them all down as I watch. But I don't know if I can talk about this year's TCC or anything from Making The Team since they are two completely different shows and I don't know if I can spoil anything from the potential Season 2 of the show. 

(edited)

Anybody else skeeved out about the tour guide's joke about how there'a NOT a no fraternization clause between the cheerleaders and tour guides?

I do like they bring a football so men don't touch the cheerleaders in photos!

Edited for grammar.

Edited by DizzySometimes86
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, DizzySometimes86 said:

Anybody else skeeved out about the tour guide'a joke about how there'a NOT a no fraternization clause between the cheerleaders and tour guides?

I do like they bring it the football so men don't touch the cheerleaders in photos!

That's what they said when my friend and I took a tour of The Star and the stadium last year.  Before the tour started they told us not to speak to any staff/players/cheerleaders we might encounter during the tour.  Also, I was hoping there might be cheerleaders in their locker room and there werent.  No players in theirs either.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

My thoughts on Episode 1. Also massive spoiler for future events, since this happened last year and we already know what the roster looks like, but just in case someone completely new to the DCC world is reading this (most likely not but you never know lol) 

Spoiler

1. Yikes to VK’s room. It’s cute if it was a little girl’s room but kinda cringe knowing how old VK is.

2. Why are they doing their last year as their “class of” for this documentary when all the alumni wear their rookie year in their jerseys. Wouldn’t it make sense to showcase their rookie year instead of their last year? 

3. They used the infamous toilet video audition from Season 15 or 16. So they are showcasing old audition tapes for the documentary?

4. VK has a good point in that “why can’t we keep the uniform when it’s customized to their body?” but I think it’s because they don’t want the iconic uniform to be tainted, plus I think they don’t make the fabric for some of the uniform pieces anymore so they have to reuse them, but I’m not sure about that last part so don’t quote me on that. 

5. Charlotte’s excuse to the NFL cheerleaders not getting paid a lot is such BS. Like yes you do it because you love it but that’s still not an excuse. But we already know that.

6. Anisha, Charly and Reece’s solos SLAPPED!!!

7. Viktoria solo was so bad. It's showing watching this back knowing that she made the team over other vets. 

8. The woman that mentioned the typecasting (I don’t remember her name), finally someone is being brutally honest about their criteria lol.

9. Scott the resident Viktoria hater is back. But let’s be honest, he was right. Kelli is just making excuses for her at this point.

10. So they’re doing weight cuts again. I always thought that Cristina O. was cut due to her weight, but I never said anything because it’s 2024 (well 2023 at the time) and I thought that maybe they were past that aspect of cutting vets due to weight. That’s what I get for giving DCC the benefit of the doubt lol. Also that weight comment on Kayla, I was like "where? I don't see it" Honestly? I think it was the wig that made her face shape look rounder but I'm pretty sure that's the hairstyle that DCC gave her, so....😬

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I am liking the docu style so far.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I am so glad that I checked to see if there was a thread for this. I have missed MTT so much, and was so happy to find this on Netflix. My plan is to watch them tomorrow, although when I saw the previews and it seemed to be all about VK, I was kind of skeptical. But, I am going to be happy for what we have. I look forward to chatting with you all.

• Like 6

I have so many thoughts and can't wait to read what others are thinking about the show! One thought: So far, I wish there was more focus on dancing and rehearsals. Others I will put as spoilers for those who haven't gotten through as many episodes.

Spoiler

I had to pause in the middle of the scene with VK and TK filming her birthday TikTok because it's just so weird. But the thing that was too much to me was how lonely the scene seemed. It's VK's birthday, and the only people present for this candles, cake, and singing are her mom and a production team. That looks so lonely to me and the symbolism of it speaks volumes. It connects to Judy at the beginning of the series saying she wishes VK would "let go" more and make better friendships and connections with her peers and teammates. I mostly tuned out the TK and VK chatter here for various reasons over the past years, but between that Reddit thread and these episodes, it really does look like her mom did not help her socialize well over the years. Then to hear how behind in life VK feels because everything hasn't gone exactly how she and her mom planned it out and that she feels so lonely inside her family because her dad and brother don't care about her or watching her do what's most important in her life, yikes.

Also, I was so surprised to learn about Madeline S.'s dad. It is so awful and shocking and I just feel for her so much. 

• Like 4

I’ve only watched episodes one and two, and I’m really liking it so far. I don’t want to rush through all the episodes because it took so long just to get these 7, lol. What I find fascinating is that I have not followed very much of the last two seasons, and I know hardly any of these ladies. I have no idea who actually made the team last year and who was cut.  I am not liking the focus on only a few girls - especially VK. I’m in the minority (probably) because I am not a fan of her at all. 

• Like 7

I binged all seven episodes.  I actually enjoyed the series.  Theres a difference when the principals aren’t executive producers.  

I hav observations and opinions but chief among them is in regards to Victoria

As someone who previously could not stomach her I couldn’t help but feel sorry for her.  What a lonely existence.  She’s isolated and friendless and I swear her mother prefers it that way.  That birthday party reminded me of Gypsy Rose Blanchard.  

Spoiler

She needs Kat to rescue her again.  Hopefully she can get out now that she’s not re-auditioning.  Kelli and Judy had to practically spell it out for her and I’m glad she reconsidered

• Like 6
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, StellaCL said:

First thoughts episodes 3 and 4:

Hide contents

2. …Reminded me of the MTT days where they were digging for any sort of emotion. 

Lol! I always think to when Chelsea was trying out in season 7, was it? They had her talking about a friend or a cousin who got diagnosed with an illness. It literally had nothing to do with her. I always wondered why they included that. They were really digging deep for that emotion. 😂 

• LOL 1

My thoughts up until Episode 4

Spoiler

Ari's cut does not sit right with me. You can tell that Kelli didn't like Charlotte's decision. I agree that if it's a short problem a) why wasn't this told when she made it to training camp back in 2022? and b) why don't you have a minimum height requirement for DCC? Also Kelli almost let it slip that she doesn't like the online audition process lol. Now we know why Ari gave up on DCC and went to the Miami Dolphins. I sincerely hope she makes the team over there. It's times like this where I just really don't like Charlotte lol.

I cried my booty off on Madeline's segment because I resonated a lot with her story. Like I had to take a break from watching it.

Viktoria...I think someone already mentioned it but there's something about her that leads me to believe that maybe she's neurodivergent. But I don't wanna go down that route because I am not going to "diagnose" someone based on their demeanor. I am not a licensed professional and I also don't know her personally. Also Viktoria says that she has gone to therapy, so if a therapist, who's a licensed professional hasn't diagnosed her, then maybe we shouldn't assume things. 

I think I am done with DCC for today. I'll watch the rest of the episodes tomorrow.

8 hours ago, M1977G said:

I have so many thoughts and can't wait to read what others are thinking about the show! One thought: So far, I wish there was more focus on dancing and rehearsals. Others I will put as spoilers for those who haven't gotten through as many episodes.

Hide contents

I had to pause in the middle of the scene with VK and TK filming her birthday TikTok because it's just so weird. But the thing that was too much to me was how lonely the scene seemed. It's VK's birthday, and the only people present for this candles, cake, and singing are her mom and a production team. That looks so lonely to me and the symbolism of it speaks volumes. It connects to Judy at the beginning of the series saying she wishes VK would "let go" more and make better friendships and connections with her peers and teammates. I mostly tuned out the TK and VK chatter here for various reasons over the past years, but between that Reddit thread and these episodes, it really does look like her mom did not help her socialize well over the years. Then to hear how behind in life VK feels because everything hasn't gone exactly how she and her mom planned it out and that she feels so lonely inside her family because her dad and brother don't care about her or watching her do what's most important in her life, yikes.

Also, I was so surprised to learn about Madeline S.'s dad. It is so awful and shocking and I just feel for her so much. 

But are you surprised about vk’s birthday was that “lonely” tho? I wouldn’t wish that on anyone but with all the rumours of vk’s actions esp when mtt was on and tk there to “mommy-fy” her. You can’t really blame anyone for not wanting to “be friends” with her. She’s literally a “work colleague” you tolerate because you work with her.

One rumor that springs to mind is that phone cover she stole a few years ago. Like she can’t be that broke that she can’t afford one?

Ive not watched the show yet but who said vk’s room is small. Small as in Harry potters cupboard small?

• Like 4
56 minutes ago, Uk-Eve said:

Ive not watched the show yet but who said vk’s room is small. Small as in Harry potters cupboard small?

She has bookshelf space and a high ceiling but her bed doesn't seem queen or king size.  Maybe this is elitist of me, but I would expect an adult to want a queen size bed. Maybe, though, her parents can't afford her one....

I could be wrong, though, and her bed is much bigger. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Tina and VK's dad are still married?  When she spoke of her dad never coming to her dance recitals, it was very sad.  My daughter is a dancer at a non-competitive studio and dance recitals is one of the few times we get to see her perform.  I can't imagine her dad ever missing those.  The way VK and Tina spoke about him didn't seem like they were super close.  I was also somewhat surprised by their home.  I was always under the impression that they were very wealthy.

• Like 1

I find the backstories interesting but too long. I’m starting to ff thru some of them. I’d rather see more in studio or info from those behind the scenes - like the woman who said she always stays w/the cut girls until they leave. That was a nice bit of info. 

• Like 3

I could not stand all the god talk.  It was way too heavy handed IMO.  I also didn't like that it was partly the Victoria show. 

Spoiler

The entitlement that Victoria showed in the last episode with Judy and Kelly, basically wanting to be promised that she wouldnt be cut and she would be made a leader if she went for a 5th year was unbelievable.  Victoria this kind of thing is why people don't like you.  

• Like 9
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2

Is it me or is the "cinematography" WAY better with Netflix than CMT?

When the girls do the jump split at the end and pose are the ends of their fingers supposed to be touching the turf?

• Like 1

The whole Victoria-thing made me sad. This new show will do nothing to redeem her in the eyes of MTT-fans. TK is a proper helicopter mom and the way Victoria still clings to her (and Tina to Victoria) is quite worrying.

Spoiler

The moment where Judy confirms Victoria doesn’t fit in with the team and basically is on her own…. It confirms what was said a few years back here on the forum. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Still can’t believe how gung ho TK and VK were going into this show!  Didn’t they see this coming???  Wonder what their thoughts are now, that they are watching it back?  Poor VK… she is living the real life version of the reality show “s’mothered.”

• Like 3