Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Seeking Common Ground

• Start Topic

The Merrifields invite a potential sister wife into their home for the weekend without telling Nathalia; the Davises put their bed to the test when Jasmine come over for a slumber party; Yary makes it clear to Justin she wants him for herself.

Original air date 2024.05.20

• Like 1

Dannielle seems to be interested in Miriam. She is so desperate for a friend the pain of loneliness surrounds her. Then they have the great moment of consideration that she is Muslim, not (holy ghost as Ick's semen, uniquely bastardized to help Ick hit it with women far out of his league) Christian. 

I can understand her finding Ick attractive based on first looks only. Give her a moment when he's sitting there slack-jawed, looking like a fish out of water, wearing his too tight tank top and any attraction will be gone. We know he's going to start pawing her in his highschooler in the back of daddy's car way. I don't see her falling all over him, unless she accidentally falls on him if she trips trying to run away. 

And then we have team Nick. It's clear from the talking heads that Jasmine is not going to work out. They are openly laughing at her. While she is odd with her experiences with blue, etc., she is not wrong to want to know them before having sex. She had one "date" with the wives and one with Nick. Now she's expected to jump in the hot tub and start making out. There is not enough chlorine in the world for that hot tub. 

What I do find funny is Jasmine talks like she is trying to prove she has profound thoughts about the universe, etc. She's taking Nick's job. He's the thinker who is supposed to explain everything to his women. How dare she express thoughts.  She should just giggle and be awed that Nick is interested in her. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)

I felt so sad for Dannielle in this episode. A coming sister wife who resents her, a husband who thinks of her as along for the ride, a coming baby only she seems happy about, and almost no friends? Whatever happens with Miriam, I hope they stay friends. They should have a few more lunch dates. I'd be shocked if she didn't find Dannielle more appealing in the end.

I agree that Jasmine's musings on blue were bizarre, but I don't know where the ofNicks get off criticizing her. Jasmine was practically Proust in comparison to Nick.

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • Like 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

The whole time Jasmine was expounding on the benefits of all things blue, I was thinking "I bet this all sounds really profound if you're on whatever they're on."

Miriam really does seem quite lovely, and in my head she and Dannielle escape Ick and become great friends. I don't really see a physical attraction from Dannielle, but rather a woman who's giving everything she's got and starved for attention, finally getting someone nice who seems to be interested in what she has to say. Their lunch date was the only calm thing about this series. When the family were together eating baklava and the sister in law said she felt peace coming from Miriam, truthfully, I felt it coming off the screen too. She's just a decent human, and I respect that she's standing up for herself, drawing and enforcing her boundaries with Ick, and requiring that they, not only she, would have to make changes if they were to be together.

The audacity of the Ick family expecting her to just abandon her clearly-loved faith to become a christian when they won't even consider giving up bacon for her.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
On 5/21/2024 at 6:04 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

What I do find funny is Jasmine talks like she is trying to prove she has profound thoughts about the universe, etc. She's taking Nick's job. He's the thinker who is supposed to explain everything to his women. How dare she express thoughts.  She should just giggle and be awed that Nick is interested in her. 

Haha I had the same thoughts - he's the thinker! 😂

On 5/22/2024 at 12:26 PM, monagatuna said:

The audacity of the Ick family expecting her to just abandon her clearly-loved faith to become a christian when they won't even consider giving up bacon for her.

Ah screw that - I find it hard to believe that she's seen them on tv and is dying to get with their family 🙄  She knew what she was going into, and not becoming a Christian may be her way out the door when the cameras leave.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I'm only 10 minutes in to my recording, and I'm curious if anyone else threw up in their mouth a little, when GarrICK said "She makes me happy" (after the airport meetup) had such a grossed out, physical response, I have to ask if I'm alone.

Edited by Chalby
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 3

Still haven't finished watching the whole episode, but my attention was grabbed when I overheard, "...her wanting to conversate and..."!!

This mumble validated my feeling  that reality shows struggle with basic language skills 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
16 hours ago, Chalby said:

Still haven't finished watching the whole episode, but my attention was grabbed when I overheard, "...her wanting to conversate and..."!!

This mumble validated my feeling  that reality shows struggle with basic language skills 

It is a failed effort to sound elegant and educated when the reality is just the opposite.  One thing I notice in these shows is that we never find out how ANY of them make enough money to survive without the show.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
23 minutes ago, b2H said:

It is a failed effort to sound elegant and educated when the reality is just the opposite.  One thing I notice in these shows is that we never find out how ANY of them make enough money to survive without the show.

I'll bet most of them hire a financial planner, invest their show earnings and are able to supplement their personal incomes with a budgeted income flow.

Some might use their money for more schooling or maybe purchase a small home to avoid high rent.

Lol if only.  I've surely overdosed on these reality shows!  😂😅🤒

• LOL 5
10 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I'll bet most of them hire a financial planner, invest their show earnings and are able to supplement their personal incomes with a budgeted income flow.

Some might use their money for more schooling or maybe purchase a small home to avoid high rent.

Lol if only.  I've surely overdosed on these reality shows!  😂😅🤒

I would hope they do.  I just haven't seen any of these folks with any kind of paying job that would get them through a month without assistance.

• Like 4
On 5/25/2024 at 2:13 PM, Chalby said:

I'm only 10 minutes in to my recording, and I'm curious if anyone else threw up in their mouth a little, when GarrICK said "She makes me happy" (after the airport meetup) had such a grossed out, physical response, I have to ask if I'm alone.

You are not! 😄

As for their jobs - doesn't Garrick do construction/contracting?  You need to be smart for that, but not necessarily in a way that's apparent when you're conversating 😄. We know Nick's ladies have jobs that allow him the freedom to think.  I would assume the others just have regular old jobs that aren't interesting as far as the show goes.  They all have houses, cars, etc.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, princelina said:

You are not! 😄

As for their jobs - doesn't Garrick do construction/contracting?  You need to be smart for that, but not necessarily in a way that's apparent when you're conversating 😄. We know Nick's ladies have jobs that allow him the freedom to think.  I would assume the others just have regular old jobs that aren't interesting as far as the show goes.  They all have houses, cars, etc.

But if someone is expecting to lead the polygamist life, one needs to be financial responsibility to handle the expense of multiple adults in the house.  It is expensive with kids, but adults are a whole other story.

• Like 2

I was watching ( and maybe re-watching) an episode or two and I'm just struck by Danielle with The Thinker.

She seems pretty with it when she does her cameos, but in general, when they are all interacting  (and maybe acting lol) I am struck by her choice or attire.

I mean, could she find something smaller and more revealing to be filmed in? I think not.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
19 hours ago, b2H said:

But if someone is expecting to lead the polygamist life, one needs to be financial responsibility to handle the expense of multiple adults in the house.  It is expensive with kids, but adults are a whole other story.

Well Garrick has built that big house in anticipation, and funds lots of trips to Brazil and Mexico.  The Thinker has his women all working, and they want another worker.  The rest of them just pretend to be polygamists for the show, IMO.  They call themselves that when they have never actually achieved the goal of a second wife, so they don't need to be able to afford it 😄. The ones who have seemed sincere in the past, like the Kermits and that family who built the compound, were able to do it.

• Like 3
On 5/28/2024 at 11:19 PM, waterytart said:

Serious question - what on earth do Nick's wives get out of their arrangement? 

Methinks that Nick is likely packing a magic wand in them there trousers.

• LOL 6

Back in the day, young Garrick started a gang in his hometown. "Always Thuggin' Krew" ("...with a K"). He ran a protection racket. 😂🤣😂 You can't make this shit up.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 7
22 hours ago, Teri313 said:

Back in the day, young Garrick started a gang in his hometown. "Always Thuggin' Krew" ("...with a K"). He ran a protection racket. 😂🤣😂 You can't make this shit up.

And you know there wasn’t one actual Thug to be found in that Krew!

😁😁

• LOL 4

I know I shouldn't, because Nick doesn't work and the women do, but I like the dynamic of their little polygamy family.  I like how the women seem to genuinely get along with each other, they listen to each other, and their home seems peaceful and mostly normal aside from the huge shared bed.  

I was nodding my head in agreement when Nathalia said she broke up with the Merrifields.  I wish she had said more about Garrick demanding total submission from her.  I feel bad for Danielle, but she chooses to stay in this marriage. Garrick is major ick and just always gives me the creeps.

• Like 5