Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E12: Corn

• Start Topic

Odd choice of topic. As per this show, we got the usual bits of depressing material mixed with humor. While I think corn is a relevant topic for us to know about, it isn’t as scary as the far-right group looking to run Germany. That’s horrifying, even with the majority of Germans opposed to the group’s views. We Americans have enough shit on our plate, but something like that should qualify to be the main topic.

Up side: alternative names for Westminster Show dogs! That’s always fun. And there was no unfortunate camera angle of the miniature Poodle that won Best in Show.

• Like 4
(edited)

I do take comfort in knowing that many Germans are very much opposed to that far-right party, but yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, the fact they're even in the running at all is...terrifying, to say the very least. 

Also, that idiot being like, "Oh, I didn't know the history of that phrase." Bullshit, you did, too, you're part of a freaking party that admires the Nazis, for cripes' sakes. 

(Also, granted, I'm speaking from the American perspective here, but to that one guy talking about older people supporting that party and whatnot, uh, yeah, my mom will be 68 later this year. Our family on her side is full on German ancestry. She would never vote for this kind of party if she lived in Germany, nor would she support this kind of mindset on a general level, under any circumstnaces.) 

As for the main topic, I am not good with numbers and math at all, so a lot of the number/percentage aspects kinda went over my head, but I do know that a lot of Iowans have been very critical of the corporatization of agriculture and how it screws over local/small farmers, and there's been talk about the negative environmental impacts as well. Would that this entire segment could be played for the farmers here, I'd be really interested to see what they would have to say about it. I do like that there is a bill up for a vote that could tackle a lot of these problems - obviously not surprised there's people actively trying to keep it from going through, but hopefully they can get at least some of this stuff passed, to be a start on addressing these issues. 

"Non-liquid, non-gold". Dear god, please stop talking. I feel like he would've gotten along with "Pearl Harbor" guy. 

I almost expected a Twilight Zone/Children of the Corn reference with the bit about the kids getting lost in that cornfield, or the reporter wading through the corn stalks. Missed opportunity :p. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 5
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

"Non-liquid, non-gold". Dear god, please stop talking. I feel like he would've gotten along with "Pearl Harbor" guy. 

As well as the "Everything for Germany" guy.

It truly is horrible how many countries have strong far-right groups finding more and more followers. 

I didn't think this story should have been the dominant one. The corn story is also very important. I hope as @Annber03 does, that the bill addressing some of these problems will pass.

• Like 3
(edited)

Ugh corn. I actually think this topic is right in the show's wheelhouse.

We're all paying to support massive corn surpluses. I don't drink anything with the corn syrup in it anymore, and I haven't had beef in years. There's so much of it that they have to require its use.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Like 3

When talking about how ubiquitous it is, I’m kind of upset that John didn’t mention Shucked, the musical about corn.

All joking aside, I thought ethanol gasoline was supposed to be a good thing. Talk about the devil you know, vs the devil you don’t.

• Like 4

I loved the robot graduation speech. They are really all the same. The only difference is the big big places just can get famous people to say 'follow your dreams, take risks, lean in'. 

• Like 2
(edited)

I thought for sure John was going to put the plastic bag over his head.

The corn issue is one of those things you just feel helpless about. So many of John's topics are that way. Yeah it's awful, what can you do about it? There will never be enough votes in Congress to do anything about it.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

We're all paying to support massive corn surpluses. I don't drink anything with the corn syrup in it anymore, and I haven't had beef in years. There's so much of it that they have to require its use.

When he started talking about the subsidies that farmers get, I thought he'd mention how that's an example of those pesky "govenrment handouts" that so many people often rail against...until, of course, they're the ones who are benefitting from those handouts. 

(Even with that, though, your average farmer is still getting screwed over by the  corporate people who are taking all those subsidies.)

3 hours ago, rwlevin said:

All joking aside, I thought ethanol gasoline was supposed to be a good thing. Talk about the devil you know, vs the devil you don’t.

Same! That was a surprise detail for me, too. Just further proof that we need to keep pushing for other kinds of energy sources. 

2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I loved the robot graduation speech. They are really all the same. The only difference is the big big places just can get famous people to say 'follow your dreams, take risks, lean in'. 

That robot one was creepy. I don't blame any of the graduates for getitng unnerved by that. For a whole host of reasons. 

But yeah, some of the choices for some schools nowadays are just...baffling. Like that idiot who went on that misogynistic and homophobic rant. That's why I don't get people's surprise at the idea that students will sometimes walk out of these commencement speeches -.it's one thing if they weren't expecting the person giving the speech to get controversial, but if they hire them knowing full well there's a risk they may say something controversial, to the point that it makes students get up and leave...I mean...should they really be that surprised by that reaction? 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, rwlevin said:

When talking about how ubiquitous it is, I’m kind of upset that John didn’t mention Shucked, the musical about corn.

I loved Shucked!! 

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I thought for sure John was going to put the plastic bag over his head.

That report was from my home TV news station.  I don't remember who the reporter is and I'm not going to look it up. 

@Annber03I just want to say when I heard the subject for the main story, my first thought was of you - because Iowa and all.  And I only mean that in the best possible way!! I'm pretty sure you don't farm... 

Honestly, I already knew most of the stuff about the corn issues.  I think I watch too much news. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

@Annber03I just want to say when I heard the subject for the main story, my first thought was of you - because Iowa and all.  And I only mean that in the best possible way!! I'm pretty sure you don't farm... 

Ha, aw, thanks :D. And you are right, I do not farm, no - I honestly wouldn't know the first thing to do on a farm if you dropped me off at one. Closest I've ever been to a farm is whenever I've gone past them while driving through some part of the state.

My grandpa's family were farmers, though, so it is in our family history - and according to my mom, it actually caused a bit of a stir when my grandpa married my grandma, because he decided not to continue working on the farm after he got married, and so his family blamed my grandma for "taking him away" from the family business. It caused a rift in the family and to this day, there's some family members that spell my mom's maiden name one way and some that spell it another way as a result :p. 

So yeah. Iowans who do farm ,they take their farming VERY seriously! I do have a lot of respect for farmers and the hard work they do, and I hate that they are yet another group of people who get screwed over by corporate interests who will game the system for their own benefit. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

So what John is saying is that we shouldn't drive at all as everything is bad in one way or another. My car will run on both gasoline & ethanol, what to do? Not that e85 is that easy to find, 1 whole gas station sells it in my town of 700,000 people. 

• Useful 2

The aerial shots of those corn mazes were amazing, but seriously anxiety inducing. I would have a full blown panic attack if I ever tried to navigate one of those. 

Obviously corn is grown in many places but I've always wondered just how much of the political shenanigans surrounding corn have to do with Iowa being the "first in the nation" when it comes to primaries. Obviously the big agro corporations have armies of lobbyists working on their behalf as well but to me it always comes across as disingenously as attending the State Fair or shaking hands in a diner. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Like that idiot who went on that misogynistic and homophobic rant.

I can't imagine why they invited a football player to deliver their commencement address. The college isn't his alma mater. And I skimmed through the transcript of it and came away with the distinct impression someone wrote it for him. Apparently he's an outspoken Catholic who has delved into political issues in the past, and it's a Benedictine College. So I guess nobody should be too shocked a Catholic believes Catholic things.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I can't imagine why they invited a football player to deliver their commencement address. The college isn't his alma mater. And I skimmed through the transcript of it and came away with the distinct impression someone wrote it for him. Apparently he's an outspoken Catholic who has delved into political issues in the past, and it's a Benedictine College. So I guess nobody should be too shocked a Catholic believes Catholic things.

Oh, wow. That's fascinating...and makes that college's decision even more boneheaded. 

5 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

The aerial shots of those corn mazes were amazing, but seriously anxiety inducing. I would have a full blown panic attack if I ever tried to navigate one of those. 

Obviously corn is grown in many places but I've always wondered just how much of the political shenanigans surrounding corn have to do with Iowa being the "first in the nation" when it comes to primaries. Obviously the big agro corporations have armies of lobbyists working on their behalf as well but to me it always comes across as disingenously as attending the State Fair or shaking hands in a diner. 

I was stunned by those aerial shots of those mazes, too. The detail! And the fact they do different ones each year. That's pretty impressive. 

And yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, I think you are absolutely on to something with the politics around corn being connected to Iowa's role in the primaries. I appreciated John talking about all the candidates who come here and suddenly decide they have to put on some folksy down-home act, to make it seem like they "relate" to the locals, even when they, like me, have never been on a farm a day in their lives. It's always amusing and eye-rolling in equal measure. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Someone on this site - I want to say it was in the NFL thread- posted a link to a statement released by the Benedictine nuns. They blasted him. 

https://www.msnbc.com/top-stories/latest/harrison-butker-benedictine-nuns-commencement-speech-rcna152896

• Like 5
(edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 1:05 PM, MicheleinPhilly said:

Someone on this site - I want to say it was in the NFL thread- posted a link to a statement released by the Benedictine nuns. They blasted him. 

https://www.msnbc.com/top-stories/latest/harrison-butker-benedictine-nuns-commencement-speech-rcna152896

Well said.

That was certainly a different take on Pearl Harbor. No one needs a Pearl Harbor, you weirdo.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 1