Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Past

• Start Topic

Oh, Maximus!  It was probably not going to go well no matter what, but if he was planning telling Thaddeus the truth, he really should have done it before he "branded" him.  Because I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually count since he isn't actually a knight, so I can kind of understand why Thaddeus would want nothing to do with him or "his story."  And once again, Maximus gets cocky (and kind of psycho) in that suit, and Thaddeus finds a way to scamper off with Michael Emerson's head.  At least he got saved by Lucy before the radroaches got him, but he's still maintaining that lie, so you know that's going to end badly for him.

Our first New California Republic/NCR reference!

Certainly seems like something is going down with the Vaults and apparently it is coming from Vault 31, where the Overseers always seem to originally come from there, and everyone is mum about it.  Yeah, they are hiding something.  Looking forward to Norm facing off a more sinister Betty and seeing Leslie Uggams get to dine on some scenery.

Speculation: Lucy talking about how the sun felt real on her face during her childhood/with her mother makes me think that she was actually born on the surface, and somehow gets put into the Vault thanks to her parents and whatever is going on with them being known by both the vaulters and surface folks.

Missed The Ghoul/Walton Goggins, but I liked seeing more of Lucy and Maximus together and I can't wait to see how this other Vault will play out. 

• Like 4

Clearly Norm finally found his calling as a detective.

was NCR around during the video games?  Who bombed it?  The mechs or someone else?

Lucy was a vault baby.  The scene with her mother was clearly in their underground corn field.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Hanahope said:

was NCR around during the video games?  

Yes. They were founded after Fallout 1 by one of the game's npcs. In Fallout 2  they are a fullfledged nation state. In Fallout: New Vegas, they are expanding into the Mojave in order to claim Hoover Dam as a power source. But they are terribly overstretched and things back home aren't looking good either (water shortages, famine, etc.)

• Useful 1

I can't believe that Maximus thought his story would hold if he went back to the Brotherhood.  Did he never plan to shower while on base?

It's annoying when Lucy acts as if decency has any say on the surface.  Luckily the cannibal didn't shoot Maximus fatally due to her naivety.

The vault scenes are becoming creepy now.  I forgot that Lucy's dad came from another vault, so it's interesting that people from vault 31 seem to be in the know about what's really going on.  Is Lucy's pregnant friend just living with the cousin now?

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, peridot said:

Its annoying when Lucy acts as if decency has any say on the surface.  Luckily the cannibal didn't shoot Maximus fatally due to her naivety

I like that because it's giving us the different player types. You have the neutral one in Maximus, the one that just wants more power and weapons, the bad guy playthrough with the Ghoul and the do-gooder with Lucy. Lucy would love Preston and the minutemen. He's the reason I turn more into the Maximus style player. Lol 

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

So the Vault overseers have been lying to the young ones about how long they've actually been down there? Or did I misunderstand the awkward conversation between Lucy and Max?

They were lying about how long they've been down there. They were lying about people being alive on the surface.  

• Like 1

There is something very sinister happening in the Vaults, looking forward to seeing Norman continue to figure things out. Maybe that's his calling, detective. Or at least a true crime podcaster. 

My guess is that Lucy is remembering the actual surface which she went to with her mother, but later she was taken back to the Vault again. So where is their mom? 

Maximus is way too quick to let success get to his head, he even made a similar mistake as the real Titus, just because your in the power suite doesn't mean your invincible. 

• Like 4

I'm not a gamer (though I did play MUD back in the day. Try doing it all with just text), so I'm not familiar with the video game for this show & maybe that's why I don't understand how Vault 32 was cleaned, repainted, all the gore & broken stuff removed & replaced with new stuff from who knows where, in a day. Who did all of the work because it had to be a group of people & that means a number of people know what happened to Vault 32. Are these people in/from Vault 31?  Is that some mastermind vault?

(edited)
On 4/18/2024 at 9:05 AM, Tachi Rocinante said:

So the Vault overseers have been lying to the young ones about how long they've actually been down there? Or did I misunderstand the awkward conversation between Lucy and Max?

Apparently the vaults overpopulate , kill each other, and are recolonized. 

is Ellison ever acknowledged in the game itself, because I haven’t played it. Clearly Cooper and his poster ‘a man and his dog’ makes it clear the tv people know the roots of the story. 

Edited by Affogato
On 4/24/2024 at 9:24 PM, HDJulie said:

I'm not a gamer (though I did play MUD back in the day. Try doing it all with just text), so I'm not familiar with the video game for this show & maybe that's why I don't understand how Vault 32 was cleaned, repainted, all the gore & broken stuff removed & replaced with new stuff from who knows where, in a day. Who did all of the work because it had to be a group of people & that means a number of people know what happened to Vault 32. Are these people in/from Vault 31?  Is that some mastermind vault?

It seem to be. Maybe the vaults are like terrorist cells. Group of three, one takes care of the others. NOt sure. 

No Ghoul this episode. Hooray. Long may that continue (who am I kidding? I'm sure they won't go more than one episode without Goggins).

Lucy and Maximus make an interesting pair (though I don't get much chemistry between them). She's idealistic and brave, he's more cynical and cowardly. But he does know the world better than she does, and it pays to be cynical and suspicious.

The vault storyline is probably the most interesting thing going on. So vault 31 may be the 'master vault' or at least be populated by people who understand more of the bigger picture, and vaults 32 and 33 were the unknowing dupes, or guinea pigs, perhaps?

Did vault 32 learn the truth, and a rebellion turned into a massacre? Or did someone else (from vault 31, or from whoever gives vault 31 their orders) come in and wipe out the survivors after the uprising?

Lucy learning that society had been re-founded and then destroyed again was a bit of a gut punch for her. So much for the great destiny of the vaults. That reminded me of the Red Rising series of books, where the people who lived their whole lives in a mine, believing they were mining resources to terraform the surface, didn't know that the terraforming had been done hundreds of years ago, and they were just being used as captive labour.

I'm guessing Lucy is going to have a realisation that her dad wasn't quite the good guy she's always believed him to be.

• Like 2