Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Capt. Duke Wagner’s Daughter

• Start Topic

I don't think everyone knows about Amanda because how could she be reinstated?  It would become public knowledge pretty quickly and the outcry against having such a corrupt person as the deputy director of the GBI would be immense.  I'm not sure how Faith knows, unless Amanda or Will told her.  

I laughed at the notion that Amanda planted exactly 28 grams of cocaine.  C'mon, did she measure it out?  Didn't think that perhaps some might be lost when it was found, bagged, taken for testing?

I felt for Garza having Amanda report him for not replacing the plastic bag in her trash can each time he emptied it. There was a very similar situation in my office.  Some people were upset that the bags weren't replaced daily; it was because the cleaning person was a contract employee and the contract required that the cleaner provide cleaning supplies, including trash bags. Thus our cleaner, who likely wasn't paid very much, was trying to save a few pennies.  It was never a problem for me, since I always threw food wrappings or other sticky/gooey things away in the break room bins.  I didn't want those smells in my office!  

• Like 4
On 4/5/2024 at 12:00 PM, fishcakes said:

I like the little moments where you see how much Amanda loves Will like a son, like right after the car crash when she looked over and Will was unconscious she cried out, "Wilbur!" and was trying to cut him loose. So far, the writers and actors are presenting that relationship in a nicely understated way.

I had completely missed that she called him "Wilbur." 🥹

Re: how Faith found out what Amanda had done. I wonder if Will or even Amanda gave her heads up about the press conference. 

• Like 5
19 hours ago, peeayebee said:

How was he different in the books?

Wow, that's a GIANT can of worms to open.  I don't think we're supposed to compare & contrast the TV to the books here unless it's a specific thread.  

• Like 2
(edited)

Yeah, I thought I might have to look there. I just don't want to come across any spoilers.

BTW, I'm currently reading Harbour Street and loving it. I think I'm going to read a lot more.

ETA: Geez, big ol' brain fart. 'Harbour Street' is a Vera book, not a Will Trent book. 

Edited by peeayebee
My brain no work good.

Well, I didn't hate this one, though I didn't love it.  The biggest thing I liked was that Ormewood and Angie were actually working on the same case as Will and Faith.  It's unrealistic that they'll come up with ways for all of them to work together every week, but the way this played out with the GBI director insisting that it be investigated by APD made sense.  I don't know how realistic it was for that to happen, but I could buy it.

But there was still so much wrong, all of which has been mentioned already.  The murder weapon was this huge thing that Amanda somehow supposedly snuck out of there and hid in her laundry at home.  The SWAT team converging on her when she's obviously not some crazy woman with a gun threatening kids.  The way those random APD unis seemed so happy that Amanda was under fire (why?)  A lot of things were just plain weird.

I continue to not care about Ormewood's home life.  Ormewood has been an ass to Will since day one, and continues to be an ass, so I don't really care that his family is falling apart.  Yes, it's sad.  But it's a character I actively dislike and it's all just TV anyway, so I don't care.  The characters I like, I care about.  That's normal, right?  Why make the most unlikeable character on the show be the one with all the personal problems, and why should we care?

I can understand Will and Faith not being thrilled to find out that Amanda planted evidence 30 years ago when she was just starting out, but I thought their reactions were over the top.  It was 30 years ago when she was just starting out, it was a shitty situation and she was getting no support, so she took a scumbag off the streets the only way she could.  As far as we know, she has been consistently by the book ever since, yet Will and Faith both acted like she's a raging hypocrite.

The characters and actors all deserve better writing.  This show has so much potential, but still somehow feels like they don't know how to make it work.

• Like 4

I don’t like this Amanda story.  That’s not who she is ( or was).  

Does a swatting incident end with SWAT just quietly walking away with no words to the victim?  Especially if the victim is law enforcement? 

On 4/2/2024 at 10:40 PM, fastiller said:

Same! Tho I get Faith's comment at the end, too. How terrible it must be for her to see her Mum (whether deserved) be called corrupt and her sort-of Aunt too.

With Jenna Elfman guesting & Christensen, I sure hope this show doesn't become overly cast w $cientologists. It takes me away from the story thinking of the actors' affiliations w the group. 

Was thinking the same thing, but then I think I heard that Christiansen is no longer a Scientologist? I could hardly recognize Jenna Elfman. I thought it might be her. I know she’s gotten older, her face is awfully plastic smooth.

On 4/3/2024 at 2:05 PM, milkyaqua said:

She was the daughter of the murdered janitor.

As for how Faith knew about Amanda, I still don't get how.  Even with the murderer's Amanda board, unless he spelled out somewhere or had a list saying what she'd done, I don't buy that Will or Amanda would have told Faith, Angie or Ormewood.  Maybe it'll be explained later but yes, all the principals have done stuff that would be considered shady.  And I also balked at the murder weapon at Amanda's because when was she supposed to have put it there?

I get TPTB are trying to make Ormewood more rounded but I don't really care.

And yes, the SWAT takedown in the park made no sense and Amanda's dad was an ass.

Yes, so anyone can just call in that they saw someone waving a gun in front of children or whatever the hell the reason was and then you can be taken down by a SWAT team ..oh boy that really makes me feel safe (from our law enforcement!)😡

• Like 2

I noticed Jenna Elfman's name in the opening credits, but totally didn't recognize her!  $cientology is doing her no favors!  

I liked the Amanda storyline, but wish it would have gone on for a least a few eps.  

Like everyone else, I couldn't care less about Ormewood and his personal life. 

• Like 1
On 4/17/2024 at 12:04 PM, chediavolo said:

Was thinking the same thing, but then I think I heard that Christiansen is no longer a Scientologist? I could hardly recognize Jenna Elfman. I thought it might be her. I know she’s gotten older, her face is awfully plastic smooth.

Unfortunately, she still is.  I just listened to her talk all about how great it is on the Armchair Expert podcast. I'm not into religion at all, but there is no way $cientology is like the other mainstream religions and that's what she was basically saying. It was quite nauseating!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
(edited)

I've fallen behind on this show and getting caught up now.

Just popping in to say that I was happy to find that so many people feel the same as me about Ormewood's story lines.  I generally like the actor, and the character is fine as a supporting player, but on a show called Will Trent, I feel like we don't need to spend a lot of time on story lines that don't involve Will.  As it was, there was so much going on in the episode with the main story, that they could have fleshed things out more with that and left Ormewood's woes for another episode (if they had to include them at all).

I'm wondering if maybe Ormewood's wife or the guy she had an affair with will wind up having something to do with a future GBI case.

Edited by paul4295
more thoughts
  • Like 3
On 4/4/2024 at 9:26 PM, peeayebee said:

Amanda looked great in that press-conference dress. 

I kept wondering why people weren't asking her why she cancelled the press conference. That would seem like a pretty big deal, but nothing was mentioned about that.

9 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I kept wondering why people weren't asking her why she cancelled the press conference. That would seem like a pretty big deal, but nothing was mentioned about that.

She had an accident on the way to the Press Conference and probably had to go to the hospital. People probably forgot that she called one after they understood why she missed it.

• Like 1