Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E05 Rose's Journey

• Start Topic

On 3/27/2024 at 8:46 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

A woman finds new resolve to get healthier for the sake of her family,

And she actually did!

• Like 6

My eating habit tonight is two home made chicken tacos and a pint of Cherry Garcia for dessert. 

Well she’s a character. And I’m watching realizing my Dad was born in this here state in the Great Depression and somehow escaped to the army and a life in California. 

We like to try to guess the initial weight and the big factors are height, distribution on the body, mobility, and whether/where they can fit in the car. [PS - is the minivan the official vehicle of My 600 Lb Life?] I guessed 570 and won tonight. (564.6 actual). 

So we hear lots of happy talk in the first “test period” and doing the diet, exercising, etc but as we know “the scale doesn’t lie”. Well how about that! She stuck to the diet! 

HIGHLIGHT MOMENT - That joyful laugh right after she talks to Dr Now over the video call. Close your eyes. It sounds just like a turkey gobble! 

Well we aren’t quite live here on the west coast after dinner so I’ll stop here. So far a nice hopeful episode. Go Rose! 

• Like 6

I was so thrilled that Rose managed to embrace the program and change her life so dramatically.    At the beginning I wondered if she would be another failure who claimed they wanted to save their life and did nothing, but she did the work, embraced Dr. Now's program, and was absolutely honest about how she gained so much, her eating habit, and when she slipped she admitted exactly why, and took ownership over it.   

I hope she continues, her heart and other problems are treatable, and she gets skin surgery.     Her family was so supportive, and willing to do whatever Rose needed to save herself.  

• Like 6
  • Love 3

This season has been better than the last several. More pounders are making it to surgery. 
Rosie was a character but I was happy for her. The one concern is that most of these people are surrounded by overweight family and caregivers. I think it will be hard to keep going. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

She seemed to lose some of her spunk toward the end; I wondered what that was about?  But I loved Rose; what a great success story.

And "a handful with that personality"!

• Like 5
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Scratches19 said:

So we hear lots of happy talk in the first “test period” and doing the diet, exercising, etc but as we know “the scale doesn’t lie”. Well how about that! She stuck to the diet! 

Even when she had her (apparently month-long) "slip up," she lost 5 pounds instead of gaining.

• Like 6

Yes, I kept expecting some disaster- actually sort of thought the husband was going to leave her. But nope

Despite some of the usual markers of failure (big tattoo, weird clothing, no teeth,), Rose was self aware and sincere. Her family was supportive and affectionate. I was amazed when the son in law actually checked water, oil, brakes, etc., on the vehicle before they embarked on the trip.

Loved the (skinny) grandkids helping her stick to her exercise regimen.

Daughter in law seriously needs to get with the program Rose is following, though. Based on her scanty hair and luxuriant goatee, she most likely has PCOS, and should be working on her own health.

• Like 7
(edited)

I am now watching the beginning, since I was late yesterday. 

She did have a hard childhood, but she did well for a while, so I think she had a baseline to which she could return, never svelte, but she was very functional fora long while.   It wasn't a continuous eating herself huge non-stop for decades.  So I think it made things a bit easier for her.  She knew what success felt like, and she had a clear goal about her grandkids and spending time with her husband, and was in a genuinely loving relationship.  

Edited by Hellga
  • Like 4

Also, she is actually grateful and appreciative of her family and mostly honest with and about herself (other than the later delusion about 'slip ups'.  IMHO that's key qualities that make her a decent human being and help her set and achieve goals. 

• Like 5

Dr. Now was poking at her from the very beginning.  But his stance worked, that's what counts!   A good doctor adjusts his approach to his patients. 

• Like 1
(edited)

Supersized edition of Rose's story is on tonight 7 to 9 p.m. Central time. 

She does the best job with her exercises of any poundticipant I've ever seen. 

Even before the other clinic weigh in , you can see how much better Rose is moving, and she's no longer on oxygen.  I love her absolute joy when she finds out much weight she lost, and that Dr. Now wants her to move to Houston, and tells her the cardiologist cleared her for surgery.      

I know she goofed, and only lost 5 lbs., but she's off oxygen, walking on her own, and admits everything wrong she did.  

I like that cute little house in Houston, and renting furnished was so much better than hauling furniture back and forth.  Getting one on a concrete slab was a good idea too.  (I remember previous poundticipants moving to Houston, getting a house on a raise foundation, and it was dangerous because they're getting what they can afford, and it's a limited budget usually. Homes aren't always the best maintained in the affordable price bracket.)

Bonus scene after surgery is a yoga class. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Yes, I kept expecting some disaster- actually sort of thought the husband was going to leave her. But nope

I seriously thought she was going to die during or just after surgery. Even after she lost weight, her breathing was so labor s. I’m glad she did well and hope she is still doing so.

• Like 4
21 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I was amazed when the son in law actually checked water, oil, brakes, etc., on the vehicle before they embarked on the trip.

LOL, I had to wonder if he's seen some previous episodes!

Overall, THAT'S how it's done!  She had excellent support, hopefully DIL can get on board as well. 

I was on the edge of my seat during the surgery, hoping her heart didn't give out on her.  Or, when they got to the little rental in Houston, she looked and sounded like she was on her last breath. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, suzeecat said:

LOL, I had to wonder if he's seen some previous episodes!

Overall, THAT'S how it's done!  She had excellent support, hopefully DIL can get on board as well. 

I was on the edge of my seat during the surgery, hoping her heart didn't give out on her.  Or, when they got to the little rental in Houston, she looked and sounded like she was on her last breath. 

I was really worried for her too. 

• Like 3
On 4/4/2024 at 8:11 PM, Elizzikra said:

I seriously thought she was going to die during or just after surgery. Even after she lost weight, her breathing was so labor s. I’m glad she did well and hope she is still doing so.

I was so worried for her during and after the surgery.    She seems like a wonderful person who had a hard life, and with such great support from her family, I hope her health has improved, and she has a long, happy life.      

Another thought about the dental issues, I hope Dr. Now or someone helps her find a dentist who will give her free dental services in return for publicity.   I think Benji had that, and it's life changing.    I grew up very middle class, had regular dental visits, but I knew so many other kids who had parents with paid dental, etc., and they never went to the dentist.   Their parents though nothing was needed for baby teeth, which is wrong, especially in an area where there's no fluoride in the water.  I worked with so many people through the years who never go to the dentist until something goes wrong.    People simply don't realize how dangerous dental issues are to your health.   It breaks my heart that Rose has to suffer with dental issues.   I hoping for a great WATN about her, she's such a nice person, and really tried to do her best. 

• Like 3

I can’t watch this show lately given how many infuriating and entitled people they seem to showcase. But I was so pleasantly surprised with Rose. She wasn’t perfect. And her family obviously had challenges too. It’s obvious that they’ve been struggling for generations. But g’damn - she tried. I wish her the absolute best of luck. She seems like a sweet lady with a big heart so I’m rooting for her.

• Like 4

There have been some great episodes with successes this year. Delana, Krystal S., Abi, and now Rose.   

Which is unusual compared to the last few seasons which made filming virtually impossible.  So, the producers showed anyone who would film apparently.  And surgery was not happening then either most of the time.    

• Like 2
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

There have been some great episodes with successes this year. Delana, Krystal S., Abi, and now Rose.   

Which is unusual compared to the last few seasons which made filming virtually impossible.  So, the producers showed anyone who would film apparently.  And surgery was not happening then either most of the time.    

I think that the shows producers overestimated the audience’s taste for high drama train wrecks. They are distressing but they get attention - for example, Stephen Assanti. Last season was too much for people who made no progress at all and I think the producers have course corrected and shown us more success stories, at least thus far.

• Like 6
(edited)
18 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Another thought about the dental issues, I hope Dr. Now or someone helps her find a dentist who will give her free dental services in return for publicity.   I think Benji had that, and it's life changing.    I grew up very middle class, had regular dental visits, but I knew so many other kids who had parents with paid dental, etc., and they never went to the dentist.   Their parents though nothing was needed for baby teeth, which is wrong, especially in an area where there's no fluoride in the water.  I worked with so many people through the years who never go to the dentist until something goes wrong.    People simply don't realize how dangerous dental issues are to your health.   It breaks my heart that Rose has to suffer with dental issues.   I hoping for a great WATN about her, she's such a nice person, and really tried to do her best. 

I have issues with my teeth and I'm lucky to have dental insurance but considering what I pay in, I get very little in return. It is great is you are just doing regular cleanings and check ups. Need anything extra? Boom you hit your deductible and pay out of pocket. As it stands, I have a cracked tooth and have to pay OOP $780 to get a crown. And I just cracked another crown I only got last year. And don't get me started on implants.... at least $5K and that was 10 years ago. Insurance won't pay, it is cosmetic. 

I used to look down my nose at people missing teeth, now I sympathize. I take care of my teeth and I still have problems. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 2

There is a new method for implants.  They use general anesthetic, and put the anchors in higher than the jawbone implants.  That means no healing time unlike with conventional implants.  You leave with a full set of implant/dentures.   They had a demonstration surgery at a local excellent surgery center.    There might be surgeons looking for demonstration patients, who get the surgery free. 

Also, if you live near a dental school, they have low cost clinics for oral surgery and regular dental care, and they are very well supervised, and cost is very low.

The health issues with infected teeth and gums are life-threatening, and so many of the poundticipants seem to have dental issues.   

I more people had access to good dental care, but so many don't.    There's also the fear factor too.   The size of the patients is also a barrier too.  Many are so limited in mobility.   However, look how mobile Rose became with weight loss and diet change.   I hope she had successful treatment for her breathing issues from the final scenes too.   I'm hoping for a wonderful update on her. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
44 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

There is a new method for implants.  They use general anesthetic, and put the anchors in higher than the jawbone implants.  That means no healing time unlike with conventional implants.  You leave with a full set of implant/dentures.   They had a demonstration surgery at a local excellent surgery center.    There might be surgeons looking for demonstration patients, who get the surgery free. 

Also, if you live near a dental school, they have low cost clinics for oral surgery and regular dental care, and they are very well supervised, and cost is very low.

The health issues with infected teeth and gums are life-threatening, and so many of the poundticipants seem to have dental issues.   

I more people had access to good dental care, but so many don't.    There's also the fear factor too.   The size of the patients is also a barrier too.  Many are so limited in mobility.   However, look how mobile Rose became with weight loss and diet change.   I hope she had successful treatment for her breathing issues from the final scenes too.   I'm hoping for a wonderful update on her. 

I don't have a dental school close enough to me, otherwise I might go to one for the cost savings.

My parents did not have dental insurance and my  mom always had issues with her teeth (I take after her). It was cheaper to fly overseas to the DR, where we have family and take a 3 week vacation, see a dentist there AND pay him, then getting the work here. 

I don't have a fear of the dentist. Never have. I had wisdom teeth removed without only novocaine. None of that really bothers me. What bothers me are x-rays (that thing they make you bite on makes me gag) and the $$. It is a shame about the dental insurance industry (as well as the dentists who charge so much). Oral care is so important, as important as health care, yet it seems an after thought. 

When I hit my deductible, I went for a cleaning and it was $200 OOP. I think a cleaning should be like a mam or a pap, paid for 100% as it is preventative. 

Like I said, I see people with missing teeth differently than I used to. I know on this show, a lot of the people are home bound and can't get to a dentist, but before they got so big, they could have. I'm sure it is cost that kept them away all their lives. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 3
On 4/5/2024 at 9:00 AM, suzeecat said:

I was watching on replay, and once we got to the surgery portion, and for the rest of the show, I kept checking how much time was left in the episode, figuring that as long as there is a decent amount of time left vis-a-vis where they are in months, she probably doesn't die! 

• Like 1

as well as the dentists who charge so much

My father was a dentist. He worked really hard and did pretty well but were not rich by any stretch of the imagination. Dental school is four years on top of undergraduate, at least, with many dentists doing specialized training on top of that. It costs as much as medical school. The equipment and staffing to run a practice are also expensive. Insurance doesn't reimburse them well at all.

Sure there are dentists who charge a fortune, but most of the ones I've encountered are charging prices that are pretty consistent with what it takes to pay their student loans and run their practices. 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

My father was a dentist. He worked really hard and did pretty well but were not rich by any stretch of the imagination. Dental school is four years on top of undergraduate, at least, with many dentists doing specialized training on top of that. It costs as much as medical school. The equipment and staffing to run a practice are also expensive. Insurance doesn't reimburse them well at all.

Sure there are dentists who charge a fortune, but most of the ones I've encountered are charging prices that are pretty consistent with what it takes to pay their student loans and run their practices. 

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have implied it is a racket or something. One just has to look at medical costs to know EVERYTHING is expensive. I think my frustration is more the insurance that doesn't seem to feel oral care is very important. It isn't cosmetic, it isn't botox or a face lift. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have implied it is a racket or something. One just has to look at medical costs to know EVERYTHING is expensive. I think my frustration is more the insurance that doesn't seem to feel oral care is very important. It isn't cosmetic, it isn't botox or a face lift. 

I completely agree. 

• Like 1