Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (CA) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So far I'm enjoying it- no real surprises so far in who stayed and who left, but that's fine. I hope that Dave the cement guy, the special ed teacher, and hunting single mom of six stay around for a while. Not a fan of Michael of the asinine facial hair, or the I can't stop talking long enough to breathe woman. They've shown with the various Masterchef

Junior series that it's quite a good show when it's about cooking, so I do wish that they would stop with the personality drama and obnoxious contestants.

I'm impressed by the number of Maritimers this season. They tossed 2 in the first elimination and there are still 4 left; and 2 of them are the Top 2. 

Kevin's paper in the filo was a bad mistake; luckily it wasn't elimination. I'm hoping he'll do well, but he's probably middle of the pack. (I'm especially cheering for him because he's from my city and knows a friend of mine :) )

Line is a little annoying but not as bad as Jennifer; Jennifer just bounces around way too much. For Line, well she's another NBer so I'll be voting for her and Kevin; Kevin will probably do well till the middle, Line looks like she could go long. 

Kwasi I'm hoping will do well too; he seems to have a fun attitude; a shame he messed up the stir fry so badly. 

All in all, it looks like a decent crowd. Loooking forward to how the rest of the season goes.

• Love 1

I love Line; she kicks butt. Jon the football guy too. Also like Sabrina, the brunette from Montreal. Representing!

Can't stand Jennifer (shut up!) and that pretentious Michael. I groaned when Jon decided to save Jennifer.

They didn't even taste 5 of the dishes last night; I know they do this all the time, but it bugs me! They barely showed Cody, Kristen or Christopher at all, so that's probably not a good sign. But who knows.

With that many chefs, some getting lost in the shuffle is normal. Them not being shown much indicates they should get at least to the middle-middle end at least.

I do wish they had shown tasting Kevin's dish, to give him a bit of redemption from his earlier mistake. 

Okay, why do they saving Jen?  There's a reason why you've been picked last your entire life.

I intensely dislike people like Line.  She's delusional.  Demands that everyone does what she wants, and then talks about their 'collaboration' when the team loses due to her crap decisions.  And that drama she caused after saving herself?  How was this woman ever in the military?

Why save her? Because she should be easier to beat than many of the others.  Let the better cooks fight it out in the pressure tests and keep someone that you are pretty sure you can top in almost any challenge. She does seem to find a way to botch assignments, no matter what they may be, all the whole being totally delusional about her ability and playing the "No one ever likes me!" card  Watch yourself on TV with an open eye & ear and you'll soon figure out why, honey!

If viewers find her annoying, I can only guess what it must have been like being around her 24/7 during taping of the series.

That said, the decision about who would leave held no suspense for me.  The hunter-mom, six-kids, dead-husband woman has gotten too much screen time/backstory build to be an early eviction.

• Love 2
(edited)

I hate when they allow the captains the option of saving themselves...  The first time I saw this done, it was a novelty... and I get that it produced drama by putting people in the position of making weasel-like decisions.  Now, too many people just say the same exact thing about being stupid not to pick themselves... so the drama is taken out of the mix, and we're left only with the injustice.  I liked Line at first... I didn't even mind her autocratic attitude which I expected because of her background.  But to let her off the hook, after she bullied her team into doing everything her way... then to compound it with her chicken-shit fainting routine because she didn't have the guts to face her betrayed teammates' glares was too much to bear.  Normally I would have been glad that the self-hating Asian woman was eliminated, but now I'm just waiting for Line's comeuppance.

Edited by Sentient Meat

Wow, Line was my favorite, but she pretty much lost me there. Though I'm not sure she was faking - she looked like death before she went up on the balcony.

Yeah, Jennifer, there's a very good reason why no one likes you! And I wish Sabrina would stop whining and sobbing about her family.

I was surprised Jon didn't get picked first. And why does everyone think the guy who kinda looks like Rick Grimes (David?) is such a good cook? He's barely ever done anything so far!

Wow, Line was my favorite, but she pretty much lost me there. Though I'm not sure she was faking - she looked like death before she went up on the balcony.

Yeah, Jennifer, there's a very good reason why no one likes you! And I wish Sabrina would stop whining and sobbing about her family.

I was surprised Jon didn't get picked first. And why does everyone think the guy who kinda looks like Rick Grimes (David?) is such a good cook? He's barely ever done anything so far!

It's not fair that I jumped to the conclusion that she was faking, but I'm sure the guilt added a lot of stress to her situation.

If she had been a democratic captain, or a good captain saddled with a bad team... I could have forgiven her move... but throwing her team under the bus when she forced that healthy menu on them was one of the lowest things I've seen on a competition like this.

• Love 1

Hopefully after last season with the Laffs, and this season with Cirque, future chefs will realize that athletes don't NEED "Healthy" food like regular folk do. They're basically after fuel for their engines, and want stuff that is tasty; everything else is worked out through practice and training.  (OK they need some amount of healthy food, but as long as you aren't serving fat, grease, sugar and salt on a platter, you should be fine and focus on taste and what you can cook as a priority over 'healthiness'). 

I wonder if Line justified saving herself because she could feel herself fading fast. I was a bit on the edge about rooting for her from the start; after this ep, she's sliding back to mid-pack kickout I think. 

• Love 3

Hopefully after last season with the Laffs, and this season with Cirque, future chefs will realize that athletes don't NEED "Healthy" food like regular folk do. They're basically after fuel for their engines, and want stuff that is tasty; everything else is worked out through practice and training.  (OK they need some amount of healthy food, but as long as you aren't serving fat, grease, sugar and salt on a platter, you should be fine and focus on taste and what you can cook as a priority over 'healthiness'). 

I wonder if Line justified saving herself because she could feel herself fading fast. I was a bit on the edge about rooting for her from the start; after this ep, she's sliding back to mid-pack kickout I think.

I'm surprised that someone with a military background wouldn't have know this! I'm about the least athletic person on the planet and I knew.

(edited)

I kind of liked Jen for about 3 minutes in the middle there. 1. She made the comment in the interview that everyone would save themselves which is true. 2. When Line went down, it looked like Jen was there helping her like a boss in one second while everyone else gaped. Now, Jen was closest, but she handled it. I do think Line was a weasel when she claimed consensus on the dishes. That was bunk.

Edited because I just remembered:

I am not a MasterChef. I have cooked wild game maybe twice in my life. But I know from all of the cooking show I watch that you always add pork to wild game or it's too dry. The woman who go eliminated has no excuse for not knowing that. None 

Edited by lynny
  • Love 2
(edited)

"There's not too many truffles in Surrey!" Ha! Very true.

And, that tempura poached egg was super kill. I've never seen anything like that.

Edited by BC Mama

I kind of liked Jen for about 3 minutes in the middle there. 1. She made the comment in the interview that everyone would save themselves which is true. 2. When Line went down, it looked like Jen was there helping her like a boss in one second while everyone else gaped. Now, Jen was closest, but she handled it. I do think Line was a weasel when she claimed consensus on the dishes. That was bunk.

Edited because I just remembered:

I am not a MasterChef. I have cooked wild game maybe twice in my life. But I know from all of the cooking show I watch that you always add pork to wild game or it's too dry. The woman who go eliminated has no excuse for not knowing that. None

I'm a vegetarian and I even know that!

Dude... when even Michael thinks you're being arrogant, you need to dial it down! Plus Cody reminds me of The Riddler on "Gotham".

Sorry to see Kevin go, but his dish was a mess. And I wanted to taste ALL those pizzas; David's "Fun Guy" looked so yummy, and I don't even like mushrooms!

• Love 1

The macaroni and cheese with truffles made me think of the Vinyl Cafe episode where Sam makes kraft dinner with truffles.

"There's not too many truffles in Surrey!" Ha! Very true.

My first reaction was that Surrey really isn't that far from Vancouver, but I guess it depends on where you go out to eat and where you shop. I wouldn't consider anywhere in Metro Vancouver to be small town. However, he's right in that you would probably have an easier time finding truffles in Vancouver itself than in the Valley.

The macaroni and cheese with truffles made me think of the Vinyl Cafe episode where Sam makes kraft dinner with truffles.

My first reaction was that Surrey really isn't that far from Vancouver, but I guess it depends on where you go out to eat and where you shop. I wouldn't consider anywhere in Metro Vancouver to be small town. However, he's right in that you would probably have an easier time finding truffles in Vancouver itself than in the Valley.

True. But, Surrey is not a city for fine dining. It has been my home for 6.5 years and the fanciest restaurant around is probably The Keg (although there are some lovely eateries in South Surrey and White Rock). Being married to a member of the Surrey RCMP I am all to familiar with the less savoury members of my community.

I felt bad for Kwasi, but happy David got to stay.

All three poutines looked gross to me. Coleslaw? Maybe it's a thing elsewhere, but not around here.

And I really don't understand how the Green Team won when they barely had any customers! Glad for Line, though; I can't help it, I still like her.

They won because they could make their product faster. Their line was cycling faster; it got to the point they ran out of chicken and had to make a fresh bathc on the fly. 

Given all that, it was probably one of the most lopsided victories we've seen on the show. 

And yea, I'm a bit sad to see Kwasi go, but it was apparently his time. 

I'm biased as a vegetarian, but none of the poutines sounded that great to me. Coleslaw on poutine seems odd and New York Fries makes butter chicken poutine, so that just isn't that original. The steak poutine sounds like something I've seen on every gastro pub menu around. And, the Japanese did seem really west coast (anyone who comes to Vancouver needs to try japadog), but it was not very well thought out and too complicated to execute.

But, I was happy to see my old campus on tv! Go Gryphons!

My kingdom for good vegetarian poutine.

I just caught up on this season, but I was sad to see Kwasi go. It seemed like he lost fair and square, but he also seemed like a nice guy, and he was my second favourite after Christopher.

Is it just me or does it seem like blue-haired judge is trying to be nicer to people this season? I like it, personally.

• Love 1

Forgive my ignorance but how does one make a vegetarian gravy for a vegetarian poutine?

And this is the second week in a row that someone didn't save them self and didn't go home. On MC US, I think it's automatic - don't save yourself, go home.

I don't think the victory was lopsided. I think they said 1st and 2nd were only separated by 6 or 7 sales. But I never heard of they said who was 2nd and I never heard how many votes 3rd got. Did anyone hear it?

Lynny, I re-watched and they never said who was 2nd place. Just that the Green Team won by 7 sales.

As for tonight: very sad for Kristen, and I'm not sure letting Jon slide was OK. Oh, but there was maybe a tiny bit of licorice in the puree! Hey, I like him, but that was bull.

And they didn't show Line at all, so I have no idea what she even got! It was either the salmon or the sausage.

• Love 1

This episode made me realize who Jon reminds me of: the guy who played Jean-Claude Van Damme's friend in Bloodsport. I'm glad he stayed but I wasn't in any suspense. He's clearly a favorite to win. 

I always like a Chopped type of basket and I enjoyed it without the stale format of Chopped.

I see Claudio is still serving plain oatmeal as his personality.

Edited by anonymiss

As for tonight: very sad for Kristen, and I'm not sure letting Jon slide was OK. Oh, but there was maybe a tiny bit of licorice in the puree! Hey, I like him, but that was bull.

Yeah, from the way he said it, I feel like they stopped the cameras and had a longer conversation about this where they tried to find a way to keep him and coached him to emphasize that licorice was in the puree. I'm sure it was actually there -- I'm just saying the conversation we saw on the show read to me as the tail end of a longer concersation about it, where the producers were trying to figure out what to do. It felt like the show was looking for an excuse to let him stay.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, I get that you have to have a cut-off point so that people respect the time limit. On the other hand, it's always seemed dumb to me that, when somebody cooks something perfectly, they get kicked off because they didn't have 10 seconds to move something from one plate to another. So, it would have seemed tragic and dumb if they'd sent him home, but it also seems kind of unfair that they let him stay. This is more about the show running into the drawbacks of its own rules than about whether there was licorice on the plate.

• Love 1

Thanks for the vegetarian gravy tips. I probably should have figured it wasn't too complicated. I just always start my gravy with whatever meat drippings I have and I never really thought of where to star without the meat.

Can't say I will miss Cody or Andrew; the first was so obnoxious and the second really went down in flames.

It was pretty clear the Red Team would win, considering how many times the Blue kept on saying how awesome they were and how they were sure to win.

And yup, still cheering for Line! I want her red dress. Jennifer's pied-de-poule dress was really cute too.

• Love 1

Sad to see Tammy go, but she just didn't have what it takes. I hope she and Line will remain friends.

I think the Top 5 will be David, Jon, Christopher, Sabrina and Line.

Graham was adorable. Since we got Joe last season, does that mean we'll get Gordon next season? Hey, a girl can dream!

Sabrina is so catty. I don't care if she cooks well. With that attitude I would employ any of the others left over her. 

Christopher, by contrast, never has a negative word about anyone and doesn't complain. He just cooks well both in sweet and savoury. I'd be glad to see him win but I doubt he will. Jon would probably make the best story and from the editing I think he has the best shot.

Sad to see Tammy go, but she just didn't have what it takes. I hope she and Line will remain friends.

I think the Top 5 will be David, Jon, Christopher, Sabrina and Line.

Graham was adorable. Since we got Joe last season, does that mean we'll get Gordon next season? Hey, a girl can dream!

I doubt it. Gordon doesn't seem to want to come north of the border. Joe announced he was leaving MC after the last US season, so next season MCC will probably get the new MCUS judge to guest star to give both shows a boost. 

Of course if Graham announces he's going to leave MC, the new judge might decide NOT to visit, since we might have a curse at that point. :)

In any case, Graham was great as a guest star, and he did seem seriously impressed by the chefs too.

Urgh, Cody. I would have been more polite about it when he came out, but I felt the same way Line did. "In da house!" I laughed so hard.

And so sad to see Jon go. Can't believe Jennifer outlasted him! At this rate, she's going to win the whole thing.

I like Jennifer.

I agree with Jon that sea scallop mousse seems like a waste of perfectly good ingredients. None of them looked appealing. But the judges were so enthusiastic about the dish in general that now I want to try it just to know what they're talking about!

• Love 1

Man, for a show that likes to hashtag everything, they sure miss some ripe opportunities. How do we not have #UnderTheCloche? Or even #WhatsWrongWithJennifer?

Instead we get #MakeAMousse for half an hour.

It's sad to see Jon go, especially now that the comeback opportunity is gone.  But he really did have the worst dish today.  Hell, even Jennifer out-cooked him, which is just embarrassing. 

Michael's growing on me as the season goes on, which is weird, because I hated him in the auditions.  I'd like to see him, David or Christopher win.

Surprised I was disappointed to see Jon go. Never cared about him before but much prefer him over the likes of Cody or Sabrina.

I like Jennifer, too. I don't really see reason to dislike her other than going by what catty insecure Sabrina says. 

• Love 1