Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Dead on Arrival

• Start Topic

When a Navy pilot is found murdered at a local military resort, the team goes under cover to discover a criminal enterprise hiding in plain sight.

Airing on Monday, March 4, 2024

For a minute there I thought Ernie and Lucy were going to go undercover as newlyweds. That would have been fun.

I still don't care what Sam is up to. Let him do his thing, he'll ask for help if and when he needs it. Every member of the team is going to go solo on some cleaning-skeletons-out-of-the-closet mission at some point in time. In the meantime, if he wants to make you a healthy breakfast and help you cut through red tape, appreciate him for that.

Hey Boom Boom, we love you but could you please stop sneezing all over the evidence?

I found it a little strange that we had a hard takedown squadron show up at the end but the only people who actually chased and shot suspects were the named characters. Also in the "we don't want to pay residuals" category, notice how when the hotel manager is making his rounds he only ever talks to people and never gets verbal replies from any of them.

• Like 3

As a son of JAG show they should know that a dishonorable discharge is a felony conviction and who would hire ex Staff Sergeant Frank to be a night manager in a resort? The dead aviator  was supposed to mule drugs into Japan and then distribute from there on her flights. The mayor, who was not allowed to reenlist but had gotten his 20 years already thinking she would be a good target for recruitment because of a romance with Frank, the felon. A couple of weeks drinking and you find high ranking officers willing to become criminals

10 hours ago, dwmarch said:

For a minute there I thought Ernie and Lucy were going to go undercover as newlyweds. That would have been fun.

But then there would have needed another excuse for two attractive women to kiss. But of course you wouldn't be using Ernie's skill set to its best use. 

I guess Boom Boom had already worked with Sam? Kai was a veteran Marine CID agent when he joined but still had not passed being a plebe here. Lt Commander Chase  seemingly calling out Ducky as a mentor

This entire what is Agent Hanna up to when he works secret projects is just looking bad with all these without the need to know trying to break operational security. Its out there he is not judging Boone for higher command at his own office or Janey. And if he was well at the time Boone  will just have to decide whether to quit and join 5-0 or take over NCIS: New Orleans.

Sounds like Sam is sticking around, waiting for the right moment to recruit Jane for the new, super secret agency. That said, I hope the hotel survives, as it sounded like a wonderful place for vacationing service men and women.

This has nothing to do with the episode.  How do I UNfollow this particular NCIS.  I want to follow the original, not this one.  I have looked in several places for instructions to unfollow NCIS Hawaii.  Anyone have a clue?

I enjoyed this episode.  It was great seeing Lucy and Kate working together.  Lucy wasn't that annoying to me, although I wish they could have said what she was recently doing.  I like the continuity on the show, at the end, Jesse was recounting his story with Gracie and the pirates/terrorists, so I don't see why Lucy couldn't have just asked about the case she missed last week when she was off visiting her grandma on the mainland.

It was nice to see Commander Chase, as kooky as ever.  I really liked that Sam got involved in the field and led the Bravo squad.

14 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I still don't care what Sam is up to. Let him do his thing, he'll ask for help if and when he needs it. Every member of the team is going to go solo on some cleaning-skeletons-out-of-the-closet mission at some point in time. In the meantime, if he wants to make you a healthy breakfast and help you cut through red tape, appreciate him for that.

Yep, I don't care what he is up to either.  I like LL Cool J and I'm glad he landed onto this show.  I hope he stays permanently and not just as "special guest star".

5 minutes ago, laredhead said:

This has nothing to do with the episode.  How do I UNfollow this particular NCIS.  I want to follow the original, not this one.  I have looked in several places for instructions to unfollow NCIS Hawaii.  Anyone have a clue?

Click on the NCIS:Hawaii near the top of this page.  (In the line that says: "Home > Drama > NCIS > NCIS: Hawaii > S03.E04: Dead on Arrival"

That takes you to the NCIS: Hawaii page, you will see a listing of all the topics.  At the top right will be a box that says "Following" with a checkmark.  Click on the checkmark to pull up the menu options to follow the show.  At the bottom left there will be an "Unfollow" link.

There is a hotel for servicemen and women (both active duty and retired)  called the Hale Koa.  I think DOD personnel on business can also stay there.  Rates depend on your rank.   It is next to the Hilton Hawaiian Village.  It has the best pools - large enough to actually swim in.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
3 minutes ago, abbyzenn said:

There is a hotel for servicemen and women (both active duty and retired)  called the Hale Koa.  I think DOD personnel on business can also stay there.  Rates depend on your rank.   It is next to the Hilton Hawaiian Village.  It has the best pools - large enough to actually swim in.

I think it showed up in a 5-0 or Magnum episode. Once the setting was announced I had that deja vu.

This episode is obviously a fan service but people are still complaining about not enough #Kacy. It’s always not gonna be enough, isn’t it? 🙄

Lucy is tolerable when she’s doing more action and less talking. She can jump off the balcony in every episode. 😆

Jesse’s unfriendly attitude towards Sam feels forced. We know him as an easy-going, loyal guy who isn’t interested in drama. Jesse is not Ernie.

Can Sam Hanna be shipped off back to LA now? He is underused and uninteresting here. 👋🏻 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

So Boom Boom has gone from the bomb squad to K9 duty?

He is like the Abby of all sciences in doing all the field forensic work, him along with Bam Bam from season 2, also being a bomb tech, and now it seems a search dog handler.  They haven't shown the pair in a traditional lab setting that I can remember.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

So Boom Boom has gone from the bomb squad to K9 duty?

I would suspect handling a K9 would be a subset of bomb detection and elimination.

• Like 1

I'm never good at guessing who the bad guy is, but even I got it in the first 5 mins.  Otherwise it was a decent episode.

Sidenote - I was on a flight from Newark to Las Vegas and got stuck in the aisle in first class while boarding.  It took me a few but I realized the entire first class cabin was all boisterous black people. I noticed the only quiet person was sitting on my right and as I turned to look at why this person was so quiet, he looked up at me.  It was LL Cool J. I went "Oh!" and kind of pointed at him.  He smiled and nodded, and I smiled and nodded back.  His smile is ridiculous.  One of my few Brushes with Greatness.

• Mind Blown 2

Poor Boom Boom, being allergic to so much, and pineapple in Hawaii!

I figured George was in on the plot, but it would have been fun if he was on the up-and-up and could be used as an informal informant.

On 3/5/2024 at 7:12 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

Can Sam Hanna be shipped off back to LA now? He is underused and uninteresting here. 👋🏻 

I think that NCIS: LA was unique, or perhaps going back to JAG with a Big 2 and the other guys getting an occasional B story  format. Since it seems as LL Cool J is fine with spending time in Hawai'i to be used in the occasional Big 2 with Vanessa Lachey its fine with me. He is still in the running for G.O.A.T. Hip Hop stars even in a guest role after being in a co-star role for a decade.

(edited)
On 3/6/2024 at 12:55 PM, Daff said:

I would suspect handling a K9 would be a subset of bomb detection and elimination.

Yeah, but those are not the same dogs as dogs trained for illegal substances. Unless we're talking about Five-0s Eddie who was the greatest canine multi-tasker since Lassie.

Also: having plant based allergies that bad should disqualify you from dog handling. Dogs in customs spend a lot of time sniffing produce as watching too many episodes of Border Patrol has taught me. We'll have to hand wave this scene as Boom Boom borrowing a dog - cheaper than hire another actor.

Speaking of economizing - I loved how the other customers at the bar did not bat an eye when the tall blonde woman pulled a gun and pointed it the supposedly much beloved regular.

Will we get a big wedding by the end of the season? 

Edited by MissLucas
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
20 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Yeah, but those are not the same dogs as dogs trained for illegal substances. Unless we're talking about Five-0s Eddie who was the greatest canine multi-tasker since Lassie.

Also: having plant based allergies that bad of should disqualify you from dog handling. Dogs in customs spend a lot of time sniffing produce as watching too many episodes of Border Patrol has taught me. We'll have to hand wave this scene as Boom Boom borrowing a dog - cheaper than hire another actor.

Speaking of economizing - I loved how the other customers at the bar did not bat an eye when the tall blonde woman pulled a gun and pointed it the supposedly much beloved regular.

Maybe JAG but I wouldn't put the NCIS franchise any higher on the reality meter than 5-0. That young agent isn't even retired like 5-0's Eddie was supposed to be.

Of course this bar, staffed by felons, shouldn't  have many regulars and those veterans around the bar wouldn't be the first time they had seen  a gun pulled in anger.

You're right they all should have been breaking for cover when Whistler pulled her weapon.

• Like 1

I think this is the first episode where I truly felt the chemistry between Whistler and Lucy, where Whistler is the straight-laced person who feels she needs to be more spontaneous and Lucy is the person to bring that out of her and Lucy wants a stable partner.  I'm not sure if that is a solid foundation for a long-term relationship in real life, but it works in television.

If people feel Sam Hanna is being underused, other people would feel he is taking over the show at the expense of the regular cast if he were being used more.  Right now, they should be introducing the character in a way that doesn't confuse viewers who didn't watch the LA show.

• Like 2