Type keyword(s) to search

X-Men'97

• Start Topic

(edited)

Magneto coming in hot like Alexis Carrington? Hell fucking yes. 'My husband left me everything!'

Jean being pregnant? I wonder if they're going to go Rachel or Nathan here... Inferno is so crazy and I know people love Maddie Pryor but man that's a gigantic mess so I could see them play this out as Jean having Nathan and them having to send him to the future and, boom, there's Cable!

God I love this insane soap opera!

Edited by Dandesun
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

X-Men-97-key-art.jpg

Ray Chase as Cyclops
Jennifer Hale as Jean Grey
Alison Sealy-Smith as Storm
Cal Dodd as Wolverine
JP Karliak as Morph
Lenore Zann as Rogue
George Buza as Beast
AJ LoCascio as Gambit
Holly Chou as Jubilee
Isaac Robinson-Smith as Bishop
Matthew Waterson as Magneto 
Adrian Hough as Nightcrawler

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Dandesun said:

Magneto coming in hot like Alexis Carrington? Hell fucking yes. 'My husband left me everything!'

I know, right? But still, the animation that they did in '92, which looked like they were literally lifted from the comic, was so.much.better. You had the details of expressions and craggy looks. While this new one looks better than the last handful of episodes where the animation was crap, it's not on par with the original.

AND THIS! THIS is the Cylops that should have been in the live-action, instead of the man-boy they got who couldn't and wasn't on the same level as Jackman's Logan/Wolverine.

Whaaat?

31 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Ray Chase as Cyclops
Cal Dodd as Wolverine
JP Karliak as Morph
Lenore Zann as Rogue
George Buza as Beast
AJ LoCascio as Gambit
Holly Chou as Jubilee

*sniff* that we lost Norm Spencer (Original Cyc) and David Hemblin (Magneto) four years ago. Otherwise I was gonna side-eye why they weren't asked to reprise their roles.

Chris Potter (Gambit), Catherine Disher (Jean), Allyson Court (Jubilee), Ron Rubin (Morph), Phillip Akin (Bishop) are still around. I'm assuming they weren't either approached or interested. I know Potter was recast in the last few episodes in the original.

But YAY! Got Cal, Alison, George, and Lenore back to reprise their roles!

Either way, I am.SO.EXCITED! Do NOT disappoint me, Marvel!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Chris Potter (Gambit), Catherine Disher (Jean), Allyson Court (Jubilee), Ron Rubin (Morph), Phillip Akin (Bishop) are still around. I'm assuming they weren't either approached or interested. I know Potter was recast in the last few episodes in the original.

Many are voicing other characters.  You can read the details here (https://ew.com/x-men-97-trailer-legacy-costumes-casting-confirmed-theo-james-8580432)

This trailer looks so good. I have always liked any incarnation of Scott/Cyclops over Logan/Wolverine.  Cyclops saying "My-X-Men" gave me the same feels as Evan's Captain America saying "Avengers Assemble!"

And Gambit. My favorite X-Man ever is back. Sp glad Tatum never got the chance to ruin him for me.

• Like 1
On 2/15/2024 at 1:05 PM, Dandesun said:

Ha! 

I recently rewatched the original series on Disney+, so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the trailer. I shall be watching!

On 2/15/2024 at 2:18 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

AND THIS! THIS is the Cylops that should have been in the live-action, instead of the man-boy they got who couldn't and wasn't on the same level as Jackman's Logan/Wolverine.

On 2/15/2024 at 7:19 PM, Enigma X said:

I have always liked any incarnation of Scott/Cyclops over Logan/Wolverine.

Yep, I too prefer Cyclops.  

• Like 1

I'm actually fine with this. Let the animated series exist in its own world given that we've seen X-Men in the MCU multiverse situations they're clearly building something there and I'm very eager to see it. 

Can I also say that I appreciate that they've finally drawn Gambit as legit hot? About freaking time. He's gone through some rough animated patches. (Wolverine & the X-Men was the worst offender there.)

The usual suspects out there in Internetland are screaming about Morph being gender fluid and WOKE. *aggrieved sigh* Just admit you don't know anything about the X-men if you're going to start throwing 'woke' around as a bad thing. Cripes this is fatiguing.

I do wonder what stories they'll come up with or draw from. They've got even more to pull from now than they did before so it will be interesting to see what they decide to adapt. I mean, it looks like Inferno might be in the cards somehow which... would be INSANE but I could be here for it. Depending...

I do think it's interesting that the show runner Beau DeMayo is referring to Rogue and Gambit as the OTP... I'm down. I love them. Just enough with the touching angst! Since they've got past that in the comics it's been an absolute blast to have them deal with other shit. Play with it show-runner!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

I do think it's interesting that the show runner Beau DeMayo is referring to Rogue and Gambit as the OTP... I'm down. I love them. Just enough with the touching angst! Since they've got past that in the comics it's been an absolute blast to have them deal with other shit. Play with it show-runner!!

They are one of the very few ships that I am properly invested in, so this makes me happy. And I agree about the angst.

GIeVxYbXcAAVw5w?format=jpg&name=large
GIe_BlRWoAARr3E?format=jpg&name=large
GIe3DBeXgAEXP1b?format=jpg&name=medium
GIaHq5sa4AAzSH8?format=jpg&name=large
Ray Chase as Cyclops
GIaHq54a0AACDNN?format=jpg&name=large
GIaIcy8aUAAMXJ0?format=jpg&name=large
GIaImUfbUAAjJz4?format=jpg&name=large
Cal Dodd as Wolverine
GIaI4WraYAAj7rW?format=jpg&name=large
JP Karliak as Morph
GIaJB0ObQAAlyVo?format=jpg&name=large
Lenore Zann as Rogue
GIaInNEacAA_YAH?format=jpg&name=large
George Buza as Beast
GIaJAiYaYAApTc7?format=jpg&name=large
AJ LoCascio as Gambit
GIaIuhGasAAe0ti?format=jpg&name=large
Holly Chou as Jubilee
GIaI56JaEAAbS3C?format=jpg&name=large
GIaIeg3a8AArygV?format=jpg&name=large
GIaIwrOa8AAZiB9?format=jpg&name=large
Gui Agustini as Sunspot

• Like 1
On 2/15/2024 at 1:05 PM, Dandesun said:

Inferno is so crazy and I know people love Maddie Pryor but man that's a gigantic mess so I could see them play this out as Jean having Nathan and them having to send him to the future and, boom, there's Cable

People love Maddie? I always thought I was along in loving that character.

Magneto - I'm a good guy now, so I've made my costume as ridiculous as possible!  Forget a little X, I'm going to plaster a giant M on my chest!  And yes, I realize it's from the comics.

Speaking of Magneto, looks like he and Gambit are going to have it out soon.

While the animation from the second trailer is good, I've noticed it's not as good as the original series. Which I stated looks like they were lifted from the comic book pages, with the detailed animation. Here, the few glimpses I see of Rogue and Jubilee, for instance, their lips aren't well defined, but look like smears, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I'm anal. So what'syerpoint?

(edited)

Saw the first two episodes last night and I won't spoil anything but I will say things are a lot kinetic and flashy now.  Whenever someone uses their powers, from Cyclops using his optic blasts to Rogue using hers to drain someone of their vitality, there's lots of flashy energy effects.

I will say this much, though - Episode two is very emotional and none of you are going to be prepared for what's going to happen.

UPDATE: Alright, I will spoil one thing -

Spoiler

In episode one, Gambit makes breakfast wearing a midriff.

Edited by bmoore4026
1 hour ago, bmoore4026 said:

I will say this much, though - Episode two is very emotional and none of you are going to be prepared for what's going to happen.

Unless you've read the right comics...

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

I didn't think it was very emotional and was prepared enough.

Only thing is that I am slightly annoyed that they now have a gun that can take mutant powers away. Seems cheap.

But overall I really liked this. I'm in. Wondering who the second Jean is.

1 hour ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Only thing is that I am slightly annoyed that they now have a gun that can take mutant powers away. Seems cheap.

Seriously? Cheap is too kind. I’m already peeved at learning this.

Just watched and I’m also in.

A few nitpicks I want to get out of the way:

1. Logan’s eye color is WRONG! They’re supposed to be BLUE! Not Gray!
  2. Magneto’s lips look like he’s wearing pink lipstick!
  3. Jubilee’s gorgeous topaz brown eyes are now just black holes!

What happened to Storm can’t be permanent, right? Riiiiiight?! I have to believe they’ll undo it in a Days of Future Past kind of way!

Just what was that with Rogue and Magneto? And Gambit saw, right? Hoo Boy!

I’m hoping that we’ll see Bobby/Ice-Man and Warren/Arc Angel. I mean showin that picture more than once when they, Scott, Jean, and Hank as first students has to mean something, right?

It also looks like there will be two episodes a week.

And now imma gonna watch the original.

(edited)
5 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

I didn't think it was very emotional and was prepared enough.

But overall I really liked this. I'm in. Wondering who the second Jean is.

Really?   You weren't moved when

Spoiler

Storm realized she lost her powers by reaching up to the sky and not being able to summon the wind or rain or anything and was crying?  Or her reaction when Beast tells her the effect is permanent? 

This plot development is from the comics.  Back in 1984, Storm was hit by a blast from a power neutralizing gun and was powerless for 4 years.  The gun was not created by the Friends of Humanity, but by Forge and it was intended to be used on Rogue because the government believed she killed an FBI agent and were out to arrest her.  Forge is able to nurse Storm back to health and something close to love develops between them until she found out that he created the device that depowered her and she angrily leaves.  The story is called "Lifedeath", which is also the title of one of the upcoming episodes. 

There's also "Lifedeath 2" where Storm ends up in village in Kenya being treated for injuries she got from a pair of white supremacist mutants who were hunting her (and other Africans) for sport.  Don't worry, they got theirs in Uncanny X-Men 200.  I don't know if "Lifedeath 2" will be a direct adaptation, but it does involve the woman Shani, the woman Storm helped in giving birth to her son MjNari, though the MjNari in the comic story is a very old man who leaves the village to go out into the wilderness and die as the village has very limited resources and food, so he, as the eldest in the village, must leave so the younger generation can have what little there is.  Somehow, finding out about all this gives Storm the strength to carry on. 

It wouldn't be until Forge and Storm were shunted into a dimension by an entity called The Adversary where time passes differently that she finally got her powers back.  She and Forge re-developed their romantic relationship while in that dimension, so there's that.

Edited by bmoore4026
A little touch ups
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Well, presumably there's something about it that makes it hard to mass produce (unlike the collars) - otherwise every Sentinel and FOH should have one.  They may have Stormtrooper level aim when shooting at someone other than Bishop, but still.

Thanks for the information, @bmoore4026! I feel so much better. But I checked imdb, and so far (they only list for the first three episodes), no

Forge so far

, but I hope it's true.

And YAY!!!!! Though we have a different voice actor for Gambit in the first two episodes, Chris Potter will reprise the role again! If imdb is to be believed, he will voice other characters, AND Gambit.

After rewatching the original episodes last night (watched up to "Enter Magneto"), I noticed for this show, they made Storm's skin color darker. I'm not complaining; it's just an observation. And also, I much prefer Rogue's original hair style, instead of the sleek look in this show.

I guess I just prefer the original show's animation style.

Now where's @Dandesun??? Helloooo! I want to know what you thought of this?

• LOL 1
On 3/12/2024 at 5:59 PM, AnimeMania said:

Hmmmm - I can't find any article that lists the official reason for his firing.  I've read speculation about OnlyFans, but he's been working with Disney for awhile, so it seems odd that suddenly became an issue. Side-eye to Disney for now. 

Anyway - I was all excited to see badazz Storm.  Should have known better. 

The animation will take some adjustment for me, but overall I liked it.  I was particularly entertained by Cyclops' landing after the Sentinel attack in the first episode.  

15 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Just what was that with Rogue and Magneto? And Gambit saw, right? Hoo Boy!

I was super confused because this wasn't even hinted at in the original. 

• Like 2

OK, overall I loved this. I rewatched season 2 recently (for some reason, I only have that one on my Disney+) and my main takeaway was how sad it is that all of the FOH stuff is still so much relevant today, 30 years later. So, I'm glad that they don't seem to pull any punches with the parallels to appease people who now complain about any real-world themes in TV shows. 

Magneto's time leading the X-Men and his trial was one of my favorite storylines from comics and I like how well they updated it for this show.

Poor Storm. I am confident though that she will get some great character development out of this and come out stronger (and probably a team leader at some point, I hope).

I like how unapologetically badass they made Cyclops. I hate love triangles and the one with Jean and Wolverine is no exception, but I have accepted that writers are probably physically unable to move on from it, so we will always see it in some capacity in every adaptation. Sigh. Still, none of them are among my favorite characters, so I am not too pissed about it.

But, this brings me to my one complaint - Rogue/Magneto. No. God, just no. Please, I am begging you, end this as soon as possible!!! I am not kidding, Rogue, Gambit and Magneto are my 3 most favorite X-Men characters and basically my 3 most favorite Marvel characters. But not as a freaking love triangle! 😭 😭 😭 Rogue/Gambit are my OTP, the only comic-book pairing I am seriously invested in and they just finally got some justice and good writing in comics. Magneto doesn't belong into that at all. Why are they doing this to me??? I understand I will not get any Magneto/Xavier canon and I am fine with it. Just please keep him away from Rogue.   😭 😭 😭 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
1 minute ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I was super confused because this wasn't even hinted at in the original. 

It wasn't! But it did happen in the comics. I've learned they are, aside from picking up from where they left off, slipping in stuff from the comics that were never part of the original show. And now I'm pissed off all over again after reading a review that

the Jean who gave birth to Nathan and is Scott's wife, is the clone, and that the one who showed up at the end of episode two is the real one?! And that is also from the comics

Why? Just...why???? Didn't I suffer that from

1994's Spiderman, when it was revealed that MJ wasn't real, but a Hydro concoction and the real MJ was dead?!

And since we have Natalie Disher voicing Dr. Cooper, that UN person, why couldn't she also just reprise her role as Jean?

3 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I like how unapologetically badass they made Cyclops.

THIS is my Cyc! Which is why I gave you the hand clap reaction! Hee! And also because of your reaction to that whole Rogue/Magneto...moment that came out of the fuck of nowhere in show canon.

• Like 1

WELL!!

I mean!

There were definite surprises and I have not been actively looking for spoilers beforehand although I did see the list of episodes and it really left me wondering. I got some clarification on some things but I look forward to how this all plays out.

I like the animation, I think it's cleaner and more active as well as being in the same style.

Storm and Bishop are two characters of color who are different shades! I love that, to be honest. And Jubilee is definitely Asian (this has long been a thing in comics where all of a sudden she's just drawn and colored as a white girl... which she is not.) 'Berto's power animation looked cool as fuck. I kind of dig that Jubilee is playing mentor to the new kid as she was the new kid before. Just know, Jubes, that 'Berto's heterosexual life partner is Sam Guthrie and I don't care what part of the multiverse it is, I don't make the rules.

Storm turning the desert into glass and then said glass into a tornado to rip apart Sentinels? Yes, it is important that we see how absolutely fucking awesome Storm is before the power negating gun. But I fear not... I know this story. "Once upon a time there was a woman who could fly." Storm's non-powered era is fucking epic, I am here for it.

And Scott being bad-ass? YESSS. He doesn't shoot lasers out of his eyes! They are 'concussive force blasts' which is just comic speak for 'he can punch you with his eyes but more.' Getting down to earth after the Sentinels attacked, hell, taking some Sentinels out before all that, using his beams to move around... so good for Scott!

I am always down for Gambit's ever present slut phase. He is a 90s man with his crop top to show off his abs but also to protect his nips while frying up some beignets. Also ready to rip the shirt off completely. Also, the little clap-clap with the tongs was a delightful detail for me.

Look, there is no heterosexual explanation for Magneto. They work so hard to make his ass soooo straight in every conceivable outlet and it just never works. There he is with mourning Charles and swanning about with his Pantene hair, his magenta body stocking, his opera gloves and his cape and yet I'm supposed to buy that he's into Rogue? Seriously? I'd sooner believe that he's sidling up to her to make Gambit jealous. Gambit wears those gloves with the middle and ring fingers covered so he is clearly down for a little hand action at a moments notice.

Is that crass? It's what the X-men do to me. They are a horny as fuck soap opera and sexuality is never set in stone but it always leans towards queer.

Magneto's flex after Storm got shot? Hells yes motherfuckers! But, again, look at that fucking DRAMA QUEEN! His grand speech, his one perfect tear, his going on about his 'old friend' and of course his 'Don't make me let you down' mic drop. Magneto is That Bitch.

I feel the Rogue/Magneto stuff smells more of 'oh, Rogue's keeping secrets, too' for me but love triangle angst is a soap staple. Ororo is on a personal journey and will be awesome. Can't wait for more Roberto DaCosta. And as for the ending? Jean? Maddie? Who is who? Will they attempt to do Inferno? I'd be shocked but also... why not? It's crazy. It's all fucking crazy.

And I LOVE it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I knew you wouldn't disappoint, Darling @Dandesun!

So please, tell me your thoughts

in the movies I watched most recently forum, ifyouplease. I'm still feeling the guilts

😁

I guess I'll sit at my table for one preferring the original animation.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And since we have Natalie Disher voicing Dr. Cooper, that UN person, why couldn't she also just reprise her role as Jean?

Because if that's her actual voice now then it doesn't really match what Jean used to sound like?  The rest of the returning cast members sound the same (with the exception of Wolverine, but that's more than just age).  On the plus side, she doesn't have to voice what Honest Trailers dubbed Jean's frequent X-gasms.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Okay I'm not going to use spoiler tags. With these all-in-one-threads it's always the case that after the episodes have aired, you come here at your own peril. Somebody could make individual episodes threads, if they really want to, though.

On 3/21/2024 at 3:13 AM, bmoore4026 said:

Storm realized she lost her powers by reaching up to the sky and not being able to summon the wind or rain or anything and was crying?  Or her reaction when Beast tells her the effect is permanent? 

If you have a strong connection to these characters, that might have been an emotional moment. But I don't really know her. As a kid I watched an episode here and there. The show ran on RTL, which we didn't get a clear picture of and it had such low ratings that RTL only dubed and aired two seasons before they cancelled it.

On 3/21/2024 at 3:13 AM, bmoore4026 said:

This plot development is from the comics.

Yeah, comics have a lot of dumb, silly plots. This is one of them. A gun that takes away powers is just... I can't come up with a better word than "cringe".

7 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Yeah, comics have a lot of dumb, silly plots. This is one of them. A gun that takes away powers is just... I can't come up with a better word than "cringe".

As opposed to a collar that takes away powers?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Oh and here's another change from the original-in the original, Warren/Arch Angel wasn't part of Xavier's original students. His introduction? No mention of his association with Xavier; yet in this show, we at least got that rectified and he was in the picture with Bobby, Scott, Hank, and Jean. So I'm hoping we'll see him again. Even if he's that fugly blue color.

• Like 1
(edited)

Those were some fun, angst-filled episodes. I don't think that I was that big of a fan back in the day, but I did see most (if not all) of the episodes. I agree with the critics . . . the nostalgia is back and it's been updated for 2024, even though it's set in 1997.

Interesting that they went with the "Age of Apocalypse"/Exiles look for Morph. The credits suggest that Mr. Sinister is still lurking around, which begs the question: would we want the insufferable dandy version seen in the recent X-books?

Great to her Storm call out her powers. Shame she had to take the hit meant for Magneto and lose her powers. In the comics, didn't she stay on the team when she was neutralized?

Magento is fun, especially if you throw away the implication that he and Rogue (still sounding like AI generating Dolly Parton-isms) had been close in the past. That worked in "Age of Apocalypse," but it makes her look bad to get closer to someone that can touch her. Anyway . . . I like the contempt in Magneto's voice as he tries to play the good guy. Part of me thinks Xavier gave him the mission because that was the worst thing he could think of doing to him.

While I'm thinking about it . . . Xavier's will was a hardbound book. Of course it was.

Fun to watch Logan behind the wheel taking Jean to the hospital. To be real, I liked other iterations of Wolverine more than that one. I like the moments of comedy here, though.

Cyclops is still Cyclops . . . so white-bread, you'd think Jean would have given birth to sentient mayonnaise. Great that we can see different uses of his optic blasts. including surviving a fall from the Blackbird. Who needs Storm, Rogue or Morph morphing into Archangel?

Just remembered . . . . Val Cooper's troops came at Magneto with guns that would not be affected against magnetism . . . but they also came in helicopters. It's like Val wanted them to die.

I'll stop here. I'm curious . . . what storylines would you like to play out this season? I'm not into the X-books, though I did get paperbacks of both runs of Marauders. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever get Kitty/Kate Pryde on this series.

Edited by Lantern7

I saw the original movies, and I know the characters well enough, but that's about it for me. I'm sure I saw some of the 90s show, and I want to say there was an 80s show? 

Anyway, I enjoyed these episodes well enough to watch more. I do enjoy the 90s touches with the clothes or the glowsticks in the club. 

I'm not buying Xavier is really dead, nor are Storm's powers totally gone either. I'm not sure Magneto is turning over a new leaf. Maybe he's secretly working with Xavier!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm not buying Xavier is really dead,

He died onscreen in the series finale in '97 and his body was then transported to what was that universe? And to Lilandra.

19 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

He died onscreen in the series finale in '97 and his body was then transported to what was that universe? And to Lilandra.

She revived him, so he's alive, but can only survive with Lilandra's advanced medical technology.  The X-Men know some galaxy hopping folks (Scott's dad, for one) so they could easily pass messages back and forth.

However, since he can't come back I guess the X-Men decided it would be in bad taste to have Morph pretend to be him, so they just had him declared dead.

• Like 1