Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E03: The Mother of All Ballls

• Start Topic

The two groups of queens meet for the first time. Tensions rise as queens put their design skills to the test in a pageant of mother-inspired couture, and showcase three mom-themed looks. Iconic fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi guest judges.

Airs 1/19 at 8pm on MTV

(edited)

From my rankings:

My tops: Q, Nymphia Wind, and Xunami Muse. Sapphira had an amazing first look, but then she kind of lost steam for me.

My bottoms: Geneva, Megami (who I keep wanting to pronounce Mega Mi) and Plane Jane.

There have been better balls in previous seasons. Overall, this was a Meh Gala.

Oh Mhayi'ya with that sheepish response. It's just like last season when Malaysia Babydoll Foxx said to Ru that she likes to fly under the radar. You could see Ru lose faith in a queen mid critique. I was surprised Ru kept her out of the bottom two.

The moment Hershii started that lip sync focusing on Geneva instead of performing to the judges, I felt it was over for her. She never seemed to get into selling the song.

Kudos to Isaac Mizrahi for not going backstage. It's usually awkward. 

Maybe it's a good thing Amanda Tori Meeting was cornered by Plane Jane in Untucked. It might make the other queens think twice about joining in and making themselves look bad. PJ may want to be the villain of the season, but I don't think that's a popular goal.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Like 1

I thought the ball was pretty boring. I never heard of many of the nursery rhyme characters and apparently the famous mother one was just make any woman and call her a mother? I understood some like Kris Jenner but others were lost on me. 

• Like 7
(edited)

I thought that the episode was fine. Good, actually. The problem here is that there were FORTY TWO friggin' looks, and that's a lot of eyeballing for any episode of anything.

Sapphira's first look was stunning. Q and Nymphia's constructed looks were jawdropping. And Megami's India Ferrah homage was certainly an improvement over the original, although I felt that she really could have elevated the look by adding a pair of deflated, lopsided boobies for the runway. Next time, Megami! Next time!

Plane (who apparently does not like to be called Jane) has gone from calculating to scripted. Is someone feeding her lines, or is she reading off of cue cards? She looked stiff and brittle throughout Amanda's Intervention in Untucked, although it should have been a triumphant moment of bitchery and/or unfettered delusion. Someone needs to bring in Melinda Verga, stat, to school these bitches on drama.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I thought the ball was pretty boring. I never heard of many of the nursery rhyme characters and apparently the famous mother one was just make any woman and call her a mother? I understood some like Kris Jenner but others were lost on me. 

I completely agree with the looks missing the thematic mark.  I am pretty schooled on nursery rhymes and couldn't place at least 1/3 of them.  I wonder if they had to change the names due to copyright infringement or ??  The famous moms were also "just moms who were famous" with the exception of just a few.  

Q, Nymphia Wind and Sapphira had some standout looks.  I ranked Plane Jane high on her ball looks, despite not caring for her game strategy.  I also placed Xunami in the top 5.  My bottoms were Mhi'ya and Morphine, with Megami saving herself with her last look. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I thought that the episode was fine. Good, actually. The problem here is that there were FORTY TWO friggin' looks, and that's a lot of eyeballing for any episode of anything.

Word, this was the longest 90 minutes of my life!  Next time I'll watch the mini-challenge, then I'll FF to the one hour mark.

• Like 2

I cannot believe Sapphira continues to place in the top with those too-small-for-her-body boobs. Whenever I see them, I imagine her receiving her Amazon package too close to when  filming began and it being too late to return them.

I'm a pre-k teacher and I did not recognize half of those nursery rhyme characters.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
(edited)

I cannot believe Sapphira continues to place in the top with those too-small-for-her-body boobs. Whenever I see them, I imagine her receiving her Amazon package too close to when  filming began and it being too late to return them.

I sort of drifted off during Sapphira's latter two looks and decided to concentrate on how hot (s)he looks out of drag in Confessionals. Ra'jah: Urkel. Sapphira: Stephane Urquelle

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

completely agree with the looks missing the thematic mark.  I am pretty schooled on nursery rhymes and couldn't place at least 1/3 of them.  I wonder if they had to change the names due to copyright infringement or ??  The famous moms were also "just moms who were famous" with the exception of just a few.  

Production blew their entire budget on “Break My Soul”.

Really disappointing to have the lovely Hershii out first. I was hoping for a different bottom two. Still it is shaping up to be quite a good season. Lots of dramah in Untucked! Good on Ms Meating for clapping back so succinctly.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, violet and green said:

Really disappointing to have the lovely Hershii out first. I was hoping for a different bottom two. Still it is shaping up to be quite a good season. Lots of dramah in Untucked! Good on Ms Meating for clapping back so succinctly.

I wasn’t a huge fan of Morphine in the first episode, but when she looked ready to throw down for Amanda in Untucked, my opinion skyrocketed. 

• Like 1

Thank you, davidincalgary29, for the Urkel/Stefan Urkelle comparisons. That's all I can picture now. LOL

I agreed with the top 3 of the week, Q and Nymphia's looks made my jaw drop. I'm sorry to see Hershii sashay away, hopefully she will continue to grow into her own, get more gigs post-show.

Jane is just Awful. Her attack on Amanda on Untucked was so weak. Looked like she expected Amanda to go full Shangela on her, Jane would then tell Amanda she needs to calm down, why is she yelling at Jane for stating an unasked opinion, etc. And Amanda basically, calmly, told Jane she doesn't care what Jane thinks. I love that no one fell for Jane's sh-- . 

A free Master Class in Quiet Shade was provided by Mother and winner of the first DR, Miss Bebe Zahara Benet on this week's Pit Stop. I recommend it to all. 

Just now, Kaboom 2.0 said:

Thank you, davidincalgary29, for the Urkel/Stefan Urkelle comparisons. That's all I can picture now. LOL

I agreed with the top 3 of the week, Q and Nymphia's looks made my jaw drop. I'm sorry to see Hershii sashay away, hopefully she will continue to grow into her own, get more gigs post-show.

Jane is just Awful. Her attack on Amanda on Untucked was so weak. Looked like she expected Amanda to go full Shangela on her, Jane would then tell Amanda she needs to calm down, why is she yelling at Jane for stating an unasked opinion, etc. And Amanda basically, calmly, told Jane she doesn't care what Jane thinks. I love that no one fell for Jane's sh-- . 

ETA thank you, Palllida, for reminding me about how quickly Morphine stood up for Amanda. : ) 

A free Master Class in Quiet Shade was provided by Mother and winner of the first DR, Miss Bebe Zahara Benet on this week's Pit Stop. I recommend it to all. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, violet and green said:

I was sad to see Hershii go first, as well.  But, on reflection, the ball outfit she created was a big miss.  Not only was it weak in design, she didn't create the pants themselves, just added a piece of fabric over the pockets.  I don't think I have seen anyone in the US franchise not create a bottom piece for their look.  

It broke my heart when Hershii was sharing her fears about being the first to leave.  I sincerely hope she has a big boost in her career after this.  (And gives her kids lots of hugs upon returning!)

• Like 5

I was sorry to see Hershi go. She seems sweet, nice and kind. Here’s hoping her career takes off.

Clearly, Plain Jane has her sights on being this season’s villain. She comes across as inauthentic and scripted. She strikes me as the type who  only goes after someone she perceives to be weak or unpopular.

• Like 6
On 1/22/2024 at 12:43 AM, Adeejay said:

She strikes me as the type who  only goes after someone she perceives to be weak or unpopular.

And seemed a bit taken aback when nobody else jumped on her Trash Amanda bandwagon. I don’t think she was trying to be just a villain, I think she was angling for the role of Lead Heather. I’m glad Amanda was not intimidated and that she received support from the other girls. Maybe when she realizes she’s just ostracizing herself, Plane Jane will tone it down a bit.

• Like 1