Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E10: FishWife Canned Fish; Dingle Dangle Baby Toy; Vibe Ride Skateboard Brakes; Heather’s Choice Dehydrated Meals

• Start Topic

(edited)

Sharks-Guest Shark is Sprinkles Cupcakes founder Candace Nelson, Mark, Daymond, Kevin, Lori.

FishWife Canned Fish-a modern tinned seafood company. $350k for 4% equity.   They sell ready to eat fish straight out of the can.  Smoked Salon, Rainbow Trout, Anchovies, Tuna , and Mackerel.   All are packed in oil, they’re thinking of having a water packed version.   They sell for $7.99 retail.  Candace and the seller say they have tinned fish $750k in 2021, first year, 2022 $2.6 million, now $5.8 million in 2023. 50/50 retail and direct.  Whole Food is the first national partner.   

Kevin says $350k as debt for 3 years at 11% interest, 5% equity.   Daymond offers $350k 15 cents per can, no equity.  Mark is out.  Candace offers a deal with Lori, Lori is talking Boarderie again as a partner, $350k for 10%.  Seller wants 6% with 1% advisory shares to Lori and Candace, and $350k

Deal with Lori and Candace.   6% equity, 1% advisory shares each, and $350,000.

Dingle Dangle Baby Toy Headband-a diaper changing helper. It’s a headband (the parent wears it) with a dangling toy to entertain kid during diaper changes.   $75,000 for 20%.  It can be a mobile for the baby stroller, and it can be turned into a baby toy with a stuffed puffer fish.   Daymond is having fun with it.  They have a patent.  $67,000 in 2022, but ran out of product.   Margins are about 60%.  2023 $40k in sales, projected $185k for the year,  and that’s only a few months.  It would be good as a sensory toy too.   They’re profitable most months.  Kevin is out.  Mark is out. Daymond is out.  Lori is out, she thinks it's too limited in scope.   Candace doesn’t want to license it, and she’s out.  

Kevin pitches a royalty deal, $75k 20% equity, $1 royalty until he makes $300k.

Kevin makes the deal.

VibeRide Skateboard Brakes-a brake for skateboards.  Brakes for skateboards and longboards, I’m out.  $250k for 10% equity.   Makes riding down hills safer.  The Sharks get custom skateboards.  It’s been tested up to 50 m.p.h.   Retail at $250, and $189.   63% margins.   It’s 50/50 custom boards and just brakes for your own board.   They have six utility patents.    Opened up for pre-sale two months ago and have $150k, expect $650k this year.   One entrepreneur spent $450k buying other people’s patents   Mark $250k at 15%, and goes to 12% at 250k.

Mark makes the deal.

Heather’s Choice-dehydrated meals-lightweight packable gorumet meals.  Casual meals and snacks for adventurers.  Heather wants $250k for 10% of her company.   Food for campers,  All gluten free, high quality ingredients.   They also have snacks, cookies in six varieties called Packaroons.  The Sharks all love the cookies and the meals.  They have 6 breakfasts, 8 dinners, and the 8 varieties of Packaroons.  75% margins, online and Amazon, REI.  $1 million in sales in 2022.  Not profitable yet.   She needs a co-packer that will keep the quality.   They should go to 80% margins with a good co-packer.  I can see this for emergency meals, as well as adventure travelers.   Kevin calls it a niche market.  Candace says it needs to be microwaveable, and expand the market appeal.    She has $1 million in debt.   Daymond says she needs to pitching the negatives, and should be proud of herself.  

She didn’t make payroll yesterday.    I hope she gets a deal with immediate cash from a shark.     I can see this popular for after school snacks, travelers, as well as adventurers and campers.  I wish a Shark who had experience with getting co-packers (Kevin, Daymond, maybe Candace), and who would do an immediate loan would have made a deal.  Maybe one of the sharks did reach out after the show, or someone a Shark referered her to.   I have to wonder at Candace saying her kids need after school snacks and meals.  I'm sure they're not starving.  

Daymond reminds everyone of Jeff Bezos having years of no profit, that became Amazon.    Kevin is out. Candace tells her to get a co-packer, and she's out.   Mark says she needs to say yes to more opportunities, and find a co-packer immediately, branch out, and says it's on her, and he's out.  Daymond won't do it now.    Lori says it's not investible.

(I wish the seller had been more reasonable, she could have a fantastic successful company, and won't listen to anyone else, and won't do the required way to expand her business). 

Everyone is out, no deal.  They gave her great advice, but she's not taking it.  She's going to keep on the way she has been, and I wonder if the company still exists?   Apparently, the company does still exist.   I have to wonder how the company has survived since the episode was filmed.   

Update:  Bala, exercise gear, made a deal with Mark and Maria Sharapova.   Expanded their product line, and have online classes.  They did well during the home workout pandemic era.  They were over staffed, and have $64 million in lifetime sales.  They’re about to launch in 1700 Target stores. 

Iconic moment: Wine & Design.   It’s an art and wine party business, with a live male model, Barbara went nuts for this.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I laughed so hard watching Daymond swagger around with the dingle dong toy on his head. The Riz!!! 

Er...fishwife? Saying "tinned" doesn't make you sound all fancy and sophisticated (or British or Australian if that's what you were going for), nor does it elevate CANNED FISH.  Sit down. You serve sustainably sourced CANNED tuna in oil on "nice" bread with "awesome" butter and maybe it would also be tasty and about a third of the price of your product. 

I needed Barbara on this ep to tell Heather to stop crying about how bad her business had gotten. It turns a potential investment into a rescue mission. I've seen a ton of those boil in a bag meals at REI - you pretty much add enough hot sauce and anything will taste OK. Especially after a day hiking. 

Oh, and Sprinkles? Sure, your kids have nothing to snack on except mac and cheese. You don't have a catered fridge full of healthy food at the ready? Shut up. And you owe me a new head because I rolled my eyes too hard at you and it broke. Payment in cash and cupcakes with buttercream frosting only, please.

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

But at up to $16 for a single bag/meal?!?

Honestly that would be cheaper than some of my other work lunch options. 

• Useful 1

For once, it was nice to see a dad who was pitching his business. I'm tired of these #girlboss momtrepreneurs who come in asking for 500K for 5% for some old drab baby product that they "reinvented". I'm sure that if it was a single mom who pitched this product they would be all over the product and be throwing offers on it. The women sharks would be the first to say stuff like "oh honey we're going to blow this up" and "I''m going to give this to all the moms I know" etc

Also what kind of creepy baby gym/therapy was Candace a part of?? Engaging the baby's core muscles??? WTAF

Do they mean that I can just start a business based on any tiktok trend?? Hot Girls eat tinned fish? Seriously? I've heard of the "hot girls eat pickles" thing but this was ridiculous. So I just need to start a pickle company and "elevate" the product and packaging and charge a premium price and I'll have a multi-million dollar business right?

• Like 4
19 hours ago, tired and hungry said:

Do they mean that I can just start a business based on any tiktok trend?? Hot Girls eat tinned fish? Seriously? I've heard of the "hot girls eat pickles" thing but this was ridiculous. So I just need to start a pickle company and "elevate" the product and packaging and charge a premium price and I'll have a multi-million dollar business right?

And what happens when eating tinned fish is no longer a tik tok trend?  The problem with creating products related to trends (rather than having potential long-term customers) is that by the very nature of the word, trends come and go.  I have had tinned fish and I actually like tuna (albacore packed in water), but I don't like fish packed in oil (it's...wait for it...too oily...).  But, according to the presenter, because I like canned albacore tuna, I'm probably not sophisicated enough for her product (especially at $7.99).  I was surprised that all of the Sharks thought it was delicious.  Something for everyone.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 1/12/2024 at 9:49 PM, potatoradio said:

I needed Barbara on this ep to tell Heather to stop crying about how bad her business had gotten.

When Heather said she couldn't meet her payroll, you could see Kevin looking sympathetic but also thinking "Hard NO." You can have sympathy for someone's plight (and the sharks have all been close to this position themselves), but a money pit is a money pit, and a contestant who says "I want your money but won't take any of your advice" is someone to stay away from.

And it wouldn't surprise me if her business is still afloat from a short-term loan she wrangled on the premise of "I'm gonna be on Shark Tank and they all loved the food, so sales should explode!"

Personally, my choice of workplace food (before going Work at Home fulltime) was Soylent drinks. I'd bring two into the office and have one for breakfast at the start of the shift, and the other one for lunch. And at $40-50 for a 12-pack, they're a heckuva lot cheaper and more convenient than McDonald's or TV dinners or whatever (I despise leftovers, so that wasn't an option).

Meanwhile, after checking Fishwife's website, I found the secret to the great taste: Each tin of salmon is 260 calories with 900 mg (39% of the USA RDA) of sodium. To be fair, the tuna and trout are lower in salt, but if you dump almost 1/2 teaspoon of salt on 3 oz of fish (which sells for $11), it probably WILL taste good.

Having said that, Kevin's initial offer (taking 5% equity in exchange for a loan at 11% interest) was cold-blooded, even for him. Fortunately, the other sharks had better offers. She totally went with the right one: two sharks with Lori ready to incorporate the fish into her Boarderie business.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
36 minutes ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Having said that, Kevin's initial offer (taking 5% equity in exchange for a loan at 11% interest) was cold-blooded, even for him. Fortunately, the other sharks had better offers. She totally went with the right one: two sharks with Lori ready to incorporate the fish into her Boarderie business.

Barbara and Lori often state that they will incorporate a product into an already existing product/line.  I wonder how they are able to make such statements/promises when they are not majority stock owners.  Are they able to force businesses to accept whatever promises they make to someone else?  

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Barbara and Lori often state that they will incorporate a product into an already existing product/line.  I wonder how they are able to make such statements/promises when they are not majority stock owners.  Are they able to force businesses to accept whatever promises they make to someone else?  

It's possible the agreement they sign with Shark Tank businesses allow them a large amount of control.

• Useful 1
On 1/17/2024 at 9:08 AM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Lori ready to incorporate the fish into her Boarderie business.

On 1/17/2024 at 9:47 AM, seacliffsal said:

This is the second time this season that Lori has decided she will get a product included with Bored-A-Ree (sarcasm, not a typo).

She's a bully to her investees. She loves to act as though she has controlling interest when she is nowhere near close to it.

• Like 1
On 1/12/2024 at 9:49 PM, potatoradio said:

I needed Barbara on this ep to tell Heather to stop crying about how bad her business had gotten. It turns a potential investment into a rescue mission. 

She has burned through $2.3million with a product that has 75% margins. She is obviously terrible at running a business regardless as to what the product is.

"Save me from myself" is not the best way to pitch anything on Snark Tank.

• Like 5

Somehow I missed that there was an episode last week. The skateboard kids were just amazing. How indeed is it possible skateboards never had brakes?  

I don’t ever understand these food product businesses on Shark Tank. Fishwife is just importing the idea of the canned fish she had in Spain. Dried food lady I have no words. 

• Like 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

The skateboard kids were just amazing. How indeed is it possible skateboards never had brakes?  

Because you don't need them...

Brakes are for "posers"...

Edited by hacman00
  • LOL 2
9 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Somehow I missed that there was an episode last week. The skateboard kids were just amazing. How indeed is it possible skateboards never had brakes?  

Do snowboards? If not why not? Same reasoning, because they don't need them.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Shrek said:

Do snowboards? If not why not? Same reasoning, because they don't need them.

Not the same, though. It’s a completely different surface and activity.  You brake by turning on a snowboard.  Same as for skiing and ice skating. The kids described braking on the skateboard by dragging their feet on the ground, which was a bad method. They had the aha moment that they needed brakes. 

I can’t call those kids posers. They were professional or semi pro athletes. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 5
15 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Not the same, though. It’s a completely different surface and activity.  You brake by turning on a snowboard.  Same as for skiing and ice skating. The kids described braking on the skateboard by dragging their feet on the ground, which was a bad method. They had the aha moment that they needed brakes. 

I can’t call those kids posers. They were professional or semi pro athletes. 

I didn't call them posers & neither did I think they were posers but the problem with having a brake is more about weight which skateboarders always used to try & reduce. I would love to try out one of their boards but it's been so long I might end up with a few broken bones.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, Shrek said:

I didn't call them posers & neither did I think they were posers but the problem with having a brake is more about weight which skateboarders always used to try & reduce. I would love to try out one of their boards but it's been so long I might end up with a few broken bones.

yes, it was another poster who said that. 

The skateboard with brakes is a great idea for new riders who are learning to skate and whose parents worry about their kid careening down a hill at breakneck speed. It’s like training wheels or the brakes on a kid’s bike.

i was familiar with Fishwife before the episode and her products (as well as the packaging/branding) are excellent. It’s a premium product and the prices are in line with that. It’s not meant for making tuna fish sandwiches— it’s for dishes where the fish flavor and oiliness is the point. It’s not for everyone but the Spaniards have understood it for a very long time. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 1/28/2024 at 11:18 AM, marny said:

It’s a premium product and the prices are in line with that. It’s not meant for making tuna fish sandwiches— it’s for dishes where the fish flavor and oiliness is the point. It’s not for everyone but the Spaniards have understood it for a very long time. 

In other words, if you don't have a sophisticated palate and a lot of disposable income, you are not the intended market.