Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Missing While Eccentric

Trini
  • Start Topic

When a confused and battered young woman lands on Zeke's doorstep and says she was kidnapped and her abductor still has her friends, the team races to put the minimal clues together. Gabi shares devastating news with Dhan.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

GDB0WV_awAAiqSl?format=jpg&name=small  

When a confused and battered young woman lands on Zeke’s doorstep and says she was kidnapped and her abductor still has her friends, the team races to put the minimal clues together. Gabi shares devastating news with Dhan.

Premiere Date: Tuesday, January 9, 2024     NBC          10pm   

found-episode-12c.jpg

Briyana Guadalupe as Aisha Carter
Courtney Halverson as Jennifer Allen
Nicole M. Williams as Estrella
Rebecca Galarza as Brandy
Erin Elizabeth Burns as Doctor
Brittney Rae Carrera as Kate
Mike Whaley as Richard Mosely

found-episode-12g.jpg

The costumers for this show need an award. This week, I was absolutely crazy about several of the items various characters were wearing.

Do we think Gabi will really turn herself in? It seems to me that if she does, Sir will trestify that Dhanbrought him to her, thus putting Dhan in jeopardy, not only Gabi. Plus, weren't they renewed for a 2nd season? I don't see them having Gabi in prison while the rest of them solve cases without her, or with her helping from jail.

I suppose Sir might dispute her story, claiming he's there voiluntarily, in an attempt to win her gratitude or keep access to her in some way?

• Like 5

Zeke’s the first agoraphobe I’ve ever seen on TV and I really like how they’re telling his story. Found his hurt and shame this week really believable and thought the actor did a great job. As did kid-Gabi, again. It’s wonderful to see her so young, and carefree, and joyful, though it’s unfortunate that all those scenes are with Sir. Him telling grown-Gabi that her dad confided in him though, wow. I like that the the back half of the season has been reinforcing how offputting and selfish he is because I fully bought that he would have a conversation like that and revel in it.

But Sir’s speech to Dhan about how Gabi would’ve never found any of the missing people without him was so silly and untrue, I laughed right along with him lol

Because come on. The ‘help’ he’s given this season are extremely obvious clues that Gabi and Co. would’ve come up with once they put their thinking caps on. Even his insight in this episode was underwhelming. 

Figured Dhan helped Gabi track him down but their conversation at the beginning was interesting. The reverse kidnapping is obviously not great but what’s really bothered me is how Sir is getting his dream scenario (minus the chains) and Gabi is the one whose suffers and ruminates, but I understood where Dhan was coming from, especially with Gabi calling him up to be executioner. Yes, he’s the muscle of the show but that was really distasteful. I know there’s a leap from kidnapping to murder but trying to pass it off so offhandedly is a bit ridiculous. It’s moments like this where the writing and character work falters. Also Gabi, you’ve done the kidnapping thing, might as well go ahead and pull the trigger.

As for the case of the week, I thought this was one of the better ones. I understand wanting the audience to empathize with the characters but they usually make the victims so clean cut or sanitized that it undermines the story they’re trying to tell. And makes for toothless, uneven storytelling. I appreciated that this week’s initial victim was strange and complex and still shown to be worthy of care. Because that’s how it should always be. 

• Like 6

I know there's only so much logic that I can expect from these shows, BUT, whether or not Dhan was okay with Gabi killing Sir, you'd think he'd want confirmation about what happened to him, because in any case, Dhan would be an accessory to Gabi's crimes.

Correct me if a forgot a scene; but is this the first time we didn't meet the kidnappers (in a case where there was an actual kidnapper) before the reveal? I know they didn't show the husband, but did we see the wife before?

I thought the targeted victims being from the same specific fan community was an interesting variation. I thought it would have be better to actually have someone from said fan community to work with the team to find the other victims, but I guess they used up their guest star budget?

So Gabi's finally going to finally turn Sir and herself in? Yeah, I don't even have to look at next week's promo to know that's not going to go as planned!

38 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Do we think Gabi will really turn herself in? It seems to me that if she does, Sir will trestify that Dhanbrought him to her, thus putting Dhan in jeopardy, not only Gabi. Plus, weren't they renewed for a 2nd season? I don't see them having Gabi in prison while the rest of them solve cases without her, or with her helping from jail.

I do think Sir would try to not to implicate Gabi for his own twisted reasons. I don't know if that would actually work (well, TV law has a lot of leeway...), but for the show to continue, somehow Gabi would have to get away with kidnapping Sir. I'm conflicted about that, because I do feel there needs to be consequences for that.

• Like 3

The redheaded kidnapping wife was one of the people who they interviewed when they were talking to Aisha's "friends" and associates in the earlier part of the episode. I think that's how Gabi realized what was happening in the "hostage dungeon" scene. She recognized the voice and put it together with them looking for a redhead.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

How are they going to dig themselves out of the Sir plot hole?  At least we got to see how Gaby interacted with her teacher before the kidnapping. So he was a slime who was “helping” her father look for her?  Yikes.  

• Like 2
6 hours ago, babyrambo said:

Because come on. The ‘help’ he’s given this season are extremely obvious clues that Gabi and Co. would’ve come up with once they put their thinking caps on. Even his insight in this episode was underwhelming. 

Was anyone else thinking "Hey I saw 'Murder on the Orient Express, too"?

I'm always amazed by how terrible the writing is. Dhan has the entire police department at his disposal PLUS Margaret whose superpower is noticing things, yet he decided to go ask Sir for help as if that was his only option?

How ridiculous was it for Zeke to call Gabi when she's at a rave instead of texting?

Why does Zeke keep a feed of all those street cameras? Yeah I understand a Ring but he effortlessly hacks into the DC Police system?

The perpetrator was immediately obvious, but 

Spoiler

Had her husband been shown before? It seemed like maybe they edited something out because they talked like they were familiar with him and had just discovered the connection with the anger management lady. 

Did Margaret quit the bus station? 

• Like 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I thought it was a little weird that they didn't put a picture of both girls on the wall.

Because they did not find Aisha Carter, she escaped on her own and found them.

Edited by meira.hand
  • Like 2
34 minutes ago, meira.hand said:
8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I thought it was a little weird that they didn't put a picture of both girls on the wall.

Because they did not find Aisha Carter, she escaped on her own and found them.

But Zeke still saved/rescued her.

• Like 2

How convenient that Aisha managed to escape to Zeke's block.

So nobody kidnaps Gabi but you, Sir?!🤣

Ok,so Sir thought what...by taking Gabi to the farmhouse, she would love it and that could be their secret hangout spot?  When that didn't happen because he couldn't mind his business about her social life, he resorts to kidnapping her.

I would think Gabi would already know her father seached tirelessly for her.  Sir was most likely lying or heavily embellishing her father confiding in him.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, FlowerofCarnage said:

How convenient that Aisha managed to escape to Zeke's block.

I thought she was released there as bait, but maybe I'm over thinking that. I guess it's possible that the kidnappers didn't know about Zeke. But my assumption was that they wanted Gabi-- she'd be the Big Get for a "game hunter" like that team of horrible folks.

3 hours ago, cfinboston said:

How ridiculous was it for Zeke to call Gabi when she's at a rave instead of texting?

I thought the same thing! Or as soon as she said she couldn't hear, hang up and text.  Did not like the Dhan/Gabi making up at the end, he shouldn't have given her such an easy out.  Someone needs to hold her feet to the fire, this Saint Gabi thing is getting ridiculous.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, jabRI said:

Did not like the Dhan/Gabi making up at the end, he shouldn't have given her such an easy out.  Someone needs to hold her feet to the fire, this Saint Gabi thing is getting ridiculous.

I think that Dhan and the rest of the guys (especially Dhan and Margaret) realized that if Gabi wasn't part of the organization, they might lose their ability to engage productively in society, let alone keep the organization going.

19 hours ago, possibilities said:

The costumers for this show need an award. This week, I was absolutely crazy about several of the items various characters were wearing.

Agree that the outfits on this show are great. This episode’s party scene being a standout. Usually network tv costuming just does the athleisure or business causal thing for everyone but here they all have a distinct style and it shows.

Also idk about Gabi turning herself in. Her having her insanity plea all thought out from a couple episodes back makes me think she means it but how much everyone at M&A depends on her might change her mind? They nearly unraveled when she was taken during this episode. Having seen the promo it seems like her surrender will go about as well as Dhan killing Sir in this episode tbh. 

18 hours ago, Trini said:

I do think Sir would try to not to implicate Gabi for his own twisted reasons.

Definitely. If Sir has any say Gabi won’t spend a day in prison. When Lacey said Gabi was his oxygen, I believed her. Whatever twisted relationship of theirs he’s rationalized in his head, he certainly believes her to be ‘his’. She wouldn’t even get halfway through his confession before he takes the fall in some way.

And given their dependency on each other, I feel like the others finding out and being as disappointed in Gabi as Dhan was would be more of a punishment for her than jail time. I actually wish they’d focused on that a bit more instead of brushing over Dhan’s valid concerns of what Gabi did. 

• Like 2

So Dhan is ok with killing your abuser but not with giving them a taste of their own medicine?

Honestly, she didn't even need Dhan if she wanted to off Sir. Did she forget she was fully prepared to kill him with rat poison in ep. 9.🤣

• Like 2

I don't understand the reason for the fake friends tiny subplot. It added nothing to the overall plot. If there's this huge group who's into a book series. Why spend time photoshopping on social media?  There's a huge group who likes the same thing you do. Also if the book series is this huge thing. Various types of women would be there. His plan was to pick off every black woman at the events?  Gabby's late father talked to Sir, but never assumed he took his daughter? I know the police can be awful when it comes to missing minority children,  but nobody assumed a teacher took her? Did Sir return to work everyday after the kidnapping?  I guess they just brushed her off as a runaway, even though she didn't fit the common characteristics. Of course, the victim ended up at Zeke's of all places. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

I don't understand the reason for the fake friends tiny subplot. It added nothing to the overall plot. If there's this huge group who's into a book series. Why spend time photoshopping on social media?  There's a huge group who likes the same thing you do. Also if the book series is this huge thing. Various types of women would be there. His plan was to pick off every black woman at the events?  Gabby's late father talked to Sir, but never assumed he took his daughter? I know the police can be awful when it comes to missing minority children,  but nobody assumed a teacher took her? Did Sir return to work everyday after the kidnapping?  I guess they just brushed her off as a runaway, even though she didn't fit the common characteristics. Of course, the victim ended up at Zeke's of all places. 

I was also wondering whether Sir kept teaching while he had her captive. I mean, I guess he kidnapped her right at the start of summer break, but for the rest of the year. It does seem like they would have investigated anyone somewhat close to her. Was Sir/Hugh questioned by the police? Could be interesting to see a flashback to that, especially if it, was, say, Trent doing the questioning.

• Like 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

Could be interesting to see a flashback to that, especially if it, was, say, Trent doing the questioning.

More likely it was Trents boss Mallory doing the questioning, that's why Gabby doesn't trust him on missing cases.

Edited by Brown44
  • Like 3
(edited)
On 1/12/2024 at 3:25 AM, Simba122504 said:

I don't understand the reason for the fake friends tiny subplot. It added nothing to the overall plot. If there's this huge group who's into a book series. Why spend time photoshopping on social media? 

You're right; but I think it was in there to emphasize the victim being "eccentric" and make her an unreliable narrator.

Edited by Trini
aarrrggh - typos!
  • Like 2
On 1/10/2024 at 7:07 AM, cfinboston said:

Why does Zeke keep a feed of all those street cameras? Yeah I understand a Ring but he effortlessly hacks into the DC Police system?

tbh I just assumed that Zeke had someone install cameras up and down his street because he has money and can get away with that