Type keyword(s) to search

S18: Candace Cameron Bure: Hopefully Not Meek on the Dance Floor

• Start Topic

She's DJ Tanner and now a Christian activist, starting the season dancing with Mark Ballas. This is perfect, as I cannot stand either person in this pairing.

• Love 2

She's not the overt hate-monster her disgusting bound-for-hell-if-it-really-exists brother is (because if God DOES exist he certainly would actually punish people like Kirk before innocent gay people).  But she's not innocent either.  She may believe on many levels she's right, and doing right, I have no doubts, but she's definitely complicit in any implications we see from the show (it can't all be editing, because so much is from her mouth) that she's the modest one, the saintly "Sweet" one, and that's there's a contrast between her and other women on the show.

Thankfully there's no gay cast-member on the show this season, and that Bruno at heart is very unlikely to ever push buttons with an overt gay agenda.  And that Kirk likely has been warned on pains of his sister being kicked off ASAP to stay away from the live audience.

• Love 1

I thought I wouldn't like Candace. Then I did like her. Now I just wish she'd shut her pie hole and dance.

If Kirk shows up in the audience I may hear the four horsemen. :)

• Love 3

I like Candace and I rooting for her or Danica.  My only problem with Candace is her partner as I am not a Mark fan but he does do some pretty good choreography sometimes, so hopefully they will stick around for a while

Edited by penbrat
  • Love 1

If we weren't talking about her religion...we would have to discuss her dancing.......and........well.......oh dear.  Mark's ridiculous hair aside, I really liked her contemporary week 1.  But when I re-watch it I realize that a good portion was rolling around on the floor and not actual dancing....and the dance was like 1 min. to begin with.  Week 2 she looked REALLY stiff and not very fluid.  She might struggle not that she's getting into the ballroom dances.

From what I've seen in social media world...it's looking like she might be paired with Val for the switch.  I bet 1000% the storyline that week will be the moral conflict of dancing with Val.  Which is funny because above all else I think Val is a superior teacher and dancer and he really lets his female celeb shine when they dance.  Hell he made Kelly Monaco look like a dancer.  I'm sure Val will deal with her just fine...probably approach his choreo and her clothes like he did with Zendaya.  It's Candace I am curious about how she'll deal with Val.

• Love 1

I cringed when she said that she had to, "Save certain things for her husband." Oh Dear GOD, said in my best Frasier voice, no one asked her to boink Mark on the dance floor. It's dancing not fornicating.

And for all the modest talk, she sure sticks that Angelina thigh out there way more than called for like when she's standing around ie not dancing. Just sayin'

• Love 2

If we weren't talking about her religion...we would have to discuss her dancing.......and........well.......oh dear.  Mark's ridiculous hair aside, I really liked her contemporary week 1.  But when I re-watch it I realize that a good portion was rolling around on the floor and not actual dancing....and the dance was like 1 min. to begin with.  Week 2 she looked REALLY stiff and not very fluid.  She might struggle not that she's getting into the ballroom dances.

From what I've seen in social media world...it's looking like she might be paired with Val for the switch.  I bet 1000% the storyline that week will be the moral conflict of dancing with Val.  Which is funny because above all else I think Val is a superior teacher and dancer and he really lets his female celeb shine when they dance.  Hell he made Kelly Monaco look like a dancer.  I'm sure Val will deal with her just fine...probably approach his choreo and her clothes like he did with Zendaya.  It's Candace I am curious about how she'll deal with Val.

Oh yes, Mark's hair week one - sometimes there are just no words for him

My biggest problem with Mark are the goofy facial expressions he makes when he dances.

I'm so-so about Candice.  Don't hate her, but not rooting for her.   I loved watching Full House growing up and had the biggest crush on her brother, so its so weird to see how they've turned out.

I'm really enjoying Candace. I could do without the "everything is for Jesus" talk, but I do support her in not wanting to dress too provocatively. Being sexy and beautiful does not equal dressing in dental floss like Peta. I just wish Canace would say t was because she herself doesn't feel comfortable, and not act like Jesus would care who wore what on a glittery dancing show.

I like her partnership with Mark, because I feel like mark is very supportive and caring with his partners. I think Candace has great natural ability, to my untrained eye at least, and she definitely needs some work, but I think Mark can pull it out of her. I worry about her getting screwed with this stupid switch up.

I'm very tired of the fake rivalry about an old boyfriend and Danica when they were TWEENS for crying out loud. Not that I think that is on Candace, or Danica either, but good grief.

Candace and Mark are my favorite pairing of this season.  I think they are great together.

I admire her for speaking up for herself.  Why should she have to hide who she is ?  No one else has had to.

• Love 1

It depends on where one defines the line between speaking about themselves and speaking about others.  It's a big problem with people who have a life philosophy which commands them to proselytize.  They're actually defined by a need to make people believe what they do.

Candace is admittedly on the softer side of that proselytizing, but I think it's natural why people comment on this, when its such an inherent feature of many people they've seen and heard who profess similar beliefs to Candace (including her own brother--who's among the worst at drawing lines and barriers between his beliefs and hammering on others to believe as he does).  Should she be damned along with her brother automatically?  No.  But as the biblical saying goes, to some extent she's her Brother's Keeper, at least as long as any opposition she might hold to his extremism is left unsaid.

And add to that the fact that Candace is an author, who's built books around discussing and promoting her lifestyle choices.  Which is great, but it adds to the notion that if she chooses to speak about her beliefs so publicly, she should also have to accept the consequences of (possibly) being judged for them.

• Love 2

I kind of wish she would stay with Ballas, because that would keep the only two people in the cast I really dislike together, but alas.....

She's not as bad as her brother, but I still can't like her. It's not just the religion thing either, because Lisa Whelchel was very likable to me on Survivor. I think she just didn't seem so judgy or holier than thou about it.

I haven't thought Candace was being judgemental at all. Unless I've missed something, she's only spoken about herself, not any of te other celebs or pros. Just on the show, I mean. I haven't read any of her books or interviews.

• Love 1

I don't recall anything on the show, though I wasn't paying attention to whatever she was saying about saving stuff for her husband and being a "sexual woman." It's stuff she has said in interviews, books etc that make me not like her. Doesn't affect my opinion of her dancing, but keeps me from wanting to root for her.

Her overacting during the samba routine was entertaining at least.

I'm reading one of Candace's books right now just to see what she has to say, and there's nothing remotely offensive in it.  It's advice like work really hard, raise your children properly, respect your spouse, and have a good relationship with Jesus.  The only controversial thing is that she uses the word "submissive" about herself as a wife, but she just talks about letting him know he's respected and compromising on decisions.  I mean it's a totally useless book, but it's not a book Kirk would write.

• Love 1

I love Candace and I am so glad she is on this show.  I don't get the hate she may have from some (not saying here) but she is just being who she is.  I haven't seen her telling anyone they are wrong in their beliefs. Sometimes it's almost as if you have to have a disclaimer or apologize that you are Christian now - maybe I'm wrong but it seems as if the hate comes out when faith is mentioned.  And if she wants to dress or show herself a certain way, why is that wrong?  I don't get this but then again maybe I never will. She wants to show herself well in front of her family.  I hope she goes far and it's a Candace and Charlie final two.

• Love 1

Is it always hate?

To me the issue is mostly that she shouldn't have to explain on air why she's making wardrobe choices.  The very fact that it's being brought up is either the show's producer's doing, her doing, or a combination.  There's certainly an agenda in there somewhere, because there's no reason to explain to the audience that you are any particular religion.  Brooke Burke never had any pressing need to explain to people that she's Jewish, for example.  It's irrelevant.

Hate, to an extent I think it is for some not all.  I haven't seen it on here but other places yes there is hate.  I agree she doesn't need to explain why her wardrobe choices are what they are.  I think it's on the production side of things though more than her.  That probably gives more talk. I totally agree there is no reason to give regarding any religion but somehow being or saying you are Christian seems to be a hot button for some.

I mostly found the whole exchange to be very cringeworthy. I don't want to hear about how sexual she (or anybody else on the show) thinks she is or what she thinks is sexy or how she feels about being on a "sexy" show, but I don't find DWTS to be the least bit "sexy" so maybe I'm just not their target audience for that bit. Carrie Anne's slobbering over the sort of cute guy who doesn't wear diaper pants (sorry can't remember his name) was also very cringe worthy for me. The other judges are guilty as well, but I fast forward over the judges, so I only got hers because Erin brought it up in the pre-scoring segment.

At times DWTS has the same sort of mom-sexy vibe to it that makes me snicker at stuff like 50 Shades of Grey, which is part of why I have a hard time sticking with the show in spite of how much I like watching dancing.

• Love 1

There is a gay cast member on the show this season--Diana is a lesbian. However, she remarked on how nice Candace was in one interview I read, which surprised me, to say the least.

ETA: It didn't surprise me that Diana was saying something nice about a fellow castmate, as she said nice things about everyone. What surprised me was that Candace had gotten near enough to Diana to have appeared to be nice to her!

Edited by heartsaperkin
What surprised me was that Candace had gotten near enough to Diana to have appeared to be nice to her!r!

Why is that surprising?  I don't get that at all.  She got near her because she was gay? And why the italics in appeared like she did something awful or not like herself?  This is the stuff I don't get.  She "appeared to be nice" to someone?   Maybe I am just stupid but Candace isn't doing anything against anyone right now.  If she does later on then I will take back what I said but she isn't.

Edited by Crucial

There is a gay cast member on the show this season--Diana is a lesbian. However, she remarked on how nice Candace was in one interview I read, which surprised me, to say the least.

ETA: It didn't surprise me that Diana was saying something nice about a fellow castmate, as she said nice things about everyone. What surprised me was that Candace had gotten near enough to Diana to have appeared to be nice to her!

I don't really understand this comment. And I mean no offense or anger in my comments here.  I am a Christian and while I don't agree with a gay person's lifestyle, I don't hate them and I am certainly not afraid to be around them. We have different views and beliefs possibly. But just because someone is a christian doesn't automatically make them hate anyone who doesn't believe the same thing. I know there are some people that call themselves Christian that like to hate on people, but that's not right. We are to love everybody. I think Candace does a good job of that from what I see. She seem's like a kind, loving person. I don't see her spewing hate anywhere. I think she is awesome and a great role model for her family. 

• Love 1

I don't really understand this comment. And I mean no offense or anger in my comments here.  I am a Christian and while I don't agree with a gay person's lifestyle, I don't hate them and I am certainly not afraid to be around them. We have different views and beliefs possibly. But just because someone is a christian doesn't automatically make them hate anyone who doesn't believe the same thing. I know there are some people that call themselves Christian that like to hate on people, but that's not right. We are to love everybody. I think Candace does a good job of that from what I see. She seem's like a kind, loving person. I don't see her spewing hate anywhere. I think she is awesome and a great role model for her family. 

I don't think heartsaperkin was claiming that evangelical Christians all inherently hate gays.  It sounded more like an acknowledgement that many evangelicals are very discomforted by gay people and the ones who don't choose confrontation tend to instead choose avoidance.

Awesome post and ITA.

• Love 1

You'd think if she was going to hate on anyone, it would be Drew. He's well known man whore, and I say this as a Cleveland girl. 

She strikes me as the kind of woman who drives me nuts. Something about her always seems like she's afraid of life, can't make a decision on her own, and has the wide eyed simpering helpless act down to a tee. I could be completely wrong about her, but that's the vibe I get. 

Last night was the first episode I've seen this season, I DVRd the first one and never got around to watching and then just didn't bother. She didn't overly impress me, but she certainly wasn't the worst I've seen on the show before. 

Why is that surprising? I don't get that at all. She got near her because she was gay? And why the italics in appeared like she did something awful or not like herself? This is the stuff I don't get. She "appeared to be nice" to someone? Maybe I am just stupid but Candace isn't doing anything against anyone right now. If she does later on then I will take back what I said but she isn't.

I'm guessing it's probably in relation to her having reportedly made statements against gay marriage and supporting Chik-fil-a. There's also the whole situation of her brother making some incredibly homophobic statements.

While I don't agree with her stance on gay marriage, there haven't been reports of her spouting the same level of homophobic vitriol as her brother that I can find so I think that the assumption that she would go out of her way to avoid Diana or would be unkind to her if they did interact to be somewhat strange.

Not responding to anything specific here but I've seen a lot if complaints on various forums, in article comment sections, and elsewhere on the Internet raging about her mentioning her religion or mocking her for it. I've personally found her (or at least her edit) to be fairly tasteful in her mentions of it and I say that as someone who gets hives at the idea of religion. From what I recall, she's always mentioned it as her beliefs either through a direct statement of that or through implication. From where I sit, she hasn't really come across as preachy or damning of those who don't share them. I think the only instance that came across that way to me was the comments about Danica's costume and even those I'm somewhat unconvinced as being a judgement of her. If Candace hadn't mentioned her religion, I think most people would just assume that she was self concious and that very well could be what it is. I've also seen a lot of people going after her on twitter for her beliefs and calling her a hypocrite for her Ariel costume, which was still very tasteful for the show.

On the one hand I get that it's an easy target for snark but on the other I guess I'm having a hard time seeing where she's crossed the line because I personally don't feel that she's been overly aggressive with her faith. I also think that while there's a level of discomfort being overtly sexy because she believes in modesty, there's also the knee jerk reaction to put a lot of the blame on the idea that the issues are mostly related to her shying away from that because of her faith. I think a lot of it should actually be chalked up to the fact that maybe she's just not that good of a dancer. I mean, I basically look like Elaine Benes when I dance but it has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that I can't dance and get uncomfortable about being unable to dance which just makes it worse. Her shortcomings could very well have little to do with her religion other than the fact that it's an easy target.

• Love 2