Type keyword(s) to search

Bugs related to 1/8/24 site update (show-topics to show-forums migration)

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Primetimer said:

How do we follow those so they show up on our customized home pages again?  It seems like we'd have to follow individual show forums within them, but how do I know what new ones have popped up that I may want to follow if I don't have the larger forum on my home page anymore to light up yellow and tell me new ones have been created -- will they now show up in the Recently Added TV Shows section at the bottom of the home page with this reconfiguration?

• Useful 1

The tabs at the top on the left used to say, I think, 'All Shows' and 'Your Shows.'  Now it says 'Popular Shows' and 'Your Shows.'  When I click on 'Popular Shows,' it doesn't give me an option at the end of the list for 'Other Comedy' or 'Other Candid Reality.'  So if I want to access a more obscure show, I have to type its name in the search box.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

How do we follow those so they show up on our customized home pages again?  It seems like we'd have to follow individual show forums within them, but how do I know what new ones have popped up that I may want to follow if I don't have the larger forum on my home page anymore to light up yellow and tell me new ones have been created -- will they now show up in the Recently Added TV Shows section at the bottom of the home page with this reconfiguration?

You will indeed need to follow each show individually, and yes all new shows will display in the recently added Shows section.

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

The tabs at the top on the left used to say, I think, 'All Shows' and 'Your Shows.'  Now it says 'Popular Shows' and 'Your Shows.'  When I click on 'Popular Shows,' it doesn't give me an option at the end of the list for 'Other Comedy' or 'Other Candid Reality.'  So if I want to access a more obscure show, I have to type its name in the search box.

That's right. This is another byproduct of this change. Note that you can view the entire list of all Comedies or all candid reality shows (including those that used to live under that "More [Genre]" by clicking the category name under popular shows, so, here: 

image.png

32 minutes ago, Bastet said:

You will indeed need to follow each individual show, and yes all new shows will dispaly under "Recently added" on the home page 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Primetimer said:

That's right. This is another byproduct of this change. Note that you can view the entire list of all Comedies or all candid reality shows (including those that used to live under that "More [Genre]" by clicking the category name under popular shows, so, here: 

image.png

Is this still being set up?  Looking at Comedies, they’re in alphabetical order until about the Rs, then there are a bunch of random ones, then from the Ss on they look to be sorted again. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Is this still being set up?  Looking at Comedies, they’re in alphabetical order until about the Rs, then there are a bunch of random ones, then from the Ss on they look to be sorted again. 

Looking into this. Thanks for reporting

• Like 1

One more question/request?  The info about today's issue (side effect of an update) got piggy-backed onto a thread about a different bug (see posts above from Feb through Sept 2023).  Is there any way to split out the two issues?  Or should we just wait til this update settles out and re-report the original bug if it's still happening?

8 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

One more question/request?  The info about today's issue (side effect of an update) got piggy-backed onto a thread about a different bug (see posts above from Feb through Sept 2023).  Is there any way to split out the two issues?  Or should we just wait til this update settles out and re-report the original bug if it's still happening?

Done!

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Fixed! Thanks for reporting.

I am following All Creatures Great and Small but it is not showing up in my followed shows and was until this morning. Now I have to search for it and I tried unfollowing and refollowing but it is not showing up in my tailored feed. Also, I thought that show had it's own seasonal threads but now it's all lumped up into one giant long thread since 2021???

• Like 1

A bunch of "Your Shows" disappeared from my "section" but I've found most of 'em & re-established my "ownership" of these shows... except Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is missing when I search for Star Trek shows.

Due to recent changes of converting single-topic shows into forum, some threads need to be renamed properly to avoid confusion. Most of these threads are currently being renamed as “General Discussion”.

Need assistance from Mods to rename this thread (LINK) from general discussion to “Season 1 (2023)” etc to avoid any confusion.   

C2C44397-7624-417F-9D80-CC191F409D9E.jpeg

• Like 1

Shows that had single topics, now that they have forums again, had their existing single threads converted to [Show - General Discussion] threads within those forums, and those "new" (newly titled, but with all the existing content) threads, already followed, still showed up on customized home pages. 

But now they're gone.  So I have to go find all those new forums and add them to my customized home page, right?  Except, no, only some of them are gone from my home page, while some still show up.  Is it a work in progress?

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

A bunch of "Your Shows" disappeared from my "section" but I've found most of 'em & re-established my "ownership" of these shows... except Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is missing when I search for Star Trek shows.

Thanks for flagging this. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine should now show up.

56 minutes ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

Due to recent changes of converting single-topic shows into forum, some threads need to be renamed properly to avoid confusion. Most of these threads are currently being renamed as “General Discussion”.

Need assistance from Mods to rename this thread (LINK) from general discussion to “Season 1 (2023)” etc to avoid any confusion.   

C2C44397-7624-417F-9D80-CC191F409D9E.jpeg

Thanks for flagging. Fixed!

29 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Shows that had single topics, now that they have forums again, had their existing single threads converted to [Show - General Discussion] threads within those forums, and those "new" (newly titled, but with all the existing content) threads, already followed, still showed up on customized home pages. 

But now they're gone.  So I have to go find all those new forums and add them to my customized home page, right?  Except, no, only some of them are gone from my home page, while some still show up.  Is it a work in progress?

Sorry about this. Who among us isn't a work in progress? Can you provide a couple of examples of shows that you previously followed that are no longer showing on your custom home page?

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, surfgirl said:

I am following All Creatures Great and Small but it is not showing up in my followed shows and was until this morning. Now I have to search for it and I tried unfollowing and refollowing but it is not showing up in my tailored feed. Also, I thought that show had it's own seasonal threads but now it's all lumped up into one giant long thread since 2021???

It was just a single topic, but its certainly worthy of more. Feel free to create new topics under that show as needed.  Following it works for me now. Is it still not working for you?

5 minutes ago, Primetimer said:

Sorry about this. Who among us isn't a work in progress? Can you provide a couple of examples of shows that you previously followed that are no longer showing on your custom home page?

I've had to re-add Major Crimes, The Closer, Ghosts, and Modern Family so far.

From another glance, I can see I'm also missing America's Test Kitchen, Critter Fixers, Derry Girls, Family Ties, Heartland Docs, The Good Place, The Kominsky Method, Mom ... I got tired of checking, time for the national championship game and I'll look in again tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

From another glance, I can see I'm also missing America's Test Kitchen, Critter Fixers, Derry Girls, Family Ties, Heartland Docs, The Good Place, The Kominsky Method, Mom ... I got tired of checking, time for the national championship game and I'll look in again tomorrow.

Looking into this, thanks. Enjoy the game.

35 minutes ago, Bastet said:

This should be fixed, can you let us know?

1 minute ago, Primetimer said:

This should be fixed, can you let us know?

Yep, those I listed are all back, and it looks like the correct number of shows on my home page in general, so hopefully everything is back.  I can let you know tomorrow if any are still missing, but it looks good, thank you.

9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yep, those I listed are all back, and it looks like the correct number of shows on my home page in general, so hopefully everything is back.  I can let you know tomorrow if any are still missing, but it looks good, thank you.

Great, thanks again for reporting!

4 hours ago, Primetimer said:

It was just a single topic, but its certainly worthy of more. Feel free to create new topics under that show as needed.  Following it works for me now. Is it still not working for you?

It works now

• Like 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I use a customized PrimeTimer Stream.
Major Crimes, The Closer, and other formerly single-thread shows are still being followed.
However, just FYI, the first time I clicked on them because they popped up in my stream with new content, I was dropped into several years ago.

For example, my first post-site-update visit to the Murder, She Wrote thread landed me back in 2019, here:
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/27239-murder-she-wrote-general-discussion/page/4/#comment-5315320

Not a big deal, but perhaps useful information for troubleshooting?

Edited by shapeshifter
(edited)

This may only be a glitch for Stream users?

Any single thread that I ever Followed but then Unfollowed that is in a category such as Everything Else or had a forum (for example, an SNL episode thread I had briefly followed) now needs to be Unfollowed again by going to the main forum or category page, and Unfollowing the category/forum, which the update triggered to be Followed, but apparently only puts the formerly Followed thread in my Stream..

But I’d probably rather have this glitch than the opposite of Followed single threads from Unfollowed categories/forums having been set to Unfollowed.

So consider this more as possibly useful information for troubleshooting the code rather than a complaint.

Edited by shapeshifter
(edited)

8 hours ago, Primetimer said:

Thanks for flagging this. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine should now show up.

It does; twice.

The one on the left goes into the General Discussion thread, while the one on the right goes into the new forum.

Bug.png

Edited by SVNBob
edited image

Is there a new place for those of us who followed The Royals?  I miss the pictures of all the bling and the news surrounding them and am not sure where to look for those discussions anymore.  Thank you for all your work on this site.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I'll be honest. I don't really understand much of what is said here. Can you tell me how to find the category list that would shows candid reality shows. I am totally lost on the forums. Is it just me? Thank you very much for helping. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

So we no longer get a list of all the shows and have to look up each one individually to add to "Your Shows"?  I'm sure this isn't the mods' faults, but this is seriously user unfriendly for a site which used to be the opposite.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
6 hours ago, SVNBob said:

It does; twice.

The one on the left goes into the General Discussion thread, while the one on the right goes into the new forum.

Bug.png

Thanks for reporting this.

24 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

I'll be honest. I don't really understand much of what is said here. Can you tell me how to find the category list that would shows candid reality shows. I am totally lost on the forums. Is it just me? Thank you very much for helping. 

Yes, if you click on "Popular shows" from the home page and then cick on the header that reads "Candid Reality," you'll see a complete list of shows in that genre. Here's a direct link: https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/4342-candid-reality/ 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

So we no longer get a list of all the shows and have to look up each one individually to add to "Your Shows"?  I'm sure this isn't the mods' faults, but this is seriously user unfriendly for a site which used to be the opposite.

Here's the thing. We may have been used to it, but the old way wasn't terribly intuitive either. When you clicked on "all shows," there was a list of select shows under each genre, and then a different list of shows if you clicked "More [genre]" (and that second list wasn't even alphabetized).

Now there's a selection of the most popular shows under each genre and then a *complete* list of all shows, listed alphabetically, under that genre if you click the header. 

The reality is we have thousands of show forums, which makes a single page listing them all far too long.  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Primetimer said:

Here's the thing. We may have been used to it, but the old way wasn't terribly intuitive either. When you clicked on "all shows," there was a list of select shows under each genre, and then a different list of shows if you clicked "More [genre]" (and that second list wasn't even alphabetized).

Now there's a selection of the most popular shows under each genre and then a *complete* list of all shows, listed alphabetically, under that genre if you click the header. 

The reality is we have thousands of show forums, which makes a single page listing them all far too long.  

I didn't realize that clicking on the genre did that.  That helps.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, labresq said:

Is there a new place for those of us who followed The Royals?  I miss the pictures of all the bling and the news surrounding them and am not sure where to look for those discussions anymore.  Thank you for all your work on this site.

The Royals is no longer. More info here.

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, SVNBob said:

It does; twice.

Bug.png

This should now be fixed. Thanks for reporting

• Like 1

So with this update we can no longer create topics for single documentaries or multi-episode docs ourselves or am I understanding that wrong? I'm not sure I like that since the old way was so simple and fast. Given there would be only one topic, there might have to be a revamp of the way to ask for shows, especially for specials and docs (whether one or more episodes) given they will likely only have one topic

58 minutes ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

I can't seem to find the section for animated shows. They aren't showing up on the Browse By Shows page.

Thanks for pointing this out. It's back!

23 minutes ago, DanaK said:

So with this update we can no longer create topics for single documentaries or multi-episode docs ourselves or am I understanding that wrong? I'm not sure I like that since the old way was so simple and fast. Given there would be only one topic, there might have to be a revamp of the way to ask for shows, especially for specials and docs (whether one or more episodes) given they will likely only have one topic

That's right. The problem with the old way is that the show-topics were hard to find. They also sometimes grew unwieldy. This way is a bit harder (having to request a forum), but we will commit to fufilling requests asap... and we've removed the requirement that new forums need at least three topics to start. (They can start with a single topic and members can add additional topics as needed.)

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Primetimer said:

That's right. The problem with the old way is that the show-topics were hard to find. They also sometimes grew unwieldy. This way is a bit harder (having to request a forum), but we will commit to fufilling requests asap... and we've removed the requirement that new forums need at least three topics to start. (They can start with a single topic and members can add additional topics as needed.)

I did see the updated forum requirement part after I posted so that does help. I can see how the old way could be unwieldy especially with the large number of shows you cover. I do like that shows that were all in one topic can now have more topics

• Like 2

One thing we've changed with this update is how search works. The search on the upper right side of the page now searches the forums by keyword (previously it searched only Primetimer editorial content). 

The "search by show title" search box on the home page remains a show-title search only, with the results leading to the show-specific forum for the searched title.

We'd love this group's feedback: do these two different types of search make sense to you, and are working properly for you?

• Like 1

Another question related to the recent site update: Why is there still a Limited and Event Series section? Wouldn't non-fiction stuff now go in the Talk and Non-fiction category and the scripted stuff go in the various scripted sections? What is the thinking there? Is it still related to being under 6 episodes?

27 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Another question related to the recent site update: Why is there still a Limited and Event Series section? Wouldn't non-fiction stuff now go in the Talk and Non-fiction category and the scripted stuff go in the various scripted sections? What is the thinking there? Is it still related to being under 6 episodes?

Great question, and one worth some thought on our end.

4 hours ago, Primetimer said:

Yes, if you click on "Popular shows" from the home page and then cick on the header that reads "Candid Reality," you'll see a complete list of shows in that genre.

It seems like when you expand a category on the "Popular Shows" page, there's no way to get back to any of the other categories without going back to your home page and starting over.  Am I missing something?

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

It seems like when you expand a category on the "Popular Shows" page, there's no way to get back to any of the other categories without going back to your home page and starting over.  Am I missing something?

For now, yes, that's right.