Type keyword(s) to search

The Prison Confessions Of Gypsy Rose Blanchard - General Discussion

• Start Topic

As Lifetime approaches its 40th anniversary of sharing women's stories in 2024, the network announces the three-night documentary event, The Prison Confessions of Gypsy Rose Blanchard, providing Blanchard the platform to share her story, her way. The six-hour special, premiering as two-hour episodes on January 5, 6 and 7th at 8pm ET/PT, features unprecedented access to Blanchard, a victim of Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy who suffered horrific abuse and made national headlines for her role in her mother's violent murder. Currently still incarcerated, Gypsy's shocking story has been told by many others but now, as she approaches her release in December, she is finally ready to tell her truth before she becomes a free woman for the first time in her life. The Prison Confessions of Gypsy Rose Blanchard comes from Category 6 Media, part of the A+E Factual Studios(TM) group and Emmy(R) nominee Melissa Moore (Monster in My Family) who executive produces and has documented Gypsy since 2017.

Full press release http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2023/10/12/lifetime-announces-new-documentary-event-the-prison-confessions-of-gypsy-rose-blanchard-345211/20231012lifetime01/

Trailer

• Thanks 1
(edited)

Just from the first 30 minutes, it’s clear this was a horrific case of prolonged abuse. I’m torn on how to feel about Gypsy. Murder is wrong but at the same time Gypsy was being horrifically abused by her mom and felt she was isolated and had no one to turn to in order to get out of the situation except for the boyfriend who ultimately killed Dee Dee. So I definitely have sympathy for Gypsy but I also wonder if she’s wanting a lot of attention and possibly lying to shade some things

I believe I only became aware of this case when Gypsy was arrested

Man, these accents that her family members have. Possibly Cajun?

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Wow, she accuses her grandpa of sexually abusing her when she was a child and then the grandpa tells the producers she was the one touching him. Given all the lies from Dee Dee and Gypsy over the years, who knows what the truth is here?

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 2

The stuff with her teeth always makes me physically ill. What an evil woman her mother was. And the Dr who said you can’t report without proof-wouldn’t medical records showing 3 different birthdates…plus, no neurological reason for the wheelchair, no proof of cancer etc be Proof!?  Much like her father, they just couldn’t be bothered.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

I might have believed that she was lying about the grandpa until he said that she, at age 4, was the one trying to touch him. No child unless they've been groomed (and with all the allegations against the mom, there's no suggestion that she had done this) would ever do this. That Grandpa is evil.

• Like 5
  • Applause 7
21 hours ago, DanaK said:

Man, these accents that her family members have. Possibly Cajun?

Yes they are Cajun. We were mentioning this in the original thread about the case. I will link this thread in that one. 

5 hours ago, anniebird said:

I might have believed that she was lying about the grandpa until he said that she, at age 4, was the one trying to touch him. No child unless they've been groomed (and with all the allegations against the mom, there's no suggestion that she had done this) would ever do this. That Grandpa is evil.

Yes. What 4yrs old would think of something like that unless they had seen or been told something inappropriate by another adult! And IF said 4yrs old did such a thing, a grown ass adult would know to investigate and try figure out who had been harming the child. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

From Part 1: Doctors and social workers definitely failed Gypsy. At least the pediatrician tried by calling DFS and asking Gypsy if she wanted to tell him anything, or at least says he did though Gypsy denies this, and admits he failed her. The neurologist didn’t even try to report his suspicions

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, DanaK said:

From Part 1: Doctors and social workers definitely failed Gypsy. At least the pediatrician tried by calling DFS and asking Gypsy if she wanted to tell him anything, or at least says he did though Gypsy denies this, and admits he failed her. The neurologist didn’t even try to report his suspicions

Yes. From Part 2: The pediatrician saw something was up and did his due diligence. But why would he TELL Dee Dee he was the one who called??

I get asking her to come in, but don’t let Dee Dee know you’re onto your con! (Even if he didn’t think of Munchausen by Proxy, it might have been a financial scam), for his own protection. Clearly she was unhinged. 

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Man, Gypsy was failed by just about every adult in her life. It does seem like the step mom tried, but DeeDee kept Gypsy so isolated that there wasn't much she could do.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Man, Gypsy was failed by just about every adult in her life. It does seem like the step mom tried, but DeeDee kept Gypsy so isolated that there wasn't much she could do.

Fortunately the stepmom seems to still support her since Dee’s murder. I laughed a bit when her response to learning Gypsy shot at her mom with Dee’s gun was “Good for her”

• Like 7
16 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Fortunately the stepmom seems to still support her since Dee’s murder. I laughed a bit when her response to learning Gypsy shot at her mom with Dee’s gun was “Good for her”

I do think that Gypsy’s father and step mother have been there for her since Dee Dee’s murder. I’m glad she has them.

I’m still upset at her father for dropping the ball so badly but he owns it, and he wasn’t a malicious man- but it’s the least he could do to be there for her now. I didn’t know she had a sister -she was likely a minor when Gypsy was arrested by how her face looks now and they protected her privacy which I commend. 

From a story perspective, Dee Dee’s cousin cracks me up (it’s not funny at all) because in “typical situations” people relatives that they are like “yeah we are not shocked” (not regarding murder or anything of the sort, but when you’re watching someone since their formative years you have a pretty good judge of them). He knew Dee Dee was a sociopath. 

• Like 5

Night 2: Gypsy describing the murder and the planning is chilling. Her presence in the house and the planning are likely why she got 10 years. At least she’s sorry about it and says they shouldn’t have done it. Nick is a definite psychopath, especially in wanting to rape Dee, and Gypsy should have dumped him early on. He definitely deserved life in prison

• Like 4

This last episode with the new fiance, Ryan, is really dragging.  She doesn’t want to marry this guy. First, she basically said her ex wants someone else, so she’ll still marry Ryan. Then, she said if her Dad says ‘don’t marry him,’ she won’t. She’s looking for an out. 

I have to side eye anyone that insists on marrying someone they never dated outside of an institution. Why the rush? She said she had to parole out to a relative. Is that why she wants to marry someone she obviously doesn’t love?

I really think her Dad loves her, but only wants to ‘be there’ at arms length. 

• Like 10

I want Gypsy to have a nice life. She’s still young, a job and education can be a part of her future if she wants that. But I wonder given her noterity how will she support herself outside of telling her story? I wonder if she could consult with the FBI/other law enforcement on Munchausen by Proxy profiles?

• Like 5

With all she went through and basically stunted as a child, she had 2 fiancees in jail? That's a big red flag on her mental state.  

The father seems to be hands off still, let her do what she wants then they can just get divorced is his plan. 

Ryan seems like a good person but I think the stepmom/sister had right idea she doesn't know how to live in real world. 

• Like 9

Gypsy said she wants to basically be a productive member of society. I hope she's willing to put in the work, including therapy. 

They never got into any help she might have received in prison.

I hope Ryan is patient with her without smothering her. He does seem to love her.

• Like 6

I hope that Gypsy will be more like Elizabeth Smart, who is working as an advocate for victims, but you don't hear that much about her now (occasionally but not often).  I know Gypsy is current news, but I'm afraid she won't want to leave the limelight and what that might mean for her future.   

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
On 1/6/2024 at 9:02 PM, DanaK said:

These shits should have had their medical licenses revoked. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, Lisa418722 said:

I hope that Gypsy will be more like Elizabeth Smart, who is working as an advocate for victims, but you don't hear that much about her now (occasionally but not often).  I know Gypsy is current news, but I'm afraid she won't want to leave the limelight and what that might mean for her future.   

I’d like that too, but Elizabeth Smart had a loving supportive foundation in her family/upbringing, which is why I think she was able to come out of her kidnapping and have a “normal life”. She said herself knowing her family loved her and was looking for her kept her sane. The most “normal” life Gypsy had were her years in prison. 

7 hours ago, Artsda said:

With all she went through and basically stunted as a child, she had 2 fiancees in jail? That's a big red flag on her mental state.  

The father seems to be hands off still, let her do what she wants then they can just get divorced is his plan. 

Ryan seems like a good person but I think the stepmom/sister had right idea she doesn't know how to live in real world. 

This is a man that went TWELVE YEARS without seeing his child he thought was sick. He could’ve stopped Dee Dee’s con if he saw her once every other month (I get that he worked on the gulf and out of state); he never wanted to be a hands on parent to Gypsy (or likely anyone, I’m guessing his wife did most of the childcare during Mia’s formative years, which wasn’t a problem as Christie wasn’t an abusive POS like Dee Dee). I get that he can’t turn back time and he does have to be careful, as he doesn’t want Gypsy to cut him off. But I also think in his guilt he doesn’t know how to relate to her well. 

10 hours ago, Pi237 said:

Why the rush? She said she had to parole out to a relative. Is that why she wants to marry someone she obviously doesn’t love?

Yes, so that she could parole to him. I think a better plan would’ve been to parole to her parents and date him, then get married when the parole was over. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
7 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

They never got into any help she might have received in prison.

In one of the interviews, she did talk about having taken school classes and wished she could have had more therapy than she apparently did get.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

Gypsy is going to be A lot for anyone who takes her in. Her Moms abuse normalized attention seeking behavior. She’s already been a drama chaser during her prison stay. That will be exhausting for her husband and family. I can imagine a lot of victim behavior from her after she creates her own chaos. She’ll need extensive therapy to not only learn how to relate to other people normally, but to be comfortable without constant adoration. I hope she gets there. 

• Like 6

I've said it before, but I don't see this as ending well.  Her new husband might have the best intentions, but married a murderer while she was till in prison?  No.  I don't know that her family, despite their good intentions, is equipped to get her the help she needs to live in a society and be a productive member.  All she knows is the hell her mother put her through and prison.  She needs therapy and needs to learn the skills to live a life outside of her mother's prison and actual prison.  She does not need a reality show or social media accounts.  Yes, write a book to get some revenue, but wait a bit to heal.  Her mother showed her that there are "shortcuts" to everything.  There are not.  If she truly wanted to help others, she would heal effectively and get some education.   It seems like she found a damaged man to play her husband, and is looking to parlay her experience paired with her prison GED to be some sort of expert in advocating for others in her situation.  Shortcuts.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
3 minutes ago, kathe5133 said:

I've said it before, but I don't see this as ending well.  Her new husband might have the best intentions, but married a murderer while she was till in prison?  No.  I don't know that her family, despite their good intentions, is equipped to get her the help she needs to live in a society and be a productive member.  All she knows is the hell her mother put her through and prison.  She needs therapy and needs to learn the skills to live a life outside of her mother's prison and actual prison.  She does not need a reality show or social media accounts.  Yes, write a book to get some revenue, but wait a bit to heal.  Her mother showed her that there are "shortcuts" to everything.  There are not.  If she truly wanted to help others, she would heal effectively and get some education.   It seems like she found a damaged man to play her husband, and is looking to parlay her experience paired with her prison GED to be some sort of expert in advocating for others in her situation.  Shortcuts.  

I agree. But I can’t really blame Gypsy- she said PRISON was the most freedom she ever had. Of course she wants to do things, and she is a legal adult (not a teen where by loving parents can set boundaries and guidelines to practice adult skills). I side eye her husband more than I side eye Gypsy. I get why SHE was looking to marry him, not why he wanted to marry her. “Capt save a wounded bird” complex???

For the record I am not insinuating Gypsy isn’t worthy of love or a relationship or anything of that sort- of course she is. Even with what she is done I do think she could be capable of having a loving supportive relationship ONE DAY, but the best thing would’ve been for her to get used to the outside world, under the support of her dad/step mom who seem to have some sense, and THEN meet someone. 

• Like 5

Gypsy keeping up with her exes is strange to me. She compared her husband to her mother for being jealous/controlling. Is she going to freak out if he seems to be "trying" to control her? I hope they have good therapists.

• Like 5
12 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

Gypsy keeping up with her exes is strange to me. She compared her husband to her mother for being jealous/controlling. Is she going to freak out if he seems to be "trying" to control her? I hope they have good therapists.

Lots of people keep up with their exs- and remember it’s not as if Gypsy has other things going on. Even if she had a prison job that’s not like having a regular 9-5, with a household to maintain, friends to visit etc. People who are incarcerated have a lot of time on their hands. 

Because of the abuse Gypsy suffered she’s going to be hyper sensitive to any feedback or what most of us would consider “common courtesy”. Letting your partner know what time you’ll be home after errands is common courtesy, it's not the same  them telling you not to go out. Given Gypsy has never experienced anything like that, you know, an actual peer relationship- I can see how her mind would jump. 

• Like 7

I’m not finished with the series yet but all those doctors who performed operations on Gypsy should be in jail.  One of them was like well DeeDee said she lost the records after the hurricane.  So wouldn’t someone like call the hospital she supposedly was treated at or follow up with prior doctors?  They have the medical records even if the patient doesn’t.  It’s such bullshit.  They should be so ashamed of themselves.  I’m surprised they even allowed themselves to be filmed, I would be so mortified.

I think her father cares, but he’s not about being hands on.  This is the biggest day of his daughter’s life (her parole hearing) and he can’t get off work?  If he cant show up for something this huge I don’t see him being there for the smaller things.

• Like 1
  • Applause 6

Watching Night 3 and the tapes of Gypsy and Nick talking to the police, I can’t help but feel both of them should have had lawyers before talking to the police. I’m not sure it would have changed their jail time much (especially for psycho Nick) but it always seems like the smart thing to do

• Like 3
On 1/13/2024 at 6:08 PM, DanaK said:

can’t help but feel both of them should have had lawyers before talking to the police. I’m not sure it would have changed their jail time much (especially for psycho Nick) but it always seems like the smart thing to do

No matter how many crimes shows I watch (and I watch a lot) I will never understand why so many people talk to the cops without a lawyer present.  It just makes no sense to me whatsoever.

• Like 6
18 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

No matter how many crimes shows I watch (and I watch a lot) I will never understand why so many people talk to the cops without a lawyer present.  It just makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I think a lot of people are clueless about such things and cops are allowed to lie and make it seem like the arrested person doesn't need a lawyer just yet. I can see Gypsy not having enough understanding given her limited upbringing to realize it would be a good idea to have a lawyer present from the start

• Like 5
On 1/11/2024 at 2:11 PM, mostlylurking said:

One of them was like well DeeDee said she lost the records after the hurricane.  So wouldn’t someone like call the hospital she supposedly was treated at or follow up with prior doctors?  

Not if half the hospital (or all of it) was still flooded and out of commission. Not if no one knew where the particular doctor was because cell towers were out and they evacuated to a family member and only let close relatives know, and they had to get the phone chain going. Medical centers that were operating were handling emergencies only and trying to get critical people evacuated, stay open to treat people who couldn’t evacuate or the emergency response team that needed it. Medical records wasn’t answering the phone on a regular basis for a long time (assuming that staff stayed and didn’t evacuate out for a few months). 

So many things were a shit show after Katrina, there was so much chaos and devastation I understand why initially they took her at her word (I lived in NOLA pre and post Katrina, so many records were lost and this was 2005 before everything was digital- some things were but not everything). People were trying to help and it was basically “if you are from the flood zone we will help you.” It was a disorganized mess even trying to assist people who really needed it.

But that doesn’t excuse the fact that a MEDICAL EXAM would’ve shown DeeDee was a liar. The muscular development in Gypsy’s legs would’ve shown that she was walking consistently and hadn’t been using a wheelchair exclusively for years. Among other tests that she never had cancer etc etc. 

So I agree with you, but it was MONTHS and years before things were in “working order” again in certain parts of Louisiana after Katrina. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

The news came out today that she and her husband are splitting up three months after she got released from prison.   Whodathunkit?

I never felt much positive feelings towards Gypsy - I took her for a grifter, just like mommy. She hooks up with a brain-damaged mental case who has multiple personalities and she thought it was all going to be sunshine and lollipops? She hints that she wants her mother dead to this wackjob and doesn't think he'll do it? She should have gotten more jail time, IMO. Then she gets out with some mess of a husband and goes onto talk shows and Twitter bragging about her sex life and having millions of followers? She's almost as trashy as Mama June.

She says she's going to live with her dad and his family in Louisiana for the time being.   I think she needs to get off social media for the foreseeable future - no more finding boyfriends/husbands from the internet.  Relax, sister. 

Edited by patty1h
  • Like 3

Not even a little surprised at the divorce. She didn’t love him. It was obvious in her interviews. She just felt like she Should love him and tried to convince herself.

Gypsy will always be a drama follower. Her mom raised her to lie. She was rewarded every time she acted how mommy wanted her to act in public.  She always knew the right things to say. She’s incredibly media savvy because her mom trained her to be since birth. She’s lived with lies and chaos her entire life. It’s all she knows. It’ll take a lot of therapy to learn to live a calm, boring, mundane life. I imagine she’ll create alot of chaos in her Dads life, as they seem well grounded. It’ll be a struggle to support her through all these adjustments. I don’t see her having a lasting relationship for quite a while. I see many exciting love affairs that end as soon as the excitement wears off. I hope she gets good mental health support. Poor kid’s had her brain (& body) twisted since birth. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Can you see her raising a kid?  I wonder if she would strive to be the best mother possible after being raised by a monster, or would her severe trauma, lack of education and other issues prevent her from putting her child(ren) first.   

I know she wrote a book -- let's hope she  still has some of that money to fall back on, cause who's gonna hire her?  I pray that she doesn't go the route of that Teen Mom Farrah , who had a kid, got implants and a nose job and started doing porn.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
(edited)

I hope that no sketchy production team gets ahold of her and pitches a reality show, which you know this woman will take for the dollars. She has no education, has never worked, has been in jail for murder, is living with family, just got divorced - what are her prospects?  Unless she learned a trade in prison, what can she do? I'm sure she would jump on a reality show for a quick payday. I could see her dad try to gave advice, but she's grown and probably would want whatever fee is offered.

The only thing that may put a damper on crafting a show for Gypsy is that she has such a nasty past and nothing going on currently - no husband or kids or job to focus on, no siblings or a crew of friends to hang out with. What would they film to fill the time? Let her go to prisons and talk to inmates? Please, do not have her going out on dates!

UPDATE:  TMZ dropped a story that Gypsy was seen at a tattoo parlor with a guy that she was engaged to for a short time while she was still in prison.   They got matching wolf tattoos, but they say that there is nothing going on between them.    Yeesh.  His name is Ken Urker if you want to look up more details. 

Edited by patty1h
(edited)
On 3/29/2024 at 2:25 PM, patty1h said:

The news came out today that she and her husband are splitting up three months after she got released from prison.   Whodathunkit?

I never felt much positive feelings towards Gypsy - I took her for a grifter, just like mommy. She hooks up with a brain-damaged mental case who has multiple personalities and she thought it was all going to be sunshine and lollipops? She hints that she wants her mother dead to this wackjob and doesn't think he'll do it? She should have gotten more jail time, IMO. Then she gets out with some mess of a husband and goes onto talk shows and Twitter bragging about her sex life and having millions of followers? She's almost as trashy as Mama June.

She says she's going to live with her dad and his family in Louisiana for the time being.   I think she needs to get off social media for the foreseeable future - no more finding boyfriends/husbands from the internet.  Relax, sister. 

Sympathy much? This goes for everyone.  This woman was used and abused her entire life since she was an infant. She is definitely messed up in the head and needs serious mental health therapy. And I hope she gets it soon. I can’t imagine what her life was like. It’s horrifying. This is all This this poor girl knows.

Edited by chediavolo
  • Like 1